Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since 2007 we've signed Anderson, Hargreaves, Powell, promoted Gibson, saw Fletcher play an increasingly important role in CM, tried to sign Moura and Hazard, been in for Thiago and moved Giggs into the middle. Add to that the fact we had signed Carrick only the year before and still have Scholes at the club up until last month - I'm not sure how this 'Fergie aversion to midfielders' thing works.

He preferred to recall Scholes from retirement instead of signing a CM when it was clear that Anderson was never going to fulfil his potential and that Gibson was shite; Moura and Hazard aren't CMs; using Giggs, Jones, Rooney and Rafael in the middle underlines Fergie's aversion to using actual central midfielders.

Haha.. just saw all this..

The caf will never learn.
Fellaini and Jones will have to do in the middle...

Are you trying to disprove your point by including an attempt to sign 2 wingers and using two pensioners, one who was called back from retirement and the other a winger in your post?

No I'm trying to disprove the point if you look at the money invested in Carrick Anderson, Hargreaves and the money that was willing to sign Hazard plus the existence of Giggs and Scholes (who weren't born pensioners) and wanting, quite rightly, to allow Fletcher to grow in importance to the team over that period, does kind of disprove the theory

It actually does seem strange that Guardiola should need to publicly make a move for him when his brother is his agent and a fee of €18m would snatch him from Barca.

Putting pressure on the board perhaps. Imagine him saying to the board "I want Thiago" when he arrived but the time just passed by without anything happening. Guardiola then figures he'll publicly announce it to force the board to move for the player.

Apparently Pep has a press conference sometime today, no? If so, hopefully someone asks about it. Not that it would help eh...feck I knew this would happen. Fecking Bayern.

Pep is honest but I wonder if he will evade the question. Lest we forget, his brother is Thiago's agent.

Oh on this agent thing what's the name of that agent we're apparently close to and therefore would be likely to sign any player he has for this sole reason but never seem to do?

No there's a huge difference between a player saying "I want to leave" and a club than making an offer and a player who has yet publicly said nothing and a club coming along and saying "I want to sign someone under contract to your organisation"
LOL. No.

The FANS are going to see it as Pep poaching their player either way.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense at all converting the best holding midfielder of last season in a centerback. The small changes that Pep said he's going to make actually seems to be very big changes.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense at all converting the best holding midfielder of last season in a centerback. The small changes that Pep said he's going to make actually seems to be very big changes.

Pep absolutely loves his ball playing center backs and that's exactly what Martinez would be.

No I'm trying to disprove the point if you look at the money invested in Carrick Anderson, Hargreaves and the money that was willing to sign Hazard plus the existence of Giggs and Scholes (who weren't born pensioners) and wanting, quite rightly, to allow Fletcher to grow in importance to the team over that period, does kind of disprove the theory

Hazard's still not a CM and Giggs is also no more than an emergency solution there. Except our emergency situation has lasted years. Hargreaves and Anderson were signed six years ago and it's been quite clear for a while now that neither was going to become a key player in midfield for us. Yet we still kept putting band-aids on a bullet wound instead of actually addressing the issue. And it looks like we're set to continue the tradition.

Pep absolutely loves his ball playing center backs and that's exactly what Martinez would be.

Martinez wants to play in midfield though. So now he won't be happy and might want out. I hear he likes the rain and his footballing hero is Phil Jones. Could probably work in our favour.

Anderson and Hargreaves were signed in 2007, and both have been disappointments to be honest, both because of injuries. Since then, we gave Fletcher a better role but then he got sick in 2010 and every transfer since then we've been crying out for a midfielder. We moved Giggs to the middle in 09, and he had a good 10/11 next to Carrick but he's been shite in the middle ever since, which is predictable given that he's a 40 year old winger that turned into a midfielder. We brought Scholes out of retirement instead of signing another midfielder, and while it worked for half a season, he didn't do anything all of last season. Hazard had absolutely nothing to do with the midfield, as he is a winger.

Giggs became a central midfielder due to lack of quality in the middle. Anderson and Hargreaves were both signed in 2007 and since then we've not signed a central midfielder. And Hazard has nothing to do with it.

So our aditions to the squad since nearly the last time Arsenal won a trophy, even with the very generous inclusion of Fletcher who wasn't replaced after becomming unfortunatly stricken with his illness, are Giggs moving from left wing to central midfield, Scholes coming back from retirement and Tom Cleverley in six years. SIX.

Anderson and Hargreaves were signed in 2007, and both have been disappointments to be honest, both because of injuries. Since then, we gave Fletcher a better role but then he got sick in 2010 and every transfer since then we've been crying out for a midfielder. We moved Giggs to the middle in 09, and he had a good 10/11 next to Carrick but he's been shite in the middle ever since, which is predictable given that he's a 40 year old winger that turned into a midfielder. We brought Scholes out of retirement instead of signing another midfielder, and while it worked for half a season, he didn't do anything all of last season. Hazard had absolutely nothing to do with the midfield, as he is a winger.

I'm not saying we've handled CM brilliantly but given how successful we've been over that time we'd either coped amazingly well or people exaggerate the problems we've had.

Since 2007 we've signed Anderson, Hargreaves, Powell, promoted Gibson, saw Fletcher play an increasingly important role in CM, tried to sign Moura and Hazard, been in for Thiago and moved Giggs into the middle. Add to that the fact we had signed Carrick only the year before and still have Scholes at the club up until last month - I'm not sure how this 'Fergie aversion to midfielders' thing works.

I agree I don't get it either. He has invested heavily in that area and generally it has not worked out, bar Carrick so he has chosen to focus on other areas of the pitch, the amount of money we have spent cm should be the least of our worries but how much do you want him to spend this midfield got to the 2011 Champions League final and has won 2 league titles. We have been crying for a new midfielder for a while but I would not blame Fergie for that not happening, thankfully we didn't get Sneijder he would be another on the list of failed midfielders.

p.s How is the caf feeling? I avoid this thread because nothing has happened just read the Guardiola quotes ominous......

Leaving this thread alone now, it's going too quickly for me to keep up.

If we miss out on this lad, there's no alternative to his potential out there for us imo. We will probably end up with a Fellaini or someone similar who isn't fit to pull on our shirt. If this happens (to be fair i said this when Moyes was announced) i will be very skeptical about Moyes' ability to do a job for us. We need quality in, and without Thiago i don't see where that proven quality is (before anyone says he's not proven, it's clear he's already began blossoming into a world talent and will be there in a year or two.) in the transfer market for us.

If he goes to Bayern, it seems that he wanted to wait to see if the offer would come all along. Maybe he's been told by Pere that Pep wanted him but was trying to force the hand of the Bayern board. Maybe Pep's latest admission is the last attempt to force that hand.

Either way, this story has had even more bullshit surrounding it than the ones of Sneijder and Hazard. The only good thing to come out of this is it's categorically proven most Twitter 'experts' including bonafide journalists to be full of shit.

If he goes to Bayern, i hope he sits on the bench and misses out on the World Cup, because i'm a spiteful cnut like that.

What i'm really concerned about is our future ability to compete at the highest level with our wank CM options.

Toodles.

The fans on the Bayern forum don't seem to be to enamoured with the idea of Thiago joining. If their board decides against a bid, I doubt there'd be an uproar.

Guardiola telling Thiago he wants him to come to Bayern means he will start nothing else, a few of Bayern's players (Kroos, Luis Gustavo, Emre Can) may have to start looking for new clubs to be honest that team is packed full of quality. The reigning Champions of Europe with Guardiola at the helm or Manchester with Moyes??? Guardiola wants him this badly then Thiago would be foolish not too go.

Bear with me a little, because I'm not entirely sure I get quite how that formation works yet. Are you saying Martinez is one of the CBs in the 4141? And how does a 4141 become a 343? Also presumably whatever you do with this formation, which essentially drops a CB to make room for Thiago, you still have to bench either Muller, who I gather is pretty talismanic for Bayern and a fan favourite, or Gotze who you just spent €37mil on?
4141 means, we have one holding midfielder, preferable Martinez. In possession both fullbacks will move forward, the winger become wide forwards while the holding midfielder will drop between both centerbacks.

In Bayern's case Dante, Badstuber and Boateng all have played as fullbacks for a while, so Dante/Badstuber should be comfortable covering on the left and Boateng on the right.

For example:
Against the ball:
Müller​
Ribery Götze Kroos Robben​
Martinez​
Alaba Danta Boateng Lahm​
Neuer​
In possession:
Ribery Müller Robben​
Alaba Götze Kroos Lahm​
Dante Martinez Boateng​
Neuer​

The midfield four could be a diamond as well, with Barca Guardiola played a very narrow formation a few times:​
Villa - Messi -Alves​
Fabregas​
Xavi -------Thiago​
Busquets​
Abidal - Puyol -Mascherano​
Valdes​
Thiago fits perfectly in, as does Kroos imo. Not 100% sure about Schweinsteiger, but he played as the holding midfielder in a 4141 for Germany before and he played out wide and behind the striker in the past as well, so he will find his place in the team.​
In reality it won't look that way very often on the pitch. Pressing will be very important to make it work and the players need to move around a lot. Like Guardiola said today, he doesn't care about those formations and numbers, the team will attack and defend with 11 men and they will run a lot.​
I still think it would be a very bad move not only for Thiago, but for Bayern too. Pep might like the idea of having Thiago back, but the transfer would probably do more harm than good to Bayern.
I agree, I'm not thrilled about the transfer. I'm worried Pep is ignoring a few of the things that made us such an outstanding team last season. I don't want him to turn us into Barca 2.0.

How long has his holiday been btw?

I think people confuse being on holiday with 'not returned to work yet'. They're two different things really. I sometimes have a couple of weeks off work while I sit around the house, catch up with some reading and do the garden. i'm not 'on holiday' in the usual sense but equally I'm not at work either.

If we miss out on this lad, there's no alternative to his potential out there for us imo. We will probably end up with a Fellaini or someone similar who isn't fit to pull on our shirt. If this happens (to be fair i said this when Moyes was announced) i will be very skeptical about Moyes' ability to do a job for us. We need quality in, and without Thiago i don't see where that proven quality is (before anyone says he's not proven, it's clear he's already began blossoming into a world talent and will be there in a year or two.) in the transfer market for us.

If he goes to Bayern, it seems that he wanted to wait to see if the offer would come all along. Maybe he's been told by Pere that Pep wanted him but was trying to force the hand of the Bayern board. Maybe Pep's latest admission is the last attempt to foce that hand.

Either way, this story has had even more bullshit surrounding it than the ones of Sneijder and Hazard. The only good thing to come out of this is it's categorically proven most Twitter 'experts' including bonafide journalists to be full of shit.

If he goes to Bayern, i hope he sits on the bench and misses out on the World Cup, because i'm a spiteful cnut like that.

What i'm really concerned about is our future ability to compete at the highest level with our wank CM options.

Toodles.

This thread has been shite since day one, but please do fecking do one. Skeptical about Moyes ability because he doesn't sign Thiago and potentially signs a Fellaini or somebody else (and I still don't believe he'll sign him anyway)? feck off mate. Disgraceful.

Yeah, just saw the quote from Pep. Well, it'll be Allianz or remaining at Barcelona. When Pep comes calling, would be hard for Thiago to turn it down. I suppose if the Barcelona board had resisted on improving his contract, Pep's public declaration might change things...and perhaps that was the goal all along too

All Moyes is said he won't talk about players under contract to other clubs. Seems fair enough. Might make his post-match interviews a bit shit mind you.

:lol: This thread has been gold this morning, sorry muppets, but it really is. I can almost smell the tears.

Unlucky, would have loved to see him play for you guys aswell.

If he goes to Bayern, it seems that he wanted to wait to see if the offer would come all along. Maybe he's been told by Pere that Pep wanted him but was trying to force the hand of the Bayern board. Maybe Pep's latest admission is the last attempt to foce that hand.

Toodles.

Jesus, chill out. If we don't get Thiago Moyes ability to do the job is in question and there is no alternative? Give me a break, he has huge potential and could well be a world classs player in the future, but there are plenty of more proven and better players right now for us to try signing. We never signed Ronaldinho but we signed Ronaldo, if we lose out on Thiago we'll just sign someone else and continue winning things.

:lol: This thread has been gold this morning, sorry muppets, but it really is. I can almost smell the tears.

Unlucky, would have loved to see him play for you guys aswell.

The yearly "laugh at United fans" transfer thread. :(

Thiago wants assurances on the number of games he will play, can Pep promise that? I reckon thats why we have not signed him before now.

There are no tears. The only people throwing their arms up insisting it means we won't sign hm seem to be people who didn't think we were in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.