Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get why everyone is up in arms about this. Bayerns interest has been reported for weeks, pretty much always been mentioned as "also interested" in nearly every article linking him with us.

Just because Pep has publicly confirmed this, only now everyone acts like it's breaking news?

Nobody really knew for sure that they were interested, especially considering their very good midfield options and if they were it was assumed that we'd be prepared to go the extra distance to sign him. The quotes though show real intent on getting him considering Thiago's agent is also Peps brother and Thiago appears to have a very good relationship with Pep, Bayern are in a very good position if he does leave.

ix3JJZQfZCRXd.gif

That reminds me. I thought Jack Nicholson had died until he was in something the other week and I mentioned it to a friend who insisted he wasn't.

I'm just curious as to how Bayern are going to lineup

-------------------Neuer----------------------
---------Lahm----------------Alaba----------
--Ribery--Alcantara--Schweinsteiger--Robben
-----------Muller-----Kroos-----Goetze-------
------------------Mandzukic------------------

:confused:

*Moyes should be dignified and calm in press conferences but he should also scream the names of our targets into the nearest microphone.

This sounds like a good idea on paper, but wait until we go after Blaszczykowski and Khizanishvili, and Moyes ends up with no voice with which to shout instructions during our matches.

Given Guardiola's obsession with midfielders, they'd probably move Martinez back and play Gotze as a false 9.​
Neuer​
Lahm Martinez Dante Alaba​
Schweinsteiger​
Kroos Thiago​
Muller Gotze Ribery​

If anything I would think the Pep quotes should be seen as a positive for some. Last night most believed the COPE story that he'd already signed/chosen Bayern, Pep's quotes basically prove that isn't true and only confirms what we already expected in that Bayern are interested.

This is exactly why this so called Bayern's interest is a joke. Even some solid German journo said it's astonishing.

I know feck-all about running a football club but here's what I demand United does in future to avoid such episodes of shame and teeth-gnashing:

*Start tracking our transfer targets early but don't rush into anything.

*Moyes should be dignified and calm in press conferences but he should also scream the names of our targets into the nearest microphone.

*Keep all our potential deals private but also tell us loyal fans who we're not signing in regular bulletins.

*Sack all the new backroom staff & bring back the old staff who we thought were terrible and useless. Then sack them and get more glamorous people in.

*Sell the club and use the profits to sign superstars.

This deserves to be quoted in all threads

Atm it looks like:

Neuer​
Lahm--Boateng--Dante--Alaba​
Martinez​
Robben--Schweinsteiger--Thiago--Ribery​
Müller​
Götze will rotate either with players on the wing or Müller as the false 9.​
Shaqiri will be cover for both wings.​
Kroos will rotate with Schweinsteiger and Thiago.​
Luiz Gustavo will be backup for Martinez.​
Badstuber will probably replace Boateng or Dante once he is fit again.​

Pep wouldn't say that if he didn't know he was likely to sign for them. Peps brother is thiagos agent, pep will know exactly what thiago is thinking/wanting... unless it's a desperate attempt but I don't think he is that desperate

No strikers. Thought they had Lewandowski in the bag and they have the leagues top scorer who I can't see them dropping.

It doesn't work

Bayern don't have the leagues top scorer? Mandzukic was their leading scorer and he only managed to get 21 goals in all competitions. The striker position is definitely their weak point and since Lewandowski is going there next season, they'll probably use the above formation (the one you quoted) for this season with Gotze as a false 9.

Atm it looks like:

Neuer​
Martinez​
Müller​
Götze will rotate either with players on the wing or Müller as the false 9.​
Shaqiri will be cover for both wings.​
Kroos will rotate with Schweinsteiger and Thiago.​
Luiz Gustavo will be backup for Martinez.​
Badstuber will probably replace Boateng or Dante once he is fit again.​

Exactly. It's a very good and flexible formation. I doubt Kroos will be that disappointed if he ends up being the first back-up midfielder, he'll still get to play 30-40 games a season. Replace Robben with Götze on the right though, he'll be a guaranteed starter more often than not.

No strikers. Thought they had Lewandowski in the bag and they have the leagues top scorer who I can't see them dropping.

It doesn't work
We have neither Lewandowski nor the league's top scorer (Kießling) next season. Gomez and Tymoshchuk left, Badstuber is out for the season, we bought a young centerback in Kirchhoff, Götze and are interested in Thiago. The squad depth isn't really different to last year and if we play one of Müller/Götze as a false 9, the midfield isn't such a big problem. And Robben will probably miss 5-6 month injured anyway.

Pep wouldn't say that if he didn't know he was likely to sign for them. Peps brother is thiagos agent, pep will know exactly what thiago is thinking/wanting... unless it's a desperate attempt but I don't think he is that desperate
Pep's comments alone aren't the worst bid here, Moyes could basically say the same thing right now and it wouldn't make us certain to buy him. It's that a) he used to manage him at Barca, b) he played him a lot during his Barca days, c) his brother is his agent which will make it far easier to convince him, that make me think it'll be nearly impossible for us to lure him now.

Why the hell is Moyes not using his agent as a brother?. Does Moyes even have a brother?!.

Atleast Moyes has hair I suppose. Pep 1 Moyes 1.

Bayern don't have the leagues top scorer? Mandzukic was their leading scorer and he only managed to get 21 goals in all competitions. The striker position is definitely their weak point and since Lewandowski is going there next season, they'll probably use the above formation (the one you quoted) for this season with Gotze as a false 9.

Still plenty of reasons (in my reply to your post a few pages back, for example) why it doesn't make sense, and is probably a worse approach than just sticking with the system Bayern used to shit on everyone last season, with the added quality of Gotze.

I have to say, I've always been one of those arguing that Pep was genuinely a top quality manager, and that the fact that he had only succeeded with Barca didn't necessarily mean he wouldn't do just as well elsewhere. But he's slightly stepping on that point if he goes to Bayern, a completely different sort of club, and his approach is just to try and turn them into Barca Mk II.

Atm it looks like:

Neuer​
Martinez​
Müller​
Götze will rotate either with players on the wing or Müller as the false 9.
Shaqiri will be cover for both wings.
Kroos will rotate with Schweinsteiger and Thiago.
Luiz Gustavo will be backup for Martinez.
Badstuber will probably replace Boateng or Dante once he is fit again.

Robben won't start more then likely. People need to get it out of their mind that he was a starter last season because he wasn't. I understand that most people on here would have only watched Bayern play against Arsenal, Barcelona and Dortmund, but they need to understand that he was not first choice. He only started against Barca and Dortmund because Kroos got injured for the rest of the season in the quarter finals. Robben made 16 appearances (not all starts even) in the league last season. What makes people think he's going to go back to being a key player again, based on a few big game performances, compared to an entire season of Kroos being amazing for Bayern? Muller will go out to the wing in that lineup, Gotze as a false 9 or rotating with Muller, but both will be starting. Pep said that he plans for Martinez to play in defence (to be fair though, he also said that Shaqiri can play left back and Mandzukic can play defence as well :lol:), and that way Kroos will also go into that midfield alongside Thiago and Schweinsteiger.

Still plenty of reasons (in my reply to your post a few pages back, for example) why it doesn't make sense, and is probably a worse approach than just sticking with the system Bayern used to shit on everyone last season, with the added quality of Gotze.

I have to say, I've always been one of those arguing that Pep was genuinely a top quality manager, and that the fact that he had only succeeded with Barca didn't necessarily mean he wouldn't do just as well elsewhere. But he's slightly stepping on that point if he goes to Bayern, a completely different sort of club, and his approach is just to try and turn them into Barca Mk II.

Personally, I thought that the only thing lacking from Bayern last season was a top class striker like Lewandowski. Bringing Lewandowski into that starting 11 would have made them perfectly balanced all over the pitch, and they would only need cover.
Neuer
Lahm Badstuber Dante Alaba
Martinez Schweiny
Muller Kroos Ribery
Lewandowski

In my opinion that is better then anything they will probably come up with next season. Signing Gotze messed up the balance of the team and it creates problems as to how Muller and Kroos will fit in, unless he plans on using Gotze out of position as a false 9 (still not as good as using an actual striker). Signing Thiago as well would be overkill, but manageable. But I maintain that signing Gotze from the start is not a step forward for them, as crazy as it sounds.

In my opinion the only reason for Pep stating this publicly is that Thiago wants to go there but the board are reluctant on buying. But then would he really play games with his own directors so early on into his tenure?

Can't really blame United if the lad wants to join his former coach at Bayern especially if he's guaranteed game time. I'm sure we worked hard on the deal but the lure of Bayern was too strong. Move on, we're signing Vidal !

We have neither Lewandowski nor the league's top scorer (Kießling) next season. Gomez and Tymoshchuk left, Badstuber is out for the season, we bought a young centerback in Kirchhoff, Götze and are interested in Thiago. The squad depth isn't really different to last year and if we play one of Müller/Götze as a false 9, the midfield isn't such a big problem. And Robben will probably miss 5-6 month injured anyway.

I thought you had a done deal for Lewandowski and Mandzukic had a great season so would seem bizarre to not play him.

To me that formation and set up just screams of shoe horning players into positions. All the top players can't play and it would certainly cause unrest IMO

Robben won't start more then likely. People need to get it out of their mind that he was a starter last season because he wasn't. I understand that most people on here would have only watched Bayern play against Arsenal, Barcelona and Dortmund, but they need to understand that he was not first choice. He only started against Barca and Dortmund because Kroos got injured for the rest of the season in the quarter finals. Robben made 16 appearances (not all starts even) in the league last season. What makes people think he's going to go back to being a key player again, based on a few big game performances, compared to an entire season of Kroos being amazing for Bayern? Muller will go out to the wing in that lineup, Gotze as a false 9 or rotating with Muller, but both will be starting. Pep said that he plans for Martinez to play in defence (to be fair though, he also said that Shaqiri can play left back and Mandzukic can play defence as well :lol:), and that way Kroos will also go into that midfield alongside Thiago and Schweinsteiger.

First off I'm German ans watch pretty much every Bundesliga game I have time to watch and despite me having little love for them Bayern is among it quite often because it's a fascinating team to watch.

Well so far it sounded as if Pep thinks very highly of Robben and while I'm actually a total Robben hater I have to admit that his way of playing has changed quite radically last season, he want from being an insufferable ego-player to a great team player who busted his ass for the team and was quite instrumental in them winning the treble last season.

On top of that Guardiola never said he plans to play Martinez in defense, he says that he can play there and do an excellent job like he did for Bilbao, these comments were only amid to show how flexible the squad is.

Of course Schweinsteiger could play as a DM with Kroos and Thiago in front of them and Martinez in defense in a squad that is as flexible as the one Bayern has atm.

So far I doubt that Guardiola has a clear starting lineup, especially after his comments on who can play which positions, so I don't see a reason why Robben shouldn't find a place in this team if he continues his form and attitude of the second half of last season.

Of course he might be out with injuries for the majority of the season like usual and the problem will solve itself.

I thought you had a done deal for Lewandowski and Mandzukic had a great season so would seem bizarre to not play him.

To me that formation and set up just screams of shoe horning players into positions. All the top players can't play and it would certainly cause unrest IMO

I don't think Robben or Ribery are necessarily Pep's type of players.

He doesn't really use direct wingers too much, atleast not as a starting plan A.

Personally, I thought that the only thing lacking from Bayern last season was a top class striker like Lewandowski. Bringing Lewandowski into that starting 11 would have made them perfectly balanced all over the pitch, and they would only need cover.
Neuer
Martinez Schweiny
Muller Kroos Ribery
Lewandowski

In my opinion that is better then anything they will probably come up with next season. Signing Gotze messed up the balance of the team and it creates problems as to how Muller and Kroos will fit in, unless he plans on using Gotze out of position as a false 9 (still not as good as using an actual striker). Signing Thiago as well would be overkill, but manageable. But I maintain that signing Gotze from the start is not a step forward for them, as crazy as it sounds.

That is crazy. Götze fits perfectly in the team and can play several positions and without any major injuries will be the best german play of this generation. Not signing him would be just wrong. The problem isn't really that Thiago won't fit in, the only problem is that there might be trouble if some of the players won't get enough playing time. But then we still could sell someone in January, maybe send Shaqiri on loan for a year until Robben is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Gustavo leaves this summer, btw. Don't think he's needed (even though I really like him), if we get Thiago and play that 4141, and since he started every game at the confed cup for Brazil, he probably won't risk his starting spot at the world cup.

I don't think Robben or Ribery are necessarily Pep's type of players.

He doesn't really use direct wingers too much, atleast not as a starting plan A.

You are right, however, I can't see both of them being happy sat on the bench at the stage of their careers they are at. No way.

Neuer
Martinez Schweiny
Muller Kroos Ribery
Lewandowski

Overall I agree. The system they had was perfect. Replacing Mandzukic with the even-better Lewandowski would have been a step up. Personally I think replacing Kroos with Gotze would have been another, but I can completely understand why you disagree. Either way, fecking everyone around with a complete stylistic overhaul is a mistake, and totally unnecessary. But it seems like that's what Guardiola is planning to do.

Let's face it, we don't even know if Gotze can play as a false 9. Yes he's small and technical and fast and talented, but so are lots of players. That doesn't make him Messi, and it doesn't mean he's cut out to be a false 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.