Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he has, and if it is to join us that still means both clubs have to agree to everything and finalise the transfer. It takes time, and there are many things that could hold the deal up. RVP went to Germany with Arsenal last year, and that was after making it clear he wanted to go. It means nothing.
This, it's just Sky latching onto some snippet of news because it has been pretty quiet recently hasn't it.

Plus the article says absolutely nothing.

Thiago? 'Yes, Thiago plays for us.'
Pre season? 'Yes, we are scheduled for pre season.'

Don't mean shite all.

Maybe he has, and if it is to join us that still means both clubs have to agree to everything and finalise the transfer. It takes time, and there are many things that could hold the deal up. RVP went to Germany with Arsenal last year, and that was after making it clear he wanted to go. It means nothing.

You think he's told Barca that he wants to leave, despite two statements in three days from Freixa saying that he hasn't?

You think he's told Barca that he wants to leave, despite two statements in three days from Freixa saying that he hasn't?

I don't know. Maybe he has, or maybe he hasn't but Barca wouldn't need to come out and say he has asked to leave.

You only have to look at our own ongoing Rooney saga to realise that statements from footballers and club officials are often complete bullshit. How can you be this naive?

Yeah, he said:

But then changed it to:

Quite bizarre.

Fair point, wasn't very clear at first. I mean that at the very least I think we'll hear that he's told Barca he wants to leave or wants to stay before he goes back. He won't go back without making his decision. If that decision is to leave, he might still have to be involved in Barca's pre-season for a while whilst the clubs thrash out a deal (or sort out the release clause stuff).

Even if he has told them he's leaving Barca won't admit it publicly, they'll just try to make out like we swooped in and stole him to appease the fans.

I'm not saying he wouldn't turn up for training. I'm saying he wouldn't turn up for training without having made his decision, one way or another. Everyone, players and management, would constantly be asking him 'so are you staying or what?' He knows what is on offer from the various parties, so why would he go back to training without making his choice?
Because he hasn't decided yet maybe?

You only have to look at our own ongoing Rooney saga to realise that statements from footballers and club officials are often complete bullshit. How can you be this naive?

Rooney 'saga'? And I'm the naive one...

Yes, clubs often bend the truth or outright lie if it serves their purposes. But how would Freixa coming out and claiming that Thiago hasn't told them he wants to leave serve them if he had done exactly that? Chances are, in that hypothetical situation, he'd leave and Freixa and the club would look like idiots.

Anyway, believe what you like. I'm only describing my opinion, which is that Thiago will have made his decision, one way or another, before he goes back to training.

Not saying anything doesn't mean he hasn't decided. He'd be a bit of a shit if he just said "I want to join Manchester United" publicly, ahead of any formal agreement between clubs. It'd be a massive 'feck you' to the club who trained, paid, nurtured and gave him a chance from a young age. I'd not be too sure I'd want to sign someone like that nor would I be happy if any of our players did that either.

I'm starting to lose hope again. If all fails then Tom Cleverley is a good option yo already have and he'll only get better

I'm starting to lose hope again. If all fails then Tom Cleverley is a good option yo already have and he'll only get better

Not sure he even qualifies as a 'good' option. For someone of such a young age his ability to sustain a performance longer than 30-45 minutes is shocking.

Not sure he even qualifies as a 'good' option. For someone of such a young age his ability to sustain a performance longer than 30-45 minutes is shocking.

'How long Tom Cleverley can play well' is the new 'Wayne Rooney's wages'. First a few people decided that he didn't seem to do as well after 80 minutes. Within a month or two the consensus was that he 'fades badly' after 60. Now, apparently, he can't even 'sustain a performance' for more than half an hour. By the time the season starts, the caf will be shocked if he doesn't pass out five minutes into the warm-up.

I went on holiday for a week and fully expected this cnut to be signed.

What the feck have Moyes and not David Gill been playing at?

It'll be announced on Sunday and he'll fly straight into Manchester on Monday. That way he'll never have to face those brutish rapscallions he used to call his teammates at Barca.

David Gill? How long you been on fecking holiday?

Read his post. It's a cheeky one.

It'll be announced on Sunday and he'll fly straight into Manchester on Monday. That way he'll never have to face those brutish rapscallions he used to call his teammates at Barca.
I'm probably just a bit old-fashioned, but I'd like to think in his situation I'd have more respect for my team-mates than to turn up to training as if everything was normal whilst I was still stringing along the club (and, by extention, them) and flirting with suitors.

'How long Tom Cleverley can play well' is the new 'Wayne Rooney's wages'. First a few people decided that he didn't seem to do as well after 80 minutes. Within a month or two the consensus was that he 'fades badly' after 60. Now, apparently, he can't even 'sustain a performance' for more than half an hour. By the time the season starts, the caf will be shocked if he doesn't pass out five minutes into the warm-up.

Well I can only go by what i see and whenever he played last season I often noted how poor his performance was after half time, sometimes after a very promising start. Maybe he expends too much energy at first trying to impress and he's simply not able to sustain it.

Oh. I always miss those. Like them 'how many times does 'the' appear in the following sentence' things

The first set of people were wrong though.

Honestly, I think that's just an excuse. Cleverley is simply not as good as many hoped that he would be.

He can still improve but right now he's certainly not a "top" midfield player.

Honestly, I think that's just an excuse. Cleverley is simply not as good as many hoped that he would be.

He can still improve but right now he's certainly not a "top" midfield player.

I'm not excusing anything. Just pointing out something funny about the way opinions rapidly spiral into extremes on the caf.

The biggest question of Cleverley drifting in and out of games is whether that's physical or mental though.

If it's physical there is no issue, Murray and Djokovic are (in a different sport) testament to how much you can improve your physical attributes in a short time at around that age; both made crazy leaps. If it's mental that's a more tough proposition.

Rooney 'saga'? And I'm the naive one...

Yes, clubs often bend the truth or outright lie if it serves their purposes. But how would Freixa coming out and claiming that Thiago hasn't told them he wants to leave serve them if he had done exactly that? Chances are, in that hypothetical situation, he'd leave and Freixa and the club would look like idiots.

Anyway, believe what you like. I'm only describing my opinion, which is that Thiago will have made his decision, one way or another, before he goes back to training.
Mate! It happens all the time. When Aguero was sold by Atletico Madrid, their president kept making statements that Aguero would not leave. What happened? He left! What's said in public is 90% bullshit.

Strootman might leave for Roma. Didn't PSV say he was going to be playing next season at their club?

Mate! It happens all the time. When Aguero was sold by Atletico Madrid, their president kept making statements that Aguero would not leave. What happened? He left! What's said in public is 90% bullshit.

That's a prediction, though. Freixa's first statement wasn't about whether or not Thiago was going to leave, just that at that time he hadn't told Barcelona he wanted to. Why would he lie about that? It was a voluntary statement, after all, not a reply to a question. If Thiago had told Barca he wanted to leave and Barca didn't want people to know, they could simply not have made a statement.

That's a prediction, though. Freixa's first statement wasn't about whether or not Thiago was going to leave, just that at that time he hadn't told Barcelona he wanted to. Why would he lie about that? It was a voluntary statement, after all, not a reply to a question. If Thiago had told Barca he wanted to leave and Barca didn't want people to know, they could simply not have made a statement.

What exactly did he say when he said Thiago had not told them he was leaving? I've not seen the quote/can't remember...

What exactly did he say when he said Thiago had not told them he was leaving? I've not seen the quote/can't remember...

'There's no news. He has a contract and didn't say anything, so he's still a Barca player now.'

I googled to get that quote. It's widely reported so I'm not sure who originally carried it.

'There's no news. He has a contract and didn't say anything, so he's still a Barca player now.'

I googled to get that quote. It's widely reported so I'm not sure who originally carried it.

Again, maybe I'm just an eternal optimist but that sounds defeatist to me. Like someone who knows the inevitable but is towing the party line.

Again, maybe I'm just an eternal optimist but that sounds defeatist to me. Like someone who knows the inevitable but is towing the party line.

I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's just the translation, but it certainly comes across as an answer just to shut up the questioner.

If you read back many pages ago, that quote was incorrectly translated - there was no 'now' uttered. Don't punish yourselves analyzing misquoted comments

If you read back many pages ago, that quote was incorrectly translated - there was no 'now' uttered. Don't punish yourselves analyzing misquoted comments

Im not sure omitting the 'now' changes the meaning?

Cleverly is simply not fit enough(can change), and not confident enough:
pass1.jpg
pass.jpg
attack.jpg

He is a good squad option and will only get better.
defence.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.