The Title Race 2017/18 | Done and dusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 out of 6 would be acceptable but that means city could be 7 points ahead of us and that is too much. They have to start dropping points soon. I am pretty sure they will have a run of games where they start dropping points continuously. But we have to make sure we do not let the gap increase more than 5pts.

They only have one big game till they meet us and that's against Arsenal. Let's hope Wenger pulls out something in this game.

We'll have to defeat them as well. If they defeated us at OT then, well...

I’ll be amazed if United take 4+ from your next 2 games, that would be a fantastic return, especially with a CL fixture in between. Arguably 2 of the toughest games of the season.

We got 3 points from the equivalent fixtures last season, and Chelsea are definitely worse than last season so a park the bus job isnt out of the question.

We got 3 points from the equivalent fixtures last season, and Chelsea are definitely worse than last season so a park the bus job isnt out of the question.
Last season doesn’t mean anything now, not sure why that’s even an indicator. You could definitely take 4-6 points, I just think that’d be a great return. I wouldn’t be surprised to see you park the bus in both games to some extent.

Last season doesn’t mean anything now, not sure why that’s even an indicator. You could definitely take 4-6 points, I just think that’d be a great return. I wouldn’t be surprised to see you park the bus in both games to some extent.
Yes it will be a great return and that is why this Huddersfield result was disastrous. People here were moaning after Scouse game, well the real heartbreak was yesterday. Had we got our 3 points, I would have taken a draw against chelsea but now even 4 out of 6 points seems a lost cause as I cannot see you lot dropping points at WBA and against arsenal.

Manchester are clear favorites to win the title and they should have been in the previous seasons too. Chelsea and United have already lost too many points to cover up for the rest of the season. We had to go on that incredible run of 13 wins in a row to just win the title. I don't expect us or United to emulate anything close to that this season.

Manchester are just too good. They will win it.

What's this about, then?

Yes it will be a great return and that is why this Huddersfield result was disastrous. People here were moaning after Scouse game, well the real heartbreak was yesterday. Had we got our 3 points, I would have taken a draw against chelsea but now even 4 out of 6 points seems a lost cause as I cannot see you lot dropping points at WBA and against arsenal.
I think we’ll beat Arsenal but I’m actually nervous about WBA. It’s a banana skin if ever I saw one, and we are due a loss. I thought we looked a yard slower against Burnley and perhaps the first sign of tiredness. We’ve got a midweek game while they get a full weeks rest.

Of course last season means something, do you think Mourinho and Pochettino will not analyze last seasons games, they are not idiots.

Correct me if im wrong but you are buying too much into the fan rhetoric of new season new team and also form/momentum. Players and managers are not like fans that wipe the slate clean at the beginning of the season they are constantly trying to adapt and improve; and a big part of that is to look at their past performances.

More twists in the top race will come sooner or later. It's destined to happen each season.

Let's see how it'll go on.

Of course last season means something, do you think Mourinho and Pochettino will not analyze last seasons games, they are not idiots.

Correct me if im wrong but you are buying too much into the fan rhetoric of new season new team and also form/momentum. Players and managers are not like fans that wipe the slate clean at the beginning of the season they are constantly trying to adapt and improve; and a big part of that is to look at their past performances.
You used getting 3 points from those fixtures last season as an indicator for getting 4+ this year because you’ve improved. If football was that simple then it’d be pointless to watch. City beat United at OT last year and improved this season... may as well not watch that when it comes around.

You used getting 3 points from those fixtures last season as an indicator for getting 4+ this year because you’ve improved. If football was that simple then it’d be pointless to watch. City beat United at OT last year and improved this season... may as well not watch that when it comes around.

I think you might need a dictionary. Expectation implies some sort of risk and probability.

Last season we drew to mediocre teams like Swansea, Everton, West Ham, but this season we have smashed these same teams. Any rational person would say that this is an improvement. An irrational person would say, 'well that was last season so that doesnt mean anything, its football and anything can happen you know.'

The fact that losing to huddersfield has caused a meltdown is the exception that proves the rule; we have beaten teams on the level of Huddersfield this season with ease. That means that something went wrong at Huddersfield and fans are trying to work that out.

I expect to beat Tottenham because our home form is very good, we beat them last season, the Manager has a good record against Poch and they have not massively improved their first team. This doesnt mean I know that we will win because I'm not a fecking time traveler.

I expect to beat Tottenham because our home form is very good, we beat them last season, the Manager has a good record against Poch and they have not massively improved their first team. This doesnt mean I know that we will win because I'm not a fecking time traveler.
All valid points. I don’t care enough about the point you’ve decided to pick on to keep going. Last seasons results for me are irrelevant now, for you they’re not, that’s fine.

So the current situation at the bookies is pretty much like last february when Chelsea got their 10 point lead in February.

Betfair just now:

City: 1/5
Us: 12/1
You: 14/1
Chavs: 20/1

No need for any activity in this thread until something changes. ^^

Long way to go but Mourinho does not exactly inspire confidence given his pragmatism,seems a helluva long time ago when we had a manager who would just say to the players express and enjoy yourselves!!

I think spurs could come good this year they have a prolific forward in kane a solid defence .two combative midfields and flair in ali and erikson.they are turning into a very consistent outfit who will only get better.it wont be a cake walk for city and the next couple of weeks could shape the way the prem mat pan out.for me top 3 will be spurs city, chelsea with us trailing in 4th.

City are clear favorites as I expected before the season started but I think Spurs will push City until the end. Us, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea will fight for 3-6th spots.

I think spurs could come good this year they have a prolific forward in kane a solid defence .two combative midfields and flair in ali and erikson.they are turning into a very consistent outfit who will only get better.it wont be a cake walk for city and the next couple of weeks could shape the way the prem mat pan out.for me top 3 will be spurs city, chelsea with us trailing in 4th.

Well the Wembley problems have been laid to rest, was always going to take a little bit of time to adjust. Their injuries are all returning over the next month or so, Lamela, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele which will give them a massive lift in midfield. They are forced to play Winks in there atm, who tbf has done ok. But at the end of the day is an inexperienced youth prospect who has just come back from a long injury layoff himself.

They have a pretty well balanced side. The only thing they are missing is genuine pace up top. Eriksen, Kane, Alli, Lamela, none of these players are overly pacey. Son is really the only player in their lineup with a bit of zip up top. But it hasnt seemed to hamper their game at all. I think they just need that x factor player, like if they still had Bale.

Manchester are just too good. They will win it.
Manchester are clear favorites to win the title and they should have been in the previous seasons too. Chelsea and United have already lost too many points to cover up for the rest of the season. We had to go on that incredible run of 13 wins in a row to just win the title. I don't expect us or United to emulate anything close to that this season.
feck is this?

Kevin De Bruyne will win it for Manchester. Their whole team is class, to be fair.

I think trying to break into top 4 will be a real challenge for us. Title can wait for now. That's our real aim.
Yeah we are crap because the last two games. Doesn't matter that Arsenal and Liverpool have both been miles worse and we are actually 2nd.

Yeah we are crap because the last two games. Doesn't matter that Arsenal and Liverpool have both been miles worse and we are actually 2nd.

Yeah because those two are our title challengers

Yeah because those two are our title challengers

Well if "top 4 is going to be real challenge" then you must think there are 4 teams that are good enough to make it a "good challenge". I don't think there are. City and Spurs are better than us, Cheslea are probably as good as us or better too, the rest of the league is worse though.

We might not win the league but I don't think we will struggle to make top 4 at all. I think we will finish 4th but won't be surprised if we make a title challenge. I think City will not run away with it.

City the favourite, Spurs will challenge too. United should be looking at top4 sadly.

Oh give me a break mate. The season has only just started and we’ve only lost one blooming game. Granted the Huddersfield result did upset me but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be plenty more surprises. This UTD team IS capable of winning the league for sure and we will be up there come May. Ridiculous to think people are writing us off already.

Well if "top 4 is going to be real challenge" then you must think there are 4 teams that are good enough to make it a "good challenge". I don't think there are. City and Spurs are better than us, Cheslea are probably as good as us or better too, the rest of the league is worse though.

We might not win the league but I don't think we will struggle to make top 4 at all. I think we will finish 4th but won't be surprised if we make a title challenge. I think City will not run away with it.

Yeah I agree with that analysis. What I meant was that if the title looks a write off with this squad then that is the only real challenge left isn't it - whether easy or not.

I know we all think it's premature to write off our title hopes because City will inevitably drop off - but I can just see us constantly failing to take advantage of such failings. Something about us doesn't quite scream title winning material.

Think we need four points from the next two games to show our real title credentials. A tough ask but not impossible by any stretch.

City are a bit ahead but Spurs suddenly isn't because of one weekend. If we win next weekend, does the narrative change again? We are ahead of them isn't it? They are a good team no doubt but nothing definitively tells me that Chelsea or Us wouldn't finish ahead of them.

Oh give me a break mate. The season has only just started and we’ve only lost one blooming game. Granted the Huddersfield result did upset me but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be plenty more surprises. This UTD team IS capable of winning the league for sure and we will be up there come May. Ridiculous to think people are writing us off already.
Just look at the way we play and tell me that is a title winning team, our attack is essentially still wank despite some 4-0 wins which we had under Moyes as well. You'll be surprised near May, we have played two excellent matches in the league so far, West Ham and Crystal Palace, the other ones were all worrying for the biggest part of the game.

Just look at the way we play and tell me that is a title winning team, our attack is essentially still wank despite some 4-0 wins which we had under Moyes as well. You'll be surprised near May, we have played two excellent matches in the league so far, West Ham and Crystal Palace, the other ones were all worrying for the biggest part of the game.
I don't think any of those big wins were worrying at any stage. Frustrating perhaps, but when we got the breakthrough we steamrolled them. Its also telling that our change in fortune comes when Pogba isn't playing. Get him back fit and we'll look more convincing.

Doesn't matter what you're saying but the gist of it is this... the opinion of thousands shouldn't be trusted but the opinion of one blinkered Spurs fan who finds an offhand comment about United being more likely to come second offensive is more legit? Using the bookies to justify an opinion (which shows clearly thousands agree with me) is much less a fools errand than using an illogical opinion of a blinkered fan.

Please... The difference in who United have signed in those 2 years while not much has changed at Spurs. If you can't wrap your head around or understand why United are more fancied for second than you guys I give up....

The above is what you posted 1 week ago. Today the bookies make Spurs 2nd favourites ahead of United, so do you still stick to your faith in "the opinion of thousands"? If so, how do you explain why their view now differs from yours.

As for me, I stick with it being a fool's errand to cite bookies' odds, especially at this stage of the season, as evidence of who is - or is not - closest to being title challengers.

I don't think any of those big wins were worrying at any stage. Frustrating perhaps, but when we got the breakthrough we steamrolled them. Its also telling that our change in fortune comes when Pogba isn't playing. Get him back fit and we'll look more convincing.
You dont think it is worrying that Pogba, Martial, Miki, Lukaku all were struggling very heavily until the opponent opened up to try and get a goal? Because that is essantially what was happening.

We played some poor stuff when Pogba was fit too, we ended games nicely but so did we after Pogba got injured. Since Liverpool our luck has simply run out and the results are identical to the performances.

This wouldnt be the 1st false dawn under Mourinho.

You dont think it is worrying that Pogba, Martial, Miki, Lukaku all were struggling very heavily until the opponent opened up to try and get a goal? Because that is essantially what was happening.

We played some poor stuff when Pogba was fit too, we ended games nicely but so did we after Pogba got injured. Since Liverpool our luck has simply run out and the results are identical to the performances.

This wouldnt be the 1st false dawn under Mourinho.
They were struggling for sure but mostly because those teams set up defensively against us. The thing is that we kept probing until we broke them down and Pogba was instrumental in those games because he could pick out quick long range passes to drag the defense about. We didn't do that against huddersfield.

I've calmed down a little since Saturday now however it's obvious that the next few weeks are vital if we want to challenge for the title, nothing less than 6 points from our next 2 games is good enough

Hopefully we can put a swift end to the media love in over Spurs after yesterday's game (WTF they're suddenly City's biggest threat?) and Chelsea are there for the taking this season as well suffice to say though we need our injured players back if we are to get 6 out of 6 (Bailly and Pogba especially)

I've calmed down a little since Saturday now however it's obvious that the next few weeks are vital if we want to challenge for the title, nothing less than 6 points from our next 2 games is good enough

Hopefully we can put a swift end to the media love in over Spurs after yesterday's game (WTF they're suddenly City's biggest threat?) and Chelsea are there for the taking this season as well suffice to say though we need our injured players back if we are to get 6 out of 6 (Bailly and Pogba especially)
I reckon we need 7 points from Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea, while winning whatever game is in between them. These next 5-7 fixtures could either give us the boost we need to challenge or see us slip into a top 4 battle.

Although you may be right. Slip up in either of the next two and we could be 7-10 points behind City.

We're capable of besting both teams. Time to see whether Joses united are the real deal now or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.