Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd be absolute fecking morons to pay anything over the release clause just to not piss Barca off. We don't sign players from them anyway. I'll literally kill myself if we end up paying €30m for a player with €18m release clause just to be polite.
Anyone praying that we pay 31 million?

No one is talking about paying 30-million bud.
You're talking about negotiating with Barca, why would we even do that if we didn't intend to pay more than the release clause? Just trigger it and be done with it, either way they're not getting a penny more.

We'd be absolute fecking morons to pay anything over the release clause just to not piss Barca off. We don't sign players from them anyway. I'll literally kill myself if we end up paying €30m for a player with €18m release clause just to be polite.

Every cloud...

It is rare but can happen. Benfica bought Lima from Braga by more than his release clause's worth (adding a player valued at 1m in top of the 4.5m clause.

A release clause can only be activated with full immediate payment. A club may wish (or need) to pay in installments, in which case he'll have to deal with the selling club, and that may imply paying more than the clause.

I do agree that paying more "to be polite" is stupid, as you're unlikely to ever have that favour returned. This is part of the business, if Barcelona ever feels the need to negotiate with United in the future they won't refrain from doing so due to being offended.

If United ends up paying more it's either because of VAT thing or to expedite the process in a friendly manner. It seems from the previous pages that it's not even certain that 18m will be enough, and it's the sort of deal that can bring a load of red tape to delay it.

There have been reports of their interest in Rooney. So, may be we are trying to negotiate a Thiago + cash deal for him. Or may be Thiago + another player. Or as you say the VAT issues and stuff.

Who knows at this point?

In any case, I doubt that we are going to pay more than the release clause + whatever taxes.

It is rare but can happen. Benfica bought Lima from Braga by more than his release clause's worth (adding a player valued at 1m in top of the 4.5m clause.

A release clause can only be activated with full immediate payment. A club may wish (or need) to pay in installments, in which case he'll have to deal with the selling club, and that may imply paying more than the clause.

I do agree that paying more "to be polite" is stupid, as you're unlikely to ever have that favour returned. This is part of the business, if Barcelona ever feels the need to negotiate with United in the future they won't refrain from doing so due to being offended.

If United ends up paying more it's either because of VAT thing or to expedite the process in a friendly manner. It seems from the previous pages that it's not even certain that 18m will be enough, and it's the sort of deal that can bring a load of red tape to delay it.

We sold them Pique 4 years ago, they sold us Hughes in 1988. Giving them more money so they don't feel upset in the future is pointless.

Do we even know his release clause expires 31st July?

It would be fairly random if nothing else in his contract changed or expired on a certain date except that. So he wanted a clause put in just in case he wasn't played enough so he could leave as he's desperate for more first team action - but he decided he probably wouldn't be that bothered come the 1st of August or for the rest of his contract duration? Not sure that seems realistic

Leaked by his camp. Probably a compromise between THiago and the club to expire the clause on the 31st.

I hope we pay 20-25 millions just to piss people off.

Leaked by his camp. Probably a compromise between THiago and the club to expire the clause on the 31st.

I hope we pay 20-25 millions just to piss people off.

You have some weird priorities.

Anyways, judging by the posts, it doesn't seem to be like we're sureshot of signing him like it was thought earlier. Can somebody please let me know what exactly is going on?

The real deadline is August 1st. After that point the buyout becomes meaningless and the power returns to Barca. In my eyes, we are trying to arrange a deal with Barca that does not include activating the release clause, which may make future deals harder to do with Barca. Unless the Spanish become impossible to deal with I say we pay a fair value for the player - make Barca and the player happy, without pissing anyone off. That is the United way.

Aye because we're the classiest club ever, la

You have some weird priorities.

Anyways, judging by the posts, it doesn't seem to be like we're sureshot of signing him like it was thought earlier. Can somebody please let me know what exactly is going on?

Nothing has happened. People have assumed that no news is bad news.

According to Graham Hunter, Barcelona have given Thiago no assurances of extended game play next season and he's still 80-20 to come to us.

Arruda's right about the end of July thing. It's supposed to stop speculation before the season starts. It also allows the club time to get a replacement.

In fact, when a Spanish release gets officially invoked (which as I've said is incredibly rare) the club that's the victim of the forced sale can be granted (by the Spanish FA) an extra month to replace him, even if that means their deadline goes into September. However I doubt it's in anyone's interests for Barca to still be shopping in September.

I'm not fussed what we pay. I don't get why fans concern themselves with how much a transfer fee is or how much someone's contract renewal is. One one off payment isn't likely at all to lead to an increase or decrease in the price of tickets or a cup of tea so I don't get the interest in things like that.

You're talking about negotiating with Barca, why would we even do that if we didn't intend to pay more than the release clause? Just trigger it and be done with it, either way they're not getting a penny more.

Even Spanish clubs, who the contract clause was really written for, avoid using it. Using it risks upsetting relations between the clubs, but it also puts the player and the buyer into a formal breach of contract during things like the contract signing and the medical. That's in addition to the legal and tax advisor fees the buyer/player need to pay.

The main incentive for the seller club to do a deal is inter-club relations. However there are also other irritants about not doing the transfer the normal way. The payment is a lump sum, which may be a tax disadvantage. The LFP can use the money to pay the club's creditors, particularly the tax office or other clubs. And so on...

I think I have to take issue with the idea the release clause was written for Spanish clubs.

Why would Barcelona agree to a release clause that would realistically mean he could only go to their nearest rivals? Surely if the clause was to be activated due to lack of game time they'd much prefer him to sign for a foreign club than Madrid?

He was playing in the under-21's up until June 18th so he's on an extended break at the moment, just like De Gea. I expect the pair of them will finish their vacations at around the same time and that will be when he comes over to Manchester to sign the deal.

I'm not fussed what we pay. I don't get why fans concern themselves with how much a transfer fee is or how much someone's contract renewal is. One one off payment isn't likely at all to lead to an increase or decrease in the price of tickets or a cup of tea so I don't get the interest in things like that.

Incredible. Screw the long term health of the club, that's not your concern right.

I think I have to take issue with the idea the release clause was written for Spanish clubs.

Why would Barcelona agree to a release clause that would realistically mean he could only go to their nearest rivals? Surely if the clause was to be activated due to lack of game time they'd much prefer him to sign for a foreign club than Madrid?

The release clause, written into every player in La Liga's contract by law, was framed with Spanish clubs in mind. That's why it caused so much debate and confusion when Bayern Munich used it. They effectively became the test case for how it would be interpreted under UEFA and EU rules.

In fact, most La Liga release clauses are illegal (or at any rate open to legal challenge) because the law talks about a player's freedom to move at a fair price. Originally people interpreted this as market value + 50%, something like a cost of replacement + hassle factor (hence Real Madrid's purchase of Figo).

These days they're usually set so high they're meaningless (like Thiago's 90m release clause) or set low (like Thiago's 18m one) because of careful negotiation by the agent.

Incredible. Screw the long term health of the club, that's not your concern right.

Well, no it isn't. If it was I suspect I'd be being paid a lot more than I am now. Last time I checked I wasn't on the payroll so the financial welbeing of the company isn't of my concern. Directly, anyway.

And I fail to see why a transfer fee would somehow put that at risk. I could be wrong but I think these things are what they might call an occupational hazard for a football club.

The release clause, written into every player in La Liga's contract by law, was framed with Spanish clubs in mind. That's why it caused so much debate and confusion when Bayern Munich used it. They effectively became the test case for how it would be interpreted under UEFA and EU rules.

In fact, most La Liga release clauses are illegal (or at any rate open to legal challenge) because the law talks about a player's freedom to move at a fair price. Originally people interpreted this as market value + 50%, something like a cost of replacement + hassle factor (hence Real Madrid's purchase of Figo).

These days they're usually set so high they're meaningless (like Thiago's 90m release clause) or set low (like Thiago's 18m one) because of careful negotiation by the agent.

Oh okay, that's very interesting.

Final throw of the dice? Vicente Del Bosque: "The most important thing for Thiago is that he keeps on getting games. I think he will get them at Barcelona."

Pay attention to last few lines!

Manchester United's Thiago move is all set to be completed but Bayern Munich are his fall back option

If you're familiar with the Thiago saga then there's no doubt you'll have heard of Catalan newspaper Sport. They had a front page at the weekend which claimed that the transfer was completed and that, on its own, launched many articles in England, but inside their newspaper they said the opposite and explained that a contract wasn't completed and that Bayern Munich was still a very real option for Thiago if Manchester United and Barcelona weren't able to sort the situation out quickly.
Sport today reiterate the Bayern Munich point and say that if Manchester United, his first choice, were to pull out of the running then the midfielder would happily turn his attentions to a move to the Bundesliga champions. Sport do, again, explain that a transfer to Manchester United is close to being finalised but until it's completed then these reports will persist.
We're not even sure Bayern Munich are seriously interested, there's been very little in Germany on the possibility of a Thiago move there and the link appears to come from the presence of Pep Guardiola at the club.

The Catalan newspaper have been desperate for an update on the Thiago situation daily and many people have been waiting for what they have to say but their wild claims over recent days has left their credibility damaged to say the least. Front page after front page has had a new 'revelation' and today is the first time the newspaper's cover is Manchester United free in almost a week.

Yesterday they said that David Villa could be used as part of the Thiago deal, with him, €4m and the midfielder going to Manchester United in exchange for Wayne Rooney. That was rubbished within 24 hours as Villa moved to Atletico Madrid.

Today they've moved on to bringing up the Bayern Munich links again and their attention regarding a new striker has turned to Manchester City's Sergio Aguero, who they somehow think Barcelona can sign for €30m, despite him having a contract until 2017.
Mazinho and his son Thiago are keeping quiet on the transfer and that's frustrating for the Catalan media who are so used to being in a position of power. Barcelona have clearly fed them information in the past to help with moves for players but this time they face the prospect of losing one of their own and they don't know how to react.

Thiago is due back at Barcelona training on Monday, there surely must be huge efforts in Manchester to make sure the deal is completed before then. Sport don't argue that the transfer is close, and if there was any way they could dispute that then they would have found it by now.

So if that ^ article is to be believed, he's not even due back from his break until Monday.

I don't believe anything printed in Sport. They regularly have attention-grabbing front pages which are completely different to the inside article. I know our papers are full of shit but it'd be like The Sun saying 'DAVID VILLA SIGNS FOR SPURS' on the front, and then on page 55 there being a story about Villa signing for Atletico.

If Thiago's not even back from his extended break yet i think that's the biggest indicator as to why it's not been done.

I'm becoming resigned to the 'if it happens it happens, if it doesn't, we've got a shit midfield next season' mindset.

You're literally a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

I literally don't care in the slightest if you say so, all you ever do 99% of the time here is pretending to be uber cool by insulting people. Oh look at me, I'm awesome because I can throw insults at people.

I literally don't care in the slightest if you say so, all you ever do 99% of the time here is pretending to be uber cool by insulting people. Oh look at me, I'm awesome because I can throw insults at people.

Except he sometimes begs the people he has insulted for money because he can't pay his rent. I actually felt sorry for him when he did that, kind of like walking past a piss stinking tramp who has just shit himself, then the very same tramp insulting you by calling you a bum because you didn't give him any coins.

Cider calling someone else a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime is funny.

Except he sometimes begs the people he has insulted for money because he can't pay his rent. I actually felt sorry for him when he did that, kind of like walking past a piss stinking tramp who has just shit himself, then the very same tramp insulting you by calling you a bum because you didn't give him any coins.

Cider calling someone else a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime is funny.
Wow. I thought this kind of thing only happened in Sierra Leone or Liverpool?

I've decided this isn't happening. No reason. But since everyone's taking sides for no reasons, I figured I don't want to be left behind

The trick is to laugh it off and insult him back. Do it, it works 99% of the time.

I'd love to see a pundit next to Redknapp one day sarcastically exaggerate the word "figuratively" in a sentence.

"He did really well today, I mean he figuratively ran himself into the ground."

Jamie-Redknapp-001.jpg

Final throw of the dice? Vicente Del Bosque: "The most important thing for Thiago is that he keeps on getting games. I think he will get them at Barcelona."

He's not going to say, "Thiago has to move abroad, he's at a critical time in his career and he's not going to get enough playing time at Barca." Imagine if Hodgson told the press that Welbeck should leave because we'd signed RvP.

Meanwhile in other random press gossip there are two Xavi stories of interest. One is Tito and his crew supposedly coming up with a plan to give him more rest so he isn't knackered at the business end of the season. They do mention that if Thiago hadn't been injured, they'd have put said plan into action at the start of last season. Of course that doesn't explain why they didn't put it into action during the middle and end of the season.

And Xavi is getting married this Saturday. As pre-season training starts (for the players who didn't play in the Confederations Cup) on Monday, a lot of Barca players will be there. Will Thiago as his heir apparent be there and will they get him drunk and force him to sign another contract?

He's not going to say, "Thiago has to move abroad, he's at a critical time in his career and he's not going to get enough playing time at Barca." Imagine if Hodgson told the press that Welbeck should leave because we'd signed RvP.

It's not completely outrageous. Trappatoni said it about Darron Gibson.

He was right though. Just like Del Bosque would be right if he said Thiago should leave ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.