Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever wrote that Sky article must have been reading the Caf.
The opening paragraph made me chuckle a bit because its been 'joked about' on here frequently.

Thiago to Manchester United done? What was ACTUALLY said by Catalan newspaper

If the potential transfer of Thiago to Manchester United hadn't already reached 'saga' status then it has now. Any piece of news is picked up as a signal of hope for those who want the deal to be done as quickly as possible and media outlets are servicing a thirst for news which is not only present in England but in Barcelona too. Fans of the Catalan side would be loathe to let him go.
The recent drama over him being left off an image advertising Barcelona's new kits showed one thing, and it wasn't that his transfer had been finalised. Barcelona used 6 players to push their new kit and Thiago was one of those, the others being Messi, Puyol, Pique, Xavi and Iniesta. All players which Barcelona would claim as La Masia products, it's a big deal and that a young footballer who isn't getting as much football as he would like would be one of the club's main marketing tools and shows his importance.
Barcelona's faithful don't want to see him go anywhere, he's a favourite who many of them feel should have been given more football last season than others from outside of the set-up. He's still right up on the website even now.
Today's front page of Catalan newspaper Sport said that Thiago, who they pictured in a Manchester Untied shirt, had said yes to an Old Trafford move and gave the impression the deal was done. Yet inside the newspaper they confirmed that this was pending on him agreeing terms of the contract and the Premier League side and Barcelona sorting out a difference over the fee, with the possibility again mentioned of making it a conventional transfer rather than a buy-out situation. This would see Manchester Untied pay slightly more and smooth things along and remove any possibility of Barcelona trying to derail the move by asking Thiago for the amount personally and opening up a huge income tax bill for the player.
None of this is new, it has all been reported by Sport and others before. However it will have surely seen newspapers fly off the shelves and the website of the Catalan media outlet has probably had far more hits from outside of Spain this weekend than they normally would.
Sport say that the transfer should be sorted out over the next week, but again that is nothing new and they've said it before themselves. Thiago is due back for Barcelona training on Monday 15th of July and that's where Sport originally got their idea about that being some kind of deadline from, several days ago. It sounds about right, if he's set to leave then he'd be better starting pre-season with his new club rather than his old one.
The newspaper also say that Bayern Munich is still a possibility, which contradicts their suggestion the deal is done. Sport say that if the player, Manchester United and Barcelona can't get things sorted out soon then Thiago would look for another club to move to, with Pep Guardiola's side stated as the second most likely destination.
There's nothing new from Sport today. Their front page may have launched thousands of tweets and hundreds of articles but they don't say anything which they and others haven't said previously. It's not an update, but a recap.

I live in Spain and i agree with FCBarca. This is what I posted last week in the twitter thread

Yeah looks like the transfer window as become a big money seller for papers .Even the so called sensible ones in the UK are getting caught up in it.

In all of my trawling through the Catalan press in the past few weeks, the most common criticisms of Thiago from the Barcelona fans in the comments under articles seems to be giving the ball away too much at times and not winning possession back quickly enough. Those stats show it isn't for a lack of trying because he's making more tackles and interceptions than his fellow CMs in fewer minutes.
You have to remember they are basing it on their own standards which are quite extreme. As you say, the stats speak for themselves. I'm sure his defensive application is more than good enough for our midfield

I would be gutted if we miss out on Thiago, it is just so hard to gauge the current situation with him due to the vicious circle of rumours. fecking transfer window.

Worth up to - clearly indicates that it includes something else than his basic salary. I wouldn't be surprise!

Crikey. That Sky article has made me get my cock out again. He really has the potential to be the heir to Scholes. (Obviously different styles but his ability to dominate the CM etc.)

I still think we are not getting him. He will stay at Barca and we wont buy a cm this summer.

Agree with the first part but this at least shows we have some intention of getting a midfielder, there's no reason for us to abandon it if we miss out on Thiago.

You have to remember they are basing it on their own standards which are quite extreme. As you say, the stats speak for themselves. I'm sure his defensive application is more than good enough for our midfield

Yeah, I definitely don't share those concerns, and I've watched a fair bit of him. His ball retention is brilliant and would only ever be criticised in a team where possession is as highly valued as Barcelona. A bit off topic but I remember reading an article a while back where Xavi spoke about how they're taught about the 'shame' of losing the ball early on in La Masia. It really is a cardinal sin there. Besides I think his pass completion was only bettered by Scholes in our team last season so imo its the perfect signing at the perfect time for us and I hope it gets finalised soon. Whilst we dominate possession against the vast majority of teams, it's not the be all and end all for us, and I remember a discussion in the Cleverley thread a few weeks back where most were saying they'd rather he attempted the risky pass a bit more even if it didn't come off every now and then, and Thiago has that more penetrative side to his passing game also, as opposed to just recycling possession.

In regard to your earlier posts about MD and Sport, MD have also reported Thiago to United and I think they were one of the first to report Barcelona were willingly putting him up for sale back in May (I don't think we were heavily in the frame back then).

Edit: we were https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thiago-alcantara.355208/page-8#post-13482261

Agree with the first part but this at least shows we have some intention of getting a midfielder, there's no reason for us to abandon it if we miss out on Thiago.

Hopefully Moyes doesn't have the same 'If he's not world class, he won't improve us' idea that Fergie seemed to have regarding our midfield.

It's hard to imagine that this isnt happening. So.. Which lineup will bring out the most sexy football next season? I would imagine something like;

Code:
De Gea

Rafael - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Carrick - Thiago

Nani - Kagawa - Rooney

RvP

Would love to see something like this aswell though, but probably not;

Code:
De Gea

Rafael - Ferdinand - Jones - Büttner

Cleverley - Thiago - Kagawa

Zaha - Welbeck - Nani

It would certainly be exciting to watch :drool:

Hopefully Moyes doesn't have the same 'If he's not world class, he won't improve us' idea that Fergie seemed to have regarding our midfield.
Fergie pretty much never had that idea on our midfield. He often chose Water carrier types to do a job in the middle...to great effect I might add.

P.nev, fortune, park etc...

Fergie pretty much never had that idea on our midfield. He often chose Water carrier types to do a job in the middle...to great effect I might add.

I think he was more so talking about the fact that Fergie would rather use players like that in midfield than actually go buy some fecking midfielders because he was so stubborn about the type of players he wanted there.

Well he definitely talked in that way in his final years after the djemba djemba and kleberson days.

It's hard to imagine that this isnt happening. So.. Which lineup will bring out the most sexy football next season? I would imagine something like;

Code:
De Gea

Carrick - Thiago

Nani - Kagawa - Rooney

RvP

I'd hate to see that team, as there's noone from our own ranks there. Hopefully Evans and Welbeck will improve even more next season!

But without thinking about that: Yep, that's a brilliant team, and like you I'd much rather see Rooney out wide than Kagawa.

I think he was more so talking about the fact that Fergie would rather use players like that in midfield than actually go buy some fecking midfielders because he was so stubborn about the type of players he wanted there.

I don't know if it was outright stubbornness or being scarred from missing out on so many midfield targets and then refusing to settle.

I hope Moyes doesn't get burned by midfielders this summer.

Love that team, that's exactly how I'd do it. Although I think there's a strong chance that Evans will be pushing Rio out this season.

EDIT: This one, that is:

Code:
De Gea

Carrick - Thiago

Nani - Kagawa - Rooney

RvP

I don't know about that. There's basically nothing concrete from either party and we're relying on Journos and Twitter for the most part. I'm very much thinking the opposite...it's hard to imagine that it will happen, partly because it'd be such an amazing signing.

Haven't been checking the net much today. Any progress?

The Sport article above (analysed by Sport Witness), the Guardian article (also above) and the Sky article on the previous page are the only decent things to come out of today, although they're all rehashing things that have been said previously. Some decent stats in the Sky one, if stats are your thing.

I don't know about that. There's basically nothing concrete from either party and we're relying on Journos and Twitter for the most part. I'm very much thinking the opposite...it's hard to imagine that it will happen, partly because it'd be such an amazing signing.
True, nothing at all has really been concrete for the last..313 pages, but I guess I'm just an optimist and my gut feeling tells me that his is more or less done.

"Rooney has two years left of a salary worth up to £300,000 a week"

Bloody hell, next week they'll claim he earns £500k.

It's the classic press use of the phrase 'up to'. I can personally guarantee that Rooney's on 'up to' £1,000,000 a week.

Personally I still reckon he's on £180,000/week. That's what the reliable sources were saying before the Sun (or was it the Fail?) plucked the £250,000 figure out of thin air and every ABU in the country jumped on board.

OT, sorry. :nervous:

It's the classic press use of the phrase 'up to'. I can personally guarantee that Rooney's on 'up to' £1,000,000 a week.

Personally I still reckon he's on £180,000/week. That's what the reliable sources were saying before the Sun (or was it the Fail?) plucked the £250,000 figure out of thin air and every ABU in the country jumped on board.

OT, sorry. :nervous:

I posted examples in the Rooney thread a while back, even The Guardian were originally saying £180,000/week when he first signed the contract. It crept up over the years. £300k only appeared from nowhere a few months ago.

Right. I am now confused. jojojo has been brilliant throughout and her opinions are well-constructed and thought out. One of you thinks Sport wouldn't print this story out of spite. FCBarca, I am assuming you feel differently.

I don't recall either local paper doing things out of spite for a Barcelona player, particularly a cantera gem. Thiago has done nothing to elicit any sort of counter propaganda. Rule of thumb with either club's papers is that they are largely unreliable but MD has a different relationship with this board - they appear to be their public arm

The guardian has been the most reliable source so far....it's looking promising but so many teams could come in at the last second and offer him more cash than us like what happened with Hazard last year and with the likes of Ronaldinho and Shearer and ozil and essien and Robben in years gone by that I won't go into muppet frenzy mode until it's been reported that he signed the deal

FCBarca: Say Thiago signs for United, how do you think he should be used to get the best out of him and the team, considering also the players we have already?

Is this fecker still on his hols...does he he share the same travel agent as Moyes!

Joking aside i can't much being done until he returns from his holidays.

The guardian has been the most reliable source so far....it's looking promising but so many teams could come in at the last second and offer him more cash than us like what happened with Hazard last year that I won't go into muppet frenzy mode until it's been reported that he signed the deal

Didn't Jamie Jackson pretty much write the transfer off last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.