The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protectionism is a dangerous road to go down. I always thought it was the dodgiest (in the sense of most difficult to implement) of Trump's election promises, even if the one with the most popular appeal.

He can build his wall, repeal Obamacare, spend a trillion on infrastructure ... and it'll be fiercely controversial, but imposing big tariffs on imported goods is a nuclear bomb.

The problem is, it hurts the ones who voted for him the most. Yes, it may get some more people into work. But it would mostly be low paid jobs, while all goods would get more expensive. There's literally no benefit, especially since a lot of companies (including the US car industry) can only manufacture in the US and stay competetive because parts of their supply chain is in other countries.

The problem is, it hurts the ones who voted for him the most. Yes, it may get some more people into work. But it would mostly be low paid jobs, while all goods would get more expensive. There's literally no benefit, especially since a lot of companies (including the US car industry) can only manufacture in the US and stay competetive because parts of their supply chain is in other countries.

Those are sane reasonable thoughts. Hence they don't play in the Trump universe. In Trumps world the U.S isn't crumpling because a fifth of the population is addicted to pills, more than half are obese to a point were it limits their productivity (physically), education has failed to a large extent for the past 30 years or the infrastructure is 50 years or older. It's because of Mexicans. It's because of Chinese. It's because of Germans. Before you know it, it will be because of the Brits, the French, or the Swiss. The U.S would be great, if it weren't for all those foreigners out to rob them, is what he is insinuating.

Hence understand what he means when he says 'Make America great again'.

@McUnited is the best example how Trump could win this election. Not properly informed, no knowledge about politics, zero insight into international relations or economy. Just buying the easy solutions provided because hey, they sound pretty, right?

Thanks!

/the_donald at it again. Apparently, there are now mass protests in Germany against immigrants, the article is speaking about a "war-torn country". Talk about fake news. Actual evidence is a picture of 15 eastern German dudes standing in some village holding a sign or two :lol:

@McUnited I feel the need to tell you that you are not a bad apple, a little bit naive on some points but we all are.

No problem mate. Maybe you can reflect on yourself. Take a few economics lessons on your community college after work maybe.

It's this sort of diatribe and vilification of those with contrasting opinions that shuts down fruitful discourse. Far from offering useful insights and raising points of discussion, it aggravates and provokes resentment. It's entirely counter-productive to your cause. Grow up.

@McUnited I feel the need to tell you that you are not a bad apple, a little bit naive on some points but we all are.
Never said he's an bad apple, just phrased out what you call "naive". Most people who voted for Trump are probably not the actual fecks hanging around /the_donald, with all their shitty memes and bastion mentality, awaiting a civil war. They poorly educated people who want easy answer and finally got a candidate who gave them exactly that.

Calling someone naive is all fine and dandy. It would be far more enlightening to describe exactly what is naive. But at least you aren't hurling insults around like another poster here.

It's this sort of diatribe and vilification of those with contrasting opinions that shuts down fruitful discourse. Far from offering useful insights and raising points of discussion, it aggravates and provokes resentment. It's entirely counter-productive to your cause. Grow up.

Sorry man, but there already was "fruitful discourse" with you and you got utterly destroyed because of your lack of knowledge. We can continue that if you want, maybe you can give me some insight on the matter that Neil Gorsuch might actually not be a good choice for SCOTUS from Trumps perspective?

Sorry, i've really attempted to understand Trump and those who admire him. At this point i'm way past attempting having a "fruitful discourse" with them anymore. I believe it to be impossible, since I seriously believe them to be deluded (and I have a number of them in my very own family). I accept and welcome their resentment at this point, there is no point in advocating your cause to someone incapable of understanding it.

Sorry man, but there already was "fruitful discourse" with you and you got utterly destroyed because of your lack of knowledge. We can continue that if you want, maybe you can give me some insight on the matter that Neil Gorsuch might actually not be a good choice for SCOTUS from Trumps perspective?

What discourse might you be referring to? May I ask how old you are, roughly?

And if you want to know what's naive, its exactly statements like "carefully planning the ban would have warned terrorists beforehand".
Do you really believe there is a bunch of ISIS terrorists waiting in Jemen, having a VISA ready to bomb the Empire State building? There have been exactly zero terrorists attacks by people which just travelled from outside the US in the last 15 years.

Never said he's an bad apple, just phrased out what you call "naive". Most people who voted for Trump are probably not the actual fecks hanging around /the_donald, with all their shitty memes and bastion mentality, awaiting a civil war. They poorly educated people who want easy answer and finally got a candidate who gave them exactly that.

It's not about you, it's more about the black and white nature of this type of thread.

Calling someone naive is all fine and dandy. It would be far more enlightening to describe exactly what is naive. But at least you aren't hurling insults around like another poster here.

For example the last point you made about the surprise effect, why would you surprise people who have been granted a VISA by your authorities? If you were talking about destinations that doesn't require VISAs you would have a point but you are not.

You can say that about almost any politically campaign. The only difference with Trump is that the risk factor is so incredibly high.

He's a liar and a hypocrite. More 'people with bad intentions' from Saudi Arabia committed terrorist attacks against Americans than from any other country but for some innocent reason are not banned.

Exactly... Few hate the US more than Saudi Arabia but they aren't anywhere to be found on the no fly list

For some reason, @fcbforever needs to put others down for making himself look competent. Tries to humiliate posters with cocky remarks. Got in an argument with him about that in another thread (where most of the things he wrote turned out to be alternative facts, btw).

And I'm writing this without holding any sympathies for @McUnited's standpoint.

For some reason, @fcbforever needs to put others down for making himself look competent. Tries to humiliate posters with cocky remarks. Got in an argument with him about that in another thread (where most of the things he wrote turned out to be alternative facts, btw).

I would be very interested to know which discussion that might have been.

He's a liar and a hypocrite. More 'people with bad intentions' from Saudi Arabia committed terrorist attacks against Americans than from any other country but for some innocent reason are not banned.
Surely even his supporters and voters will be able to make the critical distinction between these statements and the ban itself.

Surely even they will admit a President of the USA can make such acute mistakes or sweeping generalisations. What about intellectual Republicans?

Last edited:

Have to agree here. Imo he is free to make these remarks, but only after at least briefly outlining the actual reasoning he is basing them on and some vague reference to earlier discussion doesn't cut it.

Sorry, i've really attempted to understand Trump and those who admire him. At this point i'm way past attempting having a "fruitful discourse" with them anymore. I believe it to be impossible, since I seriously believe them to be deluded (and I have a number of them in my very own family). I accept and welcome their resentment at this point, there is no point in advocating your cause to someone incapable of understanding it.

If what you say is true, then why engage with anyone that disagrees with you on the subject? If you feel 'there is no point in advocating your cause to someone incapable of understanding it' may I suggest not responding to anything they say since by your reasoning you'd be wasting your time in doing so.

Exactly... Few hate the US more than Saudi Arabia but they aren't anywhere to be found on the no fly list

Well it should surprise no one if you consider the arms contracts between the 2 countries, the lobbying influence, oil imports and Saudi being an important strategic partner in the region.

Have to agree here. Imo he is free to make these remarks, but only after at least briefly outlining the actual reasoning he is basing them on and some vague reference to earlier discussion doesn't cut it.

It's literally on page 403-405 of this thread. I think most people do know which discussion was meant, it's referenced again on this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.