The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order for City to lose it at this stage there has to be a six game swing. As in ourselves or whoever have to win three games, whilst City lose three. That is not going to happen. We may win three, but city wont lose three.

Their wastefulness from last season is starting to creep back in so it's difficult to just put it down to luck. They're starting to squander chances after dropping the Jesus and Aguero partnership.
It's a legit tactical concern for Pep.

Well, it's a bit early to say whether they are back to wasting chances on a regular basis. The next few games will tell more. They haven't played with both Aguero and Jesus for two months now and have scored plenty of goals in that time.

It's not over until it's mathematically over. We're in a good place though, I hope we can maintain this lead until the derby. That'd be a great step forward.

In order for City to lose it at this stage there has to be a six game swing. As in ourselves or whoever have to win three games, whilst City lose three. That is not going to happen. We may win three, but city wont lose three.
You realise that they can draw games, right?

True, although the sheer extent to which they've started well this season means they'll almost certainly be competing for the title unless they completely collapse. Right now they'd only need 43 points from 25 to hit the 80-point mark for example. They'll probably do far, far better than that, even if there's a bit of a drop-off.

Yep, City need to dip and Utd have to improve a bit - current form indicates 85 point total.

What title race?!

As far as I can see the only race is who will finish 2nd after City.

And that is between us, Chelsea, arsenal and Liverpool. I reckon we might just do it!!

We have been in this situation before under SAF sitting second 8 points gap between us and the first and still November? If so then we are in a good progress regarding our previous 3-4 years, we were only in the hunt of top four which we got it once.
Moyes 7th
Louis 4th
Louis 5th
Jose 6th
Jose if runners up then it's good improvement though!

Over 25 games it is not impossible: if United win 19, draw 4 and lose 2 from the remaining 25 games, we will get 90 pts. Which could suffice. Or not.

Over 25 games it is not impossible: if United win 19, draw 4 and lose 2 from the remaining 25 games, we will get 90 pts. Which could suffice. Or not.
I think you will get 90 points. I don't think it will be enough

I think you will get 90 points. I don't think it will be enough

It will be enough. Epl changes a lot after december and during december. Teams play for result all the time and its not easy to win later.

Just seen that when Chelsea broke the record and finished on 95 pts, they had "only" 32 pts after 13 games, i.e. 5 less than City now. The league was weaker then though. I don't expect City to break the record.

Can't see City not winning the title but their last three games they haven't been as imperious as before. Still limiting opposition to very little chances and creating good ones themselves but perhaps not quite as crisp as before. Good to see teams at least pushing City, and I'm sure they'll start dropping a few points here and there. If they'd drawn today the derby in two weeks would definitely have been much more interesting but I have belief we can get something from that game, especially at OT (and if we can manage to beat Watford and Arse before that). City will win the title but I can see them having a few rough weeks if an unexpected loss occurs. I've been impressed with how they've grinded out results in the past few games despite perhaps not being at their best, something which they failed at too many times last season when the going got tough in games against defensive opposition

We will drop more points than City between now and the end of the season.

We dropped points by 15 draws last season but went on 25 game unbeaten run. We can put the unbeaten run again. We just have to score and finish now and provide better service to lukaku which will improve with pogba and zlatan and rojo back. We will drop points sometime but we are capable of closing the gap and just need to concentrate on our matches.

This is not looking good for us... City, Chelsea and Arsenal are at home for their next two games. One would expect them to have dropped points if they were away but at home i don't think any of them would. Unfortunately for us we go away in the same period and we are usually awful away. With might have conceded second place to Chelsea by the time those matches are out of the way. I fear for us.

I think we (City) realistically need 55 points out of the remaining 75 available and that would get us 92, surely that amount would do the job.

That would mean we could easily lose 4 and draw 4. And even then one of the challengers would have to go on a superb run.

I think talk of over 100 points is far fetched.

It will be enough. Epl changes a lot after december and during december. Teams play for result all the time and its not easy to win later.
Another non-believer :D

You haven't seen enough truly great teams in england of late, you don't quite realize that teams like this city or last year's chelsea aren't going to drop points where the chelsea and city of 13-15 did

Said it last winter chelsea would finish with no less than 90 points and people didn't believe me. Look what happened

I'll say it again, your only hope is injuries stop them, otherwise, 92 points is the minimum cut-off

People call this city side the best and we are right now second to this best side and yet some moaners here call us mediocre. Wow

Another non-believer :D

You haven't seen enough truly great teams in england of late, you don't quite realize that teams like this city or last year's chelsea aren't going to drop points where the chelsea and city of 13-15 did

Said it last winter chelsea would finish with no less than 90 points and people didn't believe me. Look what happened

I'll say it again, your only hope is injuries stop them, otherwise, 92 points is the minimum cut-off

Its depends on the philosophy you are playing, Chelsea dint find parked buses infront of them as they played counter attacking most of the time , same with leicester but city and united will find them and the it will become difficult to break down more and more. The more you play backwards and sidewards the more and more the opponents will drop deeper.

And We are capable of taking points of them directly too we dont depend on injuries but we need to avoid our injuries.

Also You have to play 19 teams again in second half and any one can beat anyone in top 6 and get shocked against gritty opponents.

It will be enough till the end of the season.

We have no-one to blame but ourselves for the 8 point gap. I said it before and I'll say it again. Drawing at Stoke and losing against Huddersfield is why we find ourselves behind City.

As I said before, I am not ready to concede just yet. Call me a fool - a romantic - whatever ... just takes one result to create tension for this team. If you were placing a bet, of course it’s City’s. If they win, they deserve it. But I am still pleased with where we are at. Just a few missing pieces. Pep had a year head start to get to this point. So if not this year, we will take another crack at it next year.

Had a real laugh at the changed title to this thread!

We have no-one to blame but ourselves for the 8 point gap. I said it before and I'll say it again. Drawing at Stoke and losing against Huddersfield is why we find ourselves behind City.

We can start to compensate by beating City ourselves, assuming we also beat Arsenal and Watford before them. Whether we'll pull it off though...

We can start to compensate by beating City ourselves, assuming we also beat Arsenal and Watford before them. Whether we'll pull it off though...

It will be tough but we 'll be up for it with zlatan pogba and fellani back.

We aren't winning the title. You can quote me on this in May(probably even earlier)

But 80 points and top 3 would be a fantastic return and our best season post Ferguson. It's progress and would be a step in the right direction.

Title are not decided in november. Its a crazy league.

Pretty much. To drop points against other top six teams is a given. But to lose against Huddersfield is what has killed us. And the Stoke draw as well.

It will be tough but we 'll be up for it with zlatan pogba and fellani back.

Yup if we do it we'll have handed City their first loss of the season, and reduced the gap to 5 points. In such a case everything is to play for again.

That's all the incentive you need. I really hope we turn up to our next 3 games.

As I said before, I am not ready to concede just yet. Call me a fool - a romantic - whatever ... just takes one result to create tension for this team. If you were placing a bet, of course it’s City’s. If they win, they deserve it. But I am still pleased with where we are at. Just a few missing pieces. Pep had a year head start to get to this point. So if not this year, we will take another crack at it next year.

Had a real laugh at the changed title to this thread!

Erm, they started exactly the same time. Actually Mourinho was sitting on his arse for 6 months after getting sacked by Chelsea, so he technically had the head start while Guardiola still had to take his Bayern to the Semi Finals of the CL.

Yup if we do it we'll have handed City their first loss of the season, and reduced the gap to 5 points. In such a case everything is to play for again.

That's all the incentive you need. I really hope we turn up to our next 3 games.

And then city play tottenham. Its in our hands.

Erm, they started exactly the same time. Actually Mourinho was sitting on his arse for 6 months after getting sacked by Chelsea, so he technically had the head start while Guardiola still had to take his Bayern to the Semi Finals of the CL.

Birgiristan has been buying for pep since 2012. KDB would be bayern bound if not for peps politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.