Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't undermine him at all. All they'd need to do is make a token bid and even if that fails, he's still effectively going to have an extra Goetze in his ranks.

If Pep says 'Thiago is the only player I want, he is essential to my system, gimme gimme gimme' like he just has, and the board don't get him, then someone is being undermined. No two ways about it.

It would be exactly like Mancini coming out last summer and saying 'give me RVP you stupid feckers'. Look how that turned out. He didn't get him, he spent the rest of the season moaning about it, which alienated him both from the board and from his current players. Every time anything went wrong, the media were back in there with 'if only they'd signed RVP, look how well he's playing for United.' It was a disaster.

Disappointing if he goes there. I hope we have some other alternatives lined up, midfield desperately needs improvement and the concern is if we miss out on Thiago we'll end up with nothing.

If Bayern get Thiago, it probably means Martinez is moved to CB and that's a real waste of his talent there. He should just stay at Barcelona rather than going to Bayern IMO.

So then you disrupt a working, settled system, and no-one is getting as much game-time as they'd like. Plus you'd have to be playing people regardless of form, which is never wise.

If Pep really is trying to make Bayern into Barca Mark II, then constant rotation isn't a good idea. That Barca system worked because the key men were there week-in, week-out. Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi. They all played almost all the time.

One way or another, it's a bad idea.

I doubt Robben will play a big role. He wasn't involved too much last season until Kroos got injured and was out for the season. Judging by Pep's comments about how Martinez can play in defence, I think they'll lineup something like this...
Neuer​
Lahm Dante Martinez Alaba​
Schweinsteiger Thiago Kroos​
Muller Gotze Ribery​
That's a pretty fecking good lineup if I'm being honest. The question comes next season when Lewandowski goes there. Will Ribery have declined by then, and Pep look to ship him out in order to put Lewandowski in there? Who knows.​

It could just be a last ditch attempt by Pep, you know. Maybe he is trying to turn his head and show how much he wants him, as he has got wind that we are close to signing him?

This may be knee jerk but after the last few seasons, I doubt it. I think we're just too passive in the transfer market and let things drag on too long without making quick moves to secure players. What could possibly have been wrong with the Thiago deal? We apparently never even made a concrete offer to pay the release clause, but spent so long trying to get a perfect deal with Thiago. Maybe if we just bid the 15 million release clause which is an amazing price for him, we would have had him by now. Instead it seems like yet again, summer after summer, our main transfer target that we spend so long to try to get ends up going somewhere else out of nowhere. Lucas and Hazard last summer, Sneijder the year before, and so on.

As it stands it looks like going into the new season, we're going to consist of a midfield of Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson and then players who Sir Alex thought could do a job there like Giggs (who has been awful in a midfield 2 for the last 2 years) and Jones. Doesn't look very good so far...

Interesting points. I don't agree however. We have our own way of working in the transfer market. We perhaps put more energy and time into researching a player's background and personality than any other club. Maybe it's being overcautious or maybe it's just being sensible. We seem to have a lower turnover of players than a lot of other clubs. At least this is my impression. Which indicates usually when we do make the choice of making a significant investment in a player it's usually one taken with much consideration.

There were rumours/reports etc recently that United only deal with their own people. That we do transfers our way and don't allow outside agents/representatives to hijack or play too large a part in proceedings. We don't like players who comment publicly on their desire to move either. When was the last time we signed someone after they had done the usual trick of spouting their mouth of about how much they want to join? I could be wrong but i don't recall it. Take the Hazard situation. No chance in hell would we have allowed him to speak about his desire to join us publicly, let alone him announce it on twitter, if we seriously were interested.

It would be funny if we were never actually in for him in the first place.

I mean, how much proof was there? Think about it...

I doubt Robben will play a big role. He wasn't involved too much last season until Kroos got injured and was out for the season. Judging by Pep's comments about how Martinez can play in defence, I think they'll lineup something like this...
Neuer​
Muller Gotze Ribery​
That's a pretty fecking good lineup if I'm being honest. The question comes next season when Lewandowski goes there. Will Ribery have declined by then, and Pep look to ship him out in order to put Lewandowski in there? Who knows.

Martinez can apparently play in defence? But is that something Martinez would want in a world cup year, as it could jeopardize his place in the Spanish side.

How much proof was there we have been in for any player we haven't signed? Think about it...

We should seriously bid for Kroos. The Bayern's board seems to think that he's their best talent and it is clear that Kroos will be the main loser in Bayern if Thiago goes there. Even better, make the offer public and we will see how Kroos and the board will react. If Kroos seems threatened by this move (and he should be considering that Martinez and Schweini are untouchable) he could have some words, and in the end board, not Pep decides if they're going to sign Thiago or not.

Anyway, I think from Pep's word, it is far from over. The public interest on Thiago to me seems a move directed to the board to get him, and to Thiago to tell him how much he wants him there. Of course, I think that Thiago will jump the chance to go there (and rightly so) but my biggest hope is that Bayern's board will not grant Pep's wish.

Martinez can apparently play in defence? But is that something Martinez would want in a world cup year, as it could jeopardize his place in the Spanish side.

I think he did it quite a few times for Bilbao. But I'm sure he prefers to play in the middle.

I told you lot not to faff about in the Baines thread. Poor Thiago has been left neglected and now he's joining Bayern.

Serously though, it's either a testament to Thiago's ability or it's pure fecking greed by Pep or even a sign of weakness. It's his first managing job since Barcelona and he's trying to bring in a player that he knows can play his way and trusts him impeccably.

This may be knee jerk but after the last few seasons, I doubt it. I think we're just too passive in the transfer market and let things drag on too long without making quick moves to secure players. What could possibly have been wrong with the Thiago deal? We apparently never even made a concrete offer to pay the release clause, but spent so long trying to get a perfect deal with Thiago. Maybe if we just bid the 15 million release clause which is an amazing price for him, we would have had him by now. Instead it seems like yet again, summer after summer, our main transfer target that we spend so long to try to get ends up going somewhere else out of nowhere. Lucas and Hazard last summer, Sneijder the year before, and so on.

As it stands it looks like going into the new season, we're going to consist of a midfield of Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson and then players who Sir Alex thought could do a job there like Giggs (who has been awful in a midfield 2 for the last 2 years) and Jones. Doesn't look very good so far...

Eh?

Why would we bother paying the release clause if we can't agree a deal with Thiago? Paying the fee is just a formality in this case, the real part was agreeing personal terms. As for what could have gone wrong, maybe Thiago didn't want to join us. Ever considered that?

It looks pretty set that defence is what Pep has in mind for him.

With the Thiago trauma now in the past...Surely kagawa can play the scholes role next season with rooney a little more forward behind rvp?

Serously though, it's either a testament to Thiago's ability or it's pure fecking greed by Pep or even a sign of weakness. It's his first managing job since Barcelona and he's trying to bring in a player that he knows can play his way and trusts him impeccably.

Let's hope Moyes doesn't get the same idea.

I don't think Thiago can play his way. At least he hasn't shown that in the current Barca side.

Probably what Pep wants is that Thiago becomes the Iniesta of his Bayern side.

Neuer​
Muller Gotze Ribery​
That's a pretty fecking good lineup if I'm being honest. The question comes next season when Lewandowski goes there. Will Ribery have declined by then, and Pep look to ship him out in order to put Lewandowski in there? Who knows.​

You still have to drop and feck with a number of their key and treble-winning players:

-Mandzukic is benched.
-Lewandowski's transfer now makes absolutely no sense since he'd struggle to get any games at all in that system.
-Martinez plays every game as a CB despite openly stating when he transferred that he was moving so as to play in midfield.
-Oh, and you drop Robben, who was arguably their most important player in those big CL ties last season, and whose pristine disciplinary record and unquestionable character mean that he won't make any problems in the dressing room...

With the Thiago trauma now in the past...Sirely kagawa can play the scholes role next season with rooney a little more forward behind rvp?

Why are we compromising all the time? Multiple seasons of it now, just buy a proper midfielder already!

With the Thiago trauma now in the past...Sirely kagawa can play the scholes role next season with rooney a little more forward behind rvp?

Even Scholes hasn't played the 'scholes role' for about 10 years, it's amazing it still has the same name.

Eh?

Why would we bother paying the release clause if we can't agree a deal with Thiago? Paying the fee is just a formality in this case, the real part was agreeing personal terms. As for what could have gone wrong, maybe Thiago didn't want to join us. Ever considered that?

Not according to what all the reporters like Graham Hunter were saying all along, and after all the work De Gea went through, why wouldn't he come to United :smirk:
According to the reports we were very close many times over the last month, but we never actually bid for him. Maybe if we actually bid for him it would have shown we wanted him more, or shown more assertiveness? Who knows how it's actually done. All I know is looking at the last few years, we miss out on our main transfer targets more often then not.

Been saying that for ages, this thread as been driven by pure speculation and wishful thinking, surely if we were interested Moyes would have said so , no real reason to hide.

If Pep says 'Thiago is the only player I want, he is essential to my system, gimme gimme gimme' like he just has, and the board don't get him, then someone is being undermined. No two ways about it.

It would be exactly like Mancini coming out last summer and saying 'give me RVP you stupid feckers'. Look how that turned out. He didn't get him, he spent the rest of the season moaning about it, which alienated him both from the board and from his current players. Every time anything went wrong, the media were back in there with 'if only they'd signed RVP, look how well he's playing for United.' It was a disaster.
Pep never said anything as categorical as "essential". Failing to sign a player is hardly undermining a manager, it happens all the time to every manager in the world. Even if Guardiola felt the need to name names, failing to get his way when he already has the strongest squad in the world, made stronger since he was first announced as the next manger, is all the backing a manager should need.

And Mancini was never undermined, he just wasn't able to get the player he wanted because somebody else made a more appealing offer and the player voted with his feet.

Failing to get a player and failing to get the board's backing end in similar outcomes, but only one case is undermining.

Honigstein doesn't have a scooby.

He had no knowledge of this until we did, and now he's guessing like the rest of us.

Afaik he was quoting/translating what Pep said at Bayern's daily press conference this morning.

And I think the fact that they speak so openly about Thiago is a sign of them being close to seal the deal.

What, is this confirmed? I can't read back through the last fifty pages and the thread title has been changed back to just Thiago. Has he signed for Bayern? That was kind of out of nowhere if so.

Been saying that for ages, this thread as been driven by pure speculation and wishful thinking, surely if we were interested Moyes would have said so , no real reason to hide.

Was Moyes asked about Thiago though or just transfers in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.