Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we'll get Barkley from Everton if Thiago has been using us all along. I doubt Everton would sell and he's probably still a year away from being ready for the premier league but he will be top class no doubt eventually

I'm more annoyed about how this deal seems to be stalling our approach for other midfielders this summer. I certainly hope we have a backup plan/player if this deal doesn't fall through.

Welcome to my world, just with Higuain instead.

Are they strengthening though?

I mean, who's our rivals signed thus far? City's signed Fernandinho who I can't imagine will be a huge upgrade on their current options (Touré or Silva?) plus Navas, who I'm far from convinced will be a success. Chelsea's signed a couple of squad players in Schürrle, van Ginkel and Schwarzer, neither one of whom is destined to go straigth into the first XI.

Arsenal have signed no-one. Spurs are Spurs, and also probably will manage to lose Bale before the end of the summer.

Fernandinho looks very good, and that gives them an option that isn't Barry or Milner. I'd consider that strengthening. A signing doesn't have to be as good as your very best player to be a good signing. I'm a big fan of Navas so it's a shame he's gone to City. They lack players who can truly operate out wide, and I think he will give them some consistency on the wing, and another area to attack instead of playing so narrow. Their business probably isn't done either, but that's two good signings that definitely improves them I think.

Schurrle is decent too from what I've seen, albeit not too much, but he's a very competent attacking option, and Van Ginkel is a player I wish we were in for, and he will only get better. Again, I don't think their business is done either, but still 2 good signings with alot of headroom for improvement.

Spurs' midfield options look quite clustered, but they have so many good options there now with Paulinho. I also don't think Bale will leave, but that's just speculative. It could certainly happen, but I don't see it. A centre forward and a defender will see them looking quite formidable.

And not just our title rivals, but European rivals too. Bayern have brought in Gotze, Madrid have gotten Isco, Barca look like they might snatch Thiago Silva. I think it would be unwise to get left behind and simply rest on the laurel that we won the league so we're in good shape. Our challengers were limp, but I don't think that will happen again, and even against 'lesser' teams in the Premier League, we were often barged out of the way in midfield with relative ease.

Sarni, both Fletcher and Scholes are more or less gone. Carrick has been fantastic but you cannot expect him to play full 90 minutes in every game. Then we have more or less dependable midfielders in Anderson and Cleverley. and of course stand in midfielders in Jones and Giggs.

My point is- we won the title despite our midfield weakness.

We have Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and Jones. That's 5 players capable of playing in midfield, they are all members of our squad who will be expecting to play. Scholes barely played last season and Fletcher didn't even start a game in Premier League if I remember correctly, not much has changed since.

We have Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and Jones. That's 5 players capable of playing in midfield, they are all members of our squad who will be expecting to play. Scholes barely played last season and Fletcher didn't even start a game in Premier League if I remember correctly, not much has changed since.

Jones will get more game time as a RB and a CB I think. He'll play in midfield when he's on special duty to do a job a la Real Madrid this season.

Giggs will play as much on the wing, and be used sparingly. The only reason for him and Jones playing in CM so often is a lack of options.

Scholes played a lot during the first half of the season, then got injured.

Fletcher won't ever be a real option for us in any game of importance, sadly.

In short our three dedicated midfield options are Carrick, Cleverley and Anderson, with huge question marks over Anderson's ability to stay fit. That's frigtheningly thin.

Jones will get more game time as a RB and a CB I think. He'll play in midfield when he's on special duty to do a job a la Real Madrid this season.

Giggs will play as much on the wing, and be used sparingly. The only reason for him and Jones playing in CM so often is a lack of options.

Scholes played a lot during the first half of the season, then got injured.

Fletcher won't ever be a real option for us in any game of importance, sadly.

In short our three dedicated midfield options are Carrick, Cleverley and Anderson, with huge question marks over Anderson's ability to stay fit. That's frigtheningly thin.

I think we'll be fecked if we start another season with just these players and I reckon Carrick's legs will go if we keep using him in literally every single game but I can see how Moyes might not sign a midfielder. It's kind of our tradition.

Apart form Carrick, all of the other 4 have question marks over them (for different reasons).

There's a lot of pressure on Moyes to complete this deal. If not, he'll find fans on his back already.

Considering he is not the 1 in charge of making the actual transfers happen, I do not see why that's the case.

It would be Gills replacement who failed - not Moyes.

Considering he is not the 1 in charge of making the actual transfers happen, I do not see why that's the case.

Do you really think football fans will take that into consideration?

Speaking of Woodward, we haven't seen much of him so far, I would have expected him to appear on the Moyes presser tbh. Is he going to Asia with the squad or staying behind to sort out transfers?

Do you really think football fans will take that into consideration?

Most of them will still be too busy rubbing their eyes, wondering why Fergie looks so young to even ask the question.

I don't see why anyone is going to be on Moyes' back given that he cant make Thiago's mind up for him. If the lad changes his mind it's out of Moyes' (Gill and Woodward's) control ffs.

Also the panicking is getting a bit silly. We don't know that all the clubs eggs are in the Thiago basket and if that goes tits up then were stuck with what we have do we? We might have other options being tied up. Fear not, Fellaini to the rescue

I don't see why anyone is going to be on Moyes' back given that he cant make Thiago's mind up for him. If the lad changes his mind it's out of Moyes' (Gill and Woodward's) control ffs.

Also the panicking is getting a bit silly. We don't know that all the clubs eggs are in the Thiago basket and if that goes tits up then were stuck with what we have do we? We might have other options being tied up. Fear not, Fellaini to the rescue

There are plenty who had no thoughts of Thiago at United a couple of months ago who seem to think the club might as well shut down if, gasp, he decides to stay in beautiful Barcelona.

extended holiday after playing an after season tournament and were just waiting till hes home? Hell if I was on a the money these guys were on in be on holiday till the day before pre-season.

There are plenty who had no thoughts of Thiago at United a couple of months ago who seem to think the club might as well shut down if, gasp, he decides to stay in beautiful Barcelona.

Like most on here I really want us to sign him.
But the idea of fans being on Moyes' back if we don't is ludicrous. Not sure if it was said in jest.

Hazard was similar, him going to Chelsea seemed to signal doom to United after he was hyped up to incredible levels in the transfer thread. Thiago would be a great signing but its not always the great signing that end up to be the most important ones. Vidic, Evra and even Carrick dint have people half as excited as this transfer and they were 3 fantastic signings.

I'm not sure this transfer is as much of a saga outside of threads like this tbh - SSN have hardly gone to town on it, and the tabloids are more interested in stirring things up with Rooney rather than giving constant updates on a player that in their eyes isn't "box office".

If the deal doesn't happen (like many are predicting) then would it really register that much with the average non-Caftard supporter enough for them to turn on Moyes?

I think the thing that is worrying most this summer is that (barring a young lad who may or may not make it) there's been no one in and it's mid July. The Hazard saga of last year was after we had already signed Kagawa and Powell. The previous years Sneijder saga was after De Gea had signed on. We're normally very early for our signings and thats not the case this year. Its enough to give normally calm and considered caftards (is there such a thing?) the heeby-jeebies.

I think the thing that is worrying most this summer is that (barring a young lad who may or may not make it) there's been no one in and it's mid July. The Hazard saga of last year was after we had already signed Kagawa and Powell. The previous years Sneijder saga was after De Gea had signed on. We're normally very early for our signings and thats not the case this year. Its enough to give normally calm and considered caftards (is there such a thing?) the heeby-jeebies.

Don't forget out new manager has only been in the job just over a week. There was never going to be early business this summer. Also, Moyes commented on the fact there's been a lot of managerial changes so clubs will assess their squads and decide on potential transfers later than usual.

It's pretty unsettling that despite all the rumoured 'progress' from us being reported by other news sources, the first Sky Sports story on him for days is that Bayern are interested. Although i can't actually find the article on there about it.

Tbh Bayern have been "interested" or "keeping an eye on proceedings" for weeks as well. Nothing has happened on that front either. Nothing is happening at all.

Although, not sure if this has been posted:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-in-Manchester-United-s-pre-season-tour-squad

'There was no further news on possible moves for Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara, but Moyes did say: "Don't be kidded by the lack of activity.
"Take it from me, we are working hard behind the scenes to try and improve the squad. The big thing is that Manchester United will always be in for the best players in the world.'

Although, not sure if this has been posted:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-in-Manchester-United-s-pre-season-tour-squad

'There was no further news on possible moves for Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara, but Moyes did say: "Don't be kidded by the lack of activity.
"Take it from me, we are working hard behind the scenes to try and improve the squad. The big thing is that Manchester United will always be in for the best players in the world.'

that will do it for me for another 24 hours.

its on!

Basically Moyes is saying we are signing Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta - and they will join us after the tour.

feckING GAME ON.

'Being in for the best players in the world' isn't the same as actually signing them. Arsenal have possibly made a bid for Rooney, sure even Wigan could make a bid for Rooney. It means nothing unless the player actually agrees to sign for you though.

Sounds like the same generic bullshit we get every year.

No, there'd be a "no doubt about that" at the end of the quote.

Not really. The generic bullshit we used to get every year was "No value in the market" "Happy with the squad". It seemed quite rare that Fergie would say we were doing any kind of business.

I agree, it's nice for Mr Moyes to let the muppets know that things are being done behind the scenes.

'Being in for the best players in the world' isn't the same as actually signing them. Arsenal have possibly made a bid for Rooney, sure even Wigan could make a bid for Rooney. It means nothing unless the player actually agrees to sign for you though.
Yeh but what else can we do apart from go in for them? We can't force people to sign if they don't want to come. If Thiago doesn't come it'll be because he didn't want to i'm sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.