Thiago Alc*ntara | Retires

He is good on the ball, which everyone knows, but he was committing far too many fouls. It is something that I have seen some players can get away with.

The Fernandinho effect where somehow refs just allow the player to keep fouling without any cards.

He is an excellent player and will be top class for Liverpool over the length of his contract if they can manage him properly and keep him fit. That said I thought he didn’t do much today. Lots of fancy touches, but very little creativity and end product. Did his usual fouling routine we are already familiar with since his Bayern days, without being punished as well.

Ok performance. Good on the ball but passing was very sloppy. Have no clue what the commentators were wanking off about.

Really?
And you couldn't see Thiago's professional fouls during the game?
Shows that it's you who has no understanding of the game.

There’s a reason players commit those fouls, it’s to stop the defence being exposed, you don’t want pacy forwards like Rashford running at a makeshift back line. Especially with someone like Henderson nestled back there. It’s not a sign of having a poor game. There’s a reason Pep gets his players stopping those counters with shithousery.

Never have I seen a player that comes to a certain club and suddenly becomes the picasso of football.

What impact has he done so far to make all the Liverpool fans worship him like a footballing god or something???

Was ok i guess. Did one really good thing in the first 15 but kind of disappeared after that other than his shot in the secnd half.

Never have I seen a player that comes to a certain club and suddenly becomes the picasso of football.

What impact has he done so far to make all the Liverpool fans worship him like a footballing god or something???

Most people thought nothing of the sort, you are going too far.

We could do with someone like him. Not that he was incredible or anything, but he actually looks accomplished and composed in possession unlike our CM options.

The mini-orgasms the commentators have over every little thing he does is ridiculous. Played well for the first 20 minutes and did very little afterwards.

Agreed. Started very well then did not much. Including a lot of poor passes under not much pressure. Despite this, you’d swear we were watching peak Maradonna.

There’s a reason players commit those fouls, it’s to stop the defence being exposed, you don’t want pacy forwards like Rashford running at a makeshift back line. Especially with someone like Henderson nestled back there. It’s not a sign of having a poor game. There’s a reason Pep gets his players stopping those counters with shithousery.
Oh yes, i agree with you there and that's why Fernardinho and Thiago are there to do that job but when their fouling is way, way over the top then yellow cards have to be brandished for their shithousery.

Oh yes, i agree with you there and that's why Fernardinho and Thiago are there to do that job but when their fouling is way, way over the top then yellow cards have to be brandished for their shithousery.

That’s fair enough, these players do often get away without the bookings they deserve, and Thiago should have been booked today. I put that on the ref today though and not Thiago.

Was excellent in two short periods, but otherwise just recycled the ball as you'd expect to a reasonable standard.

The only compliment I can give him is I'd rather have had him than one of our two deep midfielders...but that doesn't convince me he's some amazing one of a kind midfielder either.

As as extreme example to make the point, if Messi came to united now, does he need to do anything first for him to be hailed as the second coming from day 1?
Its based on his reputation, its normal.

About as illuminating as "he was class" then, yeh?

And I’ll reply with “yes he was” and you’ll reply with “the feck he was” and we’ll go on and on and on. Or you could reply to me with something worth reading?

He kept the ball very well, compare his usage of the ball to the United midfield, he moved it well and was a lot less careless with it. He also dealt with being pressed well and carried it vertically a few times beating his man. On top of this he shielded his defense well and made a couple good tackles and had a lot of interceptions. It was a very good midfield performance by any metric.

I told you he was indicating that Klopp is going down hill a bit at Liverpool.

Liverpool and Klopp for me is about hard work especially in midfield- the moment he gets any sort of dictating playmaker in midfield to me it shows that he wants the easier life and they are easier to play against.

I know we didnt get a result but still Thiago Alcantara has be an overrated player who hasnt been world class but been sounded like he is.

It's almost...like.... you understand football. :lol:

Imagine how fecked off I'd be if he was letting Pogba, Rashford, etc, through with a "after you, sir"? If Fred was doing that all game he'd be called a tactical genius on here.

Another player who was guaranteed to be a pundits pet. Really top quality on his day but injury prone.

Had a very, very ordinary first half today, a few careless wastes of possession and nice tidy play that any number 6 in the PL would be satisfied with.

Led to neville and Tyler declaring that he was 'running the show' and then tailed off even more in second half.

A bog standard premier league midfielder performance and should have been booked for repeated fouling where he struggled with the pace.

If the ref does his job he can only do it once.

Poor refereeing today and v Southampton have left him off the hook.

I don't blame him for doing these fouls
If he's not getting booked it just makes sense to keep doing it

That's on the ref to book him to stop it
He's subtle about it though and doesn't go launching in like you sometimes see Fred do.

Thought he was the best midfielder on the pitch today personally though it wasn’t saying much compared to how others did. Very good in spells and general distribution was fairly good. Misplaced a few passes and tackles.

Probably had our best chance.

I told you he was indicating that Klopp is going down hill a bit at Liverpool.

Liverpool and Klopp for me is about hard work especially in midfield- the moment he gets any sort of dictating playmaker in midfield to me it shows that he wants the easier life and they are easier to play against.

I know we didnt get a result but still Thiago Alcantara has be an overrated player who hasnt been world class but been sounded like he is.

What on earth is some of the complete garbage in this thread today? Thiago is a ball recovering machine, hardly an 'Easy Life' player, he made 7 Interceptions today, by far the most on the pitch. Join highest Key Passes, 2nd most dribbles, 2nd most tackles. Also despite everyone saying he was 'non stop fouling' he only committed 3, hardly nigel de jong level stuff.

It's almost...like.... you understand football. :lol:

Imagine how fecked off I'd be if he was letting Pogba, Rashford, etc, through with a "after you, sir"? If Fred was doing that all game he'd be called a tactical genius on here.

You can criticise the referee for not booking him but to criticise the player for doing what it takes to help his team get a result? completely mental.

Had to laugh at the commentators gushing over his every move, but we can all get a little over excited at times, so no harm done.

What on earth is some of the complete garbage in this thread today? Thiago is a ball recovering machine, hardly an 'Easy Life' player, he made 7 Interceptions today, by far the most on the pitch. Join highest Key Passes, 2nd most dribbles, 2nd most tackles. Also despite everyone saying he was 'non stop fouling' he only committed 3, hardly nigel de jong level stuff.

Let's see if Klopp does better with Thiago in the team when his defence comes back.

For me his gameplay and his passing style wont suit the rest of the team as much as you think. I dont think he will necessarily struggle but I dont think he will bring something to Liverpool that wasn't already there or particularly needed in the first place.

We kept passing to their midfield! It was either a successful through ball or played right at him.
Stats doesnt tell the story. He disappeared mid way through the second half and never came back.

Let's see if Klopp does better with Thiago in the team when his defence comes back.

For me his gameplay and his passing style wont suit the rest of the team as much as you think. I dont think he will necessarily struggle but I dont think he will bring something to Liverpool that wasn't already there or particularly needed in the first place.

Agreed. Hendo, Wijnaldum and Firmino have looked very uncomfortable with Thiago around. Good! It shows where we need to be so much better. Firmino particularly needs to get quicker in thought and action. And the sooner Gini gets to Barca the better. He has done a sterling job for us but we need to evolve now.

A midfield of Keita, Ox and Thiago with Jota instead of Bobby will do the trick. Even Shaqiri today showed what we need alongside Thiago.

Thiago will not struggle because he's the barometer of how football should be played.

Thiago gets props for making simple passes. Liverpool’s success has come from bum rush football. This lad just pisses around too much, meaning it’s all in front of the opposition.

We kept passing to their midfield! It was either a successful through ball or played right at him.
Stats doesnt tell the story. He disappeared mid way through the second half and never came back.

We played it right at him because he kept putting himself in the way. Thats what good players do and he had a good game, as did our midfielders, without anybody being spectacular. The fact that both midfields nullified each other should show that.