Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a cynic, if Moyes brought in Baines and Fellaini after already bringing in most of the Everton backroom staff I would be concerned that he is sticking too much to what he knows and what he knows is not good enough for Manchester United. He needs to forget what he knows and think bigger. Thiago is the kind of player we have to sign. Hugely talented, lots of talent for the future, young enough to earn every penny it costs us as well as sell on potential. If Bayern get him over us I'll be pissed. We have a clear need for a central midfielder and Thiago would fit the bill.

So detest me too, because all I'm looking for is the quality that we have come to expect and it is only natural to be conscious of what a new manager brings to the table. If you had a new employee reporting to you and they showed signs of not bringing the performance you need would you not be skeptical?

Amen.

Bayern's power in the transfer market is fecking frightening. You have to admire how they do their deals though. No nonsense with them.

The summer is young and we need a new target.

Who would be the next transfer darling?

Vidal is the current favorite. However, I expect it to change in the next few days.
What's depressing is that there aren't really any good midfielders available anymore after we've lost all hope we got on Thiago. There aren't really that many top midfielders outside Bayern and Barca these days full stop and we've just managed to miss out on the best one available, so I'd rather if we didn't sign a midfielder at all rather than settle for an average player like Strootman or Fellaini.

The summer is young and we need a new target.

Who would be the next transfer darling?

Vidal is the current favorite. However, I expect it to change in the next few days.

Probably isn't another target. That seems to be how we work, all our eggs in one basket. We will not win the CL with this midfield. Seems everyone wants to play for the CL winners, whoever they are.

I
I think it's more about Pep coming out and saying it than Bayern doing so. Note that he said 'I give my opinion, but I listen to the board. If they say no, that's ok.' Sounds like he hasn't actually been told whether or not he can have Thiago. By making his desire public so emphatically - 'Thiago is the only player I want' etc - he makes it extremely awkward for the board to say no. It's a cnutish move, but then so is stealing your old club's best talent using a release clause which you signed off on in the first place.
Is that a dig at Bayern? None of our staff had anything to do with Götze's contract at Dortmund. Sammer was head coach at Dortmund until 2004. He worked for the german FA since 2006 and had nothing to do with Dortmund at all.

/edit:
Sorry, my mistake, you're talking about Thiago.

Bayern's power in the transfer market is fecking frightening. You have to admire how they do their deals though. No nonsense with them.
They'll have signed two players with release clauses this Summer, for a total of €55m. They don't mess around trying to be polite or negotiate the deal down, they pay the fee and take the player. Dortmund weren't even aware they were after Götze when he informed them that he'd be moving there. Don't forget they've already secured Lewandowski for next Summer.

Is that a dig at Bayern? None of our staff had anything to do with Götze's contract at Dortmund. Sammer was head coach at Dortmund until 2004. He worked for the german FA since 2006 and had nothing to do with Dortmund at all.

I think it's a dig at Pep, given that he signed off on Thiago's release clause when he was at Barca and now he's using it while being at Bayern.

If, and I think it's a big if, we were ever in for him officially, then it will be quite damning if he is to choose Bayern over United. Clearly, he must be considering leaving Barca otherwise I doubt Pep would have openly talked about him.
I'm still amazed how much everyone got hysterical about signing him based on a few journalist and twitter reports. Have we not learnt anything over the years?
A class player, no doubt but for some reason I never had him down to join us at all.

It was clearly a dig at Guardiola under whose managership Alcantara got the release clause into his contract which mght now be helping Bayern sign him.

They'll have signed two players with release clauses this Summer, for a total of €55m. They don't mess around trying to be polite or negotiate the deal down, they pay the fee and take the player. Dortmund weren't even aware they were after Götze when he informed them that he'd be moving there. Don't forget they've already secured Lewandowski for next Summer.

Two of the most promising players in world football as well who a few years from now will be worth 40 million each probably (in Gotze's case even more).

I think it's a dig at Pep, given that he signed off on Thiago's release clause when he was at Barca and now he's using it while being at Bayern.
The clause wouldn't have even been activated if Vilanova played him more. For example, if Thiago had played as much as he did under Guardiola his release clause right now would be €90m. Besides, it wasn't even Guardiola who extended his deal.

I don't think you understand the point of a thread like this. Or indeed, the point of the Caf. How can you 'waste your time' on a football forum, talking about football? If Thiago were to come to United, is a load of United fans having a laugh on a muppet thread any less of a waste of time?'

Again, 'shocking'? The captain of the Costa Concordia booking into a hotel while people were still struggling to get off the ship is shocking.

EDIT: Also, is Chin some Korean superstar who's just become available, and for whom we've been saving a spot in our midfield for five years? If not, your punctuation might need some work.

Fair enough you seem quite annoyed at the moment, I understand you thought we where getting Thiago (we still might). Just not something I see a point in. Apologies for the punctuation i'm rushing. There is just a lot more interesting/different threads to spend your time on for me especially when nothing has actually changed in the last 2-3 weeks, the way the thread has grown surprises me that is all no need to get so bent out of shape about it. You must have be one of the people bitting heads of when anybody said we where not getting him.

p.s chins up lads.

I've only seen 20 seconds of this Keanu Alcatel bloke on Youtube, but I demand that we sign him. How dare David Moyes not be Spanish, and not have worked with him previously. What a failure. Bring back Frogie, and also hanging.

What's depressing is that there aren't really any good midfielders available anymore after we've lost all hope we got on Thiago. There aren't really that many top midfielders outside Bayern and Barca these days full stop and we've just managed to miss out on the best one available, so I'd rather if we didn't sign a midfielder at all rather than settle for an average player like Strootman or Fellaini.

We haven't missed out yet. Hang in there for a couple of days, mate.

Also, if we are desperate for a midfielder then I am sure they can be made available at a price. Plenty of good ones going around. Let's wait and see what happens before giving up hope. IMO, there is no way we won't sign a midfielder.

Edit: 1000 posts in less than 3 months. I need to take a break.

I can't wait for a section of this thread to follow Thiago's every move at Bayern and count every minute he does and doesn't play, all in an attempt to achieve a moral victory.

Also, if we are desperate for a midfielder then I am sure they can be made available at a price. Plenty of good ones going around. Let's wait and see what happens before giving up hope. IMO, there is no way we won't sign a midfielder.

Plenty of good ones around? Vidal is great but not available for us, Dortmund won't sell us Gundogan after already losing Götze and I'm not sure anyone at United even realises that Leverkusen's Bender exists. We're not signing Wilshere or Busquets either.

If, and I think it's a big if, we were ever in for him officially, then it will be quite damning if he is to choose Bayern over United. Clearly, he must be considering leaving Barca otherwise I doubt Pep would have openly talked about him.
I'm still amazed how much everyone got hysterical about signing him based on a few journalist and twitter reports. Have we not learnt anything over the years?
A class player, no doubt but for some reason I never had him down to join us at all.

Maybe we have to think again about our pulling power as a club. We think everyone wants to play for us, but that's because we are fans. Players don't think about that. New manager in, the legend gone, maybe better lifestyle elsewhere.

We've been saying this little bit for the last 3 or 4 years now. Every year it's "I can't see us not signing a central midfielder given how bad it's become", and each year it gets worse and worse, yet we still don't sign a midfielder.

Graham Hunter has said Pep spoke directly to Thiago, maybe that made a big difference.

Wasnt just all he said man.

He said that United had questions about the clause in any United contrac,t for him to play X-amount of games etc, and that the tax issue was another problem & how to work that out. Then he mentions that Pep advised the Bayern Board to get him regardless of how many top-class mid-fielders they had & he spoke to Thiago on the phone a couple of weeks ago too.

Moral of the story, Hunter says "its pretty bleak that he'll be going to Old Trafford now & that many United fans will be scratching their heads saying 'how can he get as many games at Bayern as he could with us', and thats a shame for United & the Premier League as a whole..."

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention, Hunter just spoke on Talksport about 10 mins ago!

Plenty of good ones around? Vidal is great but not available for us, Dortmund won't sell us Gundogan after already losing Götze and I'm not sure anyone at United even realises that Leverkusen's Bender exists. We're not signing Wilshere or Busquets either.

That is one thing that is bothering me about this more than anything really. I'm not sure who else there is for us to sign who would improve our midfield to the same extent, should this go tits up.

well..can't hide the fact that I'm well disappointed if, as seems likely, he dumps us for Bayern. Our midfield really really needs an injection of something new, ffs. Sure we can move on..but who is available or for sale that excites the same way?

Hopefully the pre-season tour (even though some players are missing) will highlight in Moyes's mind how important getting a top midfielder is. I do think we will struggle with what we have, and if Rooney goes to, fecking get that cheque book out sharpish!!!!

Fair enough you seem quite annoyed at the moment, I understand you thought we where getting Thiago (we still might). Just not something I see a point in. Apologies for the punctuation i'm rushing. There is just a lot more interesting/different threads to spend your time on for me especially when nothing has actually changed in the last 2-3 weeks, the way the thread has grown surprises me that is all no need to get so bent out of shape about it. You must have be one of the people bitting heads of when anybody said we where not getting him.

Nope I'm all good. I thought we had a decent chance of getting Thiago but I never took it for granted or anything. Again, you assume people are in this thread because they somehow think that will help us get Thiago. That might be why you have 85 posts in here, but I just like talking about football, particularly interesting players like Thiago. If you read back, you'll see that I haven't bitten any heads off. I'm also not bent out of shape, however much you obviously want to think so.

The point is, if you have to 'stay away' from threads to avoid being upset by them, you're probably slightly unbalanced.

Maybe we have to think again about our pulling power as a club. We think everyone wants to play for us, but that's because we are fans. Players don't think about that. New manager in, the legend gone, maybe better lifestyle elsewhere.

Maybe we should also wait until the transfer window closes in around 2 months before making posts like this.

It's simple:

*Move Manchester to London. Foreign players think London is the only place in Britain.
*Throw disgustingly immoral sums of money at agents who don't really give a feck about their clients' careers.
*Rename Moyes to 'Davide Glamourano'.

Hopefully the pre-season tour (even though some players are missing) will highlight in Moyes's mind how important getting a top midfielder is. I do think we will struggle with what we have, and if Rooney goes to, fecking get that cheque book out sharpish!!!!

It's more obvious than ever that Rooney's going nowhere, so you needn't worry about that.

There are plenty of class midfielders around. They don't have to necessarily be available. It is our job to make them available. Were players like Martinez available last summer? No, but then Bayern swooped in and payed what was required. What about Paulinho? He would have been great for us but we didn't even have a rumour that we were interested in him on BBC's sunday gossip page. People have said that there haven't been people available for years now, yet we see class midfielders moving every summer for realistic prices and never to United.

If only we sign players with the same ease we sign sponsors...

Not too many of the kind of midfield talent we need to make a step up readily available, Thiago was one of them. How attractive are we to players from the continent and South America??? We are behind Real and Barca but after that how do we shape up.

Status
Not open for further replies.