Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he would be in the exact same position he is in now. What does he do going their and wait for Schweistiger to retire? Its either us or he's staying at Barca.

That depends on what Pep has promised him in the phone calls he's alleged to have made to Thiago. If he has it from the manager that he'll get games then that might be enough to defeat all the logical arguments we are making about playing time - if the manager says he plays regardless then that might be enough. Given Pep's apparent philosophy of central-midfielders making the best centre-backs (in contrast to our position under Fergie where the reverse was the case) then I could see Thiago being persuaded.

Not saying he would be right to believe he'd push out the existing players on day one, but I can imagine him being convinced by Pep.

Ped@ChurchOfFutbol11m
Pep Guardiola's father has stated that Pep won't sign anyone from Barçelona. [Goal]
Ped@ChurchOfFutbol2m
Again, I don't think Pep will announce Thiago's signing. Thiago is one of Pep's favourites, but I can't see it happening.
Ped@ChurchOfFutbol11m
Pep will have his press conference in an hour or so, I'm expecting him to dismiss these Thiago rumours.

Jesus wept..

feck Thiago. Let's take a punt on that Darren Gibson fella... he looks quality.

I just think it's a little naive to think he'd choose us purely because we'd offer him more football, like it or not, Bayern are far more attractive proposition right now.

Surely that depends on what you are looking for? If you're simply looking for the best side, without being overly concerned at how often you'll feature in that side, then yes. But if that's the case he may as well stay where he is.

If he's more interested in joining an equally top class team and actually playing a big role in the potential future success then we're the better prospect imo.

I think this is a load of bullshit if i'm honest. Look at Bayerns midfield, they just signed Gotze! Now explain to me how they can offer Thiago more minutes at Bayern when they have to add Gotze and Thiago into the mix. I can't see that happening unless they sell someone like Shaqiri. But even he only managed 1911 mins in all competitions. Do they sell Ribery and play Gotze in his position? That would open up a slot in the squad for a 3000+mins player.

FWIW, I've put Thiago on the transfer list in my FM2012 game. That'll teach the cnut.

i hope people don't start implying our new manger means we won't get the best players. can we assume hazard chose di matteo over Fergie or moura,sneijder or anybody. get a grip you predictable drama queens.

None of the players you mentioned had previously played for their destination managers. It may or may not happen, but if it did, it would be naive to suggest Thiago's prior experiences playing under Pep didn't heavily factor into his logic.

I think that this is a good juncture for a poster to come in and say that this thread is hilarious and that you are all pathetic.

This thread is hilarious and you are all pathetic!

Surely that depends on what you are looking for? If you're simply looking for the best side, without being overly concerned at how often you'll feature in that side, then yes. But if that's the case he may as well stay where he is.

If he's more interested in joining an equally top class team and actually playing a big role in the potential future success then we're the better prospect imo.

Not disagreeing with you, I can see it from both sides for him, it's just that the way some people are going on is like we're by far the better option for him when in reality there are just as many positives from his perspective towards joining Bayern.

I also doubt money will be that much of a factor, because as far as I'm aware, us and Bayern share a pretty similar wage structure.

That depends on what Pep has promised him in the phone calls he's alleged to have made to Thiago. If he has it from the manager that he'll get games then that might be enough to defeat all the logical arguments we are making about playing time - if the manager says he plays regardless then that might be enough. Given Pep's apparent philosophy of central-midfielders making the best centre-backs (in contrast to our position under Fergie where the reverse was the case) then I could see Thiago being persuaded.

Not saying he would be right to believe he'd push out the existing players on day one, but I can imagine him being convinced by Pep.

I don't think Thiago is the main to be making Pep moving Martinez into defence. However I'm sure if we offer Thiago more money it will solve this Bayern problem.

Not disagreeing with you, I can see it from both sides for him, it's just that the way some people are going on is like we're by far the better option for him when in reality there are just as many positives from his perspective towards joining Bayern.

I also doubt money will be that much of a factor, because as far as I'm aware, us and Bayern share a pretty similar wage structure.

We are a bigger club and play in a far better league.

At Bayern he can learn from Schweinsteiger and develop a partnership with his countryman Martinez, all under the eye of Guardiola. He may play less initially but in the long term he may feel he'll benefit more than playing alongside Phil Jones. That's what I'd be telling him if I was a Bayern fan.

If it is the case that he is signing for Bayern, and previously he has been determined to stick clauses in his contract regarding the amount of game time he gets, then Pep must have given his solid assurances as to how much he would play.

He is picking the best team in Europe, and with the potential to be for a very long time, over a better contract and possibly more games. If I wasn't a biased United supporter, then to be honest I would make the exact same decision in his position.

It is not as simple as that. We might be a bigger club worldwide in terms of supporters, but currently they are the biggest club around. They are the best team in the world at the moment and they play in a fantastic league. They are extremely rich being based in the richest part of Europe.

The Bundesliga is right up there with the PL by the way.

If it is the case that he is signing for Bayern, and previously he has been determined to stick clauses in his contract regarding the amount of game time he gets, then Pep must have given his solid assurances as to how much he would play.

He is picking the best team in Europe, and with the potential to be for a very long time, over a better contract and possibly more games. If I wasn't a biased United supporter, then to be honest I would make the exact same decision in his position.

Am I missing something?

Bigger club alright you are correct there, but the Bundesliga has it's fair share of great teams, and it's not by chance that two German teams competed in last years CL final; so I don't know if I'd call the Prem better at the moment.

Not been following the soap opera last few days - is this over for us then?

We're also a bigger club than Barca in terms of worldwide popularity and revenue, but that hasn't stopped them attracting all the best players during their dominant last 5-6 years. Bayern are basically in the same position as they were now. "Bigger" means nothing to players, they want trophies and success.

Why are people torturing themselves over a 'tweet'...Look the number of times we've been close to signing him, we've signed him at least 5 times already but one rumor - something we've seen multiple times and some take it as gospel. It changes nothing. Honestly.

I think there are various explanations for deals falling through over the last few years, all being logical in hindsight. As far as we know we stalled over the Hazard deal because his agent wanted something like £6m... Fergie hates most agents, no way were we going to pay this much. We basically had Lucas in the bag as was confirmed by the player himself, but Leonardo changed his mind in the last minute (I bet the money offered by PSG helped too) and Lucas wanted to work under Leonardo for some reason. Sneijder probably demanded too much and would've crashed our wage structure, despite being injury prone... I guess we pulled out of the deal in the end. Sanchez was never going to come with Barca interested and him having South American background (culture, language, Barca being hugely successful etc.).

This deal is completely different IMO. We're the most logical destination, we have a gaping hole in midfield, he would be a star from the very start. Bayern are Triple Champions and have the lure of Guardiola, but other than that, it would make no sense to sign for them. We can offer as much in wages if not more and there is basically zero competition for him in our CM.

We do need to ask the question why we continue to close the big foreign deals, also we tend to prolong the negotiating phase when signing players.

Over the last few years we have continually failed with bids for big foreign players, was this due to Fergie, the board or simply the fact we have lost that attraction?

Why are people torturing themselves over a 'tweet'...Look the number of times we've been close to signing him, we've signed him at least 5 times already but one rumor - something we've seen multiple times and some take it as gospel. It changes nothing. Honestly.

Stop talking sense. Right now! Can you not see people are having a break down here!? :lol:

We're also a bigger club than Barca in terms of worldwide popularity and revenue, but that hasn't stopped them attracting all the best players during their dominant last 5-6 years. Bayern are basically in the same position as they were now. "Bigger" means nothing to players, they want trophies and success.

We are not.

Good post spot on.

Spoil-sport, just enjoy the doom and gloom and the elation of the thread.

The nothing of course being that none of us know anything. And so if he signs for Munich, its just as likely that going to happen all along and everything else has been twatter hot air.

How the feck could he possibly give him assurances that he will play most games when they have Schweinstiger and Martinez who have formed a genuinely great partnership and any of Kroos, Gotze and Muller to keep happy playing ahead of them. You could push Muller or Gotze wide but where would that leave Robben and Ribery? Two other great functions of a great team.

I'd understand if Pep really does rate him so highly that he thinks he is a must but if he's trying to be smart he'd better be fecking right because its a move that would take balls like coconuts to start messing around with that team and upsetting settled players who have just won the treble.

We do need to ask the question why we continue to close the big foreign deals, also we tend to prolong the negotiating phase when signing players.

Over the last few years we have continually failed with bids for big foreign players, was this due to Fergie, the board or simply the fact we have lost that attraction?

We never used to be in for these kind of players, so we haven't lost the attraction, we never had it in the first place. Best non-British players have always played for continental sides, and it will continue to be like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.