Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still convinced he will come, we have come this far. If Thiago had wanted to stay, he or his agent would have come out and say so already, particularly at the time when his younger brother signed the extended contract

I'm not fussed what we pay. I don't get why fans concern themselves with how much a transfer fee is or how much someone's contract renewal is. One one off payment isn't likely at all to lead to an increase or decrease in the price of tickets or a cup of tea so I don't get the interest in things like that.

Absolutely amazing post. We have some fecking dicks 'supporting' us

And Xavi is getting married this Saturday. As pre-season training starts (for the players who didn't play in the Confederations Cup) on Monday, a lot of Barca players will be there. Will Thiago as his heir apparent be there and will they get him drunk and force him to sign another contract?

I'm happy for him. So he's finally leaving that small bedroom with a single bed in his parent's house? :)

And Xavi is getting married this Saturday. As pre-season training starts (for the players who didn't play in the Confederations Cup) on Monday, a lot of Barca players will be there. Will Thiago as his heir apparent be there and will they get him drunk and force him to sign another contract?
We'll nab him before then :smirk:

This rumour yo-yo's at an alarming rate. It's absolutely on for a couple of days, dead for the next, and so on. Repeat and recycle.

I'm still convinced he will come, we have come this far. If Thiago had wanted to stay, he or his agent would have come out and say so already, particularly at the time when his younger brother signed the extended contract

Unless. Unless. He still hasn't received assurance that he'll play at Barca and that's what he is angling at. That is a chance that he may get convinced to stay even without explicit assurances.

This rumour yo-yo's at an alarming rate. It's absolutely on for a couple of days, dead for the next, and so on. Repeat and recycle.

And if he actually signs, you'll have a host of journalists banging their chest about being right

"there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."

For what it's worth:

Manchester United are expected to complete the £17 million signing of Thiago Alcantara from Barcelona in the next few days.

The Daily Star claims the Spain Under-21s midfielder has agreed a five-year contract with the Old Trafford club in a deal which could reach £20 million with add-ons.

It is understood that “only small details remain to be finalised, including the form of payment.”

Sources close to the player said: “Thiago is very excited by the chance to play in the Premier League.

“He has always been a lover of English football.”

http://www.click-manchester.com/spo...-land-barcelona-starlet-thiago-this-week.html

I'd love to know how many articles have said they expect this to be completed "in the next few days" over the last month. fecking bullshitters. The lot of 'em.

The release clause, written into every player in La Liga's contract by law, was framed with Spanish clubs in mind. That's why it caused so much debate and confusion when Bayern Munich used it. They effectively became the test case for how it would be interpreted under UEFA and EU rules.

In fact, most La Liga release clauses are illegal (or at any rate open to legal challenge) because the law talks about a player's freedom to move at a fair price. Originally people interpreted this as market value + 50%, something like a cost of replacement + hassle factor (hence Real Madrid's purchase of Figo).

These days they're usually set so high they're meaningless (like Thiago's 90m release clause) or set low (like Thiago's 18m one) because of careful negotiation by the agent.

Very interesting... thanks for explaining.

I can't help but feel it's close, but these sorts of stories have been floating around since mid-June.

And if the 'form of payment' thing is true, once that's sorted it should be a case of 'We have signed Thiago subject to medical.' kind of announcement in the next few days. It shouldn't take long to figure out how we're going to pay if this story is true. I still won't believe it til that official announcement comes out.

I normally don't care how much we end up paying for a player either, it's not my money and it's not going to affect any aspect of my life. I'd have a problem with us going over to Barca offering them more money than we could buy him for by triggering the release clause only because we don't want to make them angry. They were the ones to have put the release clause into his contract and its purpose is quite clear.

I don't think we'll pay a penny above what is in the clause though. It'd be like going over to a dealer and telling him you're going to pay 30% extra for a car because you feel it's been undervalued.

Unless, of course, they want to scare Barca a little bit and force their hand into playing him more next season.

Yeah, we simply don't know Thiago's actual motives yet. There's clearly apparent interest from our part, but whether Thiago has genuine interest in moving to United or whether he's using United for a pay rise or more playing time at Barcelona remains to be seen. We've been used like this in the past.

We'd be absolute fecking morons to pay anything over the release clause just to not piss Barca off. We don't sign players from them anyway. I'll literally kill myself if we end up paying €30m for a player with €18m release clause just to be polite.

Every cloud...

I'm sure we'd all welcome Sarni's death, but would it compensate for the extra financial burden on the club?

Jam versus custard? Holy feck, this thread is finally gunna get interesting.

Unless, of course, they want to scare Barca a little bit and force their hand into playing him more next season.

If it's true that Barca have told him that they can't give him guarantees about playing time, I'm not sure how Thiago letting them stew for another few days or weeks is somehow going to manifest itself into more game time next season. I think at this stage, either he's decided to go and the deal is being thrashed out, or he genuinely hasn't made up his mind yet.

I just can't see a club of Barca's stature, with the pulling power and players they've got, would allow a 22 year old to essentially dictate to them and their coach how often he's going to play in a season.

Yes he had a clause written in, and they still didn't give him the playing time.

If they offer him a new contract it's gonna have the same clause in it, and i just can't see Barca being held to ransom like that when they have the power to buy pretty much any player on the planet.

I'm in the camp of either we're being impatient and work is still being done to tie up loose ends, or Thiago himself is still undecided on whether or not to stay and try to fight his way into the team.

Usual form of payment is made via an escrow account isn't it?

We've had a nectar card for a few years and have been getting Ando to buy his snacks from Sainsburys, those points will easily be worth the buy-out clause.

We have been for about three years now, it's bloody obvious we need a midfielder, despite what Robson believes...

Unbelievable comments from Robson that. The cynic among us might suggest that the club asked him to say that to try to "appease" the fans when they realize that we ain't gettin' a new midfielder..

We have been for about three years now, it's bloody obvious we need a midfielder, despite what Robson believes...

What charley said. I meant for news about this 'transfer' that we are start to resort to comfort eating.

If Mazinhio is astute he will not risk another year of promises, instead he should choose us as the best option, if it's all gone quiet then sounds just like degea, kagawa and powell, where old stories just kept getting rehashed, over and over until it went quiet, then bang! Degea signed, kagawa sign etc.

Maybe Robbo's comments were meant as a commendable show of faith in our established players, and nothing else besides.

Status
Not open for further replies.