Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not according to what all the reporters like Graham Hunter were saying all along, and after all the work De Gea went through, why wouldn't he come to United :smirk:
According to the reports we were very close many times over the last month, but we never actually bid for him. Maybe if we actually bid for him it would have shown we wanted him more, or shown more assertiveness? Who knows how it's actually done. All I know is looking at the last few years, we miss out on our main transfer targets more often then not.

Again, we knew what to bid for Thiago, that wasn't the stumbling block. Making transfer bids when there is a set release clause in place does not hsow any assertiveness. Most likely he did not want to join us and the lure of that bald feck was too much

So then you disrupt a working, settled system, and no-one is getting as much game-time as they'd like. Plus you'd have to be playing people regardless of form, which is never wise.

If Pep really is trying to make Bayern into Barca Mark II, then constant rotation isn't a good idea. That Barca system worked because the key men were there week-in, week-out. Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi. They all played almost all the time.

One way or another, it's a bad idea.
Yeah, I agree with all that, all I'm saying is that it could and probably would work. When a youngster like Thiago becomes available, you take him if you can. People were struggling to find a place for RVP with Kagaway, Rooney, Nani and Valencia already there, and look how that turned out. Robben or Ribery could lose form(Robben isn't that good as he is at the moment imo), and then a space opens up.

I know its not ideal to be depending on loss of form or injuries, but it seems Pep wants Thiago badly, and can you blame him?

I have my doubts about the Marca report in a similar way to not fully believing the previous "Thiago to United" tweets/reports.

One Marca report and all the tweeters and tabloids picking up on it, and we're in for a day of Thiago to Bayern reports. Hilarious stuff.

Honigstein doesn't have a scooby.

He had no knowledge of this until we did, and now he's guessing like the rest of us.

This was from a press conference from Pep, not anything he's guessing.

You still have to drop and feck with a number of their key and treble-winning players:

-Mandzukic is benched.
-Lewandowski's transfer now makes absolutely no sense since he'd struggle to get any games at all in that system.
-Martinez plays every game as a CB despite openly stating when he transferred that he was moving so as to play in midfield.
-Oh, and you drop Robben, who was arguably their most important player in those big CL ties last season, and whose pristine disciplinary record and unquestionable character mean that he won't make any problems in the dressing room...

True, but when you break it down...
Mandzukic isn't that great of a player, and definitely wouldn't fit in with Pep's ideas, at least not enough to start. Martinez could be a problem if he starts making complaints, but maybe Pep can convince him and Martinez might see it as a way to get into the starting 11 of Spain. Robben played a very small part last season and would not have played in those big games had Kroos not injured himself in the quarter finals against Juventus. He made only 16 appearances in the league last season, and who knows how many of those were starts.
The Lewandowski transfer is the one that causes problems, but like I said, he might anticipate Ribery declining by then, because he's 30 right now. Move Gotze to the left in that lineup and it leaves a space for Lewa up front.

Pep never said anything as categorical as "essential". Failing to sign a player is hardly undermining a manager, it happens all the time to every manager in the world. Even if Guardiola felt the need to name names, failing to get his way when he already has the strongest squad in the world, made stronger since he was first announced as the next manger, is all the backing a manager should need.

And Mancini was never undermined, he just wasn't able to get the player he wanted because somebody else made a more appealing offer and the player voted with his feet.

Failing to get a player and failing to get the board's backing end in similar outcomes, but only one case is undermining.

But if they don't get the player now, the fans can only blame the board, because Pep has made it so clear how much he wants the player. It's not about being undermined because the club loses out on a player, it's about the coach undermining either himself or the management by making it seem like he wanted something and the management just told him no.

Interesting points. I don't agree however. We have our own way of working in the transfer market. We perhaps put more energy and time into researching a player's background and personality than any other club. Maybe it's being overcautious or maybe it's just being sensible. We seem to have a lower turnover of players than a lot of other clubs. At least this is my impression. Which indicates usually when we do make the choice of making a significant investment in a player it's usually one taken with much consideration.

There were rumours/reports etc recently that United only deal with their own people. That we do transfers our way and don't allow outside agents/representatives to hijack or play too large a part in proceedings. We don't like players who comment publicly on their desire to move either. When was the last time we signed someone after they had done the usual trick of spouting their mouth of about how much they want to join? I could be wrong but i don't recall it. Take the Hazard situation. No chance in hell would we have allowed him to speak about his desire to join us publicly, let alone him announce it on twitter, if we seriously were interested.

Agreed.

Pep's comments suggest he's wanting to turn Thiago's head a little, and until he's signed for someone whether it's us, Bayern or whoever then there's nothing to worry about.

It actually does seem strange that Guardiola should need to publicly make a move for him when his brother is his agent and a fee of €18m would snatch him from Barca.

I have my doubts about the Marca report in a similar way to not fully believing the previous "Thiago to United" tweets/reports.

One Marca report and all the tweeters and tabloids picking up on it, and we're in for a day of Thiago to Bayern reports. Hilarious stuff.

Guardiola has confirmed he wants to sign Thiago.

You still have to drop and feck with a number of their key and treble-winning players:

-Mandzukic is benched.
-Lewandowski's transfer now makes absolutely no sense since he'd struggle to get any games at all in that system.
-Martinez plays every game as a CB despite openly stating when he transferred that he was moving so as to play in midfield.
-Oh, and you drop Robben, who was arguably their most important player in those big CL ties last season, and whose pristine disciplinary record and unquestionable character mean that he won't make any problems in the dressing room...

Excellent points. That is why it feels weird that he has shown interest in Thiago.

It would also leave the likes of Gustavo, Boateng, Shaqiri and Kroos marginalized.

If Bayern were signing him why say anything and have Guardiola risk bad blood between himself and Barcelona fan?

If Thiago said "I want to leave" and then Bayern reached agreement with Barcelona to sign him there'd be no reason for anger on behalf of the Barcelona fans. At least towards Guardiola. However now he's publicly come out and expressed desire to sign someone still under contract to Barcelona he's no doubt going to anger their fans. It seems almost preposterous to do this for a player you were signing anyway.

The only hope is that Pep wants him but the Bayern management don't see the need. Help us, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, you're our only hope!

I still think that Fergie simply doesn't allow Moyes to sign a CM. There's just no other explanation. This has got to be deliberate, we want to see how far we can go without having a functioning central midfield.

We compromise because we have 2 world class players fighting for the same position...I'd much prefer to see kagawa in a midfield two with carrick then to see him play left wing..but I am sure moyes will sign another midfielder..hopefully barkley

Why couldn't Moyes have a successful brother who was an agent for our transfer targets.

What you guys on about Lewandowski is the perfect player for Bayern to lead the line. He's now got Ribery/Robben/Muller/Thiago/Kroos and Gotze to supply him.

My thinking is they'll probably sell one of Ribery/Robben, probably Ribery as Robben is a big game player. They'll get a decent transfer fee for Ribery, which will probably pay for the Thiago transfer.

I still think that Fergie simply doesn't allow Moyes to sign a CM. There's just no other explanation. This has got to be deliberate, we want to see how far we can go without having a functioning central midfield.

That's honestly an idea that came to my mind when Sir Alex was here last year, because there was simply no other explanation as to why we haven't signed a midfielder since 2007 even though our team has been crying out for 1 or 2 for 5 years now.

But if they don't get the player now, the fans can only blame the board, because Pep has made it so clear how much he wants the player. It's not about being undermined because the club loses out on a player, it's about the coach undermining either himself or the management by making it seem like he wanted something and the management just told him no.
The Bayern fans aren't idiots. They can see what Pep is doing just as easily as anyone else. They know that their board has always dealt with the transfer side of things and been bloody successful with it too. The line "I give my opinion, but I listen to the board. If they say no, that's ok." should tell you that even Pep is realistic about the vagaries of transfer dealings.

Has to be. Perhaps an attempt at being revolutionary, like how Barca don't think they need proper centre backs. Sod midfield. Just defenders and strikers.

What some of you are forgetting is that Pep (who let's be fair is probably talking to Thiago DIRECTLY, as his brother is his agent) could well have told him that he's going to drop one of the Bayern midfielders to make room for him.

Twitter is now reporting that he's agreed with us but that Bayern can still hijack the move because we haven't paid Barca yet. Perfect get out for those lot after tweeting bullshit.

Basically i'll be surprised if he comes to us now - all the journos, Hunter, ITK's and sports pages have just been recycling the same shit for a month because someone rumoured at our interest of him. Noone knows anything about this except the player and his agent. What we do know about though is that Pep has publicly stated that he wants him. You think he hasn't already spoken to Thiago about the deal before going public?

My thoughts now are Thiago saw us as a last resort for playing time but now Bayern have gone public i can only see one destination.

We need to move on i think. I hope i'm wrong.

Any other transfer targets for midfield? And please god don't say Fellaini.

Could it have been that the reason why Thiago took so long to make up his mind (in fact probably he's still thinking about it) is because we were all the time the B-plan and he was waiting for the eventual offer from Bayern/Pep? It makes sense really, he wants to join Pep and only in case he cannot do it, he will go to us. Or not...

Since 2007 we've signed Anderson, Hargreaves, Powell, promoted Gibson, saw Fletcher play an increasingly important role in CM, tried to sign Moura and Hazard, been in for Thiago and moved Giggs into the middle. Add to that the fact we had signed Carrick only the year before and still have Scholes at the club up until last month - I'm not sure how this 'Fergie aversion to midfielders' thing works.

What you guys on about Lewandowski is the perfect player for Bayern to lead the line. He's now got Ribery/Robben/Muller/Thiago/Kroos and Gotze to supply him.

My thinking is they'll probably sell one of Ribery/Robben, probably Ribery as Robben is a big game player. They'll get a decent transfer fee for Ribery, which will probably pay for the Thiago transfer.

Ribery signed a new contract this summer, mate. He ain't going no where.

So, when in his first press conference Guardiola said he didn't want to make big changes, he meant that he wants to sell one of Bayern's best players, switch to a different formation and move one of the key midfielders to CB. Makes sense.

Are you getting your Ribery and Robbens mixed up? Ribery was a huge player for Bayern last season, Robben wasnt(apart from goals in CL, granted, a pretty big thing, but you get my point). Iirc, Robben wasnt starting before Kroos got injured.

Bias aside, where do you think would be the best club for the player's development? Surely in the short term i.e. next few years..United are the best option.

He's played a similar style for more than a decade now, I can't see, even bias aside, how his development could be better anywhere other than Barcelona.

That being said, I am sure he could do well at United and, clearly, get more playing time in the short term. Would that help him with La Roja? I doubt it, WC and beyond, really - gotta think he knows that as well.

No doubt he could become a big star and lead a team like United but there would be a learning curve while having to give up certain things he's grown accustomed to in the bubble he's enjoyed in Barcelona. I think if it were just about serving his ambition in the short term, United would make sense...but I'd also think this move would already be done too.

Would be strange as he just signed a new contract a few days ago, and was their best player last season.

What some of you are forgetting is that Pep (who let's be fair is probably talking to Thiago DIRECTLY, as his brother is his agent) could well have told him that he's going to drop one of the Bayern midfielders to make room for him.

Not forgetting any of that. Just don't see how a public statement is necessary or logical if he's signing anyway. If his agent is doing cloak and dagger deals it's highly uncouth and unwise to begin the loose talk with the media, isn't it?

If Bayern were signing him why say anything and have Guardiola risk bad blood between himself and Barcelona fan?

If Thiago said "I want to leave" and then Bayern reached agreement with Barcelona to sign him there'd be no reason for anger on behalf of the Barcelona fans. At least towards Guardiola. However now he's publicly come out and expressed desire to sign someone still under contract to Barcelona he's no doubt going to anger their fans. It seems almost preposterous to do this for a player you were signing anyway.
Think about what you're saying.

If he was signing anyway what difference does it make? You're going to anger them when he signs so saying it publicly now makes no difference at all.

Thanks you m*therf$ckers. You just ruined my morning. I still believe it's all bullshit, and we'll get him.

Ribery just signed a new contract. It seemed like they were too stacked and Thiago wouldn't get enough game time but I think Pep is going to play with something like this next season:

Neuer​
Lahm Martinez Dante Alaba​
Kroos Schweiny Thiago​
Muller Gotze Ribery​
This has everyone in their proper positions pretty much apart from Gotze, and doesn't leave anyone out. Robben was never going to be a starter this season, he wasn't first choice last season but most people here only watched Bayern in the latter champions league games when Kroos was injured so Robben got his chance to start. Robben will stay as a squad player on the bench like he was last season, come in for injured players, and the year after when Lewandowski comes in, one of Ribery or Robben will leave most likely because Robben will be 30 and Ribery 31.​

Since 2007 we've signed Anderson, Hargreaves, Powell, promoted Gibson, saw Fletcher play an increasingly important role in CM, tried to sign Moura and Hazard, been in for Thiago and moved Giggs into the middle. Add to that the fact we had signed Carrick only the year before and still have Scholes at the club up until last month - I'm not sure how this 'Fergie aversion to midfielders' thing works.

Are you trying to disprove your point by including an attempt to sign 2 wingers and using two pensioners, one who was called back from retirement and the other a winger in your post?

True, but when you break it down...
Mandzukic isn't that great of a player, and definitely wouldn't fit in with Pep's ideas, at least not enough to start. Martinez could be a problem if he starts making complaints, but maybe Pep can convince him and Martinez might see it as a way to get into the starting 11 of Spain. Robben played a very small part last season and would not have played in those big games had Kroos not injured himself in the quarter finals against Juventus. He made only 16 appearances in the league last season, and who knows how many of those were starts.
The Lewandowski transfer is the one that causes problems, but like I said, he might anticipate Ribery declining by then, because he's 30 right now. Move Gotze to the left in that lineup and it leaves a space for Lewa up front.

-Mandzukic is a superb striker. He was one of Bayern's most important players last season. I know actual strikers who score actual goals aren't in fashion these days, and maybe Pep thinks he can do without one. But it doesn't change the fact that for the player and for Bayern's supporters, dropping Mandzukic is a big deal.

-Maybe Martinez can be talked round, yes. I'm sure he'll do what he's told either way. But at this point the only thing we know about his feelings is that he came to Bayern to avoid playing at CB, and now Pep is going to turn him into a permanent CB.

-Robben didn't play many matches, but he did do as much to win them the CL as any player. He's key for Bayern, the fans love him, and he could be a wrecking-ball in the dressing room if he's dropped, especially if Pep's system isn't instantly successful.

-Even if, as you say, Lewa is willing to move purely on the chance that Ribery is going to decline some time soon, which seems absurd given that he could just stay as first choice and fan hero at Dortmund and maybe move when there's actually room for him, that model you've suggested doesn't work. That formation is set up for a false 9, which is why Guardiola would drop Mandzukic for Gotze. You can't then push Gotze, the key player for that formation, out to the wing and put a proper striker in his place. If he was going to do that, then he'd be doing it with Mandzukic, a brilliant striker in his own right.

All of these risks might be justifiable if there was anything to fix here, or if Bayern's current system didn't suit them. But it does. It suits them down to the ground, and last season they were strides ahead of any other team in the world. Barca's system worked at Barca because all the players were brought up playing it, and all the players were geared towards it. fecking so comprehensively with what Bayern did last season just doesn't make any sense.

Think about what you're saying.

If he was signing anyway what difference does it make? You're going to anger them when he signs so saying it publicly now makes no difference at all.

No there's a huge difference between a player saying "I want to leave" and a club than making an offer and a player who has yet publicly said nothing and a club coming along and saying "I want to sign someone under contract to your organisation"

Status
Not open for further replies.