The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Pfizer say 3 weeks. That's what they are doing in the US and other countries.

UK Govt is doing 8-12 weeks because they wanted to maximise first doses, and have cited some fairly flimsy evidence that longer gap = better immune response. One dose doesn't do much against the Delta variant though, so many people trying to get it earlier.
Yes, I think the change in dose interval is more related to vaccine availability. Italy had a 3-week interval at first, but by the time I was vaccinated it was 5 weeks. They've prioritised getting people fully-vaccinated here, which is now an advantage in light of the Delta variant. 56% of the population have had one dose, 37.3% are fully-vaccinated and over 90% of vaccines available have been administered.

You are given your second appointment when you turn up for your first, so it's pretty standard.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Double jabbed yesterday, 8 weeks to the day of my first one. This has hit me a bit harder. Body is aching a bit, pain at injection site and overwhelming tiredness and some on and off headaches, whereas I had hardly anything with the first. It’s still manageable and it hasn’t stopped me doing my chores around the house today so I’m not complaining but my experience of jab two is that it’s definitely worse than the first symptom wise.

Makes sense I guess - my body has probably got its bouncers in place and is being more aggressive to kicking the “virus” ass out of the club.
Pretty much this. Had my second Pfizer yesterday 8 weeks to the day. Energy levels really low today and the standard throbbing arm. No headaches though thankfully.

0le

Thanks for the clarification. However, I am a bit concerned about what impact this has to the effectiveness of the vaccine, given that the manufacturers recommend 3-4 weeks but I will get my second does after 8 weeks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Thanks for the clarification. However, I am a bit concerned about what impact this has to the effectiveness of the vaccine, given that the manufacturers recommend 3-4 weeks but I will get my second does after 8 weeks.
A bigger gap always seems to give better protection if you can avoid getting infected before you get your second shot.

If you have a good chance of being infected a shorter gap makes sense.

Last edited:

Actually, you’re right. I got that wrong. Here’s all the info.
It's Moderna that is 28 days, or 4 weeks.

The long and short of it is that nobody really knows because that's not how the trials were run. It's not going to make all that much difference though, we know that much by now.

Traub

I'm assuming you're in the younger age range given you're still waiting for your second shot. In your case, I wouldn't be too concerned about having it at its 'peak' performance (no-one really knows what this is by the way). You'll be plenty protected and at very low risk once you've had your second shot.

Classical Mechanic

As far as I understand the effectiveness of the vaccine will be greater with spaced doses. The issue is that with a single jab, when it comes to the Delta variant, with only 1 shot you will not have a high level of protection against symptomatic illness. You will have a high level of protection against hospitalisation and death with the 1 shot, however.

I got my second dose of Moderna today and the leaflet they gave me said they were giving the second does in 2-4 week spacings, as opposed to the 3 months when I got the leaflet with my first jab. It could have been a mistake because it was handwritten on the leaflet. Have you had your first jab and the leaflet?

RoyH1

Got my second shot of Moderna 7 hours ago. So happy! Other than mild tiredness and a bit of soreness on my arm, I'm doing well so far. Been told to expect a rough first night by other 'Modernistas' though

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
She replied “why is it affecting women’s cycles then?”
Tell her to read this.

tl;dr. When you get a vaccine it temporarily fires up your immune system. Which is what a vaccine is supposed to do. Having a temporarily activated immune system is why so many people get side effects for a day or two after being vaccinated. These are similar to what catching the virus might cause but MUCH milder and shorter lasting. One of the possible consequences is abnormal menstrual bleeding. This is NOT a long term problem. As we can see from all the trial subjects who had no problem conceiving shortly after being vaccinated.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Tell her to read this.

tl;dr. When you get a vaccine it temporarily fires up your immune system. Which is what a vaccine is supposed to do. Having a temporarily activated immune system is why so many people get side effects for a day or two after being vaccinated. These are similar to what catching the virus might cause but MUCH milder and shorter lasting. One of the possible consequences is abnormal menstrual bleeding. This is NOT a long term problem. As we can see from all the trial subjects who had no problem conceiving shortly after being vaccinated.
Cheers. Fed this back as well!

0le

As far as I understand the effectiveness of the vaccine will be greater with spaced doses. The issue is that with a single jab, when it comes to the Delta variant, with only 1 shot you will not have a high level of protection against symptomatic illness. You will have a high level of protection against hospitalisation and death with the 1 shot, however.

I got my second dose of Moderna today and the leaflet they gave me said they were giving the second does in 2-4 week spacings, as opposed to the 3 months when I got the leaflet with my first jab. It could have been a mistake because it was handwritten on the leaflet. Have you had your first jab and the leaflet?
I had Pfzer several weeks ago. My second jab is in August. I can't remember what I have done with the leaflet or the card that they wrote my vaccine date on, although it is definitely somewhere in my house.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Welcome to the Republican Party. The pro-life party, unless it comes to preventing deaths from disease.

Classical Mechanic

Got my second shot of Moderna 7 hours ago. So happy! Other than mild tiredness and a bit of soreness on my arm, I'm doing well so far. Been told to expect a rough first night by other 'Modernistas' though
Just had that night. Jesus it was bad. I was OK until about 7.00pm after having the jab in the morning when all my body started going tender like the injection site. Woke up at about midnight shivering even though my room is like 25 degrees and I have a fleece quilt. Drifted in and out of sleep aching and shivering all night. Ive never had the flu and don’t get ill often so I’ve not really experienced that before. It’s going to be a long day at work. I feel like crap.

I had Pfzer several weeks ago. My second jab is in August. I can't remember what I have done with the leaflet or the card that they wrote my vaccine date on, although it is definitely somewhere in my house.
Have you tried to bring the appointment forward on the NHS site?

RoyH1

Just had that night. Jesus it was bad. I was OK until about 7.00pm after having the jab in the morning when all my body started going tender like the injection site. Woke up at about midnight shivering even though my room is like 25 degrees and I have a fleece quilt. Drifted in and out of sleep aching and shivering all night. Ive never had the flu and don’t get ill often so I’ve not really experienced that before. It’s going to be a long day at work.
It’s been exactly as you describe it. Fever, shivers, tenderness throughout the body and vivid dreams. Luckily for me, I’m on holiday so I can just rest at home. I hope that I don’t have another night like this one

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Waited a long while to update my vote but just got the first shot of Moderna today. I was under the impression these had to be stored under -75 or something, so I went in expecting the healthcare worker pull out a syringe from a cryo freezer but they were casually laid out in line on the table in room temperature.

Santos J

Waited a long while to update my vote but just got the first shot of Moderna today. I was under the impression these had to be stored under -75 or something, so I went in expecting the healthcare worker pull out a syringe from a cryo freezer but they were casually laid out in line on the table in room temperature.
Stable at standard fridge temp for up to 30 days apparently, room temp for 12 hours

mitChley

Had my 2nd Pfizer about 20 hours ago, no side effects so far other than a sore arm, which actually feels less sore than last time. Dare I dream I've managed to avoid any 'proper' ones?

Just had that night. Jesus it was bad. I was OK until about 7.00pm after having the jab in the morning when all my body started going tender like the injection site. Woke up at about midnight shivering even though my room is like 25 degrees and I have a fleece quilt. Drifted in and out of sleep aching and shivering all night. Ive never had the flu and don’t get ill often so I’ve not really experienced that before. It’s going to be a long day at work. I feel like crap.
How long until it subsided? I had the second dose this morning and hoping to play football tomorrow night. Nothing but the usual sore arm so far but it's only been a few hours.

Pogue Mahone

How long until it subsided? I had the second dose this morning and hoping to play football tomorrow night. Nothing but the usual sore arm so far but it's only been a few hours.
Individual responses vary. I had Pfizer and the second dose caused much less side effects than the first. I got my jab in the morning and was bouldering the evening of that same day. If your experience is like mine you’ll have no problems playing football (although maybe avoid shoulder to shoulder challenges, they will definitely smart!)

Individual responses vary. I had Pfizer and the second dose caused much less side effects than the first. I got my jab in the morning and was bouldering the evening of that same day. If your experience is like mine you’ll have no problems playing football (although maybe avoid shoulder to shoulder challenges, they will definitely smart!)
Luckily Italians usually fall over before you actually touch them :)

Classical Mechanic

Still going on about 32 hours on from the jab. Took a half day at work because I felt so bad. Got home and just fell straight to sleep for a few hours. Really didn’t want to sleep that much this afternoon but I just couldn’t keep my eyes open. The worst of the symptoms are over now but I still feel totally run down.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I was just talking to our neighbour and her grandson, he's 14. I was very surprised to hear that he's had his first dose of Pfizer - I didn't know they were vaccinating young teens here. It actually makes sense because of the way so many Italians live, in the multi-generational households.

mitChley

Had my 2nd Pfizer about 20 hours ago, no side effects so far other than a sore arm, which actually feels less sore than last time. Dare I dream I've managed to avoid any 'proper' ones?
Narrator: He had not

Fun little headache forming which paracetamol isn't putting much of a dent in (and I can't take ibuprofen as I'm allergic, joy).

Well that was a fun night. Started to feel tired around 10pm and then all hell broke loose. Woke up at midnight shivering uncontrollably, then again at 2am drenched in sweat. Shivering at 4am. Sweating at 6am. All while developing a killer headache. By about 8am everything but the headache had gone (and paracetamol has taken care of that for now).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Israel really going all in on the vaccines then. Had no idea 3rd doses were even on the cards at this point…

The high-level online meeting, which lasted an hour and involved Pfizer’s chief scientific officer briefing virtually every top doctor in the federal government, came on the same day Israel started administering third doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to heart transplant patients and others with compromised immune systems. Officials said after the meeting that more data — and possibly several more months — would be needed before regulators could determine whether booster shots were necessary.

Last week, Pfizer and BioNTech said a booster given six months after the second dose of the vaccine increased the potency of antibodies against the original virus and the Beta variant by five- to tenfold. But antibody levels may not be the best biological measurement of the need for booster doses, according to experts, who say it is no surprise that antibodies would increase after taking a third dose.

“Antibody response is not the only measure of immune protection,” said Dr. Leana S. Wen, a former health commissioner for Baltimore. “There have been multiple studies that suggest these vaccines also stimulate B cell and T cell immunity, so even if there isn’t as much antibody, that doesn’t mean someone isn’t protected.”

In Israel, the government agreed to provide Pfizer with data on its vaccine recipients, and Pfizer has been matching the Israeli data with its own laboratory tests on antibody responses. Some people familiar with the data say that taken together, the two data sets indicate that immunity is waning among the vaccinated after roughly six to eight months, leading to a growing number of breakthrough infections.

Maxii

Paad
Got the Pfizer yesterday. Woke up feeling a bit groggy this morning but by lunch time I was fine and went for a run with no ill effects. Sore arm is pretty much gone already too

Pogue Mahone

Israel really going all in on the vaccines then. Had no idea 3rd doses were even on the cards at this point…
Cases doubling every days in almost fully vaccinated population. Can’t really blame them going all in on the vaccines to try and nip this in the bud. Certainly makes more sense than the UK approach!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cases doubling every days in almost fully vaccinated population. Can’t really blame them going all in on the vaccines to try and nip this in the bud. Certainly makes more sense than the UK approach!
Do you still think it’s only going to be the over 50s that are offered a booster in the UK?

Pogue Mahone

Do you still think it’s only going to be the over 50s that are offered a booster in the UK?
This year? Definitely. Be doing extremely well to get all the over 50s done tbh. I was really hoping that wouldn’t be necessary. Unbelievably costly and disruptive to keep those vaccination centres going full steam ahead all year.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This year? Definitely. Be doing extremely well to get all the over 50s done tbh. I was really hoping that wouldn’t be necessary. Unbelievably costly and disruptive to keep those vaccination centres going full steam ahead all year.
Not complete it this year. We debated it a while back, there was an article saying the UK give over 50s booster jabs when second doses are complete and I predicted that would be expanded down the age groups to anyone who wants one. I still expect that to be the case.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
pss, too slow.

Here in Chile, the directory president of a private Clinic, forced the personnel to inject him with a 3rd dose.

Because all the doses belong to the Chilean state, the guy might face criminal charges.