The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have only won one in the last nine meetings v Arsenal, so wouldn't say dreamland. Granted we are a dif animal this campaign.
The reasons i am being pessimistic are your current form and the fact we tend to win more due to the opponents's fault rather than us playing well.

We have only won one in the last nine meetings v Arsenal, so wouldn't say dreamland. Granted we are a dif animal this campaign.

Alternatively you could say City have Won3 Drawn2 Lost1 of the last 6 home league games against Arsenal.

It's that period in late December up until the FA cup when the matches come thick and fast that can derail teams, injuries and red cards leading to three match bans.
A couple of losses and the doubts creep in as the negative psychology creeps in.

Following footy some thirty years and at this stage ten points advantages can be caught.

City basically already won the title.
They're playing the best football in PL history.

It's like everyone knew Barcelona will win the league when they were invincible under Pep, and they did win the league.
Perhaps United will turn up the gear with Zlatan and Pogba being back, but Pogba doesn't seem to be coming back soon.

It's like everyone knew Barcelona will win the league when they were invincible under Pep, and they did win the league.
Perhaps United will turn up the gear with Zlatan and Pogba being back, but Pogba doesn't seem to be coming back soon.

:lol::wenger::rolleyes:

Err.. What ?

Arsenal 2004 ? Chelsea 2005-2006 ? United 2008 ? Chelsea 2010 ?

Err.. What ?

Arsenal 2004 ? Chelsea 2005-2006 ? United 2008 ? Chelsea 2010 ?

City might well win the title but it's truly stupid after 10 league games anyone to claim this side is the best at anything

City might well win the title but it's truly stupid after 10 league games anyone to claim this side is the best at anything

It's crazy. When will people start saying they're one of the best teams in history overall ?

Regrettably I doubt you can look past Arsenal's invincibles as the team that played the best football in the PL
As for best team ever in the PL then it's hard to look past our 99 side, again Arsenal's 04 team, Chelsea's 05 and then our 2008

This City side doesn't come close to any of those sides under any circumstances

Regrettably I doubt you can look past Arsenal's invincibles as the team that played the best football in the PL
As for best team ever in the PL then it's hard to look past our 99 side, again Arsenal's 04 team, Chelsea's 05 and then our 2008

This City side doesn't come close to any of those sides under any circumstances
Bitterness. This City side is a once in a generation side, playing football we've never seen in the PL. This side makes Arsenals 04 invisibles look like current Everton. I can't even get through city games anymore, I passed out half way through the west brom game such was the glorious football on offer. Goodness knows what waits in store for us against Arsenal on Sunday.
I know it's 9 games into the season but City have been smashing everyone as McManaman pointed out, well apart from West Brom, Napoli, Shaktar, Wolves, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Brighton and Everton but everyone else has been destroyed. There's even been rumours of people in attendance passing out from watching Kevin De Bruyne playing through balls.

another spin would be to say we've only lost 2 out of the last 10 in the league v Arsenal

Just consider KDB gets a serious injury in December and then Fernandinho gets a three match suspension in the FA cup, a few adverse results and suddenly it's a war of nerves at the top.
Nothing is certain at this stage though City are in pole position and playing very well.

City are strong, but no one will ever match that Barca side.

Two teams in the past had virtually the same start to the season like City: Chelsea 05/06 and City 11/12. They both won the title with 91 and 89 pts respectively. United nearly won it in 11/12 though. It may go to the wire again. Think that at least 90 pts will be needed to stop City from winning it.

City winning away at West Brom was annoying, expected more from a Pulis side at home.

Sunday Supplement had an segment yesterday discussing whether the City team is the best in PL history.

Granted, the consensus was that they need to do more before they can be compared to Utd '99 and '08, Arsenal '04 etc, but the fact it's up for debate after they've played 10 games is just ridiculous.

Bitterness. This City side is a once in a generation side, playing football we've never seen in the PL. This side makes Arsenals 04 invisibles look like current Everton. I can't even get through city games anymore, I passed out half way through the west brom game such was the glorious football on offer. Goodness knows what waits in store for us against Arsenal on Sunday.
I know it's 9 games into the season but City have been smashing everyone as McManaman pointed out, well apart from West Brom, Napoli, Shaktar, Wolves, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Brighton and Everton but everyone else has been destroyed. There's even been rumours of people in attendance passing out from watching Kevin De Bruyne playing through balls.

This city side is not matching the Manchester United 2007-9 sides or 1999-00 sides in Premier League. Manchester United dominated the league for 3 years with likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea as challengers. Since 2009, no team can defend the EPL after crowned as the champions, United 2007-09 side is the last team who defended league. They also reached the champions league final twice in a row and 3 final in 4 years. 1999-00 season, Manchester United walked the league with nearly 20 points ahead of their second team placed.

I think they both play different tactically. if United started playing same way City are playing this season, they would smash everyone. City's tactical is superior to Manchester United 2007-9 but United's first team is much stronger than City.

This city side is not matching the Manchester United 2007-9 sides or 1999-00 sides in Premier League. Manchester United dominated the league for 3 years with likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea as challengers. Since 2009, no team can defend the EPL after crowned as the champions, United 2007-09 side is the last team who defended league. They also reached the champions league final twice in a row and 3 final in 4 years. 1999-00 season, Manchester United walked the league with nearly 20 points ahead of their second team placed.

I think they both play different tactically. if United started playing same way City are playing this season, they would smash everyone. City's tactical is superior to Manchester United 2007-9 but United's first team is much stronger than City.

He's sarcastic.

City have already won the title because they had the same time last year too.

When Jose's Chelsea won 95 pts (04/05), they were on 23 pts after 10 games - as many as United now - and 2 pts adrift from Arsenal.

Oh it’s over then.

Pack it up lads, cya in 2018/19

Read again.

Chelsea broke the record for most points season 2004/05 after having an identical start to United this season.

Your comparison with last season doesn't quite hold water but your general point is fine.

Last edited:
Just consider KDB gets a serious injury in December and then Fernandinho gets a three match suspension in the FA cup, a few adverse results and suddenly it's a war of nerves at the top.
Nothing is certain at this stage though City are in pole position and playing very well.

..and consider Lukaku does his ACL and Matic gets a straight red in December:nervous:

ifs and buts apply either way

Brilliant :lol:

There is a widespread opinion that everytime Jose wins the title his team tops the league already from the first games. Actually, his first title with Chelsea, when they broke the record for most points, came after they were trailing Arsenal with 5 pts after 9 games. Then Arsenal lost and already after 12 games Chelsea were top of the league. So, it's more accurate to say that everytme Jose has won the league, his team has not trailed the leader well into the season, i.e. after 12-15 games. If City continue to lead (with 5 or more pts) come Christmas, then Jose has to do something that he hasn't done in his career yet.

No team has failed to win the PL title with 28 points from their first 10 games as City extended their club record run to 13 consecutive wins in all competitions and eight in a row in the Premier League.

Last edited:
No team has failed to win the title with 28 points from their first 10 games as City extended their club record run to 13 consecutive wins in all competitions and eight in a row in the Premier League.

Yes they have. You mean PL title.

All done now, 8 points is too much for any team to claw back without dropping further points themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.