The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The speed of the rollout & the reports of heart issues following taking it.
Really? That makes no sense.

The speed of vaccine development has in no way compromised safety. We have covered this numerous times and if you continue to ignore this then that is a deliberate act of ignorance on your part.

As for heart inflammation in the US. That is hugely overblown by the usual anti-vax brigade. It's not a huge concern because a) there are very few cases (1000 or less with over 330 million shots given), b) more than 80% were incredibly mild and fully recovered already and the other 20% will mostly be fine as serious inflammation is incredibly rare, c) some cases occur naturally so even those few reported won't all have been caused by the vaccine, and finally and most importantly, d) covid itself is far far more harmful, including lots of incidents of heart inflammation.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I got invited to have my 2nd vaccine on Saturday 17th. For my first vaccine the place was absolutely rammed on the Saturday I went so I tried to reschedule this one for another day in the week. The only other day it's allowing me to book is Saturday 24th. Not sure what the feck is going on considering this place is open every day.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really? That makes no sense.

The speed of vaccine development has in no way compromised safety. We have covered this numerous times and if you continue to ignore this then that is a deliberate act of ignorance on your part.

As for heart inflammation in the US. That is hugely overblown by the usual anti-vax brigade. It's not a huge concern because a) there are very few cases (1000 or less with over 330 million shots given), b) more than 80% were incredibly mild and fully recovered already and the other 20% will mostly be fine as serious inflammation is incredibly rare, c) some cases occur naturally so even those few reported won't all have been caused by the vaccine, and finally and most importantly, d) covid itself is far far more harmful, including lots of incidents of heart inflammation.
Probably, but you can see why I'm concerned. I got heart disease in my family. Some BBC presenter died after taking the Oxford vaccine. I'll probably take it eventually, just gonna wait.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Probably, but you can see why I'm concerned. I got heart disease in my family. Some BBC presenter died after taking the Oxford vaccine. I'll probably take it eventually, just gonna wait.
It's obviously up to you, but it seems unlikely instances of side effects will radically decline in the coming iterations of the vaccine drugs, given the existing approved drugs all meet the regulatory requirements.

Heart disease is the biggest annual cause of death in the UK and has been for years, so virtually everyone has a history of it in their families to varying degrees.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...uk/2001to2018#uk-leading-causes-of-death-data

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Then I'd be a thousand times more concerned about contracting covid than the vaccine...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Then I'd be a thousand times more concerned about contracting covid than the vaccine...
Yeah but he has a better chance of avoiding catching covid if everyone else takes the vaccine for him.

Now the UK is fully opening it seems the plan is for everybody to be exposed to Covid one way or another to build immunity, through vaccination or the virus itself. If you don't get vaccinated, assume you will catch the virus, and when you do the chances of heart problems are far higher than they are with the vaccine.

stu_1992

Now fully vaccinated. Such a relief to be honest, both in terms of being safe but also just having all of the vaccine stuff out of the way. I'm no fan of needles so a certain level of tension comes from that, but then also just dealing with whole thing in a second language. Anyway glad to have it out of the way and just in time for a vaccation in a couple of weeks.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I got invited to have my 2nd vaccine on Saturday 17th. For my first vaccine the place was absolutely rammed on the Saturday I went so I tried to reschedule this one for another day in the week. The only other day it's allowing me to book is Saturday 24th. Not sure what the feck is going on considering this place is open every day.
:lol:

Don't know why this monologue made me laugh out loud. Probably because I was thinking of it in a Spike Milligan skit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Now the UK is fully opening it seems the plan is for everybody to be exposed to Covid one way or another to build immunity, through vaccination or the virus itself. If you don't get vaccinated, assume you will catch the virus, and when you do the chances of heart problems are far higher than they are with the vaccine.
*crickets*

ArjenIsM3

Got my first shot today. Moderna. Been 9 hours and so far only a slightly sore arm and that's it. Not tired or anything. Wonder how I'll feel when I wake up tomorrow. My wife got Pfizer a few weeks ago and she was extremely tired a few hours later and had a very sore arm for a few days.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not unless a doctor has told you not to take it. Less than 1 in 300k chance of mild symptoms is a lower risk than taking a paracetamol for injection point pain.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Got my first shot today. Moderna. Been 9 hours and so far only a slightly sore arm and that's it. Not tired or anything. Wonder how I'll feel when I wake up tomorrow. My wife got Pfizer a few weeks ago and she was extremely tired a few hours later and had a very sore arm for a few days.
Still alive? :D

Traub

Yes sir! Still feel fine. My arm is still a bit sore but that's it. Maybe they gave me a placebo :lol:
:lol: Don't stress mate, you'll probably feel absolute shite after the second dose!

Either way, your immune system is working even if you don't get an immediate reaction.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Sorry, copied from the Coronavirus thread - forgot there was one specific to the vaccines.

My daughter, who is 22, won’t get the vaccine as she’s worried about it affecting fertility. She says that there won’t have been enough testing or evidence to know that it doesn’t. She also thinks that at her age the risk of having the vaccine (including the risk above but other risks as well) probably outweighs the benefits, but that the government will push the vaccine on people her age for herd immunity reasons.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sorry, copied from the Coronavirus thread - forgot there was one specific to the vaccines.

My daughter, who is 22, won’t get the vaccine as she’s worried about it affecting fertility. She says that there won’t have been enough testing or evidence to know that it doesn’t. She also thinks that at her age the risk of having the vaccine (including the risk above but other risks as well) probably outweighs the benefits, but that the government will push the vaccine on people her age for herd immunity reasons.
Fertility worries are conspiracy theory bullshit.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Fertility worries are conspiracy theory bullshit.
I’ve said that. But she doesn’t want to take the risk that they’re not. And she views any guidance that it definitely won’t affect fertility as government sponsored propaganda, citing the early declaration that wearing masks had no benefits. She also cites thalidomide

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This sounds a huge punt. So many people have had the vaccine around her age. The know risk is directly harming others and yourself. The unknown tail risk is a side effect of the vaccine. I don't think it's well calculated personally - there is a risk with everything. Contraceptive pills are known to increase risk of cancer for example but it won't stop young people having intercourse without a condom. That's just one example, there are others I'm sure where people will just accept the risk because of a known benefit.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’ve said that. But she doesn’t want to take the risk that they’re not. And she views any guidance that it definitely won’t affect fertility as government sponsored propaganda, citing the early declaration that wearing masks had no benefits. She also cites thalidomide
Thalidomide is a drug.vaccines are not drugs. And BoJo getting mask advice wrong, ike almost everything else is also irrelevant.

Not only has there never been a vaccine that harmed fertility, as far as I am aware, but they also have a record of protecting pregnancies as miscarriages can occur due to mother's not being immunised.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Ask her how she knows covid won't affect her fertility.

Of course the psychology is that if she gets covid it's not her choice, and vaccination is, but it might make her think about it anyway.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
@jojojo, here's a story about a trial participant who now can't go on his honeymoon. It seems very unfair that people who signed up to help everyone else are getting disadvantaged like this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-57720739
Yep, there's no easy way out of it either. Vaccines offer the prospect of normality, and countries are trying to edge back to normality.

A blanket "all vaccines and any country's vaccine passport equivalent are ok," is a non-starter. I'm pretty sure we'll see the EU, UK and US accept each other as equivalent Vaccine passport authorities soon - so that should fix the system for lots of people.

Trialists are a different matter (and very much a minority interest - though I would argue that without the trialists, there are no vaccines!). All sorts of trials are underway in the UK and elsewhere. Again, the UK can suggest a blanket exemption for their trialists, but that's a whole new round of negotiations - covering everything from what constitutes a trial, through to placebo group treatment and documentation.

It's a funny limbo position to be in though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ultimately, it is up to your daughter to make her decision. She is 22 and seems to have looked at some of the issues, whether you or anyone else agrees.
Time will tell whether she was right or wrong.

lynchie

Yep, there's no easy way out of it either. Vaccines offer the prospect of normality, and countries are trying to edge back to normality.

A blanket "all vaccines and any country's vaccine passport equivalent are ok," is a non-starter. I'm pretty sure we'll see the EU, UK and US accept each other as equivalent Vaccine passport authorities soon - so that should fix the system for most people.

Trialists are a different matter (and very much a minority interest - though I would argue that without the trialists, there are no vaccines!). All sorts of trials are underway in the UK and elsewhere. Again, the UK can suggest a blanket exemption for their trialists, but that's a whole new round of negotiations - covering everything from what constitutes a trial, through to placebo group treatment and documentation.

It's a funny limbo position to be in though.
For anyone in a UK trial, they're considered equivalent to those who are fully vaccinated as far as any UK certification is concerned. I had a letter the other day, and it's supposed to show on the NHS app sometime this month.

Travelling to other countries is a big issue though - once the agreements are in place, I'd like to go and see my parents in France (for the first time since 2019) but I'm not optimistic about France accepting it.

I've also heard that even people who have been unblinded, and found out they had AZ in the trial, are still unlikely to be able to travel because it was in a trial, although I'm not sure if that's just a temporary admin issue.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
For anyone in a UK trial, they're considered equivalent to those who are fully vaccinated as far as any UK certification is concerned. I had a letter the other day, and it's supposed to show on the NHS app sometime this month.

Travelling to other countries is a big issue though - once the agreements are in place, I'd like to go and see my parents in France (for the first time since 2019) but I'm not optimistic about France accepting it.

I've also heard that even people who have been unblinded, and found out they had AZ in the trial, are still unlikely to be able to travel because it was in a trial, although I'm not sure if that's just a temporary admin issue.
Absolutely. My status shows as "green tick" with a QR code on the NHS app for the event pass with the words "valid in England" written below, and if you follow the link it describes the pass as "based on an exemption". I've also got a letter from the NHS research team explaining my status, describing the specific trial and referring to the standard letter from Jonathan Van-Tam explaining the trialist should be treated as vaccinated. Apparently people have successfully used them at Wimbledon and with some UK-only travel things (like cruises)

Nothing on the travel side of course, except for the "no covid-19 records found" in the place where my vaccine record ought to be.

I do think the AZ issue will get fixed soon, probably as part of a deal between the US/UK/EU on interchangeability.

As for triallists in general, anyone's guess really, but I guess it'll either get waved through as part of the general deal or it will get trapped in red tape indefinitely and we'll be waiting until our jabs either get approval or get dropped.

stu_1992

Felt great yesterday after the second jab. No effects, and my arm was nowhere near as sore as the first time.

Today though... Hit the 24 hour mark and feel like boiled shite. Low energy (I was able to run this morning before it hit), feel super warm and kind of headachy I guess.

@jojojo, here's a story about a trial participant who now can't go on his honeymoon. It seems very unfair that people who signed up to help everyone else are getting disadvantaged like this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-57720739
It's a difficult one but there are over 100 vaccines in development and most will fail. I get that people have signed up to help others, but if you're on a trial for a vaccine that doesn't work (or got the placebo), you are still essentially unvaccinated.

I know Novavax seems like it is going to work, but until it's authorised it can't be given a green light. And then, how do you decide which trials should be given the ok and which shouldn't?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Very curious results for Pfizer's performance vs. Delta on symptomatic infection. Hospital admission's far more important and tell broadly the same story but still...curious. Other than a different / broader demographic profile I can't think why it would differ so much. Presumably the sample size for Delta cases in Israel is much smaller / the data has bigger confidence intervals?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Very curious results for Pfizer's performance vs. Delta on symptomatic infection. Hospital admission's far more important and tell broadly the same story but still...curious. Other than a different / broader demographic profile I can't think why it would differ so much. Presumably the sample size for Delta cases in Israel is much smaller / the data has bigger confidence intervals?
The Israel sample size is smaller, so results less reliable. The big concern about their data is that it might represent a decline in efficacy over time, as they got their vaccination rollout started so early.

They’re up to 600 cases/day now, having spent weeks averaging less than 30. They were at 5 cases/day just one month ago.

Last edited:

Eugenius

The UK has already dished out 30+ million Oxford doses starting with the oldest and clinically vulnerable people several months ago. When would you feel ready to take it?

lynchie

The Israel sample size is smaller, so results less reliable. The big concern about their data is that it might represent a decline in efficacy over time, as they got their vaccination rollout started so early.

They’re up to 600 cases/day now, having spent weeks averaging less than 30.
I thought the Israel study included asymptomatic cases, so wouldn't be equivalent to the trial data. Might have misread something. I also think it's still not published in full, so difficult to conclude on the relevance.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought the Israel study included asymptomatic cases, so wouldn't be equivalent to the trial data. Might have misread something. I also think it's still not published in full, so difficult to conclude on the relevance.
I would definitely take the results with a pinch of salt but their surge in cases certainly points towards the possibility some sort of vaccine escape. Two deaths recently. The first in over two weeks. A 48 year old unvaccinated man and an 80 year old fully vaccinated man (his 70 year old wife - also vaccinated - is very unwell in hospital)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/coronavirus-deaths-reported-in-israel-for-first-time-in-over-2-weeks/

I know I’m being captain negative over the last couple of weeks but I really am worried. This fecking variant is a disaster.