Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
The report says, if I understand it correctly, that he doesn't want to return to training with Barcelona. I think we know how momentum works in cases like this. It's very much over, despite a couple of twjtter kids insisting it's not.

Okay so Pep wants him. He wants to go to Bayern. So what's the hold up? I doubt this has suddenly became the case over the last 48 hours.

It all seems very convenient that he's resolutely told the club he wants to move to A then agrees terms with A then he wants to move to B then B says they want him. And still....nothing? If club wanted player, player wanted club and all know of his release clause why the need for these days, possibly weeks of paralysis?

I think how close he was or indeed is to either club has and is still the subject of gross exaggeration. Possibly in a desire to get the scoop and to seem ahead of the curve. I'd not mind betting people genuinely had no clue who he's expressed a preference for but as the current tide seems to be with Bayern given the two respective manager's comments they're plumping for that as definitive in the hope they're right. After all let's not forget it was these same papers who said they were definitely sure he had agreed to join United at one time. They're just playing the 'any second now" game with the bus coming round the corner. They've no idea when it'll come but if they sound sure of themselves that they do, if it does they'll look ultra smart.

I didn't think Bayern would want tbh and thought that put us right in position to sign him up. How wrong was I? :lol:

And also, he can't be that worried about playing time if he has chosen Bayern.
Pep said at the press conference that he not only wants Thiago but he needs him because he has unique abilities no player at Bayern possesses. He said he can use him in any midfield role and he can even play as a striker, so playing time won't be an issue. We probably have to wait how true that is, I'm sure Pep thinks about more than just one season. He mentioned that Shaqiri can play several roles as well, for example, even play as a left back.

I posted a while back in one of the Guardiola/Bayern threads, that I believe Bayern's future in a few years might be a 343 with Shaqiri as a wing back and Alaba in midfield. It looks more and more likely that we see something comparable already in Pep's first year. Thiago would be perfect in such a system. I'm a bit worried, because signing Thiago might hinder the development of some of our own youth players, but in reality, the club wants to be at the top of europe, so signing a probably even bigger talent than what we have won't harm the club overall, at least not for €18m. We probably will make a profit if we sell any of our midfielders.

Bringing in two young players who are good enough to start after an incredible season isn't over the top. Two players with huge salaries already left (Gomez & Tymoshchuk) and there's more than enough time for other players to leave until the end of August (Gustavo for example), if they don't fit in with Pep's ideas. It's not a major overhaul of the squad, it's just building for the future and bringing in a few new players in to keep the mentality of the team in check, it doesn't allow anyone to relax, no one is sure of his starting spot in the team, not even Schweinsteiger, Ribery and Lahm.

Sport said that he was leaving and that it was expected to be to United, with Bayern still chasing. Sounds like they caught him.

At a guess he had three offers (at least) this week - from us, Bayern and Real Madrid, plus the option to stay at Barca. Everyone waited for him to decide, which he did on Wednesday (the Cope story ran Wednesday night) and then Guardiola and Bayern started making it official.

He hasnt said anything public for God sake. Sure all these cnuts were sayin that he'd made his mind up to come to us - without any quotes etc..

Dont believe the crap written - unless it regards us of course :smirk:

We seem to be negatively involved in a strange pattern for quite a number of high profile transfers. It seems that whenever twitter and media outlets report that we have agreed terms and are very close, nothing ultimately happens and it turns out to be made up.
then suddenly one or two twitter accounts/papers report that another club is interested/have got him and after United had thousands of fake reports... This turns out to be true and he's unveiled by the other club within a week.

It's funny how we never heard these 'going to Bayern' stories before Guardiola declared interest. As if prior to his words nobody said anything to the press. Suddenly after his comment, they've got the complete inside scoop. Everyone who wasn't saying anything was now telling all.

Just find that a little....odd.

Okay so Pep wants him. He wants to go to Bayern. So what's the hold up? I doubt this has suddenly became the case over the last 48 hours.

Who says there is a hold up? Maybe he just made up his mind now after receiving whatever assurances. If he wanted to go to United, what was the hold up there? We've been waiting for weeks. Now you've got both reports of Thiago telling Barcelona he wants to join Bayern and of Bayern talking to Barcelona.

It's funny how we never heard these 'going to Bayern' stories before Guardiola declared interest. As if prior to his words nobody said anything to the press. Suddenly after his comment, they've got the complete inside scoop. Everyone who wasn't saying anything was now telling all.

There have been talks that Bayern is an option. Then we had that report on Wednesday night in Barcelona that Thiago wants to join Bayern, then Guardiola talked. And maybe it made people look more into that.

I still have this niggly feeling that he'll choose us in the end. If he had wanted to go to Bayern, i reckon the deal would have been sealed by now, especially Pep's comments couple of days ago

Who says there is a hold up? Maybe he just made up his mind now after receiving whatever assurances. If he wanted to go to United, what was the hold up there? We've been waiting for weeks. Now you've got both reports of Thiago telling Barcelona he wants to join Bayern and of Bayern talking to Barcelona.

We've had reports of everything for weeks.

I have a hard time believing that these 'sources' said five minutes before the presser

"He wants to go to United. Always a fan of the PL. He's agreed a £5m a year deal.Deal should be finalised in next few days"

..then five minutes after Guardiola spoke...

(same source)

"Yeah he was always going to Bayern. He's a big friend of Pep's. He's got everything sorted out with them now, personal terms etc. He'll sign in next few days"

Call me a cynic but I see quite a lot of opportunistic journalism at hand. I think they're going with the perceived direction of travel as opposed to know he's got anything agreed or even a preference. Identical to the last few weeks.

feck man i'm fed up of utd being the bridesmaid.

When is it our turn to be a muppet bride :(

I still have this niggly feeling that he'll choose us in the end. If he had wanted to go to Bayern, i reckon the deal would have been sealed by now, especially Pep's comments couple of days ago

I thought this too until that MD article.

I think it's over now.

feck man i'm fed up of utd being the bridesmaid.

When is it our turn to be a muppet bride :(

We signed RVP last year.

We're not so much the bridesmaid as the bride who complains how unfair it is they can't have a new husband seconds after the marriage is consummated .

We signed RVP last year.

We're not so much the bridesmaid as the bride who complains how unfair it is they can't have a new husband seconds after the marriage is consummated .

That was so last summer Stickles.

Articles from the Spanish press were posted on here almost everyday during the 'saga' and even the ones heavily linking him to us had that Pep and Bayern were waiting in the wings. Most on here just chose to ignore it as a link just because its his old manager but obviously there was more to it than that.

Let's just focus on the tour lads. Valiant effort I'm sure by our club. Pep came in at last minute.

Call me a cynic but I see quite a lot of opportunistic journalism at hand. I think they're going with the perceived direction of travel as opposed to know he's got anything agreed or even a preference. Identical to the last few weeks.

I'm sure there is, but we still have to see the difference between twitter stuff - even twitter stuff posted by journalists - to what they actually agree to write in newspapers or websites. Anyhow, even some of those reports left a wide enough gap for Thiago to slip through the net, by claiming 'United believe there's a good chance' and things like that.

The longer this saga continued the less confident I was. I thought that if this was such a great deal for Thiago in terms of football and money, he'd have taken it. Obviously he had doubts.

Our caf expert on all things Spain, jojojo, basically said it's as good as done. FCbarca thinks it's done too. We tried.

It all makes sense tbh after Robo's comments.

I'm not saying the interest wasnt there Mainoldo but Pep put final nail in the coffin in my opinion.

Still think people are jumping to conclusions here. If he signs for Bayern - fine. Let's just see. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 'dramatic twist' before the weekend is out.

Whoever the lad is that got his United shirt signed by Thiago, I feel really bad for him.

I hope jojojo and FCBarca are wrong but I just cannot see it. Going for a walk now and then first game of our tour! :devil:

There's a good chance that Pep wanted to work with the team for a while before making a decision about approaching Thiago, get to know all the players and their strength, work with a few of the youth players to see if they can add something new to the team. It's probably no coincidence that he made his interest public at the end of the trainings camp press conference. Maybe Thiago waited to make a decision until he knew if Pep has a place for him or not. If that's the case, it's most likely a done deal now.

I still think there's a reasonable chance he might end up here. The papers have been wrong on a lot of the details and, as always, seem to be writing made-up articles based on the tiniest tidbits of information and hearsay. That might of course include our reported interest in Thiago in the first place, but seeing as that's been reported for so long I think there's probably something to it. The Bayern stuff in the last few days, on the other hand, has been knee-jerk by comparison.

As far as the Moyes' and Pep's press conferences go, I don't think anyone heard anything conclusive from either. Moyes refused to confirm interest in Thiago but said our dealings were going well. That may have included any talks with Thiago, but nobody knows at this point.

As for Pep, his press conference seemed like a go-and-sign-him plea to an unconvinced Bayern board, and an attempted justification of why his tactics might work (who the hell does that?). I wouldn't be surprised if neither Bayern nor Thiago are completely sold on the idea given the strength of the squad already. Of course, they might be, but I'm going to assume as little as possible, other than the fact the press are probably wrong until we see actual quotes. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he was announced as a United player in the next couple of days.

We tend to believe the momentum of media narratives. Last week, we were quite confident he was coming here as a result of the twittervese retweeting their own speculation and it subsequently being discussed to death on web forums. This week, the opposite has happened. In truth, we don't know where things stand until there is an official announcement from the player or his receiving club.

We tend to believe the momentum of media narratives. Last week, we were quite confident he was coming here as a result of the twittervese retweeting their own speculation and it subsequently being discussed to death on web forums. This week, the opposite has happened. In truth, we don't know where things stand until there is an official announcement from the player or his receiving club.

If we knew anything we'd know it by now.

I still maintain that it was a strange thing to do to publicly announce "We want you" towards a player who was signing anyway. I don't get what was gained from that. Especially before the clubs have even opened a dialogue. They didn't strike me as the actions/comments of a club who had the deal in the bag.

Well the one thing we definitely know is Pep wants him. Based on that fact, we can deduce the direction this is likely to go.

We can deduce whatever we want but it would be nothing more than speculation.
Yeah, it's still speculation but at least it's based on reliable info and not some twitter ITK account.

Exactly man. The same logic should be applied as to when we were constantly told that it was a done deal Thiago was coming to us.

Yeah. That was kind of me telling you that stuff rather than The Guardian and that, but in principle you're not entirely wrong. You're mostly wrong; probably entirely; but at least you've got your chin up and that's what counts at the end of the day.

It was really as strange move by Pep if you think about it. IF the deal was as close as all the papers are saying, why would he need to come out and say THIAGO I LOVE YOU PLS JOIN ME XXXX

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it was a hail mary.

Sod it though, if the kid leaves Barcelona and joins Bayern its jumping out of the pan and into the fire. We are the only club out of the choices who could offer the type of game time he supposedly wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.