Television The Walking Dead

An argument about the midseason finale of The Walking Dead led 26-year-old Jared Gurman of Long Island (pictured left) to shoot his girlfriend, 27-year-old Jessica Gelderman, after the two engaged in a heated squabble over the plausibility of a zombie apocalypse. According to a police spokesperson who actually had to relay this seriously to reporters, Gurman said he believed strongly that a "military mishap that would result in some sort of virus being released" could definitely occur, realistically leading to the reanimation of dead flesh, and eventually causing a worldwide zombie outbreak. Gelderman, meanwhile, deemed this theory "ridiculous." Having thus reached an impasse, the two parted ways but continued to fight via text message about zombies. Like adults.
Eventually things became so "angry and bitter," Gelderman decided she had better return to Gurman's apartment to calm him down, only to find him waiting outside for her with a .22-caliber rifle. As she attempted to walk up the stairs into his apartment, Gurman shot her in the back, piercing her lung, shattering her rib, and piercing her diaphragm. After realizing he'd just shot his girlfriend of three and a half years—who had not only endured a heated, hours-long argument about zombies, but had actually driven back to his apartment with the intent of calming him with continued physical intimacy—Gurman drove her to the hospital, where she remains in stable condition. He was subsequently arrested on charges of attempted murder, having learned the real lesson of The Walking Dead: Most of the time, it's better to just stand around arguing about stuff than go shooting things.

All this over a crappy zombie show where the zombies are about as dangerous as, oh wait.

The only way a person could legitimately die to these Zombies, is if they somehow trip, fall, break their leg and or knock themselves unconscious. I'm continually shocked by people who are unable to avoid these shambling, highly growly, zombies.

It's like "Oh shit, that zombie is rapidly closing on us at about .25 KPH"

Five minutes later "Oh my god that was a close call, it came out of no where!"

It's not like they move quickly. Or take any actions to defend themselves. Nor is it like they are stealthy with all the "Grrrr, arrrrrrg, raaaaaaarr, grrrrrrr"

Forget the short haired females name......anyways....I noticed they took the subtle route about whether or not she was a lesbian.

Why would anyone (the pervy convict apart) think she was a lesbian given that her husband and daughter have died in previous series?

All this over a crappy zombie show where the zombies are about as dangerous as, oh wait.

The only way a person could legitimately die to these Zombies, is if they somehow trip, fall, break their leg and or knock themselves unconscious. I'm continually shocked by people who are unable to avoid these shambling, highly growly, zombies.

It's not like they move quickly. Or take any actions to defend themselves. Nor is it like they are stealthy with all the "Grrrr, arrrrrrg, raaaaaaarr, grrrrrrr"

I don't want to go on a rant here, but you're missing the point, in my estimation, of what zombies represent. Zombies that run, or as I call them Zoombies, are just like any other monster that runs you down and kills you, not very interesting in my mind.

But with zombies it is nearly always the failures of the individual or group that bring about death, not the superior running/fighting ability of the zombie. A good zombie story is about the breakdown of the social contract, of small groups imploding upon themselves from stress. It's best when you have strong social issues involved that sew distrust and paranoia, be they racial, social or economic.

It's no coincidence that the Romero movies have strong racial and class elements, they invariably show how the flaws in these systems lead to the destruction of both parties, especially those who think they're in a position of superiority.

I don't want to go on a rant here, but you're missing the point, in my estimation, of what zombies represent. Zombies that run, or as I call them Zoombies, are just like any other monster that runs you down and kills you, not very interesting in my mind.

But with zombies it is nearly always the failures of the individual or group that bring about death, not the superior running/fighting ability of the zombie. A good zombie story is about the breakdown of the social contract, of small groups imploding upon themselves from stress. It's best when you have strong social issues involved that sew distrust and paranoia, be they racial, social or economic.

It's no coincidence that the Romero movies have strong racial and class elements, they invariably show how the flaws in these systems lead to the destruction of both parties, especially those who think they're in a position of superiority.

Good post.

walkingdeadweapon.jpg

Just the ticket!

Good post. It's actually something that's been done to a decent standard within this show. You had the whole breakdown in the friendship of Rick and Shane, with the mistrust and all, and then there was Merle's racial abuse of T-Dog in season 1 which largely got him stuck on that roof.

Plus, people say how easy it is here, but put yourself in a situation where you're constantly on the move, have to adjust to life without any pleasures, and have those creatures after you, you're not going to go around slaughtering them perfectly. Most people who say they'd deal with it well would probably crap themselves and die crying on a floor due to fear.

Except, the danger of the zombie is actually key in a zombie show. Otherwise you might as well just produce a survival show. The key aspect in the zombie genre beyond what you pointed out, is actually dangerous Zombies.

Zombies become the external actor which affects the stresses on the social contract you are talking about.

These zombies are incapable of preserving that suspension of disbelief. They are not dangerous. They are not scary. They are a nuisance more than anything and in this show, the break down of society is based on the hardship these zombies are supposed to present.

They offer no real hardship, therefore the social issues are contrived.

Ok, I was feeling a little sorry for the Governor after what happened with his daughter and all, but after the end of the episode, he needs his ass kicked.

I don't want the character to die because I think he's been a breath of fresh air to the show, and David Morrissey is fantastic in portraying him.

I wonder if Andrea will turn against him and help Daryl & Merle. Will Daryl and Merle fight? Will they join together and try to get out of there?

Now we have to wait until February :(

Complacency.

Spot the first person to get scoffed.

walkingdeadweapon.jpg

Just the ticket!

That shield will probably do more damage to you than a zombie, I nearly broke my wrist with one of those once.

That said, a shield is a excellent idea, I'm surprised they stopped using them after T-dawg died, though he was using it with an arrow for some bizarre reason. Shield an axe combo you could feck up all the zombies. Which reminds me, the 'anti bite' sleeves they 'invented' (then immediately stopped using) made me laugh, body armour has been around for thousands of years, chain mail or modern riot gear would have done just as well if not better. There must be loads of it lying around the prison, they should all get a set.

If you have Zombies with the speed like the ones in World War Z or the vampires in I am Legend, then no one will survive. Everyone would have been dead episode 1 of season 1. You have to do something to make it interesting.

Except, the danger of the zombie is actually key in a zombie show. Otherwise you might as well just produce a survival show. The key aspect in the zombie genre beyond what you pointed out, is actually dangerous Zombies.

Zombies become the external actor which affects the stresses on the social contract you are talking about.

These zombies are incapable of preserving that suspension of disbelief. They are not dangerous. They are not scary. They are a nuisance more than anything and in this show, the break down of society is based on the hardship these zombies are supposed to present.

They offer no real hardship, therefore the social issues are contrived.

Well the creator of both the comics and the show (he has a big say in the making of it) has stated many times that the walking dead is about how people deal with this situation where society has gone, not how people deal with zombies. They are just an excuse for the situation to come about.

I swear a black man has to die/disappear before another can join the cast... First the black man and his son, they disappear and T-Dawg joins, he dies for that new convict guy to join and now he makes way for the new black guy leading this new group...

Damn I just realized again how shit I am at recognizing faces of less known actors when I see them in another movie.

Only just realized that Daryl (Norman Reedus) also played Murphy in The Boondock Saints.

How the feck did I not realize this for so long?

Some good news and possible so,e bad news

The Walking Dead Officially Renewed for Fourth Season
Source: AMC December 21, 2012

We've just recieved this joint statement from AMC and The Walking Dead Showrunner Glen Mazzara:

Today, AMC announces the season 4 pick-up of The Walking Dead.

AMC also jointly announces with Glen Mazzara today that for future seasons, the two parties have mutually decided to part ways. Glen guided the series creatively for seasons 2 and 3. AMC is grateful for his hard work. We are both proud of our shared success.

Both parties acknowledge that there is a difference of opinion about where the show should go moving forward, and conclude that it is best to part ways. This decision is amicable and Glen will remain on for post-production on season 3B as showrunner and executive producer.

Mazzara is credited with writing six episodes of The Walking Dead and has served as the series showrunner since the departure of Frank Darabont.

The Walking Dead is currently on hiatus, but the second half of Season 3 premieres on Sunday, February 10th.

Hopefully the reason for him leaving is that he wanted the 4th season to be more like the 2nd season.

Ok guys, I am not really into Zombie Vampire stuff so would I like the show? What makes this show so good?