Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, looked very good. And for those who inexplicably refuse to believe he's a CM... he was clearly a CM. Iniesta and Fabregas in front of him, Song behind/alongside him. The 'Xavi' role.

:confused: Pretty sure Barcelona played their usual 4-3-3 system.. Iniesta and Thiago in midfield with Song behind as a DM, then Fabregas as a false 9.

So it was a three man midfield again which nobody questions he can play.

Id take either (or both :P) and be happy as feck. Fabregas would be an amazing transfer though, he's a class player who's fully experienced in the premier league. If he is available this summer then we should be in for him at the very least.

Haven't seen much of Thiago. But I do want us to sign a technically gifted midfielder. Fabregas and Thiago whilst seemingly different type of players would both fit the bill.

FFS, this is going to be the "heartbreak" thread of summer '13, isn't it? Much like the Sneijder, Ozil threads before it... :(

FFS sign him up already Moyesyyyy!

We'll let him go elsewhere for tuppence while we sign and inferior player for more money ;)

I can't see a reason not to have him. The lad is perfect for us.

Maybe it's because United aren't really interested and won't make a bid? Liverpool have wanted Tello for a while, I won't be surprised if they get another Barcelona youngster to go in pair.

Maybe it's because United aren't really interested and won't make a bid? Liverpool have wanted Tello for a while, I won't be surprised if they get another Barcelona youngster to go in pair.

...Well if we're not interested, then it wouldn't be a case of him choosing Liverpool over us, would it?

Maybe we dont make a bid and they do?

As I said to Sarni, if we don't make a bid, then there's no way Thiago can choose Liverpool over us; we won't have been an option for him.

It's all hypothetical, but if we're both in for him, there's no way he'd pick Liverpool over us.

...Well if we're not interested, then it wouldn't be a case of him choosing Liverpool over us, would it?

Exactly, if he goes to Liverpool it'll be because he doesn't have a better choice.

As for United, much rather you lot took Cesc. Plus, I think he'd serve you guys better than Thiago

It's interesting this. We could do with almost any of your midfielders, and our first XI would improve, and you could pick any of our CBs, and your first XI would improve significantly too. Wife swap and all that.

:nervous: Sergi Canos.

I don't think anyone has brought up the possibility that Thiago might not even want to join United. We may all love United, but not everyone on the planet does.

I can see a couple of players rejecting us this summer just because our future isn't as certain without Fergie. I don't believe that personanally, but I'm sure there are players out there who might.

Meh, I don't think foreign players were as interested in playing for Fergie as we sometimes think. They wanted to play for Manchester United - Fergie was just a bonus.

I'm sure in his ideal world he'd be able to start as a regular for Barca. But if he is going to move, I don't see many better options out there. He'd get even less game-time in Bayern's midfield. The Milan teams are on a low ebb at the moment, and with money tight it could well get lower. I haven't heard any rumours that Juventus are looking for midfielders, really, and it wouldn't make much sense for them to do so.

I suppose City or one of the money teams in France would be decent moves. But honestly, I don't see that they offer more than us in anything except money. We are a superb team with a big Thiago-shaped hole in our starting XI.

If he does go then I'd expect a lot of interest for him - I'd be surprised if we had a free run at him, certainly with the history of Chelsea and City hijacking some of our deals.

I suppose the scouts last night being confirmed as ours and for Thiago at least gives us reason to believe we are in for him, but after the last six years there's perhaps inevitable pessimism. I could see Liverpool moving hard for him though; seems like someone Brent would target.

Any team willing to accept Barca's Bojan-like buy-back clause would have an advantage in negotiations. That might be a way for Liverpool to have a realistic prospect of getting him.

So, is it time we change the title to "Thiago Alcantara" instead of having a typo in there?

Any team willing to accept Barca's Bojan-like buy-back clause would have an advantage in negotiations. That might be a way for Liverpool to have a realistic prospect of getting him.

If this clause thing exists then negotiations like that won't even have to come into it.

Hopefully he holds Scholes in as high regards as Xavi and Iniesta do.

If this clause thing exists then negotiations like that won't even have to come into it.

Hopefully he holds Scholes in as high regards as Xavi and Iniesta do.

It's not a clause that 'exists'. I'm saying that Barca would ideally be looking to sell him with a clause giving them the option to buy him back for a fixed price at some point in the future. Obviously we would never buy a player with a clause like that, and that may allow smaller clubs like Liverpool to nip in and have a go at getting him.

So, is it time we change the title to "Thiago Alcantara" instead of having a typo in there?

Maybe we should just keep adding extra 'a's until he signs for us. Thiago Aalacanatara.

It's not a clause that 'exists'. I'm saying that Barca would ideally be looking to sell him with a clause giving them the option to buy him back for a fixed price at some point in the future. Obviously we would never buy a player with a clause like that, and that may allow smaller clubs like Liverpool to nip in and have a go at getting him.

Maybe we should just keep adding extra 'a's until he signs for us. Thiago Aalacanatara.

Apologies, I wasn't particularly clear in my post - I was referring to the (supposed) clause that lowers his buy-out fee considerably.

Apologies, I wasn't particularly clear in my post - I was referring to the (supposed) clause that lowers his buy-out fee considerably.

Ah I see what you mean - if he's got a fixed buy-out, then it'll be up to the player. Good point. So presumably that means that the only way for Liverpool or someone like that to get him is if bigger clubs aren't in for him. Which would be a travesty.

What I like about Thiago is, he's technically gifted but also has the brains to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.