Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Jamie Jackson pretty much write the transfer off last week?
He could be talking out of his arse seem as its sunday tomorrow....to spice up the sports section of his newspaper and to sell more copies but usually the guardian are a tiny bit more reliable then the tabloids but not always

Jamie "Jermaine" Jackson's article in full

Thiago Alcântara has a "good chance" of signing forManchester Unitedthis week for about £17m on a five-year deal, though whether David Moyes can complete the transfer of theBarcelonamidfielder before the club fly out on their three-week pre-season tour on Wednesday is unlikely.

United appeared to have lost out on Thiago after Barcelona offered the Spain international assurances that he would receive regular game time. But according to a highly placed source it is understood that the chances of Thiago choosing United have been greatly enhanced, with the 22-year-old set to receive much-improved terms on his current £30,000-a-week contract.

If Thiago does decide on United he would be Moyes's first major signing since replacing Sir Alex Ferguson, and be a player who would strengthen the manager's midfield options while adding a dimension to the side's style under the Scot.

Thiago, who captained Spain's triumphant Under-21 team to the Euro 2013 championship, poses an attacking threat that has been missing from United's midfield since the now retired Paul Scholes began operating in a more reserved role. An illustration of Thiago's threat came in the hat-trick he scored in Spain's 4-2 win over Italy in the Euro 2013 final.

If Thiago does sign before Wednesday, whether he would join his new team-mates on their tour of Thailand, Australia, Japan and Hong Kong would depend on his fitness, the view of the club's medical department and Moyes's preference. New signings at United are often required to have a week of tests and training before they are available for selection. Yet even if Thiago were not to play, the manager may decide that he should fly out at some stage for team-bonding purposes.

Nemanja Vidic can expect to be offered a new one-year deal some time next season in keeping with United's policy of offering only 12-month terms to players who are in their 30s.
Vidic, the club captain, is 32 in October and his contract ends next summer. But despite talks not starting over a new deal and the two recent serious knee injuries inside a year potentially threatening his future at the club, this is usual practice at United. Last season Ryan Giggs did not sign his latest one-year deal until spring.

The prospect of the unsettled Wayne Rooney deciding to run down some or all of his contract does not concern United. Rooney has two years left of a salary worth up to £300,000 a week, and his future is unclear following last season's uneven campaign under Ferguson.

On Friday Moyes stated categorically that Rooney is not for sale but was unable to confirm if the forward is content to stay.

While Rooney's silence regarding his position may be a bargaining ploy regarding any new deal offered by United, if he decided to allow his contract to run down to only 18 months remaining, or less, this would not disconcert United, despite the decrease in his value. With Rooney turning 28 in October, he runs the risk of his prospective earnings in any new contract falling as he nears 30.

Why is this taking so long. :(

I hope all our other muppet targets aren't hurt by the time and energy we are devoting to Thiago.

FCBarca: Say Thiago signs for United, how do you think he should be used to get the best out of him and the team, considering also the players we have already?

High up the pitch, 4-2-3-1 - playing just ahead of Carrick and a CM. Someone will need to clean up behind Thiago because he will have lapses in concentration, or at least he hasn't rid that from his game yet, where he will gift possession away. There will be an adjustment since United play nothing like Barcelona or Spain. I'm sure he'd adapt & excel, he's a footballer and a footballer can play anywhere

*Take with however much salt you like, I have no idea how reliable this Red Issue twitter account is and it could easily go in the Twitter fodder thread*

don't think tweets from pretend itk accounts add much to the thread.

Like I said, take it or leave it
Well I could make an account and quote it in here. We are struggle to get any reliable information from journo's so how redissue1 knows the ins and outs of united transfer policy leaves the mind boggling

High up the pitch, 4-2-3-1 - playing just ahead of Carrick and a CM. Someone will need to clean up behind Thiago because he will have lapses in concentration, or at least he hasn't rid that from his game yet, where he will gift possession away. There will be an adjustment since United play nothing like Barcelona or Spain. I'm sure he'd adapt & excel, he's a footballer and a footballer can play anywhere

Thanks, interesting. How that fits in with Rooney, Kagawa, and any possible plans for another CM signing is an interesting puzzle to ponder.

*Take with however much salt you like, I have no idea how reliable this Red Issue twitter account is and it could easily go in the Twitter fodder thread*

He makes Indyshit looks a professional journo. I though that we said to not post this kind of shit even in twitter thread, let alone in this thread.

A swap deal is a muppet's wet dream. The only recent high profiles ones I can remember are Zlatan-Eto'o and Cole-Gallas deals,

People can read mate and they come on here to discus Thiago ability and also for any news on his transfer the media or people with connections in the game provide. Unless you're going to make people laugh ala olly/jeston. Your not really contributing much to the discussion posting bogus twitter itk.

I disagree. Obviously you've seen a lot of Thiago, but that's not how United are likely to fit him in. A team like Real or Bayern would probably have to play him as the AM, because their CM pair are always deep-lying, very defensively sound players. United, however, tend to go for a pair of complementary box-to-boxers.

Thiago has more than enough defensively and tactically to partner Carrick behind Kagawa (or Rooney, if you're that way inclined). Certainly he's more dependable in that position than Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs or even, in a way, Jones, all of whom we played there last season. (Jones is obviously an excellent defender, and is good in a man-marking role, but I've never thought he understands the midfield anywhere near well enough to be an effective conventional DM/CM.)

I disagree. Obviously you've seen a lot of Thiago, but that's not how United are likely to fit him in. A team like Real or Bayern would probably have to play him as the AM, because their CM pair are always deep-lying, very defensively sound players. United, however, tend to go for a pair of complementary box-to-boxers.

Thiago has more than enough defensively and tactically to partner Carrick behind Kagawa (or Rooney, if you're that way inclined). Certainly he's more dependable in that position than Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs or even, in a way, Jones, all of whom we played there last season. (Jones is obviously an excellent defender, and is good in a man-marking role, but I've never thought he understands the midfield anywhere near well enough to be an effective conventional DM/CM.)

I also think that this is the most likely scenario. Though he could easily play as the most advanced midfielder in a midfield three. Not advanced like Kagawa, Rooney or Ozil at Madrid but more like a Iniesta type of advanced. Though for that, we need to play a possession game which we never did under Fergie, and I doubt that we'll do under Moyes. But, it wouldn't be that bad having a midfield of Carrick, Cleverley(Anderson or a new signing) and Thiago, with Kagawa and Nani in wings behind RVP. But still, the most likely scenario is that he'll play in a midfield two with Carrick, in a role very similar to Cleverley this season. The good thing is that he's very adaptable and can play in a lot of positions, even as an inside forward from the left side if we ever need to.

Well, I'd just add that I think it'd be the wrong way to use him but should the transfer go through, we'll see, of course. I think he has to be close to goal and while he isn't slow, Thiago doesn't have the pace/stamina to play box to box in the Premiership

Well, I'd just add that I think it'd be the wrong way to use him but should the transfer go through, we'll see, of course. I think he has to be close to goal and while he isn't slow, Thiago doesn't have the pace/stamina to play box to box in the Premiership

This is the main reason why this will be (for me) a bizarre signing. Especially if we look to be keeping Rooney and with Kagawa being 'obviously' playing out of position.

The intentions must be to play Thiago in the second CM role next to Carrick, and I am fairly sure he'll excel there.

Glad you brought that up. He gets sloppy at times and our midfield can't afford that since we don't have a dedicated defensive midfielder.

He can dribble really well(as shown by his dribbling stats posted previously), he can also tackle and intercept. Do you think he could play as the deepest midfielder in a midfield three? Behind Carrick and another water carrier. Or will that be wasting his abilities? He can play long balls, and can dribble the ball out of defense

I had a look at this article, Thiago is really versatile.

I sort of agree with you both. I've heard a few people talk about Thiago as a Scholes replacement and many people talking about his excellent ball retention but I don't think that's quite true. He's obviously a very gifted passer and has excellent control but he takes a lot of risks, loves to hold onto the ball for too long and generally isn't one to go for the simple ball. That's generally the skillset of an attacking midfielder or at the very least someone who needs the support of two other centre mids. We frequently play attacking midfielders like this in centre mid though - Anderson's pretty similar in terms of his approach and flaws and Giggs takes more risks than any CM at a top club. It remains to be seen whether Moyes will set his teams up the same way but I suspect he would be bought as a centre mid. It's definitely not a rock solid midfield duo but it wouldn't make us any more porous than we are at the moment.

The intentions must be to play Thiago in the second CM role next to Carrick, and I am fairly sure he'll excel there.

Agreed. He may occasionally work in a more advanced role but I think he's going to be our new 'Scholes.'

Bizarre signing?

He has at least as much pace/stamina as Tom Cleverley (probably much more, in fact), and has much more to his game so could play a deep lying playmaker to conserve his energy during games. He is literally the perfect midfield partner for Michael Carrick, in my opinion.

I agree with you completely here, while FCBarca has seen more of him than we have, I agree with you that the United system should mean that he can play alongside Carrick rather than in front of him.

IMO he'd actually fit into the United side better than he ever has the Barca side as we're a side that has genuine defenders in the spine and the focus is not so much on possession and suffocation as it is on controlling the game while taking calculated risks to continually expose. He'd be allowed more space to create and the natural adventure in his game would be encouraged rather than stifled by the discipline expected at Barca.

Nothing I've seen of him says CM. He would ideally play in the hole - where you don't play Kagawa.

He'd play a similar role to Cleverley last season, hopefully going through 35-40 games without dying after an hour.

Given his confidence on the ball and ability to play simple but effective football, I don't see why he couldn't excel in a withdrawn central role. He'll still have that freedom alongside Carrick, especially with Rooney and Kagawa ahead who are willing to come deep and switch.

He does look the kind of player who'd be smashing 'in the hole', but he also looks very capable of being a serious ball player bang in the middle.

That's usually his best position but I don't know about in a counter attacking team

To add to what I said above, our counter attacking game has always been built on the stability and confidence provided by a strong centreback paring rather than having a dedicated defensive midfielder like Busquets. Carrick provides some protection (a lot considering what else he does) and that's why I think Thiago would excel here. The defensive responsibility is fairly low considering it'd be a "midfield two" and he'd have a lot of freedom to find space and create.

Closer to the goal. He never had that much goals scored or assists make. His best position is probably be the most advanced in a midfield three for a team that plays possession game, but we don't play like that. Him playing as the second most advanced player would be failure IMO, he's not the type of player you can expect 30+ goal/assists for season. Also, he has always been described as Xavi successor and Xavi wasn't your most advanced midfielder to you. From what I have seen of him (very much) he can be an absolute beast as a playmaker in a deeper role (like Xavi to you). He has all attributes for this, and while he had some signs of losing concentration at times, this was only on context of Barca players that are total freaks on that regard, and to us keeping the ball it's not that important as for your team. I see Thiago as a replace for Cleverley and I think that he's superior to him in every aspect of the game, especially when it comes to his creativity and taking more risky options than Cleverley. If he signs I'll expect soon enough that he will be the center of everything for our midfield, and the best option IMO is a midfield three of him, Carrick and Kagawa. All of them are players who likes to pass and will thrive next to each other. Though, it could be ok a midfield of Carrick, Cleverley(Ando) and him, with Thiago being the most advanced of them. We'll see, I think but I really think that he has a lot of potential and is very intelligent to be able to play in whatever formation Moyes makes.

Nothing I've seen of him says CM. He would ideally play in the hole - where you don't play Kagawa.
He played in the CM role in two of the games in the U21 tournament, and he was excellent. Granted, he scored a hattrick when he was in the AM role, but he definitely showed that he can also play the more subdued CM role.

Status
Not open for further replies.