Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and Jones. That's 5 players capable of playing in midfield, they are all members of our squad who will be expecting to play. Scholes barely played last season and Fletcher didn't even start a game in Premier League if I remember correctly, not much has changed since.

we have 3 midfielders and 3 players capable of playing there. that's actually 3 players for 2 spots.

our striker force- depending o formation we have 5 class players competing for 2 spots (Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Hernadez, Kagawa) and at least 3 more who can do a job when required ( as no 10 Giggs, Young, Powell). That's 5 for 2 spots

see the difference now?

So what is everyone's opinion if we don't sign a world class CM?

I think we're in big trouble unless one of the younger ones can really step up. And i mean really. Can you imagine if Carrick gets a niggling injury or something that lasts a few months? We're fecked. Proper fecked.

Don't forget out new manager has only been in the job just over a week. There was never going to be early business this summer. Also, Moyes commented on the fact there's been a lot of managerial changes so clubs will assess their squads and decide on potential transfers later than usual.

The new manager has been signed up in May. The July 1 date is totally meaningless, I very much doubt that would have prevented us from doing business. At least I hope the club is run a bit better than that.

The new manager has been signed up in May. The July 1 date is totally meaningless, I very much doubt that would have prevented us from doing business. At least I hope the club is run a bit better than that.

Well Moyes has been on holiday, obviously he would've been doing some work behind the scenes before July started but I doubt anything advanced would've been in discussion at that stage.

We have Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and Jones. That's 5 players capable of playing in midfield, they are all members of our squad who will be expecting to play. Scholes barely played last season and Fletcher didn't even start a game in Premier League if I remember correctly, not much has changed since.

We will be lucky if Carrick has a season like the last one, i like Cleverley he is tidy player who keeps the game moving, Anderson continues to frustrate, Giggs is almost 40 and Jones is not a midfielder, he will be a centre back.

We need central midfielders now more than ever.

Same here, and what makes it more annoying is that I cannot find an article on the site about it :nervous:
I couldn't either, but then i found it under 'Transfer Speculation' - it basically says there has been a flurry of bets on him to go to Bayern so they've been cut from 4/1 to 5/2. Which is basically 4/1 to 2.5/1, not a massive shift really. United still 2/5 on.

Also i'm surprised that no one has picked up on the fact that Thiago's obviously not been included in our tour squad.

Does this mean that he's either;

A) going to do most of pre-season with Barca, regardless of where he ends up or
B) going to miss a good chunk of pre season if he comes to us?

Also i'm surprised that no one has picked up on the fact that Thiago's obviously not been included in our tour squad.

Well if he does sign in the next few days he can always fly after the rest of the squad. It's not THAT complicated to arrange in 2013.

Well if he does sign in the next few days he can always fly after the rest of the squad. It's not THAT complicated to arrange in 2013.
Scrap that anyway - i see a load of first teamers aren't on the tour either. Maybe he will hook up with them instead if he comes.

Well Moyes has been on holiday, obviously he would've been doing some work behind the scenes before July started but I doubt anything advanced would've been in discussion at that stage.

Re Thiago: what was there for him to discuss. All he has to do is say 'yes I want him' or 'No, I don't want him'.

If the answer was 'yes', then the agents, CEO and finance guys do all the rest. Moyes then just has to make a few shoomzy phone calls and turn up at the airport topick him up!

I'm not sure even SAF determined what wages should be: he would have signalled a direction, but those were negotiated and ultimately signed off by Gill.

Re Thiago: what was there for him to discuss. All he has to say he 'yes I want him' or 'No, I don't want him'.

If the answer was 'yes', then the agents, CEO and finance guys do all the rest. Moyes then just has to make a few shoomzy phone calls and turn up at the airport topick him up!

I'm not sure even SAF determined what wages should be: he would have signalled a direction, but those were negotiated and ultimately signed off by Gill.

I think it's safe to assume this proposed transfer isn't a straightforward yes or no deal... It's moved far too slowly for that to be the case, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but it hasn't looked a simple proposal to me.

Just putting the dots together ... my gut tells me Thiago wont be coming now. This deal was easy for everyone to finish very quickly IF Thiago wanted to move.

I think he was considering it last week when twatter went into overdrive but since then had a change of heart. Either he is still unsure or he's holding out for a better financial contract plus cast iron promises re playing time from Barcelona. If he was coming to us, it would have happened before we went on tour.

Hope Im wrong.

I think it's safe to assume this proposed transfer isn't a straightforward yes or no deal... It's moved far too slowly for that to be the case, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but it hasn't looked a simple proposal to me.

Given the release clause, surely this is one of the easiest transfers to conduct, if the player wants to move?

My biggest fear on what's holding back this deal is that Thiago's camp might want a certain fixed buy-back fee be written into the contract. He obviously would never leave them if he was starting for them, but he also might not want to close the door for a return there when he is good enough to start for them. Would you want us to sign him if his camp insists on a buy back clause of around £30 million or so?

Given the release clause, surely this is one of the easiest transfers to conduct, if the player wants to move?

Not necessarily, as pointed out with Martinez' transfer to Bayern via a buyout clause there were many complications with legal and VAT issues.

Just putting the dots together ... my gut tells me Thiago wont be coming now. This deal was easy for everyone to finish very quickly IF Thiago wanted to move.

I think he was considering it last week when twatter went into overdrive but since then had a change of heart. Either he is still unsure or he's holding out for a better financial contract plus cast iron promises re playing time from Barcelona. If he was coming to us, it would have happened before we went on tour.

Hope Im wrong.
How much more cast iron can you get than 'you will definitely play a lot, otherwise we'll let you leave for half your value.'?

He had the promises last time and the very reason he has a release clause which is so low is because they didn't fulfil them even though the league was pretty much a formality post-Christmas. I doubt he's holding out for better financials when we would treble his wages AND he would be a starter in at least 35 games a season.
No-one knows though, there are some who think we're trying to negotiate with Barca to spare future working relationships. Truth is no-one knows what's going on except Thiago, his advisors, MUFC and Barca.

I don't see why anyone is going to be on Moyes' back given that he cant make Thiago's mind up for him. If the lad changes his mind it's out of Moyes' (Gill and Woodward's) control ffs.

Also the panicking is getting a bit silly. We don't know that all the clubs eggs are in the Thiago basket and if that goes tits up then were stuck with what we have do we? We might have other options being tied up. Fear not, Fellaini to the rescue

Part of being a manager is convincing players to come and play for you. Especially at glamour clubs like ours.

If Thiago stays at Barcelona, it will be said that had SAF been here, his aura would have convinced Thiago to come and perhaps one of Europe's finest young prospects did not trust his career with the unproven Moyes.

Its different if he signed for Chelsea or Munich because the offered more money, we lost out on Hazard because of money, but simply to play more football, well it would not be an unfair opinion.

Not necessarily, as pointed out with Martinez' transfer to Bayern via a buyout clause there were many complications with legal and VAT issues.

OK - was not aware of that. Yes, there has been talk in the press about the tax complications. Lets hope so!

How much more cast iron can you get than 'you will definitely play a lot, otherwise we'll let you leave for half your value.'?

He had the promises last time and the very reason he has a release clause which is so low is because they didn't fulfil them even though the league was pretty much a formality post-Christmas. I doubt he's holding out for better financials when we would treble his wages AND he would be a starter in at least 35 games a season.

yes, you make a very valid point.

But FCB could also tell him that shit got real, they know screwed up, that everyone deserves a 2nd chance, that they promise it will be different next year, and here is more cash. Thats what I would do if I were them and wanted to keep him.

He then has a real tough emotional decision to make .... remember he grew up there, has so many mates there .... maybe he asks OK, retain the clause and I give you another chance?

Part of being a manager is convincing players to come and play for you. Especially at glamour clubs like ours.

If Thiago stays at Barcelona, it will be said that had SAF been here, his aura would have convinced Thiago to come and perhaps one of Europe's finest young prospects did not trust his career with the unproven Moyes.

Its different if he signed for Chelsea or Munich because the offered more money, we lost out on Hazard because of money, but simply to play more football, well it would not be an unfair opinion.
But it's a bit different when the club he would have to leave are Barcelona. We're not talking about trying to get a player from Everton or Spurs or Athletic Bilbao.

In the eyes of the Spanish, Real Madrid and Barcelona are probably the biggest teams on the planet so it's not really fair to say Moyes should be convincing him to come. There were plenty of players Fergie couldn't convince - Gazza, Shearer, Ronaldinho..

The belief we're waiting for him to 'make his mind up' is quite possibly entirely without foundation.

Sport Witness @Sport_Witness
@imyy7 It's a just a hunch, we'll see. Would be odd if went to Barcelona pre-season on Monday.
4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg

A hunch, just a hunch, is that Thiago just wanted this week as holiday before confirming deal. We'll see.

However, the bits to pick out are that the newspaper now sound certain he's off to Manchester Untied and that it's a matter of when, not if.

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg

As a few are saying, Sport have lost credibility with their claims on Thiago and, as we said, this Real Madrid thing could be more rubbish.

So Rosell did hide in the women's washroom:

"Barcelona would probably not dare to take the 11 from Thiago until an exit is confirmed, fans wouldn't react too well. Club president Sandro Rosell is under a lot of pressure at the moment with supporters unhappy about the Thiago fiasco and Barcelona's handling of Eric Abidal's exit, he had to hide in a women's washroom yesterday when cornered by the press. " --Sport Witness

yes, you make a very valid point.

But FCB could also tell him that shit got real, they know screwed up, that everyone deserves a 2nd chance, that they promise it will be different next year, and here is more cash. Thats what I would do if I were them and wanted to keep him.

He then has a real tough emotional decision to make .... remember he grew up there, has so many mates there .... maybe he asks OK, retain the clause and I give you another chance?
He could do, yeh, but that's his right to decide that.

I think we're all forgetting that because transfers seem to happen on a regular basis, that this could actually be a huge decision for him. He's 22, he would have to leave his friends behind to move to a country he's never lived in, leaving a club where if he does stay he may become there first choice midfielder for the next 10 years.

For a kid that age to make that decision it's quite a difficult thing to do.

What? :lol: Should the club have put down "Thiago (joining the tour when/if he signs the fecking contract)" on the tour list? If he joins the club he might join the tour. He might also not, seeing as he played for the U21 during summer. Doesn't matter either way really, does it?

No one has "picked up on the fact" because it's fecking pointless. I don't even know what you're trying to say really.

What? :lol: Should the club have put down "Thiago (joining the tour when/if he signs the fecking contract)" on the tour list? If he joins the club he might join the tour. He might also not, seeing as he played for the U21 during summer. Doesn't matter either way really, does it?

No one has "picked up on the fact" because it's fecking pointless. I don't even know what you're trying to say really.
Was just thinking out loud mate. Also if you'd read my second post after that i said 'scrap that' when i realised it wasn't really relevant.

But never mind that, you've successfully stamped your authority by mocking me/being purposefully confrontational/being a condescending prick.

Was just thinking out loud mate. Also if you'd read my second post after that i said 'scrap that' when i realised it wasn't really relevant.

But never mind that, you've successfully stamped your authority by mocking me/being purposefully confrontational/being a condescending prick.

But it was an utterly ludicrous point. Why on earth would they include his name in the tour party before an official announcement confirming his signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.