The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They already are according to Sky
Both United and Spurs are good value at the best odds of 15/1 and 12/1 respectively, when they both probably have around a slightly greater than 10% chance of winning the title each. City have to be viewed as massively favourites now though already.

Tottenham have no back up to Kane if he gets injured.

Chelsea don't have enough after Morata (in his first season anyway).

We will have Zlatan as back up to Lukaku.

But City have Aguero and Jesus..... and the rest..

Kane is rarely injured and also doesn't take much time returning to form even when he's injured. Son did very well in Kane's absence last season and they have Llorente to add this season as well. They'll have more problems if Eriksen is injured.

Chelsea I agree really need Morata to stay fit.

City might start winning by 2 instead of 5 IF Aguero and Jesus are both injured at the same time, but I don't really see that happening.

Interested to see how City do against Arsenal next week. I think they match up quite well against this City team.

While it seems really improbable, if we can get a win at the Bridge, it will be a huge shot up the arm. We are due a half-decent performance there after years of misery.

City may win the title, but we should make them work for it.

While it seems really improbable, if we can get a win at the Bridge, it will be a huge shot up the arm. We are due a half-decent performance there after years of misery.

When was our last win at SB?

We're due a result at the Bridge for sure, things rarely go our way when we play down there. Still I'd take a draw if offered, 5 points from Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea (2 of those games away from home) would be more than acceptable if you ask me.

We're due a result at the Bridge for sure, things rarely go our way when we play down there. Still I'd take a draw if offered, 5 points from Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea (2 of those games away from home) would be more than acceptable if you ask me.

That would've been the case hadn't we lost to Huddersfield. Now obviously I won't be devastated with a draw at the Bridge but I sure hope we are going there for the three points and not for a draw a la Anfield.

It's going to need perfection to win the title this season. More so than any other before. The 2 games against City will be crucial. We need positive results until we meet in December. In any other season we would be clear favourites to win the title but City have reached another level this season and it's going to take perfection from us to push them all the way. They have had it easy in terms of injuries so far and I feel that they will drop points over the Christmas period. We must be in a position to capitalize when that happens.

We've kept ourselves in the mixer, while re-assuring ourselves we can beat the better teams.

Get through the Chelsea game 5-7 points behind City and we're still in it, with another tough game chalked off.

Wonder how close Pogba, Fellaini and Ibra are.

Last I recall was the 3-2 in 12/13 where Torres got sent off for diving and Chicharito scored a suspect winner.

Wasn't that the game they had 2 sent off?

So it took 2 sendings off, and a dodgy goal to win there. That says it all!

Certainly think if we keep within 5-8 points of City and maintain the good defensive record, then we'll at least be one of the sides coming up behind them into the final third of the season.

City are bound to have a few poorer matches at some stage.

Only think that concerns me is that Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and even Liverpool are still not that far away from ourselves. It's a tight one this year.

Wasn't that the game they had 2 sent off?

So it took 2 sendings off, and a dodgy goal to win there. That says it all!
:lol: Yeah, I think that was the game where Chelsea/Mikel accused the ref of being a racist, too.

Though, to be fair, I thought we were the better team that game. I remember that season us going to both City and Chelsea, scoring 2, conceding 2, and then getting a dodgy winner in both. All this talk about how we fare in the big games under José reminded me of that period as I do think us going to their grounds and winning (playing well to boot) propelled us to our title winning run of games.

What makes a poor run of games for them inevitable?
I think it's not an unreasonable assumption that teams will have a poor patch at some point. We were flying in the first couple of months in the season and it only took us two relatively poor games to lag behind. A season is long, anything can happen. City may play well now but a couple of injuries can disrupt their rhythm easily.

We need atleast a draw at the Bridge, although could do with a win really. Would be different had we won at Huddersfield, but it is what it is.

As others have said, we need to be there applying pressure to City so that when they do stumble, we can capitalise. We have both fixtures 2 play vs them mind you, so there's a lot to influence ourselves but for now I'm not sure how I feel about Chelsea. As far as history goes, we're poor at the Bridge. But Chelsea have looked vulnerable on many a occasion this season.

Also feel this is one of their least potent attacks for a while. They are very effective and clinical, but easier to contain for the large part.

We need to manage not to concede in the first min at Stamford Bridge this year, or the game plan is absolutely stuffed.

Certainly think if we keep within 5-8 points of City and maintain the good defensive record, then we'll at least be one of the sides coming up behind them into the final third of the season.

City are bound to have a few poorer matches at some stage.

Only think that concerns me is that Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and even Liverpool are still not that far away from ourselves. It's a tight one this year.
City are playing below par at the moment. Surprised that they've not dropped some points in last 2 PL games.

Can't believe a number of people writing us off. No one remembers what happened in 2011/12? Manchester City got 5 points ahead of us in the first 10 games then we got 5 points ahead of City in 34 games and favourite to win the league with 4 games left because of our fixture and who we going to face against. Drewing with Everton cost us a title and gifted 3 points to Manchester City. we equalled City on points and City won the league by difference+

N2WhE

Last I recall was the 3-2 in 12/13 where Torres got sent off for diving and Chicharito scored a suspect winner.

Was that the game where DDG made the absolutely outrageous save from Mata’s attempt right in the corner? Always felt like that was the moment everybody outside of United fans realised that DDG was something else.

Was that the game where DDG made the absolutely outrageous save from Mata’s attempt right in the corner? Always felt like that was the moment everybody outside of United fans realised that DDG was something else.
Might be. I remember Mata scoring a free kick that game but don't really remember if de Gea's save was from the same game.

Can't believe a number of people writing us off. No one remembers what happened in 2011/12? Manchester City got 5 points ahead of us in the first 10 games then we got 5 points ahead of City in 34 games and favourite to win the league with 4 games left because of our fixture and who we going to face against. Drewing with Everton cost us a title and gifted 3 points to Manchester City. we equalled City on points and City won the league by difference+

N2WhE

I think we’re all doing our best to forget that season. Our biggest cock up in the Fergie era. An inexplicable collapse to gift it to City.

Might be. I remember Mata scoring a free kick that game but don't really remember if de Gea's save was from the same game.

The save was the year before in the 3-3. Mata went for the other side the year after from the same position, and beat De Gea in the 3-2 win.

N2WhE

hopefully we dont get 6-1 at OT december

I think we’re all doing our best to forget that season. Our biggest cock up in the Fergie era. An inexplicable collapse to gift it to City.
:lol: True!
Yeah I remember the free kick goal, and I think it was the same game. Good times, either way!
I remember in that and the City away games we played Rooney as pretty much a CM alongside Cleverley and Carrick and it worked a treat. I thought Sir Alex got the tactics spot on in both.

The save was the year before in the 3-3. Mata went for the other side the year after from the same position, and beat De Gea in the 3-2 win.
Yeah, I thought it might've been that game.

Lol, we should get revenge on this for 2011/12

On other hands, all our injury player is recovering and may be fully fit for November. City's defence is not looking good at the moment, they conceded 2 goals each in last two EPL game against Stoke City and West Brom. That's why it is still too early to say who would win.

Not to mention that Jose Mourinho always wins the league with every team in his second season at a club.

Lol, we should get revenge on this for 2011/12

On other hands, all our injury player is recovering and may be fully fit for November. City's defence is not looking good at the moment, they conceded 2 goals each in last two EPL game against Stoke City and West Brom. That's why it is still too early to say who would win.

Not to mention that Jose Mourinho always wins the league with every team in his second season at a club.

Yeah we've conceded 4 goals in the last 3 but scored 13 so hey ho.

I think there is a, massive difference in this team compared to the 2011/12 team, we've a better manager and better players so I'd be surprised if we had a rough spell like we did that season, I also don't think United are as good a team as that season either

I reckon next week we'll beat Chelsea and Arsenal will beat City. We'll go 2 points behind them and thats the start of their demise. Teams will know how to set up against them. By Christmas we'll be 8 points clear.

I genuinely don't see where City will drop points, it certainly won't be next week so I'm probably looking at the derby in December by which time we'll probably be further than 5 points away from them

Last week was truly damaging

I reckon next week we'll beat Chelsea and Arsenal will beat City. We'll go 2 points behind them and thats the start of their demise. Teams will know how to set up against them. By Christmas we'll be 8 points clear.

Wow. Very optimistic. But then again you might be right.

And then the whistle blew.

City will drop points. They'll have a dodgy spell and an injury to De Bruyne or Otamendi would hurt them badly. We've had a dodgy spell (and will have more), we've had an unlucky injury spell. We've scored more goals than anyone but City and conceded fewer than anyone at all.

Two weeks ago everyone was saying "wait until United have played a proper team". Well now we've played two and taken 4 points without our best player and without playing at all well. My biggest worry would be that employing negative tactics against Liverpool let the wind out of our sails a little. It stifled the momentum we had building at the beginning of the season.

But there really is nothing to panic about. City were top of the league after 10 games last season and people were going on about them being unassailable. They'll falter and we'll have better spells. United will be within touching distance come May and at that stage, the best side will nick it. It could well be them but it won't be a procession.

Yeah we've conceded 4 goals in the last 3 but scored 13 so hey ho.

I think there is a, massive difference in this team compared to the 2011/12 team, we've a better manager and better players so I'd be surprised if we had a rough spell like we did that season, I also don't think United are as good a team as that season either

Are you kidding? 2017/18 United side is superior to that season, especially defence and midfield. 11/12 side is ageing squad and needs to overhaul squad but SAF made them looking world beater team and know how to win a game.

if City keeps doing like this in last 2 EPL games for next 5 games or so, they probably would draw or lose but they need to sort out their defence tactics before it going to get worse much. Some lesser team like Watford can pull off a shock against arsenal to score in 90+ minute. If West Brom can pull off a shock, they'd drew with City.

I'll have whatever you're drinking mate.

Are you kidding? 2017/18 United side is superior to that season, especially defence and midfield. 11/12 side is ageing squad and needs to overhaul squad but SAF made them looking world beater team and know how to win a game.

if City keeps doing like this in last 2 EPL games for next 5 games or so, they probably would draw or lose but they need to sort out their defence tactics before it going to get worse much. Some lesser team like Watford can pull off a shock against arsenal to score in 90+ minute. If West Brom can pull off a shock, they'd drew with City.

What? I don't understand that last sentence at all. West Brom pulled off a defeat. Had Otamendi not gotten complacent no one would be questioning our defence at all. We've conceded less goal than the much praised Spurs back 4/5 this season. Watford may pull off a shock v Arsenal but City beat them by 6. yes any team in the league can pull off a shock vs City, the issue is they are just as likely (possibly more likely) to pull one off v United because United don't put these teams to bed.

If City play there next 5 games at the current rate they'll concede 3 goal, pretty sure only conceding 3 in 5 games would see us maintain our current points average or at worst drop maybe 2 points as whatever about Southampton... Arsenal, WestHam, Huddersfield and Leicester are unlikely not to concede vs us.

Status
Not open for further replies.