Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never call for threads to be locked, but that was a good shout from the modmins imo as emotions were far too high in here for sensible posting.

Any buzz about him in Germany? Seems the usual stuff on twitter.

Well on the English speaking Bayern forum they don't seem overly enamoured with the idea to say the least.

Posts such as:
Please no.

You dont say?
frown.gif

I pray to god that this story only is a duck. Kroos must not get sold under any circumstances, i can't believe Sammer, Uli and KHR have agreed to sign this player, we're stacked in midfield with top German talents, we've should of course count on them, not Thiago, not anybody else.

Manchester United is way better destination for Thiago in terms of playing time, please go there or stay your ass put in Barca for crying out loud.

And on Barcaforum a lot of the posters think that he won't get more game time there as he's leaving a team with world class players ahead of him in midfield for another one:

I'd be curious to know if Bayern have agreed to the written clause (min exit clause dependant on pitch time) he had with us, and one he was allegedly negotiating with Man Utd, or Pep's sweet-talking was all that was required. Because if its the latter, Thiago could come to regret this decision. Verbal guarantees these days mean nothing. Its quite clear Pep is acting in his own interest, without much regard to Thiago's long term future. Pep wants to eliminate any complacency that could creep in at the back of a treble-winning season, by injecting more competition, and hunger in to the squad. Thiago, however, will still 've to earn his mins, and be on his A-game from the get-go. His nonchalance, and lapses will certainly not go too well with the partisan German media, and fans, considering there is zero margin for error in a treble winning team, and that his presence alone would be compromising the future of a local talent. And we know pep is a hard-task master, and whilst he can give you assurances, he's ruthless at disciplining the player if his expectations are not met, and for him the the name of the player is impertinent (including his own transfers).
Thiago still needs to mature his game, and current Bayern is not conducive. He needs freedom to play through his errors and a forgiving ambience. United would 've been better, outside Barca. Thiago's decision seems more an emotional than rational. Pep won't stay long at Bayern, and neither will Thiago imho. And i wont be surprised if he'd be seeking a new club in 2 years time. Lack of stability can ruin a player's career.

so Bayern fans don't want him, Barça fans think United will be better for him and don't want him strengthening the team that beat them 7-0 over two legs, and we are crying out for him. Sucks if he doesn't end up here (still clinging).

Pep made it public he wants to sign Thiago. To me it seemed more desperation than anything else. Maybe Thiago was set to join United when Pep made a plea to Thiago in his statement. So I would not rule out Thiago joining us. Fingers crossed.

On the other hand Guardiola also has pissed off Barcelona with some of the statements he has made in his press conference and maybe Barca might tell him to piss off. Some might argue that due to Thiago's release clause Barca might not be able to do that but you'll never know despite all the odds what can happen and how Barca just might do enough to keep Thiago from joining Bayern.

Barcelona can surely make it difficult to say the least if they really wanted to. They could lose the papers or be late to meetings or something. I don't know how transfers really work behind the scenes.

No Gotze? I wonder what will be Bayern best line up now, and we can pick up the remaining.

Of course, I had forgotten.

Martinez​
Schweiny Thiago​
Muller Goetze Ribery​
?​
I guess we'll find out how much of Pep's love of 'unusual' formations at Barca was down to personnel or ideals, it's safe to say that Bayern isn't broken and probably shouldn't be fixed. Will we see the false 9 formation or a back three he used at Barca?​
Probably the smart thing to do would be leave Thiago on the bench and play:​
Schweiny Martinez​
Muller Goetze Ribery​
Mandzukic​

I never call for threads to be locked, but that was a good shout from the modmins imo as emotions were far too high in here for sensible posting.

Well on the English speaking Bayern forum they don't seem overly enamoured with the idea to say the least.

Posts such as:

And on Barcaforum a lot of the posters think that he won't get more game time there as he's leaving a team with world class players ahead of him in midfield for another one:

so Bayern fans don't want him, Barça fans think United will be better for him and don't want him strengthening the team that beat them 7-0 over two legs, and we are crying out for him. Sucks if he doesn't end up here (still clinging).

Why don't the Bayern supporters not want him? Any team/squad would be improved with this guy in it... I guess it's due to Pep bringing in a bit too much change, too soon, and possibly changing up a winning formula so soon?

If they do sign him though they will have an absolutely ridiculous squad (especially if they sign Lewandowski too). Surely any one of Ribery, Kroos, Robben and Muller are in trouble though? Someone's going to have to make-way for Goetze and Thiago.

Of course, I had forgotten.

Martinez
Schweiny Thiago
Muller Goetze Ribery
?
I guess we'll find out how much of Pep's love of 'unusual' formations at Barca was down to personnel or ideals, it's safe to say that Bayern isn't broken and probably shouldn't be fixed. Will we see the false 9 formation or a back three he used at Barca?
Probably the smart thing to do would be leave Thiago on the bench and play:
Schweiny Martinez​
Muller Goetze Ribery​
Mandzukic​

To not fit Kroos in there after his fantastic start last season is quite telling. How Thiago is up for as much of tough task at Bayern as he is at Barcelona. Fearsome competition.

Why don't the Bayern supporters not want him? Any team/squad would be improved with this guy in it... I guess it's due to Pep bringing in a bit too much change, too soon, and possibly changing up a winning formula so soon?

If they do sign him though they will have an absolutely ridiculous squad (especially if they sign Lewandowski too). Surely any one of Ribery, Kroos, Robben and Muller are in trouble though? Someone's going to have to make-way for Goetze and Thiago.

Maybe Kroos and Robben will make way?

They think the team is already well balanced and has an abundance if good CMs already. They also seem quite passionate about their own German players.

I hope Mundo Deportivo is wrong when it says United never even contacted Barcelona. That would be painful on many levels.

Mundo Deportivo have taken Moyes saying "I never said we were in for him" (or what ever the exact quote was) as a straight denial, which is a bit unfortunate because it seems quite cold in contrast to Pep practically declaring his undying love for Thiago.

Im pretty sure the transfer won't hinge on that, but its how its been reported over there. The other day MD claimed Rio called Cristiano "ridiculous" as a big negative when it was a compliment lost in translation.

I hope Mundo Deportivo is wrong when it says United never even contacted Barcelona. That would be painful on many levels.

Why? I should imagine United contacted Thiago and his reps and once we were told he was interested in Bayern we never bothered.

Why? I should imagine United contacted Thiago and his reps and once we were told he was interested in Bayern we never bothered.

The article also says that Bayern's interest only became concrete in the last few days. Again, it's all just paper speculation, obviously, but I hope they're wrong because they suggest we're missing out on him because of taking our sweet time with the transfer.

Or, we wanted to get stuff sorted with the player before contacting Barca to negotiate the final bit (the transfer fee). Which means making no contact with Barca =/= not trying to push for a transfer.

I'd love to sign Kroos but he seems to much of a Bayern player to ever leave them.

I'd try for Luiz Gustavo. He won't really get games, he's a very good player and he would definitely improve our midfield options.

Thats quite presumptuous because nobody really knows Thiago's interests, let alone that we backed off because he's interested in Bayern.

Well I can't think of any other reason why we haven't contacted Barca. The people running the club aren't incompetent as some might believe

Well I can't think of any other reason why we haven't contacted Barca. The people running the club aren't incompetent as some might believe

You don't know that we never contacted barca. This may come as a shock, but sometimes, newspapers print things that are made up.

I am well aware of that. I was going on the assumption that we haven't contacted them

You're also assuming Thiago prefers Bayern and that we backed off because of it. It's a lot of guesswork.
All we know is that Pep definitely wants him.

We don't know how far United are/were in the negotiation process and we don't know what Thiago wants.

If MD are reporting that Thiago has already conveyed to the club he wants to go to Bayern, then that's all she wrote really

Were they not the same paper that said Thiago to Utd was immiment?.

Until its officially announced and he's holding up the shirt I don't believe all this paper crap.

Players tend to go with managers they know, especially if they got a proven track record. Thiago will probably go to Bayern, Felliani will come to Manchester.

Can someone fill me in as to what has happened in the past 24 hours and what Guardiola has said? been away... cheers guys

He basically said he wants Thiago. He told the Bayern board to get him and its him or nothing. Moyes in his press conference yesterday said "I never said he was a target". Based on that, a lot of people have concluded he's off to Bayern.

I may have missed something out but thats the bits I remember/know

I didn't think Bayern would want tbh and thought that put us right in position to sign him up. How wrong was I? :lol:

And also, he can't be that worried about playing time if he has chosen Bayern.

To be fair this seems to be the pattern of transfers for our clubs so far this summer, apart from City none of us have made really noteworthy signings and its a bit disappointing that all our targets are going elsewhere, although I can understand going to Bayern, but not Monaco!

Were they not the same paper that said Thiago to Utd was immiment?.

Until its officially announced and he's holding up the shirt I don't believe all this paper crap.

Sport said that he was leaving and that it was expected to be to United, with Bayern still chasing. Sounds like they caught him.

At a guess he had three offers (at least) this week - from us, Bayern and Real Madrid, plus the option to stay at Barca. Everyone waited for him to decide, which he did on Wednesday (the Cope story ran Wednesday night) and then Guardiola and Bayern started making it official.

I didn't think Bayern would want tbh and thought that put us right in position to sign him up. How wrong was I? :lol:

And also, he can't be that worried about playing time if he has chosen Bayern.

He trusts Pep, I think it's as simple as that. Pep's brother probably trusts Pep as well.

Is he not due to report back to Barca for pre-season training on Monday week? Let's see whether he's there or given permission not to

Status
Not open for further replies.