The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding? 2017/18 United side is superior to that season, especially defence and midfield. 11/12 side is ageing squad and needs to overhaul squad but SAF made them looking world beater team and know how to win a game.

if City keeps doing like this in last 2 EPL games for next 5 games or so, they probably would draw or lose but they need to sort out their defence tactics before it going to get worse much. Some lesser team like Watford can pull off a shock against arsenal to score in 90+ minute. If West Brom can pull off a shock, they'd drew with City.

We've won our last 2 games 3-0 and 3-2 wtf are you wittering on about if west brom can pull off a shock, they didn't and never looked likely too

What? I don't understand that last sentence at all. West Brom pulled off a defeat. Had Otamendi not gotten complacent no one would be questioning our defence at all. We've conceded less goal than the much praised Spurs back 4/5 this season. Watford may pull off a shock v Arsenal but City beat them by 6. yes any team in the league can pull off a shock vs City, the issue is they are just as likely (possibly more likely) to pull one off v United because United don't put these teams to bed.

If City play there next 5 games at the current rate they'll concede 3 goal, pretty sure only conceding 3 in 5 games would see us maintain our current points average or at worst drop maybe 2 points as whatever about Southampton... Arsenal, WestHam, Huddersfield and Leicester are unlikely not to concede vs us.

We've won our last 2 games 3-0 and 3-2 wtf are you wittering on about if west brom can pull off a shock, they didn't and never looked likely too

Apologies for my mistakes, I just forgot Burnley were 2nd last game they went against
You are ignoring the fact that City didn't put West Brom to bed, just escaped by 1 goal. My point is that City needs to keep defence tight until 90m. Arsenal didn't do it, they just got drew with Watford so any lesser team can pull off a shock. If City can keep defence tight, not leaking sloppy goal in many games through the season then I have no doubt, they would keep winning.

Apologies for my mistakes, I just forgot Burnley were 2nd last game they went against
You are ignoring the fact that City didn't put West Brom to bed, just escaped by 1 goal. My point is that City needs to keep defence tight until 90m. Arsenal didn't do it, they just got drew with Watford so any lesser team can pull off a shock. If City can keep defence tight, not leaking sloppy goal in many games through the season then I have no doubt, they would keep winning.

2 goals clear going into the 92 min is fine by me, the defence had been fine this season

Every team encounters a rough patch during a season, particularly a team who are competing on all fronts. It'll come; wait and see.

No doubt it will but the same has to be leveled at United too

I reckon next week we'll beat Chelsea and Arsenal will beat City. We'll go 2 points behind them and thats the start of their demise. Teams will know how to set up against them. By Christmas we'll be 8 points clear.

Nice.. Can't wait

2 goals clear going into the 92 min is fine by me, the defence had been fine this season

No doubt it will but the same has to be leveled at United too

Of course. Hence why I stressed the importance of us staying on City's coattails until they hit theirs in order capitalise. If we're 8+ points off at that stage, it'll be too little, too late.

Beat Chelsea and theres nothing in it, 5 points is nothing when its the first week of November.
I can't see how Chelsea won't be leggy after the Roma game, its the exact same scenario they had before they faced City.

We have gone through our rough patch. From now on we will only be stronger, we got Pogba, Bailly, and Jones back in the first XI. We can start to play with two CBs again and get that extra attacker we need without leaving us with a frail defense. Soon Zlatan will be back and we will have loads of attacking options and probably try a front three of Martial-Lukaku-Rasford with Zlatan coming on for either of them. I’m excited.

Of course. That's why I stated the importance of us being close enough to capitalise on their wobble, rather than 8+ points off them whenever it comes.

But that's assuming Utd don't have a similar wobble at any point, which they may, and probably will, difference is City have a 5 point advantage yo allow for the wobble......Utd don't.

This is the time when we should get stronger with everyone coming back from injury soon. While it's about the same time as last year when Pep's tactics turn City to shite, starting to leak goals.

This is the time when we should get stronger with everyone coming back from injury soon. While it's about the same time as last year when Pep's tactics turn City to shite, starting to leak goals.

There's every chance we can still improve & get better. City that is.

There's every chance we can still improve & get better. City that is.
I don’t think we can really expect to keep achieving 2.8ppg average, that takes us to 106 for the season. You lose a game and have to win your next 14 Just to keep that up. That said, I do think performance wise we can improve. I’d like to see us show a bit more composure against Arsenal than in previous years.

Can't believe a number of people writing us off. No one remembers what happened in 2011/12? Manchester City got 5 points ahead of us in the first 10 games then we got 5 points ahead of City in 34 games and favourite to win the league with 4 games left because of our fixture and who we going to face against. Drewing with Everton cost us a title and gifted 3 points to Manchester City. we equalled City on points and City won the league by difference+

N2WhE

One huge difference is we had Fergie as a manager
They have a better defence this season so I don't think they will be leaking that many goals to be honest.

The coming weekend will be a huge one for the title race. The good news is Chelsea have a tough away game against Roma which they have to take very seriously while we play at home to a poor Benfica side. Chelsea's record at home has also been average so far with 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses. This is a must win game for both sides.

Let's hope there isn't a repeat of another 4-0 thumping.
It would be great if we could get the win here as I expect city to beat Arse but I think it will be a draw as we haven't won at the bridge in ages and I'm sure Conte and co will be well up for it.

I don’t think we can really expect to keep achieving 2.8ppg average, that takes us to 106 for the season. You lose a game and have to win your next 14 Just to keep that up. That said, I do think performance wise we can improve. I’d like to see us show a bit more composure against Arsenal than in previous years.

Not goal wise, but as you say performance. This is a big week for us as Napoli are as good as any PL team are atm. Then we come to sunday against Arsenal. One win in our last 9 i believe it is. A big day at the top.

The coming weekend will be a huge one for the title race. The good news is Chelsea have a tough away game against Roma which they have to take very seriously while we play at home to a poor Benfica side. Chelsea's record at home has also been average so far with 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses. This is a must win game for both sides.
I'd say it's must win for Chelsea but not for us. I think the fact we took all three points yesterday gives us a little breathing space in that match. Four points from Spurs / Chelsea would be an excellent return, regardless of City's points tally.

City will drop points. They'll have a dodgy spell and an injury to De Bruyne or Otamendi would hurt them badly. We've had a dodgy spell (and will have more), we've had an unlucky injury spell. We've scored more goals than anyone but City and conceded fewer than anyone at all.

Two weeks ago everyone was saying "wait until United have played a proper team". Well now we've played two and taken 4 points without our best player and without playing at all well. My biggest worry would be that employing negative tactics against Liverpool let the wind out of our sails a little. It stifled the momentum we had building at the beginning of the season.

But there really is nothing to panic about. City were top of the league after 10 games last season and people were going on about them being unassailable. They'll falter and we'll have better spells. United will be within touching distance come May and at that stage, the best side will nick it. It could well be them but it won't be a procession.

Negative tactics didn't let the wind out of our sails. Injuries, loss of form by our remaining midfielders and a crappy performance against Huddersfield did.

Those school boy errors at Huddersfield were inexcusable. They had nothing to do with negative tactics.

Massively premature and way too early to say City have the title in the bag as some would have us believe,if they are still unbeaten by april and tearing everyone a new one by that time then yes absolute credit where its due,but, lets see how they react to pressure,loss of form,injuries and perhaps another team who suddenly find a red hot streak of form.what we do know is that pep is fragile under pressure so lets not get carried away about a team that is so far carving everyone else up barely out of october!!!! it truly is a marathon,not a sprint!!!

City have by and large been lucky in terms for injuries so far (bar Mendy, and not counting Kompany who is more often injured then not these days), I wonder how they would cope f for say a whole month they were without both Aguero and Jesus?

They don't have seemingly any other strikers that they could use in their absence.

We have had to make do without a few key players, yet we are still picking up points on a fairly regularly basis.

Five points is a good gap, but on reality, it is nothing, it is less than two victories.

So let's see what the situation is like come January the first, then we will have a far better idea of how each club might do in the second half of the season.

City have by and large been lucky in terms for injuries so far (bar Mendy, and not counting Kompany who is more often injured then not these days), I wonder how they would cope f for say a whole month they were without both Aguero and Jesus?

They don't have seemingly any other strikers that they could use in their absence.

We have had to make do without a few key players, yet we are still picking up points on a fairly regularly basis.

Five points is a good gap, but on reality, it is nothing, it is less than two victories.

So let's see what the situation is like come January the first, then we will have a far better idea of how each club might do in the second half of the season.
City without Aguero AND Jesus is the same as you without Ibra and Lukaku, both sides would struggle.

Thats a bit silly they have sulva who can play a false 9 and sterling or sane could play there even de bruyne also if they get an injury the january window is there.

Knowing Pep, is gonna use a CM as striker.

If Arsenal can grab a result vs City this weekend, you just know us and Chelsea will be so up for it to try and gain ground of them.

Reckon it'll be a feisty affair.

They will probably struggle. But their top scorer right now is Sterling on 9 goals and Sane is on as many as Aguero and Jesus - 8. They do not depend on one or even two goalscorers which is probably the most impressive bit about their attack now. The goals are being spread around the team.

Do you lot see United hitting the 90 point mark this season? Speculation but if not, then you could argue City need 62 points from 28 games to win it.

21 wins, 7 losses is enough (63). I don’t see us losing 7, so perhaps more reasonably something like 19 wins, 5 draws, 4 losses (62). Looking at that, because of our start the 90 point mark is possible even with a hefty blip of form. You can afford to drop points every one in three games and still meet it.

Maybe United can match it and 90 won’t be enough. It would be unlucky for a side to hit 90 points and not take the title.

Do you lot see United hitting the 90 point mark this season? Speculation but if not, then you could argue City need 62 points from 28 games to win it.

21 wins, 7 losses is enough (63). I don’t see us losing 7, so perhaps more reasonably something like 19 wins, 5 draws, 4 losses (62). Looking at that, because of our start the 90 point mark is possible even with a hefty blip of form. You can afford to drop points every one in three games and still meet it.

Maybe United can match it and 90 won’t be enough. It would be unlucky for a side to hit 90 points and not take the title.

You will likely end around 90. I think for us to win it we need to reach those numbers as well.

Hopefully the christmas and winter period could help us. I do personally feel we are more likely to be the team dropping points when it comes, but it is less predictable than the start in which Man City always seem to start so well.

Season 11/12 you won 61 pts from the last 28 games and nearly lost the title. Difficult to predict how many pts would suffice but given that you won 78 pts with a poor keeper and full backs last season 90 pts are reasonable to expect. If Kane doesn't miss more than 3-4 games, Spurs are capable of it too. They won 86 pts last season with Kane missing 2 months due to injuries.

And it's the famous second season for Jose, so the title challenge may well go to the wire.

Last edited:
You are in a dreamland.

I think there is a possibility here. Wenger won't park the bus but you'll at least have a game plan going forward. Worse teams have asked questions of City's defense. Plus they play Napoli away midweek without the luxury of resting too many players. Wenger will probably send out the third string team in your Europa tie, leaving everyone fresh for City. Still advantage City based on form, but there is a chance.

I think there is a possibility here. Wenger won't park the bus but you'll at least have a game plan going forward. Worse teams have asked questions of City's defense. Plus they play Napoli away midweek without the luxury of resting too many players. Wenger will probably send out the third string team in your Europa tie, leaving everyone fresh for City. Still advantage City based on form, but there is a chance.
That's a good point and we have a good record in term of results against City, but they look so up for it this season.

They key is not to play Xhaka in this game or our midfield will get overrun.

That's a good point and we have a good record in term of results against City, but they look so up for it this season.

They key is not to play Xhaka in this game or our midfield will get overrun.

Saw this tweet somewhere, but both De Bruyne and Ozil have created the same amount of chances this season (30).

Status
Not open for further replies.