Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought something had actually happened for a minute there :lol:

He's been quite professional about this whole thing I reckon. People read far too much into things like twitter and instagram these days.

I still think we're in with a damn good shout here lads as disheartening as some twitfeck reports are. feck pleb garden-mola and his new midfield. Thiago can come here to supply through balls for Bebe to blast into row z and slug pints in the bishops.

I still think he'll stay at Barca to be honest. Unless Guardiola is willing to dislodge one of Bayern's midfield, which would be silly.

I think he's set for Bayern.

It's interesting still for a few reasons:

1. Reports said we were very close, how close will come out in time but there's a fraction of hope left and will be til he signs for someone else.

2. Why did Guardiola go so public? If he was so confident why didn't he wrap it up and have done with it? Spanish Transfer culture? Pressure on the Bayern boardroom? Gettin back at Rossel with a public approach? In reality he will have surely been in contact with his brother prior to the press conference and will have known full well that Thiago wants to join him.

3. The Bayern board seem to have given their backing to sign him but what will happen if the €18m turns into €27M+ once tax has been forced upon it by the none too happy Barcelona board?

1. Reports said we were very close, how close will come out in time but there's a fraction of hope left and will be til he signs for someone else.

2. Why did Guardiola go so public? If he was so confident why didn't he wrap it up and have done with it? Spanish Transfer culture? Pressure on the Bayern boardroom? Gettin back at Rossel with a public approach? In reality he will have surely been in contact with his brother prior to the press conference and will have known full well that Thiago wants to join him.

3. The Bayern board seem to have given their backing to sign him but what will happen if the €18m turns into €27M+ once tax has been forced upon it by the none too happy Barcelona board?

Do you think, after Pep's comments, that Barca will make it difficult for Bayern? Is there a chance they might get stroppy and offer him to us at the original release clause?

Like yourself, I'm fairly certain that he'll go to Bayern, if he leaves but bad blood between the clubs could scupper any deal and i think, at one point at least, Thiago was close to joining us.

I think Guardiola wants him for the future, but he wouldn't get any more playing time there than he would at Barcelona. Unless (like I said before) Guardiola's prepared to tinker with the midfield of one of the best ever German club sides. I'd like to think that a young footballer such as Thiago is willing to stick to his guns and get more playing time rather than just a wage rise.

Do you think, after Pep's comments, that Barca will make it difficult for Bayern? Is there a chance they might get stroppy and offer him to us at the original release clause?

Like yourself, I'm fairly certain that he'll go to Bayern, if he leaves but bad blood between the clubs could scupper any deal and i think, at one point at least, Thiago was close to joining us.

I think they might try to make it difficult, but it'll be down to Thiago at the end of the day thanks to the release clause he had put in. If he wants to go to Bayern and he is the only transfer Pep wants then you'd assume the treble winning European Champions and one of the biggest clubs in the world and one of the most financially sound could throw a few million the right way to get it done.

I'd have him now at 85% to Bayern, 10% to us and 5% to stay at Barca.

I think he is too. The second point is an interesting one. It had leaked the night before for whatever reason, and with it looking close, Guardiola probably felt it best to be honest about it and perhaps put that bit of pressure on Bayern to get it sealed.

For point 3, I don't think that will happen.

I think Guardiola wants him for the future, but he wouldn't get any more playing time there than he would at Barcelona. Unless (like I said before) Guardiola's prepared to tinker with the midfield of one of the best ever German club sides. I'd like to think that a young footballer such as Thiago is willing to stick to his guns and get more playing time rather than just a wage rise.

I think he would. From the sound of things Guardiola is going to tinker with the side a little bit as he probably wants to make his own mark and it looks like Martinez will be playing at center back. We'll see.

I think Pep, if he signs him, will put him straight into the team. I dare say he probably thinks Thiago is a better player than Martinez or anyone else in the midfield, bar Schweinsteiger.

I think Pep, if he signs him, will put him straight into the team. I dare say he probably thinks Thiago is a better player than Martinez or anyone else in the midfield, bar Schweinsteiger.
He would quickly realise he's wrong.

They've got great balance within the team, and although he's not there to do exactly what Heynckes did, he's not there to reinvent the wheel either.

He would quickly realise he's wrong.

They've got great balance within the team, and although he's not there to do exactly what Heynckes did, he's not there to reinvent the wheel either.

He did things his way at Barca, who at the time were a bigger club, with bigger players and egos. No reason why he won't do the same again. He'll have plenty of opportunities to tinker as much as he likes in the Bundesliga, though. they really only have a handful of tough games. Tbh, Thiago probably is better than the majority of their midfield.

:lol: I bet you cursed him too. Its okay, I thought the same.

I didn't curse him, I just chucked at what a sad life he must live. His total post count is barely 400% of what I have posted in this thread alone. He's clearly a loser!

He did things his way at Barca, who at the time were a bigger club, with bigger players and egos. No reason why he won't do the same again. He'll have plenty of opportunities to tinker as much as he likes in the Bundesliga, though. they really only have a handful of tough games. Tbh, Thiago probably is better than the majority of their midfield.

Think you're grossly underestimating them. Despite fitness issues, Xavi was always there. Despite the clause, he couldn't get 30 games. And this is the team who were knocked out by the team he'll join?

Martinez and Schweinsteiger are not only superior, but fit into their style more. They've then got Robben and Ribery, then Kroos, Muller and Gotze. I'd probably sit him between Kroos and Gotze at the moment. I know you say he could try out a new system, but it wasn't really knew at Barca. Yes, there was more emphasis on pressing and a fast tempo, but it's not dissimilar to what they'd been taught as kids. It was built around incisive passers who moved quickly into space. Barca's players were more set on that than Bayern's are.

Of course he could ignore what I'm saying and go ahead and adopt a new system and while he'll probably win the league, there's no chance they'll defend the CL. And you can quote me on that.

95% Bayern bound i reckon.

One or two muppets on Twitter still 100% adamant he's coming to us, but they've only been users for maybe a month and have like 300 tweets between them. WUMS

Looking to the bright side, maybe we could make a cheeky bid to some of the outstanding Bayern midfielders instead

And why would you would sign for Pep at Bayern considering that Pep didnt play him that much either in Barca.

edit: fecking keyboard is jumping all over the place.

When Guardiola took over Barca in 2008, that certainly was not the case. They were outclassed by Real in the league and finished the season without a title. He had a lot of freedom to make changes, because Rijkaard´s way was not working anymore. He turned the team into the best of the world.

Now he is taking over the best. The situations are very different. Bayern was a perfect running machine in the last season, winning everything in a truly dominant fashion. He is basically trying to change a system (after announcing to only make "small changes"), when there is absolutely no need to do so.

It is of course understandable that Guardiola wants to make an impact at Bayern, but the expectations and also risks are higher now than 2008.

When Guardiola took over Barca in 2008, that certainly was not the case. They were outclassed by Real in the league and finished the season without a title. He had a lot of freedom to make changes, because Rijkaard´s way was not working anymore. He turned the team into the best of the world.

Now he is taking over the best. The situations are very different. Bayern was a perfect running machine in the last season, winning everything in a truly dominant fashion. He is basically trying to change a system (after announcing to only make "small changes"), when there is absolutely no need to do so.

It is of course understandable that Guardiola wants to make an impact at Bayern, but the expectations and also risks are higher now than 2008.

I'm sorry. I could have sworn he inherited a team including Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Toure, Puyol, Henry and Eto'o. No big players or big egos there, my mistake.

Has a team ever managed to retain the Champions League?

Has a team ever managed to retain the Champions League?

Good point. If I didn't intrepret that one incorrectly, I assume there's never any team who has managed to retain CL without any minor change made.

I was using Rhetoric to suggest that perhaps a change is needed. I'd guess that teams that achieve that in a season do so at a peak and fresh ideas are needed to keep players sharp and opposition guessing.

Most teams have a 3-4 years cycle. Question is whether their higher ups think Bayern is on a downward cycle? I suspect is a year or two from that. They certainly have a good succession planning in place for their players. All very logical, very cherman.

This SW article was missed during the lock:

Barcelona have repeated a couple of times throughout the Thiago saga that they had not had direct contact from Manchester United. The Old Trafford club seemed to be prepared to wait until every detail was 100% with Thiago until making a move on Barcelona, but they were leaving things late with the player due to return to training on Monday. It appeared Thiago wanted to get as much out of his summer break in terms of time and therefore leave it until the end of this week and the coming weekend.
mundothiago5.PNG

Catalan newspaper Mundo Deportivo say that reports of a deal being done with Bayern Munich are not true, but it could be soon, perhaps over the next couple of days. The German side have contacted Barcelona but not attempted to activate a buy-out clause just as yet, and that won't be as straightforward as it sounds. Right now they are clearly in the box seat as the only club to have publicly said they want the player and the only club to have actually contacted Barcelona.
When the Bundesliga champions did contact their Spanish counterparts they were met with an unhappy Sandro Rosell, who was angry after an attack from Pep Guardiola in his earlier press conference. Guardiola made a surprise attack on those in charge at Barcelona who he said hadn't kept a promise to leave him alone whilst he was in New York. Mundo reckon that Bayern Munich tried to smooth over this trouble and told Rosell they weren't happy with the situation either.
Mundo explain that they don't think Bayern Munich will pay Thiago's buy-out fee but rather negotiate a separate amount, to avoid the player being landed with a tax bill and to make the deal more amicable. If Manchester United still have hope then that's where it lies. If Rosell is seriously cheesed off with Guardiola and Bayern Munich, then he's less likely to be a happy negotiator.
However, if Manchester United never even made contact with Barcelona then it makes you wonder how they ever expected to get a deal sorted out quickly and amicably. The problems relating to his buy-out clause could have been settled before Bayern Munich swooped in late. By all accounts in Spain and Germany, Guardiola has been interested for some time but it's only over the last few days that it became a serious effort rather than simply an idea.
Thiago at Bayern Munich would provide a selection headache for Guardiola, but a nice problem to have for a coach unless it leads to outright mutiny. Mundo say he'd implement a 3-4-3 system with Martinez pushed back to be the only central defender. That would push Brazilian international Dante and German international Badstuber out of the team, the latter could prove to be more problematic. Last season Badstuber struggled with injuries but he's played over 30 games for Germany at the age of just 24, he's from Bavaria and come through the Bayern Munich youth system.
A 4-1-4-1 system, which Robben says they've been moulded into during training, would give more room to accommodate Badstuber or Dante, but less room in midfield.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...-bayern-munich-manchester-united-have-small-c

If the above article is true and he does go to Bayern I'd find that quite damning on our transfer policy.

However if he does go to Bayern...cheeky bid for Kroos anyone? There simply isn't room for all these players at Bayern. Especially with Lewy coming in next summer. Poor Xerdan Shaqiri :lol:

I refuse to believe that all these clubs have better people negotiating deals than us, not significant enough for it to be the difference between signing the best young talents and not doing. I mean, surely a well run club like ours can hire some competent people to do the deals. Let's not forget that Chelsea brought in some quality players on the back of their CL win.
Perhaps? It's inconclusive at the moment but it's well-known the Glazers are stingy over money.

Status
Not open for further replies.