The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it drivel? Do you honestly think not playing at WHL this season didn't cost us at least 4 points in the league? I don't think it's a big leap of faith to suggest it has impacted on our points total. It's amazing to see United fans completely disregarding playing a season at Wembley like it's nothing. Of course it impacted our points total. We simply did not have our normal home stadium to play in. It's beyond debate that it negatively impacted our season especially early on in the season when we dropped points.

I don't think you outplayed us in the semi final either and I could easily point to the demolition job we did on you at Wembley in the league to say we are a better side. In any case I wasn't saying we are a better side than you, just that I do think if we were at WHL this season we'd have finished 2nd. Being at Wembley definitely cost us points over the season.

Funny how it didnt impact you in CL eh? Played against Madrid, Dortmund and won both games. lead against Juventus before 10 mins of madness changed everything.

Nice excuses though.

I guess they were playing at Wembley in 2015-16 and 2014-15 too.

Think they played at Wembley only when they dropped points. they played at half built WHL against Madrid and Dortmund.

Eh? Then you have to check your home record. Only last season was exception, this season you had more points than Poch's first 2 seasons at home. It's not as if WHL was like Stamford bridge under Jose (first term) or Old trafford under SAF.

I see what your trying to do, but your totally ignoring that as a team we were progressing so you could argue that the performance would have stayed the season before or even improved. A 4 season sample isn't conclusive of anything.

Yes and we finished 17 points behind you in the 16-17 season. That's a 21 points difference. Massive.

Yep you improved massively but our reduced points total, at least some of that is down to being at Wembley. It goes against all footballing logic to suggest a team not playing at their usual home stadium will not expect a negative impact on 'home' performances and results and thus points won. From where I sit, I think both United and Spurs will need to improve considerably to mount a genuine title challenge next season. We are pretty much starting from similar positions.

That's all I'm allowed to post today (5 limit). If you want to continue this debate please like my post :D;)

Funny how it didnt impact you in CL eh? Played against Madrid, Dortmund and won both games. lead against Juventus before 10 mins of madness changed everything.

Nice excuses though.

According to most of the Caf Madrid and Dortmund were shit and it was no real achievement.

I see what your trying to do, but your totally ignoring that as a team we were progressing so you could argue that the performance would have stayed the season before or even improved. A 4 season sample isn't conclisive of anything.

yeah, 4 season sample isn't conclusive but your 1 season sample size is very conclusive.

In 2010-11 ManUtd had the best home record probably in Europe top 5 leagues, won 18 and drew 1 (55 points) in 19 games. Next season we had 47 points only.

Football is not that simple to say if we played here and there we would have smashed these teams.

yeah, 4 season sample isn't conclusive but your 1 season sample size is very conclusive.

In 2010-11 ManUtd had the best home record probably in Europe top 5 leagues, won 18 and drew 1 (55 points) in 19 games. Next season we had 47 points only.

Football is not that simple to say if we played here and there we would have smashed these teams.

I've said that it is not a sure thing, but to suggest the idea as being drivel isn't correct. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I'm happy with our finish in the league.

Well yeah maybe if you think that playing at your established home makes no difference to your performances, because that's what your saying. I don't get why some United fans are getting so worked up about it, at the end of the day you finished 2nd and deserved it.

It's better than your "we would have beat them all at WHL" argument, as if you guys didn't drop points at WHL before. 45 points or something you got this season is much better than average points at WHL in Poch's 3 seasons.

I see what your trying to do, but your totally ignoring that as a team we were progressing so you could argue that the performance would have stayed the season before or even improved. A 4 season sample isn't conclusive of anything.

Football doesn't work like that. It's not always a upward trajectory.

If you expected Spurs to get more than 53 points in the home season(if you guys played at WHL) and actually break the record for highest number of home points in 38 game PL season, then you expect a lot from this Spurs team.

It's better than your "we would have beat them all at WHL" argument, as if you guys didn't drop points at WHL before. 45 points or something you got this season is much better than average points at WHL in Poch's 3 seasons.

If your going to debate with me at least have the decency to argue my points, I've said nowhere that we would smash them all I'm saying it's far from incomsevable that we would finished with more points.

I've said that it is not a sure thing, but to suggest the idea as being drivel isn't correct. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I'm happy with our finish in the league.

It is drivel. Wembley helped you to beat Manutd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Madrid, Dortmund and nearly Juventus but somehow playing away from WHL means it was disadvantage and you couldn't beat Burnley, Swansea, West Brom, West Ham. fecking hell, just see the clubs against which you dropped points. It's not as if you dropped against big teams to say it was because of WHL factor.

Football doesn't work like that. It's not always a upward trajectory.

If you expected Spurs to get more than 53 points in the home season(if you guys played at WHL) and actually break the record for highest number of home points in 38 game PL season, then you expect a lot from this Spurs team.

Im saying it's a possibility I am NOT saying it's set in stone...... again.

It is drivel. Wembley helped you to beat Manutd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Madrid, Dortmund and nearly Juventus but somehow playing away from WHL means it was disadvantage and you couldn't beat Burnley, Swansea, West Brom, West Ham. fecking hell, just see the clubs against which you dropped points. It's not as if you dropped against big teams to say it was because of WHL factor.

How did Wembley help us beat all them team? Where has that came from? Again we will agree to disagree.

Im saying it's a possibility I am NOT saying it's set in stone...... again.

Then argue that with your fellow Spurs fan who implied that it was set in stone they'd have finished 2nd if you guys were playing at WHL.

How is it a shit post, it's simply the truth? I won't start trawling through this thread cause you know what I'm saying is right, are you saying a lot of people didn't say that?

Because instead of putting an argument you ended up with sarcastic one based on some post made few months back. So do you agree Madrid was a quality team and you had no problem beating them at Wembley? So what stopped your advantage against West Ham, West Brom, Swansea and Burnley?

it's simple. Teams drop points at home, if it's Wembley, WHL or any other team. Sometimes club just smashes every team at home but that's not normal, that's exception. You took your exception season as if it's a normal one.

If your going to debate with me at least have the decency to argue my points, I've said nowhere that we would smash them all I'm saying it's far from incomsevable that we would finished with more points.

You have dropped points against 2 relegated teams and team that was in relegation zone. Wembley or WHL wasn't factor.

How did Wembley help us beat all them team? Where has that came from?

Home ground, more fans, known stadium. Didn't that help at all?

So are you saying Spurs playing ManUtd at Wembely in front of 70000 Spurs fans is same or not any different than Spurs playing ManUtd at Old Trafford in front of 70000 ManUtd fans? Hint, check the records.

Then argue that with your fellow Spurs fan who implied that it was set in stone they'd have finished 2nd if you guys were playing at WHL.

Why should I? They are intitled to their opinions, if you wanna argue it with them tear on. Spurs fans on here are all labelled the same it's crazy :lol:.

Coupled with your ignorance that your bank loan was secured on those increased profits. It’s strange that Spurs Manager, who knows a lot more about what Spurs can spend than you, doesn’t seem to share your confidence.

I imagine that having a new stadium worth many hundreds of millions has a tiny bit to do with loan-security.

Re. Pochettino, I haven't seen any expression of a lack of confidence concerning what Spurs can spend. In fact, concerning this summer and "taking risks" he said "I think Daniel is going to listen to me."

Or a fair minded person would see more than 1 season to base their opinion.

Poch's home record at Spurs
2017-18: 45 points (5th best)
2016-17: 53 points (Best)
2015-16: 36 points (5th best)
2014-15: 33 points (8th best)

So last season was exception rather than norm.

In that case, why are some claiming that Spurs have "declined" because we've slipped from 2nd last season to 3rd this season?

Show some mercy man :lol: Aren't those 4 years the number of years Poch has been at Spurs ? I think if you were to expand it to 10 years your argument would be even stronger not that you needed to add anything more to it.

Home ground, more fans, known stadium. Didn't that help at all?

So are you saying Spurs playing ManUtd at Wembely in front of 70000 Spurs fans is same or not any different than Spurs playing ManUtd at Old Trafford in front of 70000 ManUtd fans? Hint, check the records.

I'd say it's more to do with us getting our tactics right in th league game and you getting them right in the Cup. Again we will agree to disagree because at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as the season is over.

In that case, why are some claiming that Spurs have "declined" because we've slipped from 2nd last season to 3rd this season?

You tell them and argue with them. I don't have access to their minds.

Show some mercy man :lol: Aren't those 4 years the number of years Poch has been at Spurs ? I think if you were to expand it to 10 years your argument would be even stronger not that you needed to add anything more to it.

:D Yeah I took only Poch years, otherwise their season at Wembley will be like Peak Barca season compared to WHL in general.

I do want Spurs to do well.
But as a club they need to be careful. They've been a very good side for a few years now; but ultimately have nothing to show for it. It seems as though they lack a bit of ambition, fans and players alike coming out and saying buzzwords like 'progression' and how they're punching above their weight. That's completely the wrong mindset in my opinion but it seems to surround the club completely.
Unless they're active and forceful in the transfer market I can see them losing a few players and dropping out of the top 4 next year. Making all this talk of 'progression' for nought.

I'd say it's more to do with us getting our tactics right in th league game and you getting them right in the Cup. Again we will agree to disagree because at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as the season is over.

So in the same way we can agree that you dropping points against Swansea, West Brom, West ham was because of players not turning up or manager getting it wrong?

:D Yeah I took only Poch years, otherwise their season at Wembley will be like Peak Barca season compared to WHL in general.
I think they should be even praised for how they turned out what was supposed to be a weakness (playing at Wembley) into a strength and this despite the few shock results. Wembley has helped them a lot. Saying your home stadium hasn't helped your team when said team has reached the highest number of points at home in ages is simply mad.

I think they should be even praised for how they turned out what was supposed to be a weakness (playing at Wembley) into a strength and this despite the few shock results. Wembley has helped them a lot. Saying your home stadium hasn't helped your team when said team has reached the highest number of points at home in ages is simply mad.

Exactly. Also doesn't 70K Spurs fans cheering you on helps you better than 30K fans cheering you on?

big window coming up for Spurs, Moura, Sanchez and Aurier will have a season under their belt and need to step up, for me they really need a top full back if Rose leaves and they're a bit like hens teeth at the moment as everyone is after full backs, possibly another top level striker to help take the load of Kane and a solid CM, I also possibly think they need a new keeper, Lloris levels, for me, have dropped over the last 2 season.

If your going to make big statements at least please make sure they are correct :rolleyes:.

How is it drivel? Do you honestly think not playing at WHL this season didn't cost us at least 4 points in the league? I don't think it's a big leap of faith to suggest it has impacted on our points total. It's amazing to see United fans completely disregarding playing a season at Wembley like it's nothing. Of course it impacted our points total. We simply did not have our normal home stadium to play in. It's beyond debate that it negatively impacted our season especially early on in the season when we dropped points.

I don't think you outplayed us in the semi final either and I could easily point to the demolition job we did on you at Wembley in the league to say we are a better side. In any case I wasn't saying we are a better side than you, just that I do think if we were at WHL this season we'd have finished 2nd. Being at Wembley definitely cost us points over the season.
Surely, having 70,000+ fans supporting you at Wembley is far more advantageous than playing at your old ground?

So if Liverpool win the Champions League, does that mean they've stagnated because they've only finished 4th in the Prem (the same as last season)?

For Spurs, our 'home' record this season has not been as good as last season - a fair-minded person would see that playing at Wembley likely had at least something to do with that. And as I say we did well enough in the CL against far tougher opposition than that faced by most English clubs.

You can say what you want, but Spurs fans don't see a club in decline ... they see a top 3 finish for the 3rd successive season, proof that we can compete with the best in the CL and fantastic new stadium looming on the near horizon.
Just playing by your rules. An argument can be made for Liverpool that they eased off in the league due to getting to a European final. That argument can’t be made for Spurs. Unlike Spurs they also actually strengthened their team in the last year.

I’d say it took a few games to get used to. I think Spurs form has suffered for more reasons that that as I’ve already said. Spurs are not impervious to the same issues that effect every other club in the world. If you don’t strengthen your team and squad regularly you at best stagnate and at worst regress.

I imagine that having a new stadium worth many hundreds of millions has a tiny bit to do with loan-security.

Re. Pochettino, I haven't seen any expression of a lack of confidence concerning what Spurs can spend. In fact, concerning this summer and "taking risks" he said "I think Daniel is going to listen to me."
You can ‘imagine’ what you want. The reality is that the increased profits are what secured the loan and it is that which will be used to pay it back. Unless Spurs intend to sell their expensive stadium to fund their expensive stadium.

It’s strange he feels the need to discuss this in public mind. Almost as if he’s trying to force somebody’s hand a little. If he knew they would he could simply say they will spend significant sums.

Just playing by your rules. An argument can be made for Liverpool that they eased off in the league due to getting to a European final. That argument can’t be made for Spurs. Unlike Spurs they also actually strengthened their team in the last year.

I’d say it took a few games to get used to. I think Spurs form has suffered for more reasons that that as I’ve already said. Spurs are not impervious to the same issues that effect every other club in the world. If you don’t strengthen your team and squad regularly you at best stagnate and at worst regress.

My rules? You were the one that said the league is the true test. But now you back-track on that when it comes to Liverpool.

So you apply one set of rules to Spurs for measuring decline/progress, but another when it comes to other clubs ... and even this ignores the fact that basing your measurement on a single season is just foolish.

I agree that strengthening a team and squad regularly is important ... which is why we've signed (for example) Sanchez and Moura recently and today signed a new contract with Kyle Walker-Peters, which perhaps indicates a bigger squad role for him next season.

And this summer, as I've said, I think Spurs will spend a lot more than in many summer past.

According to most of the Caf Madrid and Dortmund were shit and it was no real achievement.

Beating Madrid is a cool feat but Dortmund aren't anything special. They've had one great CL is season in the last 15 years, they aren't a European heavyweight like Real Madrid.

The biggest compliment you can give to Spurs is that Man Utd fans are actually discussing them. Who would've imagined that 6-7 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.