The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I still can't get over what someone posted recently, mate: how he sends photos of his encircled hands to a journalist who criticised them for their small size. :lol:
:lol: this is why The Thick Of It would fail if it came out now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's actually one of the most bizarrely funny things I've read. I was just incredulous, even though we all know by now what he's like.

MTF

It's actually one of the most bizarrely funny things I've read. I was just incredulous, even though we all know by now what he's like.
My reference for his behavior back in 2016 when we got to know him more quickly became Eric Cartman from South Park. If you can imagine how Cartman might react to something, that's likely how Trump will react (but Cartman is more eloquent than Trump).

SteveJ

Scout
Of course the numbers are 'incredible' - they're courtesy of Fox News.

SteveJ

Scout
Trump to hold press conference after jobs numbers better than expected
He wasn't so keen to address the public at the start of the protests.

Meanwhile:
The president has tweeted a copy of a letter that appears to have been written by one of his former attorneys to former defense secretary Jim Mattis, after Mattis heavily criticized Trump on Wednesday for dividing America.

The letter says: “The phony protesters in Lafayette park were not peaceful and are not real. They are terrorists using idle hate-filled students to burn and destroy.”
(Sources: Guardian et al)

Wolverine

The little stuff like this still gets me. There's people who want four more years of this guy.
That "kidding but true" and the third person stuff. Why is he so weird?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

The little stuff like this still gets me. There's people who want four more years of this guy.
That "kidding but true" and the third person stuff. Why is he so weird?
He's simultaneously inarticulate, insecure and immature - hence idiotic nonsense like this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
You mean...they're...imaginary?
He called a reporter Fake News recently that made me start to think that this is the next stage of alternative facts. It's no longer the news that's fake it's the people. So anyone who says anything negative, even on camera, about him will be deemed as imaginary by his followers. Funnily enough Russian bots will be seen as real.

At that point we're fecked as a species.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I still can't get over what someone posted recently, mate: how he sends photos of his encircled hands to a journalist who criticised them for their small size. :lol:
It's the editor of vanity fair. Trump was upset over an article that criticised the size of his hands so for the last decade or so he's been sending him pictures :lol: It's like he also messages FORBES telling them how much he is worth and pestering them about his position on the Rich List. So much so they wanted to remove him permanently :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.va...donald-trump-small-hands-hurricane-relief/amp

I remember seeing it all on the Trump 4 Part Documentary a few years ago. I'm sure it was ITV or Channel4 and i'm also sure it's on PRIME or Netflix now too.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
"This is a great day. This day is a great, great day. Of all the days, this day is great. A great day today. This day of days is a great day. Believe me"

SirAF

Ageist
If anyone ever needs a reason for why evangelical/fundamentalist christianity is a detriment to society just look up/refer to the Jesus Camp documentary.
The Theroux documentary was more than enough for me :lol: fecking nutters.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think the "flaw" we found in the US these past few years is that enough of the population is wholly unconcerned with the norms of government so they're willing to support an authoritarian, and enough of the populations is wholly unconcerned with the norms of decorum so they're willing to support someone grotesque. We already knew that enough of the population was conservative and/or voted very very narrow interests (lower my taxes, no abortions, don't take my guns, etc), so we shouldn't be surprised that there are Republican presidencies or Republican congressional majorities at times. But while it is longer-term an existential threat to a healthy democracy to have potentially several authoritarian presidencies and majorities, it's also very hard to have a system design that keeps that threat in check if that is what the electorate wants.

from 1996 I think. You won't agree with it, but it (specifically the last 2 minutes) predicts the Tea Party, Trump and most conservative thinking today.

About sustainable Republican majorities, my argument is always:

A 60-year stretch with almost a monopoly on the House (58/60). The obvious argument is segregation and the Southern strategy, which worked on the presidential level, but the House remained blue till 1994, 30 years after civil rights.
I would argue that that's at least partly because of the New Deal and then the war on poverty, and the collapse in 94 is at least partly because of the full embrace of neoliberal economics and the self-inflicted powerlessness of their machine (unions).

Status
Not open for further replies.