The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see why theres pessimism over the Watford game?
They're an away side, they need space to operate in and struggle to win games at Vicerage Road.

Not at all confident we'll win any of our next two fixtures. In fact, I'm more confident of getting a victory v City than I am away to Watford in a midweek fixture or away to a resurgent, game-raising Arsenal next weekend.

Big game for City really. Two reasonable home games next week while United travel to Watford then Arsenal before the derby. A win would be a big step forwards to the derby with at least an 8 point gap intact.
It's between us and City. We'll both win all of our home games, including derbies. Our hope is the volume of games take its toll on the City squad, with fatigue, injury, suspensions, ref decisions and the potential to slip up away from home.
The CL draw will be key, as either of us could get Real, Athletico, Juve or Bayern. Going long in the CL, could hinder PL ambitions for either.
Both should go long in domestic cups.
Chelsea and Liverpool can't cope with CL and PL this year.
Spurs also have to throw Wembley into the mix, which will cause fatigue late in the season, which has done for them since Poch arrived.
So, Arsenal are the only other threat. Wenger always plays his reserves in cup games up to the final, resting the first team. If he can keep Ozil and Sanchez in January, they won't be far away.

Think we're playing for 2nd meself, I see City moving further away in the very near future. After which they might relax a bit, but I don't see anyone catching them. They score too often & too easily.

Season could get interesting if De bruyne gets injured for some time like Pogba, contrary to popular belief I think City will struggle in his absence.

Not at all confident we'll win any of our next two fixtures. In fact, I'm more confident of getting a victory v City than I am away to Watford in a midweek fixture or away to a resurgent, game-raising Arsenal next weekend.
Probably a draw against us. 1-1 or 0-0.

Think we're playing for 2nd meself, I see City moving further away in the very near future. After which they might relax a bit, but I don't see anyone catching them. They score too often & too easily.
Spot on.
And I think Jose know it, too.

We are playing for 2nd. We'll get it.

It is far from over. What we need is a suprise drop of point for City. Hopefully tomorrow. Once that happen it will give us a boost and open things up a bit more. The derby will be key no doubt as well.

@McGrathsipan
So going to a Watford side with 2 wins at home makes you shake in your boots?
Or are we going to pick and choose which form table to tremble at?
Edit the side with a worse home record than both Palace and Everton?

Season could get interesting if De bruyne gets injured for some time like Pogba, contrary to popular belief I think City will struggle in his absence.

He's been incredible for them this season, but I think City has more than enough quality and depth to cope comfortably even if he suffered a season-ender tomorrow.

If we are already playing for 2nd in this time of the season, then feck it

We're not going to win the league unless City has an almighty collapse. Not only do they have a big lead, they don't look like dropping points and we're struggling to win most games. The gap looks more like increasing than decreasing on current form. City have already beaten some very strong teams including Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool (most of redcafe was cheering in the City goals that day). And they have far too much quality for the cannon fodder as their results show.

All we can do is to take one game at a time. Sorry for the cliche. If we get on a run, even with City seemingly unstoppable right now, it will only take a couple of slip ups and we will be right in the mix again. Nerves will come into play. I still think it’s too early to make a call. Having said that if we do have a couple of slip ups ourselves then it’s over! Think the Derby game is going to be obviously fairly massive and I am not writing off our chances just yet.

Think Man City will piss it personally. I hope not though but if can get close match between paddy power and Betfair I will lump on and hopefully paddy pays out early and City blow it.

@McGrathsipan

I know what your saying.

We shouldn't be trembling at all.... we're Man United.... but...

@McGrathsipan
I think the fear, if you can call it that, is that we play less offensively in away games. Watford have been difficult for us in the past, so if they are given any kind of encouragement it will be a hard game. Add to that and our forwards not clicking, or rather us having little creativity to break down well organized defenses.

I agree. I expect a point at best from the next two games.

This thread reminds me of the top 4 thread last season when some were convinced we'd get it until the end, despite us falling further away most weeks. Progress I suppose.

The next two away games are going to be very difficult. Our away from isn't great, and Watford are playing extremely well.

Arsenal game is always a difficult one.

The fact that our performances are all over the place only adds to the pessimism.

The big games are where the league will be won. We've drew at Anfield, lost at Chelsea and beat Spurs(h). City have beat Liverpool(h), Arsenal(h) and won at Chelsea. I can't foresee that pattern changing. The only positive we can take from that is we've got Anfield out of the way.

It's between us and City. We'll both win all of our home games, including derbies. Our hope is the volume of games take its toll on the City squad, with fatigue, injury, suspensions, ref decisions and the potential to slip up away from home.

You are in the same number of competitions as we are, if you want to go all the way you'll be playing the same volume of games as we will, so our potential slip ups are also your potential slip ups.

I don’t see City slipping, at least not while they know we are in 2nd place. Not only are they full of confidence, but players such as Agüero and Kompany have it in their DNA to want to beat United. If we are to be Champs, we need to beat Arsenal and then soundly beat City too. We need to show the rest of the league that City is not unbeatable.

Even if City drop a few points, which they will however unlikely it may seem at the minute, I think we'll drop even more so I can't see us catching them. I'm more interested in seeing us open up a gap on Chelsea and co.

You are in the same number of competitions as we are, if you want to go all the way you'll be playing the same volume of games as we will, so our potential slip ups are also your potential slip ups.
Yes, but if we win the derby (form book goes out of the window), you've then got Spurs, one slip up and we're right there. Pressure, which considering how you've played could be telling.
It's quite obvious that Jose is just going to grind his way through this season, regardless of entertainment claims from pundit's, purist's or fans

Yes, but if we win the derby (form book goes out of the window), you've then got Spurs, one slip up and we're right there. Pressure, which considering how you've played could be telling.
It's quite obvious that Jose is just going to grind his way through this season, regardless of entertainment claims from pundit's, purist's or fans

Can’t see United being anywhere near us come the derby, with an in form Watford to play and a trip to The Emirates if anything the gap could be in double figures.

Jose won’t try win the Derby he will go into survival mode and see what can be nicked on set pieces. Will be interesting to see how he sets United up to see if his mindset is achieving a top 4 finish or at least trying to lay a glove on City in the title race.

Big few weeks coming up. Watford away, Arsenal and then City. If we take 9 points from the next 9, I think we'll win it. If City beat us, that's pretty much game over.

Big few weeks coming up. Watford away, Arsenal and then City. If we take 9 points from the next 9, I think we'll win it. If City beat us, that's pretty much game over.
Yes, 9 points from those games would be genuinely fantastic. It would definitely make me look at United in a different way. In reality you could win those 3 and still be 5 points behind City but your confidence would be very high and there’s no saying how this City team will react to a defeat yet.

Jose has sent us out with a gameplan that has us running a lot less than the opposition compared to Citys all action style.
He must think this will give him an advantage when the games start piling up but we have to be closer to City if their legs do start to go.

Jose has sent us out with a gameplan that has us running a lot less than the opposition compared to Citys all action style.
He must think this will give him an advantage when the games start piling up but we have to be closer to City if their legs do start to go.
City definitely have a record of 'dropping off' in recent years after a blistering start, usually around the Xmas pile up, but this is a young squad and I'm struggling to see that happening with them, especially when you look at the insane consistency of Pep's teams over the years domestically. I think the title is pretty much already gone, only way we can get back into it is through a win in the derby (unlikely), but even then I think we will simply drop points against smaller teams that they won't.

there's no fecking way we're picking up nine points in those games. Not a chance. i'm not even confident of three points against that Watford team.

Our away form is a huge concern. Thats whats making me pessimistic about any sort of title challenge. With a big handful of our attacking options out of form the next two games will make or break our title chances. We will do well to get 4 points from those games.

there's no fecking way we're picking up nine points in those games. Not a chance. i'm not even confident of three points against that Watford team.
It's possible, but not likely. If we somehow manage to do it then I think it's on.

@Massive Spanner
But we had a young squad last year and we suffered from muscle injuries every other week as the season went on.
City themselves died off, Liverpool fell off a cliff around this time last year.
23 year old Pogba collapsed with exhaustion v Burnley and had to be subbed.
Obviously they can rotate but the likes of Walker, Fernandinho, KDB, Sane and Sterling would be very difficult to faze in and out, its not as if they can take turns resting 1 game at a time.
Im not saying it'll happen but it looks as if its a gamble that Jose is taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.