Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be uncomfortable having Fábregas alongside Carrick? I don't see how it's any more porous than Carrick-Scholes.

You seem to be ignoring the point that Barcelona play a relatively unique system in which they can play attacking midfielders (Iniesta and Deco) in their midfield trio. Deco was named Uefa Footballer of the Year and came 2nd in the Ballon d'Or largely off the back of his performances ahead of the midfield for Porto.

I am not ignoring it at all. Just that I found strange that one of the best player of last decade who hasn't played as an attacking midfielder by some people (you included) is called an attacking midfielder and believed that he would been played in the hole for other teams. I don't agree with that, and I think that he's better as a central midfielder (good at pressure, excellent at passing) than as a No. 10 when he isn't as good at scoring. You mentioned Bayern, I believe that Iniesta could have easily be Bayern's best player, he isn't a better attacking midfielder than Muller.

If you were at all comfortable with Cleverley in the midfield 2 at the beginning of last season, you're getting an upgrade.

I am not ignoring it at all. Just that I found strange that one of the best player of last decade who hasn't played as an attacking midfielder by some people (you included) is called an attacking midfielder and believed that he would been played in the hole for other teams. I don't agree with that, and I think that he's better as a central midfielder (good at pressure, excellent at passing) than as a No. 10 when he isn't as good at scoring. You mentioned Bayern, I believe that Iniesta could have easily be Bayern's best player, he isn't a better attacking midfielder than Muller.

Look at where Deco played for Porto. Look at where Iniesta plays for Spain. It becomes fairly obvious then that the players they use in centre mid aren't all typically used as centre mids in different systems.

Yeah, I definitely don't share those concerns, and I've watched a fair bit of him. His ball retention is brilliant and would only ever be criticised in a team where possession is as highly valued as Barcelona. A bit off topic but I remember reading an article a while back where Xavi spoke about how they're taught about the 'shame' of losing the ball early on in La Masia. It really is a cardinal sin there. Besides I think his pass completion was only bettered by Scholes in our team last season so imo its the perfect signing at the perfect time for us and I hope it gets finalised soon. Whilst we dominate possession against the vast majority of teams, it's not the be all and end all for us, and I remember a discussion in the Cleverley thread a few weeks back where most were saying they'd rather he attempted the risky pass a bit more even if it didn't come off every now and then, and Thiago has that more penetrative side to his passing game also, as opposed to just recycling possession.

In regard to your earlier posts about MD and Sport, MD have also reported Thiago to United and I think they were one of the first to report Barcelona were willingly putting him up for sale back in May (I don't think we were heavily in the frame back then).

Edit: we were https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thiago-alcantara.355208/page-8#post-13482261

We will see how he uses the ball once he arrives but I side with your perspective as I think his ball retention is quite good. I do not think his sloppiness is that bad either.

I am surprised no one has really brought this up but your point about penetrative passing is quite key. Other than Anderson, we don't really have anyone in CM who can drive forward and give the opposition something to think about. A common occurrence whenever we reached the opposition's box would be to continually work it wide, back around, wide again and if nothing is on, rinse and repeat. Now, intrinsically, there is nothing wrong with this process. In some ways, it would be referred to as being patient and attempting to draw out the opposition. However, at times we struggled to work the ball effectively or ended up forcing a cross because our wingers somehow felt nothing was on. We weren't switching the ball progressively enough to draw out the opposition, therefore making our pattern of play quite predictable.

With someone of Thiago's ability, we can use his penetrative passing ability to create openings through the middle. If we put Kagawa as AM, I think this could work really well. What stood out in Kagawa's time at Dortmund is, he didn't mind receiving the ball in traffic as long as options were around him. Thiago is a player who doesn't only play penetrative passes but he makes smart runs off the ball as well. It allows for the quick 1-2s which can take a defender out of the game in a matter of seconds. It is this type of dynamism we haven't been able to portray in any sort of consistency in some time. From all my time of watching football, you always need at least 1 or 2 players who can consistently offer some type of incisiveness. Whether that is through beating a player on the dribble or some type of killer ball, the incisiveness needs to be there. It will be an interesting conundrum for Moyes since he has shown he keen he is for Wayne to stay. I am sure Wayne doesn't want to play any deeper than a 10.

Look at where Deco played for Porto. Look at where Iniesta plays for Spain. It becomes fairly obvious then that the players they use in centre mid aren't all typically used as centre mids in different systems.
I can see where Brwned is coming from here. Revan it seems like you're applying a certain connotation with "attacking midfielder". I do think there is some nuance there and I'm sure you know being an AM doesn't automatically mean you play as a 10. Iniesta is more of an advanced midfielder. As an advanced midfielder, you don't have to be a regular scorer. However, it does require you to add more incisiveness to the attack. David Silva isn't a regular scorer but 2 seasons ago, when City won the title, he was integral to chance creation and maintaining their momentum throughout the game.

Look at where Deco played for Porto. Look at where Iniesta plays for Spain. It becomes fairly obvious then that the players they use in centre mid aren't typically used as centre mids in different systems.

Deco played for Porto as a classic attacking midfielder, but I think that Deco was a better player for Barca. He didn't played as an attacking midfielder for Portugal during his career (if I remember correctly). Iniesta for Spain is a bit different, most of the times he played in the wings (don't get me wrong, not as a winger) because Del Bosque had to play with double pivot + Xavi in central midfield, while Aragones had to play with 2 strikers (except the final when Villa got injured). In all of these cases, Iniesta didn't played as a No. 10, far from it. In 2008 he played as a right midfielder (similar to Silva who played on the other side of the pitch) and in the final when Villa was injured, Fabregas played as an attacking midfielder. In 2010 and 2012, Iniesta played in the left side of the pitch, probably similar to Kagawa last season for us (though not as much as advanced because of the tactics). In all of these cases, he didn't played as a No.10.

Also, the main point is that Thiago is a more Xavi than Iniesta, so while I wouldn't be comfortable with Iniesta playing in a midfield two (though I believe that he would have done good there too, cause he has showed that he is a very versatile player), I have no doubt that Thiago would be perfect for that position.

I think he'd be fine alongside Carrick in a 2. Its not like Anderson or Cleverley do a great deal of mopping up, even though Cleverley improved that aspect last season. Having said that, Moyes liked more of a "solid" central midfield. He even chose to move Arteta out of CM for the final section of his Everton career

You've got a very rigid view of an attacking midfielder. I'm not saying Iniesta is a classic Riquelme-type #10. I'll use pete's terminology (since he's the one that instigated this discussion) and say that Iniesta is a classic inside forward with the work ethic to play deeper. That's why he often played on the "wing" for Barca and Spain. I don't agree at all that Thiago's more Xavi than Iniesta because he loves holding onto the ball, taking players on and taking risks - that's never been Xavi's game.

I do think he's capable of playing both roles like Deco though.

You've got a very rigid view of an attacking midfielder. I'm not saying Iniesta is a classic Riquelme-type #10. I'll use pete's terminology (since he's the one that instigated this discussion) and say that Iniesta is a classic inside forward. That's why he often played on the "wing" for Barca and Spain. I don't agree at all that Thiago's more Xavi than Iniesta because he loves holding onto the ball, taking players on and taking risks - that's never been Xavi's game.

I do think he's capable of playing both roles like Deco though.

That's the part of him being hybrid (having a small Iniesta inside him), if it wasn't for that he would have been a Xavi copy. Anyway, I think that the attacking midfielder discussion is more part of semantics than anything else. It is a very unclear term and personally I don't see Iniesta even as much attacking midfielder as Zidane, let alone the likes of Lampard or Riquelme. On the other side he is not a classic central midfielder like Xavi, Pirlo or Scholes. A more hybrid betwen a central and an attacking midfielder, with his biggest strength being creativity, passing and keeping the ball.

Carrying the ball is a huge part of his game, IMO. It's every bit as prominent as his passing.

Personally I think Iniesta is a better dribbler than passer while Xavi is the other way around. And thats why I'd just about call Thiago closer to Xavi than Iniesta.

Thiago doesn't often 'take on' players, exactly. He doesn't pick up the ball some distance from them and then dribble at them with the intention of getting past, the way Iniesta sometimes does. He beats players who try and tackle or press him, which is something Xavi does all the time.

The fact that he can drop deep and be efficient as well as playing in the hole demonstrates his versatility.

I think it's daft making a scale of Xavi to Iniesta and deciding where to stick his head on that scale. There's a whole spectrum of skills to take into consideration. There's an adventure and urgency in his passing that is closer to Fabregas than either of them for a start.

Thiago doesn't often 'take on' players, exactly. He doesn't pick up the ball some distance from them and then dribble at them with the intention of getting past, the way Iniesta sometimes does. He beats players who try and tackle or press him, which is something Xavi does all the time.

Really? Xavi would never attempt anything like this. He'll shift and shimmy and do his little turn to open up passing options - Thiago clearly likes to take players out of the game with dribbling. He doesn't have the pace to beat player after player in a long run in the way Iniesta can, sure, but then no-one's saying he's the next Iniesta while many are saying he's the new Xavi. There's a fundamental difference in style, for me, in the same way Deco was much more mobile and willing to beat a man than Xavi which ultimately made him a completely different player.

Really? Xavi would never attempt anything like this. He'll shift and shimmy and do his little turn to open up passing options - Thiago clearly likes to take players out of the game with dribbling. He doesn't have the pace to beat player after player in a long run in the way Iniesta can, sure, but then no-one's saying he's the next Iniesta while many are saying he's the new Xavi. There's a fundamental difference in style, for me, in the same way Deco was much more mobile and willing to beat a man than Xavi which ultimately made him a completely different player.

As far as I can recollect that's the longest proper dribble Thiago has produced in a match, and he hardly had much choice in the matter. I'm sure you could find at least one instance of Xavi doing something similar - he often uses his skill and close control to escape tight pressure from several players like that. I'm not saying there's not a fundamental difference in style - obviously there is. But in terms of the role they play best, they're very similar.

Just sign you gosh darn basterd....I don't care if we don't sign anyone for 2 more years...we just need a player like this badly...would make my summer if he signs

As far as I can recollect that's the longest proper dribble Thiago has produced in a match, and he hardly had much choice in the matter. I'm sure you could find at least one instance of Xavi doing something similar - he often uses his skill and close control to escape tight pressure from several players like that. I'm not saying there's not a fundamental difference in style - obviously there is. But in terms of the role they play best, they're very similar.
I've never seen Xavi attempt anything like that. Ever. Thiago can beat players on the dribble with consummate ease. At the same time, he's not like a Hazard type of dribbler where he is focused on dribbling at the defender. He's an immensely talented footballer. Why we try to shoehorn him into some sort of definable role is just silly. His skills mean we can use him in various ways. He will excel in certain positions more than others, but the premise is still the same. Thiago is much more risky in his play than Xavi. There's already one stark difference there. He's not necessarily your archetypal 10 or someone who is the ideal replacement for Xavi. However, he has the tools to excel as an advanced midfielder AND a CM playing deeper.

I am already imagining playing Thiago alongside with Carrick with Kagawa in more advance role. Pure wankable combination on papers :drool:

I think it's daft making a scale of Xavi to Iniesta and deciding where to stick his head on that scale. There's a whole spectrum of skills to take into consideration. There's an adventure and urgency in his passing that is closer to Fabregas than either of them for a start.

This is a very good point. Thiago has that Fabregas/Scholes element in his game of being more direct and sending the long ball early if required that neither Xavi or Iniesta will attempt to do nearly as often. This will be extremely useful if Thiago can launch one from deep in a counterattack to the likes of Nani, Valencia and Young on the wings, or to any of our strikers making a run.

He also has very good foot work, dribbling and vision which suggests he will be neat and tidy and be good at manoeuvring himself out of tight spaces like a young Paul Scholes. IMO alongside Carrick he will be the ideal pairing for just about 80-90% of the games. And then away to City, Chelsea or in Europe you would want another body in their in CM to complement the them.

Never seen Strootman but you can see why we'd be interested in someone like him to fulfil the need in the above away to Europe/City scenario.

I think we should forget about playing Thiago as center midfield in 442 formation. If he came we should move our game away from winger system and change our game to say 4231 or 433. We will have 2 of the best penetrative passer in the game - Thiago and Kagawa. There's no point to rely on our ineffective wingers (Valencia and Young) as our main source of attack.

I think we should forget about playing Thiago as center midfield in 442 formation. If he came we should move our game away from winger system and change our game to say 4231 or 433. We will have 2 of the best penetrative passer in the game - Thiago and Kagawa. There's no point to rely on our ineffective wingers (Valencia and Young) as our main source of attack.

I'd argue we basically do play a 4-2-3-1 these days (though new manager could change that obviously). Next season I could see us utilising almost a 4-1-4-1, with Carrick as the central pivot and Kagawa and Thiago with more attacking freedom + pressing the ball high. Kagawa does a good job of this already and while I'll admit I haven't seen enough of Thiago to know he is defensively I'd assume he plays in the la Masia style of pressing hard high up the pitch.

It surprises me that United fans who've watched Park, Jones and Giggs play in the middle or Fletcher play on the wings can worry over what exact role Thiago might play in our next midfield. And yet, I feel obliged to get involved, because I reckon he can play anywhere that Anderson, Cleverley, Giggs/Park (in the middle) or Scholes have played (in the last 3 years) and most of the positions Carrick has. Of course he'll have a best position just as we'll have a best formation(s), but I wouldn't worry about what he can't do. Not yet.

Then there's the alleged sloppiness. Thiago will look like the model of discipline compared to most of our midfield. Barca are a tiki taka, triangle team until they approach the final third with the opposition mesmerised and pass to Messi. It looks like Thiago gets a bit impatient, he pauses with the ball at times, looks up and wants to break the pattern with an unexpected pass or an unexpected run. At Barca he isn't paid to do the unexpected, he's there to fit in and he can spoil the rhythm.

We'll welcome the unexpected and appreciate the incisiveness and pace changes. The United crowd will love him. We can worry if he comes and doesn't fit in after a few months, but I'll worry even more if he doesn't come. However, this is a time for blind optimism :devil:

He isn't a replacement for anyone. Players like Robson, Keane, Scholes don't get replaced, you just move on.

Yeah if comes I reckon old Trafford will absolutely love his kind of player.

Seems to good to be true somehow. Haven't been this excited about a midfield signing since.. err.. Veron.

Still not done yet though, obviously.

In today's MD:

Thiago and Rafinha: Two brothers, two worlds

Thiago Alcantara, 22 years since April, and Rafa Alcantara, 20 since February, they love and admire dearly. They are such good friends like brothers, something that does not always happen in all families.

And possibly the secret of such good value is that everyone has shown to have a personality that has respected the other. Soccer-speaking only share a passion for the ball with Barcelona shirt, but other issues everyone goes by. Even Thiago is right and Rafinha, left-handed.
Most striking is that Thiago was born in Bari (Italy) due to his father's sporting career, have chosen the Spanish and Rafinha, natural de Sao Paulo (Brazil), Brazil. The youngest of the Alcantara child spent more years there and scored more. But there is more.

Thiago is a firm of Nike while Rafinha was decided by Adidas. And when will negotiate with the club, the club can not 'kill two birds with one stone' because their agents are just different: Pere Guardiola, in the case of Thiago, and Gines Carvajal, in Rafinha.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130...inha-dos-hermanos-dos-mundos_54377248139.html

Nothing new in terms of quotes/times etc in the Spanish press so far today. General tone remains that he's expected to come to United, but that nothing's formalised.

However Sport continue to talk as if Thiago out of Barca and probably off to United is a fact
http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/joan-pi/adios-thiago-hola-rafinha-hola-sergi-2474730
and point out that Thiago's impatience will leave more room for other prospects to come through.

http://sport.es/es/noticias/barca/thiago-united-2471268#

It surprises me that United fans who've watched Park, Jones and Giggs play in the middle or Fletcher play on the wings can worry over what exact role Thiago might play in our next midfield. And yet, I feel obliged to get involved, because I reckon he can play anywhere that Anderson, Cleverley, Giggs/Park (in the middle) or Scholes have played (in the last 3 years) and most of the positions Carrick has. Of course he'll have a best position just as we'll have a best formation(s), but I wouldn't worry about what he can't do. Not yet.

Then there's the alleged sloppiness. Thiago will look like the model of discipline compared to most of our midfield. Barca are a tiki taka, triangle team until they approach the final third with the opposition mesmerised and pass to Messi. It looks like Thiago gets a bit impatient, he pauses with the ball at times, looks up and wants to break the pattern with an unexpected pass or an unexpected run. At Barca he isn't paid to do the unexpected, he's there to fit in and he can spoil the rhythm.

We'll welcome the unexpected and appreciate the incisiveness and pace changes. The United crowd will love him. We can worry if he comes and doesn't fit in after a few months, but I'll worry even more if he doesn't come. However, this is a time for blind optimism :devil:

He isn't a replacement for anyone. Players like Robson, Keane, Scholes don't get replaced, you just move on.

Very good post and specially the last sentence. I've been a fan of him so I'm naturally excited and hopeful by his signature.

Last couple of pages have actually been half decent, people discussing his ability and where he would fit In at united.

So FCBarca, do you think he'd do we'll in a midfield 2 or is he better in a midfield 3?

I think the better question would be where would you get the most out of him. Have to remember, he has the flair to do the unexpected with his creativity and a rigid system would have to allow him that freedom of expression. The fact that Moyes has some experience transitioning Arteta into the Premiership bodes well since Mikel essentially played a similar position for Barcelona too. Very different personalities & skillsets, of course. There will be a learning curve, obviously. Moments where you will be stupified & mesmerized by what he can do and others where you will ponder whether he can ultimately fit in.

And he absolutely can be sloppy on the ball, I think it's a consequence of lapses in concentration more than anything else - not being 100% focused. He'd be leaving his comfort zone & Barça bubble so perhaps that might improve at another club but it's one of the few criticisms you can levy at the player

There is a part of me that is curious how he'd adapt to a different system and league, he's a player I like very much. I've been waiting for him to break out as a talent and I continue to believe Cesc's arrival retarded that progress.

Thiago is more in line with Pirlo than Xavi in terms of his style for me.... the problem is that at Barca he has never been allowed to fully express himself, so his dribbling and flair hasn't really come to the fore. For the Spanish U21 sides, again he was almost playing within himself as it was too easy for him, Isco likewise.

Playing Thiago in the hole could work but a) we have enough players for that position in Rooney and Kagawa and b) his skill set is much better utilised from a deeper position and we need him in that centre mid role anyway.

He reminds me of Pirlo in that his set pieces are excellent, I've always thought Xavi's set pieces were a tad overrated but I can definitely see Thiago taking over our Set Pieces and being reknowned for it. He also likes going for the spectacular pass, but he isn't an english hollywood ball player like a Gerrard but he's also not a tiki taka merchant... he assesses the risks and if there's a fair chance of creating a chance, he won't hold back.. suited to our style of play. He's also much more of a goalscorer, I can see him getting 10-20 goals a season with the talent he possesses, no reason why he can't be getting a strong number of goals from midfield as his ability to strike off either foot and the skill level he possesses is top drawer.

As for his footwork, again just like Pirlo in my opinion who is alot more showboaty in his ability to get past players in tight situations, Thiago also possesses great footwork with a great array of tricks. One advantage Thiago possesses is that he has the speed of a winger, so once he beats a man in midfield... if he's bearing down on goal, the opposition centre-backs are in trouble as he's a threat in his own right. Finally he's also very much like Pirlo, quite ambidextrous... whereas the likes of Scholes, Xavi, Iniesta are reluctant to make use of their weaker foots.

To me, out of all the Barca midfielders he looks the most similar to Fábregas. And he wasn't that bad in the CM role in the Premier League.

i would very much like to see us in that Christmas tree formation. just for a change, maybe for a pre season game, or the community shield.

---------------------van persie-------------------------

--------------kagawa----------rooney------------------

-------thiago----------carrick---------valencia---------

evra----------vidic-------------rio----------------rafael

----------------------de gea---------------------------

Interesting article on Sky Sports: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8810967/Thiago-s-time

Thiago's time

As speculation continues that Thiago Alcantara is set to leave Barcelona for Manchester United, Adam Bate looks at what the Spain international could bring to the Premier League champions.

Thiago-Alcantara_2754764.jpg

Thiago Alcantara: Set to leave Barcelona in cut-price deal.

As good as Leighton Baines is, you could almost sense the concern of Manchester United fans when the club was linked with a move for the Everton left-back. Not only is Patrice Evra a popular figure, but here was confirmation that David Moyes was intent on transforming United into a souped-up version of the Toffees rather than closing the gap on Bayern Munich. Supporters could be forgiven for readying themselves for the arrivals of Marouane Fellaini and Phil Jagielka.

The prospective signing of Thiago Alcantara from Barcelona will do much to banish those thoughts. The 22-year-old Spain international is a hugely talented midfielder more than capable of playing the brand of football to which supporters aspire. With Paul Scholes finally retiring, there is huge anticipation that Thiago could fill that creative void in midfield - much to the annoyance of Barcelona fans who were hoping he could one day inherit the mantle of Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta at Camp Nou.

"There's lots of excitement about him, which is natural because he's a very talented player," Spanish football expert Sid Lowe told ESPN. "There's also a real irritation in Barcelona because they think it is ridiculous letting him go. I think a lot of Barcelona fans feel he should get more minutes. They certainly think that he should have got enough minutes to make sure that this buy-out clause loop-hole didn't exist because it is making him available for a relatively good price."

That loop-hole comes into play because Thiago failed to play 30 minutes or more in 60 per cent of Barcelona's first-team fixtures last season. The consequence of this is that it will cost United €18million to buy-out Thiago's Barca contract rather than the €90m fee that would have applied. As such, the Italy-born player is available at a bargain price and represents a minimal-risk purchase for the Premier League champions. More significantly, he might also happen to be exactly what they need.
Thiago - Passing comparison (La Liga 2012/13)

Player Apps Mins Passes Passes per min Pass % Through-Ball success

Thiago Alcantara 27 1408 1760 1.25 91.8 50%

Cesc Fabregas 32 2321 2262 0.97 88.6 36%

Xavi Hernandez 30 2194 2886 1.32 94.8 24%

Andres Iniesta 31 2093 2243 1.07 90.5 36%

Michael Carrick is a reliable figure in the centre of the pitch and, as a good all-rounder, is capable of operating alongside a variety of different types of player. Tom Cleverley will be optimistic about securing the spot alongside Carrick in the United midfield with his tidy use of the ball but a lack of fantasy to his play could count against him - Thiago is a footballer with the ability to make things happen for his side.

Thiago-Alcantara-Spain-Under21-celeb_2960943.jpg

Celebrating with Spain U-21s

Lowe adds: "He's a central midfielder - a kind of halfway house between Xavi and Iniesta - and a guy who could be a really good player but he may need that little bit of time to adapt. He's technically very gifted. He uses the ball extremely well, he's got great vision, great creativity and he combines really well with the forwards.

"The question mark over him would be the occasional overplaying and the occasional giving the ball away. One of the things that Pep Guardiola really tried to drive into him when he was the Barcelona manager was to play more simply, to be a bit smoother in possession and just move the ball on."

Thiago - Offensive comparison (La Liga 2012/13)

Player Apps Mins Goals Assists Shots Dribbles

Thiago Alcantara 27 1408 2 5 17 37

Cesc Fabregas 32 2321 11 11 19 122

Xavi Hernandez 30 2194 5 8 34 22

Andres Iniesta 31 2093 3 16 35 68

That tendency to overplay is likely to be a source of excitement rather than concern for United fans. While Cesc Fabregas attempted a dribble every 101 minutes in La Liga last season, Thiago tried to beat a player every 38 minutes. As with the likes of Jack Wilshere and Mousa Dembele, a central midfielder with the ability to dribble can open the game up from the middle of the pitch.

Of course, Thiago is unlikely to satisfy the long-held demand at Old Trafford for a ball-winning midfielder. There will be doubts over whether Thiago can adapt to that defensive aspect of the midfield role but the statistics suggest that he is better equipped for that task than some might think. Despite seeing far less action than Xavi and Iniesta, he managed almost as many tackles and interceptions as the two men combined. A Thiago-Carrick partnership might not seem overtly combative but it could still prove effective.

Thiago - Defensive comparison (La Liga 2012/13)

Player Apps Mins Tackles Mins per Tackle Interceptions Mins per Interception

Thiago Alcantara 27 1408 43 33 36 39

Cesc Fabregas 32 2321 46 50 19 122

Xavi Hernandez 30 2194 13 169 22 100

Andres Iniesta 31 2093 33 63 15 140

If there is an area in which United would be hoping for more from the midfielder it is in terms of end-product in the final third. Thiago's came up with fewer goals and assists than his peers at Barcelona with just two goals last season. But perhaps that may be deference to the senior men - his hat-trick in the final of the European Under-21 Championship earlier this summer suggests he can deliver in front of goal when entrusted with greater responsibility.

It looks likely that David Moyes' Manchester United will be the team given the chance to hand Thiago that opportunity. At worst, the Red Devils will help develop Thiago's game and send him back to Barcelona a better player. At best, they may well be acquiring a game-changing superstar at a knockdown price. Either way, it wouldn't be a bad start for the bloke from Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.