Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he's confident in his ability to start ahead of them. Martinez could ne used in defence which would cause Schweinsteiger to move in as a defensive midfielder and in Guardiola's prefered formation there could be two slots next to him - one for Kroos and one for Thiago. Guardiola played him a lot at Barcelona even though he had Busquets, Mascherano, Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas, he'd find a way to accomodate him at Bayern. Besides, they know each other well from Barca days and Thiago knows that Guardiola rates him.

In the case that you're right, where would that confidence in his ability be when it comes to Barca then ? If he really were confident, he'd stay at Barca.

Honestly if I was him, I would simply stay where I was.

Probably the most sensible decision to make indeed

I always thought he'd be more likely to go to Bayern if they did come knocking. Less promise of game time there, but when you consider their manager, his agent, what they've just won and the squad they have, it'd be hard to refuse.

But you just said it yourself "Less promise of game time..."

If you are an ambitious player and a central midfielder I would say going to Bayern is a dumb move. Martinez, Schweinsteiger, Gustavo. Oh wait...Tymoshchuk has gone to Zenit. Aha, that's why Thiago wants to sign for Bayern - to replace Tymoshchuk!

Might as well give up on ever trying to sign any quality players other big teams might be in for then?

it's different for him seeing as Pep used to manage him and was notorious at Barcelona for giving youth a chance. I don't think he'd be blind enough to go there if he didn't think he could get first team football.

I'd imagine most players would prefer to play for Pep, especially those that already have. If he goes to Bayern, Pep would be a major influence on his decision.

Absolutely.

We can think what we want but around 95% of footballers on the planet would prefer to work with Pep than Moyes, and especially Thiago seeing as he used to be his manager.

it's different for him seeing as Pep used to manage him and was notorious at Barcelona for giving youth a chance. I don't think he'd be blind enough to go there if he didn't think he could get first team football.
Yeah but there are already a lot of very useful German youth at Bayern, such as Can. Surely if he's that into giving youth a chance, the home grown lads would be given a go, again reducing the available minutes.

Would be a cnutish move from Pep anyway.

Yeah, how dare he go for potentially the best midfielder in the world at a bargain price. What a dick!
Yeah but there are already a lot of very useful German youth at Bayern, such as Can. Surely if he's that into giving youth a chance, the home grown lads would be given a go, again reducing the available minutes.

maybe.

Anyway, didn't a Bayern supporter on here say that Bayern recently played a 4 man midfield?

...so we'd be back to the same point of conjecture - would he get a substantial number of games at Bayern. I say "no", based on how they play. Of course, Guardiola may change the way they play, but not sure he would.
I'd like to see Thiago at OT, and I guess to some extent I'm trying to convince myself he wouldn't go to Bayern...but objectively, I just don't think he would. I mean, he may as well stay at Barca.

Can't disagree with that if you're going on the basis of wanting to work with someone he's already used to. For some reason, I assumed you were talking about a managers pedigree and their ability to attract players in general, hence my reply.

Can't disagree with that if you're going on the basis of wanting to work with someone he's already used to. For some reason, I assumed you were talking about both managers pedigree in their ability to attract players in general, hence my reply.

Well yeah I was talking about both really, I mentioned that in another post.

I just think it's a little naive to think he'd choose us purely because we'd offer him more football, like it or not, Bayern are far more attractive proposition right now.

Moyes has reportedly stated that he wants Thiago to be his new Arteta, which says to me that he intends to build the team's midfield around the player. We've had a gaping hole there since Scholes went off the boil and if I were Thiago I'd love the opportunity to be fielded as the main fulcrum of a major European side rather than just an addition to an already formidable set of options. It's not just about the playing time, it's the importance to the team that I'd be after. Thiago will be second or third fiddle at Bayern and Barca, whereas here he'll play alongside Carrick, a player who's influential but hardly a leader like Schweiny, Xavi or Iniesta.

(The Arteta thing might have been made up by a journalist, but the upshot is still there.)

In the case that you're right, where would that confidence in his ability be when it comes to Barca then ? If he really were confident, he'd stay at Barca.

Probably the most sensible decision to make indeed

He knows that Vilanova doesn't fancy him in the first team, Guardiola likes him more than Tito.

I just think it's a little naive to think he'd choose us purely because we'd offer him more football, like it or not, Bayern are far more attractive proposition right now.

I would agree there, Cina.

I'm not sure why Bayern would be a more attractive proposition for someone who speaks English but not German.

Also if he's leaving to get more first team football I'm not sure how putting us ahead of the chasing pack on the basis we can likely offer him greater opportunities to get first team football, is naive.

I can't break into the side at the club I'm at, what shall I do?

I know, I'll move to the team whose midfield just destroyed my current clubs and sit on their bench instead for a bit more cash!

If he goes to Bayern he's an idiot.
I agree. If he moves to Bayern, then I strongly doubt his primary motivation was to get into the Spain WC squad.

He'll either stay at Barca or sign for us IMO. He's still said absolutely nothing that points towards him making one decision over the other, so that's a positive. It's gone quiet, but up to now there's been little happening anyway apart from Twatter updates and Moyes said to not be alarmed by our silence.

I'd say there's still hope of this happening.

i hope people don't start implying our new manger means we won't get the best players. can we assume hazard chose di matteo over Fergie or moura,sneijder or anybody. get a grip you predictable drama queens.

i hope people don't start implying our new manger means we won't get the best players. can we assume hazard chose di matteo over Fergie or moura,sneijder or anybody. get a grip you predictable drama queens.

It's embarrassing really, but predictable.

Different cases. Hazard, Moura, Sneijder hadn't worked under Fergie or the other managers. Thiago has worked under Guardiola.

Yes if Jesus slept in on then its good enough for Thiago

No, it's not him. If anything a new manager and fresh challenge takes the pressure off the players in a way and anyone joining. It's just a bit frustrating that a lot of great players opt NOT to join us...for whatever reason. And there is plenty of evidence to suggest that United certainly have persued quite strongly some top players who decided against us....

The main reason Thiago got so pissed off at Barca is because Tito wasn't really giving him a chance, he was probably nervous in his first year and kept playing his strongest team over and over. Pep wouldn't make that mistake.

I think there are various explanations for deals falling through over the last few years, all being logical in hindsight. As far as we know we stalled over the Hazard deal because his agent wanted something like £6m... Fergie hates most agents, no way were we going to pay this much. We basically had Lucas in the bag as was confirmed by the player himself, but Leonardo changed his mind in the last minute (I bet the money offered by PSG helped too) and Lucas wanted to work under Leonardo for some reason. Sneijder probably demanded too much and would've crashed our wage structure, despite being injury prone... I guess we pulled out of the deal in the end. Sanchez was never going to come with Barca interested and him having South American background (culture, language, Barca being hugely successful etc.).

This deal is completely different IMO. We're the most logical destination, we have a gaping hole in midfield, he would be a star from the very start. Bayern are Triple Champions and have the lure of Guardiola, but other than that, it would make no sense to sign for them. We can offer as much in wages if not more and there is basically zero competition for him in our CM.

itz my fawlt coz i did dis last yr un signed moura on fifa und then he wunt psg instud. did same with tago n now he'z gunna go bayern. lolz i wunt sign fellaini n we miiite get him. #fifabantz

The main reason Thiago got so pissed off at Barca is because Tito wasn't really giving him a chance, he was probably nervous in his first year and kept playing his strongest team over and over. Pep wouldn't make that mistake.

But he would be in the exact same position he is in now. What does he do going their and wait for Schweistiger to retire? Its either us or he's staying at Barca.

The other thing is: if Bayern/Barca/United got to the CL final at the end of the season, who would likely be in their respective first choice midfields? Thiago would be on the bench for Barca, quite possibly pushed out of the first XI at Bayern but a certain starter for United.

But he would be in the exact same position he is in now. What does he do going their and wait for Schweistiger to retire? Its either us or he's staying at Barca.

Well people have been talking about player shuffling, Martinez redeployed to CB, Schweinsteiger to DM and stuff like that

The other thing is: if Bayern/Barca/United got to the CL final at the end of the season, who would likely be in their respective first choice midfields? Thiago would be on the bench for Barca, quite possibly pushed out of the first XI at Bayern but a certain starter for United.

That's a very good point, someone should reinforce that to him during negotiations. He knows we're in dire need of a midfielder. The oppurtunity is there for the taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.