Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't think he's going to Bayern. I think if he doesn't join United, it'll be because he stays at Barca, though that's based on logic and optimism really. Nothing concrete.

Can't see any German media and papers reporting it. Surely they would be all over it by now or the night before with their headliners?

Rosell et al have been systematically trying to not only undo all of Laporta's success but dismantle many of the key elements which isn't limited to tarnishing the legacy of Guardiola. If the experience of Spanish & Catalan media throughout the Thiago saga has illustrated anything, it's that truth is a fluid concept and media is often used to manipulate

So will Barcelona fans see through it, or is it likely to rub them up the wrong way?
The two main stories in Mundo Deportivo are "Thiago says yes to Pep's Bayern" and "Pep's meddling in the signing of Neymar"
Agenda?

Rosell et al have been systematically trying to not only undo all of Laporta's success but dismantle many of the key elements which isn't limited to tarnishing the legacy of Guardiola. If the experience of Spanish & Catalan media throughout the Thiago saga has illustrated anything, it's that truth is a fluid concept and media is often used to manipulate

What would you predict would be the reaction of Barca supporters towards Pep if these reports are true i.e. that he has been calling Thiago personally weeks ago trying to get him to leave Barca and join him?

It seems to me that the Barca fans have been consistent on not wanting Thiago to go at all, so would there be any real anger at Pep, or is all the anger directed at the powers that be at Barca?

Pep made it clear as has his father that he wouldn't unsettle any Barcelona player unless they wanted to leave. I have no reason to doubt that sort of honesty as would most fans, I wager.

So will Barcelona fans see through it, or is it likely to rub them up the wrong way?
The two main stories in Mundo Deportivo are "Thiago says yes to Pep's Bayern" and "Pep's meddling in the signing of Neymar"
Agenda?

Absolutely. I hate Rosell

I still don't think he's going to Bayern. I think if he doesn't join United, it'll be because he stays at Barca, though that's based on logic and optimism really. Nothing concrete.

I get the whole lure of Pep thing, but nothing else about Thiago signing for Bayern even remotely makes sense. Apparently Mazinho wants his son's to be stars/important players at separate big clubs. Thiago would completely be that here, a really important part of the team where he would be more than likely to play week in week out in the biggest games. At Bayern he would be just another option in a midfield already overflowing with talent. Can't see him being more of a guaranteed starter there, or definitely playing all their big games. I'm not buying that they would see Bayern as a good option, despite Pep's presence.

Does have the feel of an overzealous father trying to milk the club for a contract improvement

Bias aside, where do you think would be the best club for the player's development? Surely in the short term i.e. next few years..United are the best option.

I get the whole lure of Pep thing, but nothing else about Thiago signing for Bayern even remotely makes sense. Apparently Mazinho wants his son's to be stars/important players at separate big clubs. Thiago would completely be that here, a really important part of the team where he would be more than likely to play week in week out in the biggest games. At Bayern he would be just another option in a midfield already overflowing with talent. Can't see him being more of a guaranteed starter there, or definitely playing all their big games. I'm not buying that they would see Bayern as a good option, despite Pep's presence.

this shows what the state of our midfield is. a relatively unproven but talented youngster would be a starter for Manchester United and merely an option at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayer Munich etc. If that does not t show how far we are off from these big clubs i don't know what can open people's eyes.

Relax. So far nothing has changed. Wait until you read something from official sources or a quote from the player himself.

As far as I know Thiago is still on holliday and his agent where in Liverpool on Monday. But apart from that I'm 100% sure that Pep would never betray his former club like this, it doesn't make sense.

Agenda?

To be fair, the MD story is based only on COPE Cadena story. They mention it in the story.

this shows what the state of our midfield is. a relatively unproven but talented youngster would be a starter for Manchester United and merely an option at Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayer Munich etc. If that does not t show how far we are off from these big clubs i don't know what can open people's eyes.

Well it's not all doom and gloom, people could make arguments for our defence and attack being our strengths. Midfield is last piece of the puzzle imo and I think that's why our fans are slightly obsessive about it.

Also Thiago isn't unproven, those who watch him regularly know exactly how good he is, he's just fighting to get into one of the best midfields in the world. It's not a slight on his talent at all.

How depressing, if yet again we have been gazumped at the last minute.

For all we know, this whole time, United were waiting for him to make a choice and he picked Bayern. Hardly stealing from under anyone's nose

For all we know, this whole time, United were waiting for him to make a choice and he picked Bayern. Hardly stealing from under anyone's nose

If you think about it, which team would the player choose?

On one hand, you have Manchester United, the global powerhouse, a team in dire need of a midfielder but with a new manager, an unproven manager at the top level (top as in Europe), whilst on the other hand, you have a team with packed class midfielders but with a spanish manager who is proven in Europe and with whom you have worked with before. He'd definitely choose Bayern.

Indeed. It just seems to be the same recurring bullshit with our transfers the last few years.

I'm not worried to be honest, we might not be getting the best midfielders out there at the moment, but Moyes is known to love good central midfielders so I'm pretty sure we'll be signing a central midfielder or two in this transfer window.

This
Well it's not all doom and gloom, people could make arguments for our defence and attack being our strengths. Midfield is last piece of the puzzle imo and I think that's why our fans are slightly obsessive about it.

Also Thiago isn't unproven, those who watch him regularly know exactly how good he is, he's just fighting to get into one of the best midfields in the world. It's not a slight on his talent at all.
Problem is, no more SAF. We need to give Moyes a better midfield than we currently have.

Bayern are also signing a midfielder called Rode.
It's rumoured he's coming on a free next summer. Nothing signed yet and a lot can happen in one year. He's definitely not joining Bayern this summer.

Which still leaves Thiago trying to fill a defensive midfield role which he is completely unsuited for. The very fact that Martinez is able to become a CB should be proof enough of that.
We played a 4141 which looks in possession like the 343/344 he played at Barca at the beginning of his last season there. Martinez won't be a centerback, he'll be a defensive midfielder who drops back in a ridiculously high positioned 3 men defensive line. When the opponent has the ball, he plays the exact same role as last season. Thiago played some of his best games in that formation and we need a lot of midfielders for it, so it might actually make sense. I don't really like it, because I have massive doubts about how to use our wing pairings in that formation, but that's what Guardiola is training and playing in pre-season games at the moment.

Probably because Bayern getting some chap from the Barca Academy doesn't sell papers? The Alcántara thread on a Bayern forum would be about five pages long max. and most of that would be "where the feck is he going to play?".
The Bayern forum I read regularly is hoping for one of the spanish talents since Guardiola signed, it's really annoying. There's not much love for Kroos, for example and most of them would instantly swap him with Thiago. It might not sale papers, but it would create millions of clicks online. The fact that Bild isn't reporting the story so far probably means there's not much truth to it.

On one hand, you have Manchester United, the global powerhouse, a team in dire need of a midfielder but with a new manager, an unproven manager at the top level (top as in Europe), whilst on the other hand, you have a team with packed class midfielders but with a spanish manager who is proven in Europe and with whom you have worked with before. He'd definitely choose Bayern.

Well using that mentality ignores the fact that his reason for leaving is to get playing time. If we're going to go down the "quality" of club idea in your post, then he might as well have stayed at Barca and tried to break in.

Apparently Pep has a press conference sometime today, no? If so, hopefully someone asks about it. Not that it would help eh...feck I knew this would happen. Fecking Bayern.

He'd definitely choose the side he has far less chance of playing for?

He's a bit of a feckwit then?

You have to admire in a way Bayern's desire to build from a position of strength - they reached the final in 2012 with a strong squad/midfield, yet went after the player most here would've gladly given a testicle to see play at United (going to great lengths and expense to get him), and now as champions of Europe they have taken/are taking two of their main domestic rivals' best players and are apparently signing a greatly talented young player they have no need for. Even when their manager was retiring (whether he wanted to or not) they went out a signed-up probably the most in demand manager since Roman booted out Jose in 2007 (?) and had him confirmed months in advance.

They don't mess about, and they get things done.

You have to admire in a way Bayern's desire to build from a position of strength - they reached the final in 2012 with a strong squad/midfield, yet went after the player most here would've gladly given a testicle to see play at United (going to great lengths and expense to get him), and now as champions of Europe they have taken/are taking two of their main domestic rivals' best players and are apparently signing a greatly talented young player they have no need for. Even when their manager was retiring (whether he wanted to or not) they went out a signed-up probably the most in demand manager since Roman booted out Jose in 2007 (?) and had him confirmed months in advance.

Thats what we should be doing, but as ever...

I always thought he'd be more likely to go to Bayern if they did come knocking. Less promise of game time there, but when you consider their manager, his agent, what they've just won and the squad they have, it'd be hard to refuse.

I can't break into the side at the club I'm at, what shall I do?

I know, I'll move to the team whose midfield just destroyed my current clubs and sit on their bench instead for a bit more cash!

If he goes to Bayern he's an idiot.

...but I still do not see Thiago going to Bayern if his primary concern is playing more games. More, Honigstein is a very reliable source and not a WUM like Balague and Hunter.

Martinez, Bastian, Gustavo and Kroos can play too as a CM no ? That move to Bayern would only be about money as far as I'm concerned and surely not about playing time and it would decrease his chances of making it to the WC.
Perhaps he's confident in his ability to start ahead of them. Martinez could ne used in defence which would cause Schweinsteiger to move in as a defensive midfielder and in Guardiola's prefered formation there could be two slots next to him - one for Kroos and one for Thiago. Guardiola played him a lot at Barcelona even though he had Busquets, Mascherano, Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas, he'd find a way to accomodate him at Bayern. Besides, they know each other well from Barca days and Thiago knows that Guardiola rates him.

Honestly if I was him, I would simply stay where I was.

If the rumours are true (joining Bayern) then he may as well. He would have just as much chance breaking into the Barca side, as the Bayern side.

I can't break into the side at the club I'm at, what shall I do?

I know, I'll move to the team whose midfield just destroyed my current clubs and sit on their bench instead for a bit more cash!

If he goes to Bayern he's an idiot.

Footballers aren't always the smartest people.

It wouldn't just be about money.

If you were him, who would you prefer, Pep or Moyes?

Another aspect. You're leaving America and going to India. There you have the option of working for an American whom you already know or a Scotsman whom you wouldn't even understand because of his accent?

It wouldn't just be about money.

If you were him, who would you prefer, Pep or Moyes?

I'd imagine most players would prefer to play for Pep, especially those that already have. If he goes to Bayern, Pep would be a major influence on his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.