Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creative, technical, a midfielder, Spanish.

Can't see it happening.

I'd go for him in a second.

And on a side-note, now that Fergie's not manager anymore we might actualy sign a German player at one point :D (if we look at it from a positive point of view, although nothing will ever make up for losing that legend of a man as a manager)

And on a side-note, now that Fergie's not manager anymore we might actualy sign a German player at one point :D (if we look at it from a positive point of view, although nothing will ever make up for losing that legend of a man as a manager)

:lol: I always suspected Fergie was behind that...but didn't we have that young goalkeeper..Ziegler..at one point?

:lol: Do you really believe that myth how many Germans of United quality have been available over the years? considering their best players stay in Germany. We tried to get Ballack and Ozil they chose other clubs.

Did we ever actually go for Ozil? I thought we looked at him but didn't throw our hat into the ring.

I just half wrote out an OP for a thread about players like this. Perfectly good players that are available or move and United don't show any interest in.

I wonder how much of it is us doing our business quietly, finding out the facts and whether the player is interested or not before we make any sort of approach.

It would explain why we don't go for some players although I think the mental aspect is what decides whether we make an approach or not most of the time.

Did we ever actually go for Ozil? I thought we looked at him but didn't throw our hat into the ring.

I think we did for the price he was going for we would have been silly not to unfortunately he chose Real.

Nobody will sign him, Barca aren't going to let a player of his quality go again without some silly clauses in the contract.

Thiago has just joined up with the U21 side and won't be playing against Malaga after all. From there, we'll probably have to wait until June 18 for any official word on what he decides to do next

Thiago has just joined up with the U21 side and won't be playing against Malaga after all. From there, we'll probably have to wait until June 18 for any official word on what he decides to do next

Interesting. I think he's off. That's the problem when you have too many class players like Barca do in midfield. The youngsters might become impatient and then they leave. Really hope he comes to United though.

Unless the midfielder embargo has been lifted now Moyes is in charge, I don't believe this.

Unless the midfielder embargo has been lifted now Moyes is in charge, I don't believe this.

There was never an embargo we have invested a lot in that position over the years and it hasn't worked out. If he was still here do you think we would be less likely to get Thiago if he was here?

Interesting. I think he's off. That's the problem when you have too many class players like Barca do in midfield. The youngsters might become impatient and then they leave. Really hope he comes to United though.

Perhaps but if he does bolt, it won't be due to impatience as Xavi has suggested, IMO. For me, he's been shown some massive disrespect by the club - and neither under Pep nor with Laporta, IMO, would it have come to this

But it could set a precedent, if cantera players (Tello, Bartra, Montoya, Roberto, Cuenca et al) feel like they are being marginalized then others will/could follow

There was never an embargo we have invested a lot in that position over the years and it hasn't worked out. If he was still here do you think we would be less likely to get Thiago if he was here?

Honestly yes I do think it'd be less likely. There was nothing to suggest Sir Alex was even going for a midfielder, and I think he would have just went for Bale/Ronaldo/Lewandowski and moved Rooney to midfield.

Thought I'd have a peek at the Catalan papers but they have nothing but Neymar articles.

I really really hope we are in for Thiago but won't be getting in muppet mode just yet.

Apparently Thiago's release clause stays at 90m if he plays at the weekend but it'll drop to 18m if he doesn't.

Apparently Thiago's release clause stays at 90m if he plays at the weekend but it'll drop to 18m if he doesn't.

He has joined up with the U21 squad, so he isn't playing. (I think)

Well then apparently his clause will drop to18m. Not too sure about how correct that is but been reading it some places.

Well then apparently his clause will drop to18m. Not too sure about how correct that is but been reading it some places.

Bit of a weird clause if true. 27 league games or 36 games over all.

Strange numbers if true, you'd guess it's the 36 over all games but even though that's a bit of a weird number of games for a clause?

Strange numbers if true, you'd guess it's the 36 over all games but even though that's a bit of a weird number of games for a clause?

It's taken from having to play a set percentage of Barca's games (or minutes). Barca couldn't know before hand how many games they would play over the entire season.

Yes. Thiago would have been just as likely as all those other midfielders we could have signed but didn't.

It wasn't an embargo, but you said it yourself he spent a lot on foreign mids that didn't work out, so i don't think he was willing to get stung again. The fact we played people from other positions in midfield rather than sign an actual midfielder tends to back up that claim.

If SAF had really wanted to sign a midfielder, why didn't he? Surely he cannot possibly have believed we could improve by not signing one. Remember Carrick is the only successful midfield signing SAF has made since signing Keano.

A player like Thiago or Gündogan is exactly what we need to compliment Carrick / replace Scholes / improve our midfield / ensure we can utilise our strikers to the maximum

And me, Philacantara.

We should pledge, Ronaldo style.

The Spaniards are contract clause mad. A good clause to have if you want to play football. A sort of guarantee to have an option to leave if you're not being used.
For a homegrown Barcelona talent to put that kind of clause in his contract shows some determination to play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.