Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a good point that I have not seen discussed... How would us acquiring Thiago affect Tom Cleverley?

Because of the sheer volume of games these days, he would get at least 30 games but would Thiago's acquisition mean that Cleverley would have to accept that he was the medium term replacement for Carrick?

i would very much like to see us in that Christmas tree formation. just for a change, maybe for a pre season game, or the community shield.

---------------------van persie-------------------------

--------------kagawa----------rooney------------------

-------thiago----------carrick---------valencia---------

evra----------vidic-------------rio----------------rafael

----------------------de gea---------------------------

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way... oh what what fun it'll be - to see United whoop some ass every fecking day..

Thiago is more in line with Pirlo than Xavi in terms of his style for me.... the problem is that at Barca he has never been allowed to fully express himself, so his dribbling and flair hasn't really come to the fore. For the Spanish U21 sides, again he was almost playing within himself as it was too easy for him, Isco likewise.

Playing Thiago in the hole could work but a) we have enough players for that position in Rooney and Kagawa and b) his skill set is much better utilised from a deeper position and we need him in that centre mid role anyway.

He reminds me of Pirlo in that his set pieces are excellent, I've always thought Xavi's set pieces were a tad overrated but I can definitely see Thiago taking over our Set Pieces and being reknowned for it. He also likes going for the spectacular pass, but he isn't an english hollywood ball player like a Gerrard but he's also not a tiki taka merchant... he assesses the risks and if there's a fair chance of creating a chance, he won't hold back.. suited to our style of play. He's also much more of a goalscorer, I can see him getting 10-20 goals a season with the talent he possesses, no reason why he can't be getting a strong number of goals from midfield as his ability to strike off either foot and the skill level he possesses is top drawer.

As for his footwork, again just like Pirlo in my opinion who is alot more showboaty in his ability to get past players in tight situations, Thiago also possesses great footwork with a great array of tricks. One advantage Thiago possesses is that he has the speed of a winger, so once he beats a man in midfield... if he's bearing down on goal, the opposition centre-backs are in trouble as he's a threat in his own right. Finally he's also very much like Pirlo, quite ambidextrous... whereas the likes of Scholes, Xavi, Iniesta are reluctant to make use of their weaker foots.

I don't know about Pirlo earlier on in his career but for the most part he has been a deep lying playmaker... Thiago is not really that is he? Stylistically I guess I know what you mean, but I think overall (in terms of style, position and effectiveness) I would've thought he'd been more similar to Scholes of old and Fabregas in the PL... I think that's the way he will play if he signs for us. Maybe with a slight more flair and less goal threat in the beginning, which he will develop. Remember Cesc's goal threat wasn't all that great in the beginning, missed a load of easy chances until his breakthrough.

Its a good point that I have not seen discussed... How would us acquiring Thiago affect Tom Cleverley?

Because of the sheer volume of games these days, he would get at least 30 games but would Thiago's acquisition mean that Cleverley would have to accept that he was the medium term replacement for Carrick?

Cleverley will get plenty of games even if we sign Thiago, even if we sign Strootman of whoever. Thiago coming off the back of the U21 tournament, young lad from different country will mean Moyes will look to bed him in ever so slowly if he signs. Giggs having a coaching role as well means he will play even less games this season I feel, so I wouldn't be too worried about Cleverley.

a nice information on the stats above. 2nd only to xavi in terms of passing per minute, with a 92% success with a better through ball success, that's great.

i know we are all excited about his attacking potential but his defensive side of the game, or his reading of the game is also good. his Mins per Tackle, Interceptions, and Mins per Interception are way ahead of xavi, iniesta and fabregas. i know they are all attacking minded players and they would leave the defensive job to busquet or alex song, but with thiago, at least from this stats we know he does his defensive job too.

i agree one thing he can improve is his goals and assist. give him a more influential role in midfield, like what he has at the under 21 euros and maybe we can have a 15 goal a season midfielder yet again.

I'd like to see him utilised in a similar role that Scholes occupied in his prime, but he looks as though he's quite adaptable. His all round game looks stong; reads the game well, great vision, great movement, and he can control the tempo of a game. He could play a deeper role, but like people have suggested, I would like to see him played in more of a 'box to box' role, where he could influence the game that bit more. As I say, his all round game looks strong; and the best thing about him for me.

One thing I certainly wouldn't be too worried about is whether he scores plenty of goals or not. If we have a midfield of him, Carrick and Kagawa behind our strikers, someone will be scoring goals.

Cleverley is a good player but he's behind Thiago in terms of current ability, he's almost two years older and his potential is nowhere near Thiago's.

He can be a useful squad player for United. He'll never be Carrick's replacement because he's not that type of player.

a nice information on the stats above. 2nd only to xavi in terms of passing per minute, with a 92% success with a better through ball success, that's great.

i know we are all excited about his attacking potential but his defensive side of the game, or his reading of the game is also good. his Mins per Tackle, Interceptions, and Mins per Interception are way ahead of xavi, iniesta and fabregas. i know they are all attacking minded players and they would leave the defensive job to busquet or alex song, but with thiago, at least from this stats we know he does his defensive job too.

i agree one thing he can improve is his goals and assist. give him a more influential role in midfield, like what he has at the under 21 euros and maybe we can have a 15 goal a season midfielder yet again.

These tackle per minute stats aren't really evidence of how good he is defensively seeing as Giggs makes more per minute than any of our other midfielders despite clearly being nowhere near as good defensively as Carrick.

These tackle per minute stats aren't really evidence of how good he is defensively seeing as Giggs makes more per minute than any of our other midfielders despite clearly being nowhere near as good defensively as Carrick.

How about his high interception stats?

So have we signed this cnut yet?

Winning breaking balls & takin advantage with good distribution, is better than crunch-tackling in my opinion - although it is great for the fans to see that committment & passion from our players too.. gettin stuck in type of thing!

Am i rightthinking that for the first time in the hisotry all caftards want a particular player?? We had fans who were against RVPs. Signing....
I am sure if we knew about the Anderson interest, before the club signed him, everyone would have wanted him as well.
Kagawa must have been a popular rumor as well.

How about his high interception stats?

I think trying to guage a midfielder's defensive play by such simple stats is a bit silly, and that's reflected in Thiago's "excellent" stats despite clearly not being excellent defensively. He's definitely good enough though.

Am i rightthinking that for the first time in the hisotry all caftards want a particular player?? We had fans who were against RVPs. Signing....

Without a doubt man. I think those who arent as enthusiastic are just not willing to commit themselves for a possible let-down, which is fair enough given our track record with these types of things - we seem to always get screwed by clubs offering hotter climates or extensive wage demands. Personally speaking - i dont see the point of not joining the party & just let yourself go with excitement.. feck it - you only live once, unless you're a buddhist of course! :angel:

Many of us were cautious about RVP because of this injury record tbh & thats fair enough. 2 seasons ago was probably his first real season where the question marks were lifted about how long he'd stayed injury-free. I think it was Pogue that used to always jinx the poor cnut by commenting on that & it always seemed to work - voodoo jinxing son bitch :)

We have been in the "advanced stages" for weeks now. cnut it, cnut it anyway.

There will always be one or two who will have some bizarre issues with any signing.

I'm sure there are a few that much rather would want us to sign Strooooootman

We need to sign someone of the Stroots ilk aswell - i think we're all agreeable on that, we just dont seem to have been that bothered about signing mid-fielders as Fergie probably thought we had that covered with time with player progression i.e. Cleverely & Pogba.. And Fletch gettin ill pissed on the parade also, not to mention Ando not fulfilling his potential so far.. Hope he stays tho & stays away from feckin McDonalds more importantly!

Is that Pep quote true from that article? He'd 'love' to play in the PL. I'd love it if he did!

Nah man, it was just a supposed quote from the "source" - not Pep. Bayern are interested i'd say, but they're not as needy for mid-field aquisitions as we are, but we've done the ground-work for a good few years now & hopefully that will prove fruitful..

Status
Not open for further replies.