The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Martial/Rashford are determined to get behind the defence as much as Sane/Sterling do, we would have had a title race.

The latter are hardworking, the former are lazy, disillusioned, indolent. Please close this thread until we reduce the deficit between them and us to between 3-5 points.
The latter aren't given half the defensive responsibility.
Please think before you start slagging off our players.

At best we'll beat them at home but would be shocked if we go to the Etihad and win considering our away form against good sides.

Not happening. They will run rings around us.

I've seen lots of negative posters on here but you're something else, never seen you post one positive thing about us this season.

It's a game of football, anything can happen.

As I mentioned elsewhere, City have been superb, but the quality of the teams outside the top 6 has gone down a notch this season. Bar 1 or 2 teams like Burnley, they have become fodder, and for a team like City with no obvious weaknesses, it translates to an incredible winning run.

Usually stubborn teams like Everton, Leicester and Southampton are just not as good as previous seasons. Credit to Guardiola of course, for buying well and implementing his vision, but unlike other teams like ours who still have personnel issues, it is a perfect scenario for City to go on a great run and makes them look just perfect.
You post this immediately after City had to burst a blood vessel to win away at Huddersfield and celebrated like they'd won the CL at the final whistle?

They exerted a massive amount of energy to win today, and if that keeps up, there will be a price to pay.

You cannot play with that intensity going into the December/January run of games.

Whether anyone else capitalises on that is another matter, but City in and of themselves are not going to be able to sustain that kind of play for the whole season - not even into February.

Yep, and the depressing thing is, how many of us actually think we'll do that? I think we'll win one of the three, max. They are three tricky fixtures and a good test of our mettle. The City one is truly a must-win now.
Even more frustrating is we haven't even been bad, we've started the season very well, record breakingly so in fact. It's just they've been insane and have raised the bar. In any other season we'd be top.

At best we'll beat them at home but would be shocked if we go to the Etihad and win considering our away form against good sides.

City have got to play against Tottenham after us too, and games will come thick and fast.

I've seen lots of negative posters on here but you're something else, never seen you post one positive thing about us this season.

It's a game of football, anything can happen.
All born from a hatred for Mourinho. There's nothing objective about anything he says.

Beat them, the gap is 5. 20+ games to go after that.

Get a grip. They're heavy favourites obviously but 8 points isn't the end of the world.

They're in incredible form. But our start is one of the best we've had in the premier league over the last 10 years or so. The pessimism really is silly and uncalled for.

You post this immediately after City had to burst a blood vessel to win away at Huddersfield and celebrated like they'd won the CL at the final whistle?

They exerted a massive amount of energy to win today, and if that keeps up, there will be a price to pay.

You cannot play with that intensity going into the December/January run of games.

Whether anyone else capitalises on that is another matter, but City in and of themselves are not going to be able to sustain that kind of play for the whole season - not even into February.
Would agree with this and I think they'll start dropping points.

A big win in a tough match. A lucky break with the goal but Sterling just keeps on getting in those areas to make an impact (no luckier than Young’s goal yesterday either). Really would expect us to beat Saints and Wham now before the derby but the difficult games are starting to come thick and fast now, and today shows anything can happen.

Jeez. That's another 6 points and we are definitely not getting 6 against Watford and Arsenal. 4 is the best we can hope for which means the gap will be at least 10 points going into the derby. Then we'll need to beat them just to get into the same position we are now which is 7 or 8 points behind. It's just too difficult to catch them.

Speak for yourselves.

Just because we scored late doesn’t mean we had to burst a blood vessel. It was a close game sure, but more tiring games will come. We had 80% of the ball, and had to defend against 37 successful passes in the entire 2nd half. This kind of game is not the most physically demanding. It was more about digging in to create one more chance against a resolute defence.

City started last year like a freight train. They've maintained their form far better this time round but it's still uncertain whether it'll continue past the christmas period. Obviously if they keep it up they win the title but it's hardly the surest of things.

Even if City are finding it harder, it isn’t like there’s anyone else out there who is cruising themselves. City are as comfortably ahead as one can be at this point.

I know I don't really have a leg to stand on but it's still annoying the way Arsenal and City have lucked out today after being minutes (seconds in Arsenal's case) away from dropping points. Ah well that's football I suppose and I'm sure they felt similarly yesterday watching us, as did LFC fans for their game.

We have both of them coming up though and if you want something done right...

City started last year like a freight train. They've maintained their form far better this time round but it's still uncertain whether it'll continue past the christmas period. Obviously if they keep it up they win the title but it's hardly the surest of things.

You cannot compare this year's team to last year. They are much more organised this season and egg head has obviously spent a fortune in the Summer so they have a much better squad.

Jeez. That's another 6 points and we are definitely not getting 6 against Watford and Arsenal. 4 is the best we can hope for which means the gap will be at least 10 points going into the derby. Then we'll need to beat them just to get into the same position we are now which is 7 or 8 points behind. It's just too difficult to catch them.

What on earth are you talking about? As a matter of obvious fact the best you can hope for is 6 points from 2 games. It has been known to happen on occasion, even to Manchester United!

Even if City are finding it harder, it isn’t like there’s anyone else out there who is cruising themselves. City are as comfortably ahead as one can be at this point.

Exactly. This club loses against Huddersfield and Basel and needs flukes against Brighton. Like we will capitalize....

All teams are having to spend tons of energy to win games in PL. We were about to slip yesterday, City had to really push themselves to get a win today. Our main challenge is to win both games before the derby. Having to play Arsenal before City makes it really tough for us. Lose the derby and it is definetely curtains for us this season. Hopefully, we will make it into quarter finals in CL. Second place in the Prem and last 8 in the CL will make it a decent season for me.

Of course they were going to win today, it’s November.

If they’re still 8 points clear after their typically horrific month of December then I’ll be quite concerned.

Just because we scored late doesn’t mean we had to burst a blood vessel. It was a close game sure, but more tiring games will come. We had 80% of the ball, and had to defend against 37 successful passes in the entire 2nd half. This kind of game is not the most physically demanding. It was more about digging in to create one more chance against a resolute defence.
You were working extremely hard. The possession stats are one thing. The sprints made and the constant work for chances was high. Huddersfield embroiled you in a physical game and you had to indulge them - matching pace for pace, workrate for workrate etc.

It wasn't necessarily a two-way battle, but they made you graft all the way through the game.

Put it this way, if you're doing that through until Boxing Day, you're going to have some knackered players.

Seems to me, also, that you're getting the United treatment as teams are up for it when you come to their ground and are eager to be the first to put you to the sword, which is nice.

Just hope we beat Arsenal. If we lose that it will really deflate us going into the derby, knowing that even a win would just put us back where we started.

You were working extremely hard. The possession stats are one thing. The sprints made and the constant work for chances was high. Huddersfield embroiled you in a physical game and you had to indulge them - matching pace for pace, workrate for workrate etc.

It wasn't necessarily a two-way battle, but they made you graft all the way through the game.

Put it this way, if you're doing that through until Boxing Day, you're going to have some knackered players.

Seems to me, also, that you're getting the United treatment as teams are up for it when you come to their ground and are eager to be the first to put you to the sword, which is nice.

In most games they score early enough that the other side does all the chasing. I'm not sure every game from City in the winter period will be this labored.

You cannot compare this year's team to last year. They are much more organised this season and egg head has obviously spent a fortune in the Summer so they have a much better squad.

Sure, so far they're proving to be an excellent outfit, they're certainly title favourites and they're definitely better than last year. One defeat can always lead to a bad patch though and they can feel pressure like anyone else. Madrid were world beaters and Barca were in tatters before a ball had been kicked this season. Things can change pretty quickly.

City haven't won anything yet. But the talk of dropping points is quite vague. It's impossible for them to sustain that form but it is not necessary either for they do not need 108 pts to win the league. 90 pts will probably suffice.

Even if they draw 4 and lose 5 games in the remaining 25 games - that is if they roughly win only 2 in every 3 games - they still will amass 89 pts which would probably be enough.

Hard task for the other contenders for sure. But it is still possible if they dramatically improve their form.

True, although the sheer extent to which they've started well this season means they'll almost certainly be competing for the title unless they completely collapse. Right now they'd only need 43 points from 25 to hit the 80-point mark for example. They'll probably do far, far better than that, even if there's a bit of a drop-off.

City haven't won anything yet. But the talk of dropping points is quite vague. It's impossible for them to sustain that form but it is not necessary either for they do not need 108 pts to win the league. 90 pts will probably suffice.

Even if they draw 4 and lose 5 games in the remaining 25 games - that is if they roughly win only 2 in every 3 games - they still will amass 89 pts which would probably be enough.

Hard task for the other contenders for sure. But it is still possible if they dramatically improve their form.

Yep, similar thoughts here. As with all sides they'll no doubt have patchy spells but the extent to which they've dominated thus far should stand them in excellent stead. They only need to maintain about 2 PPG to be hitting the upper 80s.

Today wasn't the clearest example of their 'luck' but the manner of their winning goal today was certainly lucky. Throw in the Liverpool match (Liverpool should've been 0-2 up before Mané's red card), the Kompany non-red v Leicester, the Bournemouth winner in the 97th minute etc. The 'luck' I spoke about referenced the fortune they've found across the season to date.
The biggest injustice in all our games was Walker getting sent off agaisnt the toffees. We were robbed in that match.

City will have to feck it up, i do not think we have the players or the ability to win it from here. We play watford and arsenal next, City play Southampton and West fecking ham. The lead could well be in double digits. It is not over but could be by next weekend.

I think it is minimum for pep after the money spent i.e. 426 million for players he has asked even including before his arrival. I think that money is what is showing here, they are clearly a level above everyone else. Unless they suffer huge injuries or an internal problem they will win the league with a record number of points. Simply speaking only city can prevent city winning the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.