Television The Walking Dead

I want to see a zombie apocalypse set in the middle ages. Why hasn't anyone made that yet? We need HBO on this.

That would be epic!

Because it wouldn't last one bit. 1/4 of the population is already bed ridden and sick and would become zombie fodder in no time. You couldn't fight off a horde because you have no guns. There wouldn't be any broadcasting so you'd know what was going on. It would happen without notice in every town pretty much and there would be nothing people could do.

Show like that would be set in a town with a big ass moat and there would be little to no food there and would be similar to the farm but more boring because people back then did absolutely nothing.
Horses? Little urban population would mean the disease would spread a lot slower. So a town several miles away gets infected, there is no direct route through harsh jungle and marshland. And If you watch Game of Thrones you'll know they had carrier pigeons.

Also towns and villages had walls, and where protected like that, and people had Bow and Arrow.

Too bad for the show because the kid can't act.

You can't think that the show will be the same as the comics. There are always changes. Especially with characters.

I can't comment.

Because it wouldn't last one bit. 1/4 of the population is already bed ridden and sick and would become zombie fodder in no time. You couldn't fight off a horde because you have no guns. There wouldn't be any broadcasting so you'd know what was going on. It would happen without notice in every town pretty much and there would be nothing people could do.

Show like that would be set in a town with a big ass moat and there would be little to no food there and would be similar to the farm but more boring because people back then did absolutely nothing.

This is pretty insulting to our ancestors, we're talking medieval so, after the fall off Rome and before the Renaissance.

Their lives are no less boring than our own, get up, go to work, in the few hours off have some fun, sleep repeat.

The lack of guns, honestly, isn't that big a deal. The only advantage a gun gives you is range, a decent bow or crossbow would give you similar effective range to a pistol, providing rudimentary training (perhaps a swinging log tied to a tree, that's the greatest method, I hear).

Guns are loud, you kill the zombie (hopefully) but you attract many more, which is why they've been using knives in the show a lot more.

In medieval times, you could easily get your hands on the following: chainmaile, maybe some plate, banded or boiled leather amour, full body protection. This is easily better for you than the cowboy hat and a dirty t-shirt they use in this show, they should at least have stolen some kelvar vests by now. Bites and scratches can feck off in the medieval get up.

Weaponry wise, Give me a German Zweihander or your average european or viking long sword over a knife any day. The Zweihander is meant to be blunt, so repeated use shouldn't hinder you, it would be devasting on zombies in a close quarter situation with an effective range of about 2metres, should you need some range.

I think your average medieval guy would fair much better than you average person today.

Only advantage a gun gives you is the range? Not at all. The main advantage is the firing rate. Bowmen can shoot very far but of course it won't do them any good if they don't hit the head. Hitting the torso probably even won't slow them down at all.

Full armor is not good. Lessens your mobility.

Long sword is heavy and you get tired wielding it. Surround by 10 feckers and you're a goner.

The average medieval guy wasn't used to fighting with weapons at all. If he wasn't in an army he wasn't trained. Guns are much easier to use than any other weapon if you're not used to them.

And of course their lives were boring. Entertainment was the same story over and over again. There was feck all to do but work. And if you screwed your wife you got another mouth to feed a bit later on.

That would be epic!

Horses? Little urban population would mean the disease would spread a lot slower. So a town several miles away gets infected, there is no direct route through harsh jungle and marshland. And If you watch Game of Thrones you'll know they had carrier pigeons.

Also towns and villages had walls, and where protected like that, and people had Bow and Arrow.

Spread slower? Tell that to black death.

GoT:
If you watch GoT you might know that they don't believe in the others (which are zombies but better in many ways) so help wouldn't come

Spread slower? Tell that to black death.

GoT:
If you watch GoT you might know that they don't believe in the others (which are zombies but better in many ways) so help wouldn't come

Aye by the black death was carried by vermin, zombie infection is carried by zombies. They all had swords and axes, I'm sure they are all much more capable of felling a zombie before he bites than todays fools

You're right Snow, setting a zombie apocalypse series to the middle ages would clearly be too unrealistic.

Only advantage a gun gives you is the range? Not at all. The main advantage is the firing rate. Bowmen can shoot very far but of course it won't do them any good if they don't hit the head. Hitting the torso probably even won't slow them down at all.

Long sword is heavy and you get tired wielding it. Surround by 10 feckers and you're a goner.

The average medieval guy wasn't used to fighting with weapons at all. If he wasn't in an army he wasn't trained. Guns are much easier to use than any other weapon if you're not used to them.

And of course their lives were boring. Entertainment was the same story over and over again. There was feck all to do but work. And if you screwed your wife you got another mouth to feed a bit later on.

The gun you, have a point.

Full plate armour, isn't that heavy, it's more the restrictiveness that's an issue, chainmail would make you immune to bites and scratches for large sections of out body and it's not that heavy (about a stone or so) after a while you barely even notice it.

Swords aren't as heavy as you might think either, about the weight of an assault rifle.

Surrounded by ten zombies I'd fancy my chances more with a sword, than a gun. If you miss the head with the gun your toast, with a sword, you'll probably still cause disabling or debilitative damage.

Sword is heavy enough to be swinging it around when using it. If you aren't used to swords you will get tired very quickly. Also, what if it gets stuck in a zombie? What if you got two coming at you at once? You don't do a stab with a sword. You're asking for trouble if you do that.

Aye by the black death was carried by vermin, zombie infection is carried by zombies. They all had swords and axes, I'm sure they are all much more capable of felling a zombie before he bites than todays fools

What history are you reading? They all had swords and axes? You even brought up Game of Thrones. If you watch that than you'll notice, like I said before, that the only people that have weapons are real soldiers. Peasants have DIY weapons. Clubs with spikes in them and hey forks.

What history are you reading? They all had swords and axes? You even brought up Game of Thrones. If you watch that than you'll notice, like I said before, that the only people that have weapons are real soldiers. Peasants have DIY weapons. Clubs with spikes in them and hey forks.

And axes?

How would it spread?

It took 2/3 years for the Black Death, carried by rats, to spread from the Mediterranean through Central Europe up into Scandinavia.

Zombies are even slower than rats. The show would never get going.

And axes?

Not many no. Good steel was hard to come by. You have to have money to have steel.

But if you want to be hypothetical about it than you might as well create medieval universe where there were weapons o'plenty. I'm just not sure what the premise of the show would be at all. I'm putting on my nitpicking nerd glasses here but isn't a zombie apocalypse usually a man made phenomena?

It might work for a movie mind you but the fans of this genre are usually somewhat specific about stuff. There are tons of websites dedicated to this where people argue if the things in 28 days laters are actually zombies or not. You got to get that crowd on board if you wanna make something unless you're going the Twilight route.

How would it spread?

It took 2/3 years for the Black Death, carried by rats, to spread from the Mediterranean through Central Europe up into Scandinavia.

Bloody zombies are even slower than rats. The show would never get going.

Some kind of virus that was born inside a volcano and then the volcano erupts and the virus travels with the ash all over mainland Europe.

Or you take the 28 Days Laters zombies and make them the medieval zombies.

I don't know, I don't think it could work.

Not many no. Good steel was hard to come by. You have to have money to have steel.

But if you want to be hypothetical about it than you might as well create medieval universe where there were weapons o'plenty. I'm just not sure what the premise of the show would be at all. I'm putting on my nitpicking nerd glasses here but isn't a zombie apocalypse usually a man made phenomena?

It might work for a movie mind you but the fans of this genre are usually somewhat specific about stuff. There are tons of websites dedicated to this where people argue if the things in 28 days laters are actually zombies or not. You got to get that crowd on board if you wanna make something unless you're going the Twilight route.

Depends, modern Zombies movies, yes, nearly always man made.

The early movies ones, not so much, one day 'ZOMBIES' even the long dead get up.

The 28 days later weren't dead, so not technically zombies in a traditional sesne, but it's a mythical creature/ phenomenon so they are are, if the writer says they are.

It would probably have to be religious, to be fair. The dead rising, that sort of thing. Good old zombies. Or at least they would think it was religious, could be portrayed as a virus that evolved on its own (for us viewers).

Maybe it wouldn't work, but.. I want zombies in the middle ages, damn it. Maybe it could start in Norway, and the Vikings bring it to everywhere.

It would probably have to be religious, to be fair. The dead rising, that sort of thing. Good old zombies. Or at least they would think it was religious, could be portrayed as a virus that evolved on its own (for us viewers).

Maybe it wouldn't work, but.. I want zombies in the middle ages, damn it. Maybe it could start in Norway, and the Vikings bring it to everywhere.

You could do it with Vikings and just make up a mythological aspect for them being there. But the problem with that would be infection. In the old movies usually when you were caught by zombies you were dead.

Holy shit. I just had a realization. There are loads of zombies in Icelandic folk lore. I just never connected the names because they don't share the same pattern as zombies today and the names are very different. They often spoke in few words, not in sentences. They are children stories here ffs so that's why I never connected the dots. Pretty much always ended with the zombie taking someone with them back to the grave never to be seen again.
Those zombies were also way too tough to be taken on in the masses. There also wasn't the infection bit in those stories.

Here, I found some good reading about it on wiki.
Draugr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think medieval people would be better prepared for a crisis like zombies than we are in some ways. They already had to stockpile food to survive through the winter and there were keeps or castles that could be solid defensively against the undead hordes. The peasants in the countryside would all die most likely though. Modern people don't have to worry about the food because of grocery stores and supermarkets, plus we're much more mobile. If you lived in a castle it would be fairly safe as long as you had food. The zombies should eventually re-die from starvation or whatnot.

Also, with much smaller populations spread out, transmission would be lower and armored soldiers could kill them if necessary.

It just the castles then and hopefully they wouldn't get disease as well. But they could never survive it. What will happen after 2 years inside the castle walls? The zombies would simply keep piling up. At least if they were like Resident Evil zombies. If those zombies knew of any living humans they'd stand outside there forever.

Population was lower however which means less zombies overall.

In a modern zombie event wouldn't the problem disappear since zombies don't reproduce all you need to do is slaughter them as often as possible with all of the guns available especially in the US and eventually the problem would be gone forever.

Easy. The year is 3000 and the zombie infection has been created by man, and has set about through Earth and its colonies leading to near total destruction of many a planet. To escape it and give humanity some hope, a small group of people go back in time (using a space ship) with information of earths technology and history to stop the mistakes of the past and create a new earth utopia. Unfortunately the zombie infection hits a crew member and the ship crashes (or something) releasing the zombie plague on the middle ages.

I wonder about zombies and their existence (according to what I've seen so far in the Walking Dead).

Apparently, they live off of consuming human flesh. Can they die of starvation? They're clearly not interested in eating each other. They're seemingly unable to run, but they can walk relatively fast, in their own, zombie like fashion. They can also see, hear and smell. They can be wounded and maimed, but the only way to kill them is to destroy their brain(?)

They can't perform even the simple tasks, like shooting a gun or driving a car. They don't seem to be able to even throw a stone. I guess their limited skill level is the consequence of only small part of their brain still being active and allowing them to continue that sort of existence.

They often hang out in groups, although whether it's instinctive or accidental, is unclear.

You could do it with Vikings and just make up a mythological aspect for them being there. But the problem with that would be infection. In the old movies usually when you were caught by zombies you were dead.

Holy shit. I just had a realization. There are loads of zombies in Icelandic folk lore. I just never connected the names because they don't share the same pattern as zombies today and the names are very different. They often spoke in few words, not in sentences. They are children stories here ffs so that's why I never connected the dots. Pretty much always ended with the zombie taking someone with them back to the grave never to be seen again.
Those zombies were also way too tough to be taken on in the masses. There also wasn't the infection bit in those stories.

Here, I found some good reading about it on wiki.
Draugr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, we have those too.

I wonder about zombies and their existence (according to what I've seen so far in the Walking Dead).

Apparently, they live off of consuming human flesh. Can they die of starvation? They're clearly not interested in eating each other. They're seemingly unable to run, but they can walk relatively fast, in their own, zombie like fashion. They can also see, hear and smell. They can be wounded and maimed, but the only way to kill them is to destroy their brain(?)

They can't perform even the simple tasks, like shooting a gun or driving a car. They don't seem to be able to even throw a stone. I guess their limited skill level is the consequence of only small part of their brain still being active and allowing them to continue that sort of existence.

They often hang out in groups, although whether it's instinctive or accidental, is unclear.

What about that guy who had hung himself? His legs had been eaten clean off. I guess they could say that that happened after he was dead but before he turned zombie, but didn't they turn zombie pretty much minutes after death if they were infected?

having read the last few pages, all i can say is that those of you complaining about it clearly aren't fans of the zombie culture. Pick yourself up some novels, rent some zombie movies, then you'll see that actually the show is not that bad.

i suggest you start with:

"The Walking Dead" comics
"The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks
"World War Z" by Max Brooks (currently being made into a film with Brad Pitt)
"Day by Day Armageddon" by JJ Bourne
"Plague of the Dead" by ZA Recht

In a modern zombie event wouldn't the problem disappear since zombies don't reproduce all you need to do is slaughter them as often as possible with all of the guns available especially in the US and eventually the problem would be gone forever.

Yes, essentially. Unless it's the traditional case of zombies rising up from the dead, always, a zombie apocalypse wouldn't really be a big deal. Well, it would be a big deal, but it wouldn't be a world-ending deal. Even actual viruses don't seem to be able to do that much damage and infect that many people, and they spread through humans who you don't know are infected. Zombies are 1) slow and 2) obvious.

There was a good cracked.com article on it, I remember..

i suggest you start with:

"The Walking Dead" comics
"The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks

I've that book, and it is very compelling. My girlfriend reads the comics, but I'd rather not be spoiled in the series.

The series just ticks no boxes; it doesn't have a compelling love story, although I imagine the comic books do. It doesn't focus on the efforts of survival, as the safest place they have found is a farm which is safe in that it just doesn't get attacked. It's not entertaining or funny, in that none of the characters have moments of enjoyment, none of them take any satisfaction from anything that's occurred on screen. The best episodes and moments this season have probably been the dark gritty ones, which the show doesn't do that badly, but there is nothing to counter them. You can have a dark gritty film for 2-3 hours without problem, but when you are trying to make a 15 hour series it becomes a lot harder. Other dark series, allow the events to occur in the background whilst focusing on either the light side of events or the romantic interest. It just doesn't work very well in my opinion.

It is just that though, an opinion.

Everyone seems to be getting worked up by the fact that its set on a farm

I don't want to spoil it for everyone, other than to say don't get too hung up on the fact that they are currently holed up in a farm

thats all im saying. If you dont like it, dont watch it

If I have a zombie coming towards me, I'd rather look like this;

armoured-medieval-knight-brandishing-war-axe-thumb19015596.jpg

than this;

Army_Combat_Uniform.jpg

Never have to reload, just swing swing swing hide yo kids hide yo wife because they be cutting everybody up in here.

Nothings scratching or biting me through that.

Then again, we can just combine back then with now and come up with this.

Majikthise : Bear-suit inventor makes bullet-proof body armor exoskeleton

halosuit.jpg

With that much armor, the slowest pack of zombies will have no trouble taking you down, and once you're down, you'll never get up.

Au contraire, they walk slower than my nan fecks.

I'd be able to out crawl them. I wouldn't even run away, they come in groups of what, 10? I could just hack some down with my axe, punch a few in the face with my metal fists so they stagger back, kill a few more, sorted.

If I go down, good luck biting through plate metal. I'd be fine, they'd either get bored and walk off, or I'd fix a metal spike to my helmet just in case, and if I go down I'll start nutting the zombie in front of me until I can get free.

With that much armor, the slowest pack of zombies will have no trouble taking you down, and once you're down, you'll never get up.

Have to agree. I thin that type of armour was a misconception anyway. Wasn't it those coming from richer backgrounds who bought it or had it made, but it was mostly left on the sidelines during the actual war. Chain mail is probably a great deal better, although useless against zombies if there is the slightest bit exposed.

Have to agree. I thin that type of armour was a misconception anyway. Wasn't it those coming from richer backgrounds who bought it or had it made, but it was mostly left on the sidelines during the actual war. Chain mail is probably a great deal better, although useless against zombies if there is the slightest bit exposed.

Quite a few of them also had horses.

Riding a horse with that much metal on your body would make it easier not only to carry the whole thing but will also make the knight a much mobile enemy. Now, if a knight on a horse, in full armor and with a swinging sword would face a pack of the undead, I'd say he'd have a good chance of hacking them to pieces without serious trouble.

What about that guy who had hung himself? His legs had been eaten clean off. I guess they could say that that happened after he was dead but before he turned zombie, but didn't they turn zombie pretty much minutes after death if they were infected?

I'm guessing he didn't die from hanging himself, fecked it up somehow or was unlucky with timing. Before he was proper dead they started eating his legs but couldn't get any more and something else must have drawn their attention. This guy is left there and slowly turns into a zombie.

They aren't that consistent how people turn into zombies. Wasn't there one who took days to turn because he didn't die right away? I thought you had to die to turn.

Au contraire, they walk slower than my nan fecks.

I'd be able to out crawl them. I wouldn't even run away, they come in groups of what, 10? I could just hack some down with my axe, punch a few in the face with my metal fists so they stagger back, kill a few more, sorted.

If I go down, good luck biting through plate metal. I'd be fine, they'd either get bored and walk off, or I'd fix a metal spike to my helmet just in case, and if I go down I'll start nutting the zombie in front of me until I can get free.

They're only slow in little numbers. When in groups they get agitated and start going faster. Like somehow if they don't get there quick enough they don't get to eat.