Thiago Alc*ntara | Retires

Wow didn't know it was that many. I thought I saw more of Telles than I should have. Keita is an ideal rather than a reality. Something we should just believe in.
That's such an adequate description of Keita. :lol:

Thiago, who was running the game and was the best player in the first-half, I don't think that necessarily helped the front three," Barnes told talkSPORT.

With [Jordan] Henderson and Fabinho in midfield, they just get the ball forward and are much more direct for the three strong-running strikers to get on the ball and go on attack, Thiago slows the game down.

"When he slowed the game down in tight areas, that is not Mane's game, that is not Salah's game. So we're getting used to a new system, but at the moment it's not working.

Barnes blames Thiago for Liverpool's goal drought
Haha seen that. Long may it continue.

It's interesting that since Thiago came back from his injury.. Liverpool haven't managed to score a goal in those 3 games and only managed 8 shots on target... I don't think his style of play suits them at the moment... Liverpool seem to play hoofball for the majority of their attacking play whereby they either spam crosses into the box hoping for one of their players get on the end of it or they hoof it over the top for one of their front 3 to run onto.. This season so far they have played the 7th most long balls in the league... whereas City are the only team to have played less long balls than us.

Last edited:
Usually very well informed Sport-Bild has an opinion piece today suggesting Thiago might be unhappy at Liverpool and, given the chance, would *walk* back to munich on foot, if the opportunity arose...

he best star walking now then. He will probably have to stop off a couple of times on the way due to a tight hamstring.

very doubtful he’s going anywhere. Whilst he might want to go back, I would suggest if he does go somewhere in the next 18 months it won’t be to Bayern.

He was found out ages ago before, Barcelona never thought twice about letting him go as early as possible. Never really stood out for Bayern in real big matches, let alone for Spain. Pretty much anyone already knew that. If he ever was a star, he would have played for Brazil.

I can believe he wants to go back. It was a bizzare decision to leave in the first place and most people could not believe it.
He is now playing with Curtis Jones and waiting for Ox to come back from injury. All the while getting kicked off the pitch and having to react.

He is class, but the question how much he is suited for their stayle of play is valid. Will often slow things down and in general while giving them more composure not gonna be so quick in transition which is their main weapon.

Usually very well informed Sport-Bild has an opinion piece today citing "people in munich who are in contact with Thiago", suggesting Thiago might be unhappy at Liverpool and, given the chance, would *walk* back to munich on foot, if the opportunity arose...

https://sportbild.bild.de/bundeslig...nen-abschied-schon-bereut-74951410.sport.html
Didn't they have a similar article about Havertz?

Seems like the standard - better off in Germany . shouldnt have left - nonsense article.

Still confused about people thinking he didn't have a good game on Sunday. He was a class above in his position, albeit slightly sloppy at times.

Along with Fabinho easily your best player.
I really want to see them playing together in midfield. I'd be interested to see how we do with a midfield three of Fabinho, Thiago & Keita but as has been said earlier Keita is more of an idea to look forward to than a player to be relied upon.

Still confused about people thinking he didn't have a good game on Sunday. He was a class above in his position, albeit slightly sloppy at times.
Reminded me of a deep lying scholes, the whole game and most things they did well all went through him
Probably had more to do with the front 3 sticking with plan A and Thiago not having a pass on

I really want to see them playing together in midfield. I'd be interested to see how we do with a midfield three of Fabinho, Thiago & Keita but as has been said earlier Keita is more of an idea to look forward to than a player to be relied upon.

I feel like you guys are trying to fix something that's not broken here. Somewhat similar to what United did with Berbatov. That workman like midfield of Fabinho, Milner and Henderson is a feature, not a bug. Beyond players just starting to age out (Wijnaldum is 30, Henderson is 30, Milner is 35), I don't get why you need to change the style of play at all.

Even the Jota / Firmino situation is kind of strange. Feel like Jota was bought in as a rotation option but he did so well that Klopp has a selection headache now.

Usually very well informed Sport-Bild has an opinion piece today citing "people in munich who are in contact with Thiago", suggesting Thiago might be unhappy at Liverpool and, given the chance, would *walk* back to munich on foot, if the opportunity arose...

https://sportbild.bild.de/bundeslig...nen-abschied-schon-bereut-74951410.sport.html
Seems a strange one if that is true. He only had eyes for Liverpool when he was looking to leave as if he had been sold the dream.

If he's regretting leaving Bavaria for Liverpool surely he should have done better research or even asked his best mate De Gea about living in North West England.

I feel like you guys are trying to fix something that's not broken here. Somewhat similar to what United did with Berbatov. That workman like midfield of Fabinho, Milner and Henderson is a feature, not a bug. Beyond players just starting to age out (Wijnaldum is 30, Henderson is 30, Milner is 35), I don't get why you need to change the style of play at all.

Even the Jota / Firmino situation is kind of strange. Feel like Jota was bought in as a rotation option but he did so well that Klopp has a selection headache now.
It's been a consistent complaint among Liverpool fans whenever the 'Brexit' midfield of Henderson, Milner & Wijnaldum have played together. No creativity and lots of hard word. It often left us limited when trying to break teams down. Last season TAA & Robertson were so good in terms of creating chances that our midfield didn't matter as much. We also brought in Fabinho which allowed Henderson & Wijnaldum to protect the full backs as well, giving them license to get forward. Keita was brought in to address the creativity issue in midfield but has been consistently injured. We've also tried Chamberlain there as well but he blows hot and cold. Thiago was brought in to further address the lack of creativity we sometimes have in midfield.

I think Jota was brought in as an alternative to Werner but it all stems from Firmino dropping off in terms of being a goal threat.

As much as I'd like to believe that there's something to that, honestly, this does sound like a piece of senile fan fiction writing, from a guy who I'm afraid these days might have substantially less grasp of the world of football than the average online poster. I'm sure he knows people at Bayern, that's no question, and I'm also sure they're telling to themselves the same self-satisfying and provincially conceited stuff they are apparently telling him, doesn't make it in any way relevant or insightful.

It's been a consistent complaint among Liverpool fans whenever the 'Brexit' midfield of Henderson, Milner & Wijnaldum have played together. No creativity and lots of hard word. It often left us limited when trying to break teams down. Last season TAA & Robertson were so good in terms of creating chances that our midfield didn't matter as much. We also brought in Fabinho which allowed Henderson & Wijnaldum to protect the full backs as well, giving them license to get forward. Keita was brought in to address the creativity issue in midfield but has been consistently injured. We've also tried Chamberlain there as well but he blows hot and cold. Thiago was brought in to further address the lack of creativity we sometimes have in midfield.

I think the definitions of creativity need to get sorted a bit as well. For me, Thiago is the deepest of your midfielders and is creative in the sense that he can retain the ball extremely well and pick out those line breaking forward passes. I think Keita was brought in for the same reason as well, someone who can, from deep, pick out a pass to a player like Firmino who's in space. That sort of contributes to goalscoring but doesn't do much if your front-3 / fullbacks are misfiring.

The sort of creativity I think you're talking about is having a player, like Ozil for instance, floating about at #10 who can find the ball that cuts the opposition defence up.

In both these cases, you don't get the player for free. By putting on a Thiago / Ozil other players would have to pick up the slack defensively which introduces its own set of problems.

I guess, overall my point is, if you have a system that you described above (with the fullbacks + front-3 providing all the creativity) working well enough to the point that you get ~100 pts a season and gets you a CL and knocks you out of another one through some dogshit luck, why bother changing it at all? It's not like it has suddenly stopped working.

I think the definitions of creativity need to get sorted a bit as well. For me, Thiago is the deepest of your midfielders and is creative in the sense that he can retain the ball extremely well and pick out those line breaking forward passes. I think Keita was brought in for the same reason as well, someone who can, from deep, pick out a pass to a player like Firmino who's in space. That sort of contributes to goalscoring but doesn't do much if your front-3 / fullbacks are misfiring.

The sort of creativity I think you're talking about is having a player, like Ozil for instance, floating about at #10 who can find the ball that cuts the opposition defence up.

In both these cases, you don't get the player for free. By putting on a Thiago / Ozil other players would have to pick up the slack defensively which introduces its own set of problems.

I guess, overall my point is, if you have a system that you described above (with the fullbacks + front-3 providing all the creativity) working well enough to the point that you get ~100 pts a season and gets you a CL and knocks you out of another one through some dogshit luck, why bother changing it at all? It's not like it has suddenly stopped working.
I think there's an argument to say that standing still when you're on top of the ladder is the quickest way down. We did need something different in midfield and Milner is 35, Lallana has left & Keita has been constantly injured. Chamberlain is inconsistent when fit and Jones is still young. Fabinho, Henderson & Wijnaldum is fine but it can't last forever.be expected to play all the time. We needed another option and a bit more quality in there. I also think Thiago was brought in to try and control games more (something we struggled with at times last season, particularly away from home).

I get your point, why fix what isn't broken? But Thiago was a necessary purchase imo. We needed genuine quality there.

Bayern left him go because he had a lot of injuries, was really inconsistent, is almost 31 yo... and just like Verratti is a really gifted player who never delivers in big games.
In germany we say "wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal die F**** halten" ;)

Bayern let him go because it was his wish to try something different at the end of his career. We offered him a very good contract that he refused to sign in the last second.

I watched the match yesterday and this was your 100% standard Thiago performance but without a few highlights unfortunately.
As others have said, I'm not convinced yet that Thiago suits Liverpools style.

But Klopp should know Thiago good enough, he probably knows what he is doing.

What does Klopp know that us football fans on an internet forum don't know better? Come on.
Tbf Bayern are on another level with these type of deals. Its not fans v Klopp but Bayern and Bayern already ran him out of Germany

Thought Wijnaldum was our worst player in midfield, got very quickly swarmed by United players when shielding the ball and got dispossessed easily.

Thought Wijnaldum was our worst player in midfield, got very quickly swarmed by United players when shielding the ball and got dispossessed easily.
Yeah he has that habit sometimes. Allows himself to shield the ball for too long and get swamped. Think he's gone in the summer.

Best player on the pitch during the first half. Lucky for us he's not on the same wavelength with the Liverpool forwards yet. He will be class for them unfortunately. He's too good at football to fail.

I really can't see what all the hype is about.

He makes a standard 10 yard pass forward and commentators are like "glimpses of quality there from Thiago" ??

I'm not denying he was an important player for Bayern over the last few years but he was part of a great team with lots of talent all over the place.

Grossly overrated and is just not the right fit for Liverpool. Strolls about playing simple passes. No urgency about him. Slows the play down. Terrible signing!