Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he was not directly involved, it doesn't mean he knows nothing of what's going on which is what some people are claiming. I am not sure if you are familiar with Russell's teapot analogy. My use of it in this situation is a bit loose but here is my point. Even if "proof" was shown Hunter indeed put Mazinho in contact with United, football fans would still be quite skeptical. Therefore, I am going to assume that having "proof" really doesn't mean anything in this situation. Since transfer deals are mostly conducted in private, the more general public is left with loose assumptions and most of the time, the proof you are looking for is rarely revealed. If you follow Tancredi Palmeri, he reported on a Roma director who mistakenly forgot to switch off his phone after conversing with radio journalists. They heard his private conversation with a fellow director about some Roma players and now the cat is out of the bag. However, 99% of the time, this would never happen and we would never have such direct access to the players in question.

All of this to make the following point. Stop looking for proof. Whether you find it or not, doesn't mean much in the end. There will always be questions and very few answers. Why? Most of the time, the "proof" people are looking for, will rarely be found because such access to information is hard to come by. Despite the advancement in technology, we have not really gained any further insight into what is actually happening in these negotiations despite what we see on Twitter or other mediums of online news. Ultimately, fans will continue to remain skeptical. Agents will be agents and everyone's agendas will continue to be at play. I could prove to you that I know someone who works at the club. However, if you are just as skeptical as you were before I told you, what has really been accomplished? In fact, you could even be more skeptical. Now consider what I have said and consider the volatile nature of transfers. Can you not see how easy it is for someone who was once deemed as "reliable" to being regarded as "knowing feck all".

That's all very well and good. Not sure what it has to do with my post, I wasn't 'looking for proof' of anything. I was just pointing out that this

Of course you cannot take his every word as gospel but he's someone who put Mazinho in contact with United.

is an odd statement. You're using something he said as evidence that we can trust the things he says. Whatever your theories about transfer rumours and twitter and proof, that's just circular logic. "I'm not a liar", said the man.

We should tweet the official United twitter account, they may not be the Central Source but they would at least be a periphery source.

That's all very well and good. Not sure what it has to do with my post, I wasn't 'looking for proof' of anything. I was just pointing out that this

is an odd statement. You're using something he said as evidence that we can trust the things he says. Whatever your theories about transfer rumours and twitter and proof, that's just circular logic. "I'm not a liar", said the man.
You said there's no "proof" of his involvement. Therefore, it's not a matter of whether or not you are looking for proof. Your statement implies that if we are to trust this man, you would like to see some proof. Circular logic doesn't mean it's not relevant. You're just exemplifying my point. Even if someone else said, Graham Hunter put Mazinho in contact with United, it would still be left to scrutiny. Honestly, we have little else to go on other than what a few journalists, who I think are reliable, have said. I have already conceded my assumptions stating I think Hunter knows about this situation. Trying to go any further will lead to unnecessary frustration. I just don't see how that equates to knowing absolutely nothing.

If MUFC_Insider thinks CentralSources is legit it's good enough for me.

FWIW...

MUFC Insider@InsiderMUFC8s
#Thiago will sign for Manchester United. Don't worry. #MUFC #FCB

Expand Collapse
This "insider" says not to worry, which is probably good advice regardless of how he means it. With or without Thiago, we're going to lift the prem trophy again in May 2014. That's good enough for me, although I really would love to have Thiago on our side to beat the shit out of the sniveling Catalan bitches.

FWIW...

MUFC Insider@InsiderMUFC8s
#Thiago will sign for Manchester United. Don't worry. #MUFC #FCB

Expand Collapse
This "insider" says not to worry, which is probably good advice regardless of how he means it. With or without Thiago, we're going to lift the prem trophy again in May 2014. That's good enough for me, although I really would love to have Thiago on our side to beat the shit out of the sniveling Catalan bitches.

I fear I was being more sarcastic than evidently came across.

I fear I was being more sarcastic than evidently came across.

That probably goes for most of us too. Here's the deal: I'm all in for bringing in incredible talent, but at the same time I hope we don't fall for the belief that Thiago or whoever is some kind of savior (or saviour for you Brits). We lifted the prem trophy fairly easily last season despite a fairly bad run of injuries to key players and we were handling Real fairly well until the Turkish cnut took control of the game. Thiago would be a very nice addition to the squad, no doubt about it, but it will take some time for him to adapt to the brutality of the English league and in any event he's not going to walk into the club and become our star player. If we can keep Rooney and Nani, I really do see those two putting in incredible performances next season. I can see Kagawa bring brilliant. If I'm right about this (and to be honest, I'm usually wrong about these things), I'm not sure Thiago would get as much playing time as we would naturally think he's going to get. At least not early on.

At any rate, let's get this deal done, but it's not as though Thiago Alcantara will mean the difference between United lifting the prem trophy again and not.

It's ridiculous that people say "don't worry" - until he has signed the contract anyone in their right mind would and should worry. There are so many things that can go wrong in a transfer:

We have had players failing their Medical (van Nistelrooy)
We have had players not getting a work permit (that brazilian guy in the late 90's)
We have had players promising to sign for United and gone back on their promise while Ferguson was on vacation (Gazza)

Even if someone has it from very reliable sources that Thiago has agreed to join United - there is absolutely nothing to prevent him from changing his mind, or from something to go wrong - at least until the contract is signed.

Don't worry ? Yeah right!

It's ridiculous that people say "don't worry" - until he has signed the contract anyone in their right mind would and should worry. There are so many things that can go wrong in a transfer:

We have had players not getting a work permit (that brazilian guy in the late 90's)
We have had players promising to sign for United and gone back on their promise while Ferguson was on vacation (Gazza)

Even if someone has it from very reliable sources that Thiago has agreed to join United - there is absolutely nothing to prevent him from changing his mind, or from something to go wrong - at least until the contract is signed.

So you recommend full on muppet frenzy? Gods have mercy.

Even after the contract had been signed we've had players leaving (mikel)

Very true. Which is why it's never done until the player signs. Imagine how frustrated SAF was when Hazard snubbed us for Chelsea. Apparently we put a lot of effort into that transfer but the agent fees cost us.

Worry more, that'll help.

Why should anyone "worry" if Thiago does not join? Out of all the things to worry about in the world you think this is worth worrying about?

The lack of perspective does you no favours. Even if you are blessed enough to have nothing more than United to worry about in your life then the fact that they are champions of England should be something worth remembering. And the fact that there are other players playing football in the world besides Thiago.

Thiago. On a horse. Wearing next seasons Barca shirt. Oh mummy!

United and Barca are in the CL semis tied after 20 PKs. They decide to joust instead of deciding the outcome through a coin toss. Thiago dismounts Cleverley to win the contest, rips his armour, rides to the stands next to marjen , Thiago's horse stamps and kills the kid. Thiago then plucks the kids heart and eats it. He rapes all the women in manchester, kills the queen and becomes the Khal of England and Catalonia.

That'd do.

On a positive note, we'll have an academy full of Thiago Jrs in 18 years.

You said there's no "proof" of his involvement. Therefore, it's not a matter of whether or not you are looking for proof. Your statement implies that if we are to trust this man, you would like to see some proof. Circular logic doesn't mean it's not relevant. You're just exemplifying my point. Even if someone else said, Graham Hunter put Mazinho in contact with United, it would still be left to scrutiny. Honestly, we have little else to go on other than what a few journalists, who I think are reliable, have said. I have already conceded my assumptions stating I think Hunter knows about this situation. Trying to go any further will lead to unnecessary frustration. I just don't see how that equates to knowing absolutely nothing.

You're still making the mistake of thinking I was trying to make some sort of wider point about whether or not we can trust Hunter's information. I wasn't. I was just pointing out that the sentence which I quoted was pointless, and demonstrated nothing, because it was circular logic. Circular logic, by the way, exactly means that 'it's not relevant'. By definition, it's a logical fallacy which renders the statement meaningless.

Anyway, we're labouring over minutiae. This is the problem with the caf - you can never raise an objection to one specific point, no matter how carefully you explain that that's what you're doing, without the poster assuming you're arguing with everything they have ever believed in. I don't disagree with you about Hunter, or indeed about sports journalism in general.

You're still making the mistake of thinking I was trying to make some sort of wider point about whether or not we can trust Hunter's information. I wasn't. I was just pointing out that the sentence which I quoted was pointless, and demonstrated nothing, because it was circular logic. Circular logic, by the way, exactly means that 'it's not relevant'. By definition, it's a logical fallacy which renders the statement meaningless.

Anyway, we're labouring over minutiae. This is the problem with the caf - you can never raise an objection to one specific point, no matter how carefully you explain that that's what you're doing, without the poster assuming you're arguing with everything they have ever believed in. I don't disagree with you about Hunter, or indeed about sports journalism in general.

Everything else is fine but what I bolded. It would be better if we discussed this over private conversation but you're making a grave mistake if you this is what you absolutely think about circular logic. There are cases where it is relevant. Think about it.

People just have too much unnecessary shit to say about sums it up.

Stop filling the thread up with bollocks.

Allow me to fill it up with bullshit instead:

MUFC Insider@InsiderMUFC 14m
Please be aware that this #Thiago deal may not even be announced, until 3 weeks- #MUFC are keeping dates & timescales very private.

Think i've had enough of this saga now tbh. Not a single one of these Twitter nobs knows feck all. They're literally making up the most nonsensical rubbish now. Even more than usual.

When someone who's working as an actual agent or journalist comes out with some news, then we can get excited. Until then we might as well just play the waiting game and stop thinking about it.

Everything else is fine but what I bolded. It would be better if we discussed this over private conversation but you're making a grave mistake if you this is what you absolutely think about circular logic. There are cases where it is relevant. Think about it.

Yep, I've PM'd you.

I may have slightly slipped into the trap of outwardly not assuming anything about this transfer but subconsciously getting used to the idea of him playing for us this season. Luckily the pre-season tour squad has got me all excited about the players we actually have again. My inner Tom Cleverley fanboy never died, apparently, he just went dormant. feck you Cina.

Think i've had enough of this saga now tbh. Not a single one of these Twitter nobs knows feck all. They're literally making up the most nonsensical rubbish now. Even more than usual.

When someone who's working as an actual agent or journalist comes out with some news, then we can get excited. Until then we might as well just play the waiting game and stop thinking about it.

Ahh, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!

IF we sign this lad, the day after it'll be (re: our next target) "Oh god it's taking soooo long. I feel like I want to kill myself. Greedy mercenary feck!"

Part of being a manager is convincing players to come and play for you. Especially at glamour clubs like ours.

If Thiago stays at Barcelona, it will be said that had SAF been here, his aura would have convinced Thiago to come and perhaps one of Europe's finest young prospects did not trust his career with the unproven Moyes.

Its different if he signed for Chelsea or Munich because the offered more money, we lost out on Hazard because of money, but simply to play more football, well it would not be an unfair opinion.

So was SAF not a very good manager because we didn't get all of our targets? Should we have been on his back for missing out on numerous players over the years.

If Thiago doesn't come here, we accept it and move on. People spitting their dummies out and blaming Moyes is futile and senseless given that he could have tried everything in his power to bring him here.

You can say what you want about Hunter but as far as I can tell, the man has been consistent. He hasn't said deal done. He has maintained the 80/20 stance and that he will report news when there is news. What news is there? If you can't handle the lack of actual news, whose fault is that?

Of course you cannot take his every word as gospel but he's someone who put Mazinho in contact with United. Therefore, it's safe to say he probably knows something. If I was in his position, I would be a little annoyed with all the constant mentions. The use of Twitter has made numerous people desperate for news. So much so, people forget how long transfer negotiations can go and become very impatient. If you are a journalist and have no news to report, why should you have to repeatedly the same thing to thousands of people? I would be even more annoyed if someone misconstrued what I said (as a journalist) and then try and use that against me as if they seem to imply I don't know anything.

playing devil's advocate is fun

Some of the tweets he's getting are ridiculous. Some of our fans on twitter are acting like his Thiago's agent. He can't give a new report every day if nothing has changed.

Why should anyone "worry" if Thiago does not join? Out of all the things to worry about in the world you think this is worth worrying about?

The lack of perspective does you no favours. Even if you are blessed enough to have nothing more than United to worry about in your life then the fact that they are champions of England should be something worth remembering. And the fact that there are other players playing football in the world besides Thiago.

I used to think you moaned too much about the muppets being muppets, but I couldn't agree more with you today ;)

I want Thiago here but people getting themselves into a frenzy about his possible non-arrival is just silly.

I want Thiago here but people getting themselves into a frenzy about his possible non-arrival is just silly.

I think its not just his "non-arrival", its the non-arrivals in general as well as the lack of tangible realistic gossip that is freaking people out. Even Leighton fecking Baines would calm people down a little right now I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.