The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only to the extent that Spurs players get a boost. So no.

It's a ridiculous argument. By your logic, it's easy to go to The Camp Nou as a visiting team as you raise your game when you go there.

I can’t argue with stupid sorry, if u don’t see the pressure you were under I’m not gonna spell it out lol.

Come again, perhaps in English this time?

Pressure I was under?

Oh I see, I say one word incorrectly and you can distinguish what I meant? I see where this is going. I tell you what simply exchange the *you* with *we*.... that’s a boy, u get it now?

You take away from the majority of decent United fans.

Not a chance.

As I've said before, I reckon Levy will open the purse strings this summer to mark our grand entrance into the new stadium and also to keep Poch happy and because we now know that CL income is guaranteed again next season.

Watch this space .... Spurs are going to spring a few surprises this summer.

There will be no 'opening of the purse strings', there will be repayment of the stadium.

Having said that the fact Spurs will be moving on a lot of players, some willingly some unwillingly means Poch will have quite the warchest to wade into the transfer market with. Especially if Eriksen moves, that will be for big money if it happens this window, and this window from a financial perspective is when he will still hold a lot of his value. I dont get the Barca links after they just blew all their cash on Coutinho, but they are not the only big club probably eyeing him off, Bayern, Juventus, PSG, RM are all a step up from Spurs.

Janssen, that winger that never played, probably some youth players like Vickers, and of course Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen could all be on the move. That will make for a lot of money for Spurs to re-invest. Some maybes as to whether they go or stay such as Sissoko, Dembele, Aurier, Llorente, Lamela.

I think the more exciting thing about Spurs is not the transfer market warchest but promotion from within the clubs youth/academy ranks to the first team.

There will be no 'opening of the purse strings', there will be repayment of the stadium.

Having said that the fact Spurs will be moving on a lot of players, some willingly some unwillingly means Poch will have quite the warchest to wade into the transfer market with. Especially if Eriksen moves, that will be for big money if it happens this window, and this window from a financial perspective is when he will still hold a lot of his value. I dont get the Barca links after they just blew all their cash on Coutinho, but they are not the only big club probably eyeing him off, Bayern, Juventus, PSG, RM are all a step up from Spurs.

Janssen, that winger that never played, probably some youth players like Vickers, and of course Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen could all be on the move. That will make for a lot of money for Spurs to re-invest. Some maybes as to whether they go or stay such as Sissoko, Dembele, Aurier, Llorente, Lamela.

I think the more exciting thing about Spurs is not the transfer market warchest but promotion from within the clubs youth/academy ranks to the first team.

The finance for the the stadiaum is in place it will be totally separate from any transfer budget. I’m pretty confident of at least a £100m spend outside any money recouped from player sales. This is the pivotal moment for ENIC and they will be looking to sell in the next 2-3 seasons, what they put in they will hope to get out. It makes zero sense for them to just continue as is, we spent last season and that will continue.

This forum is exactly like last season *oooooohhh u will lose all ur players* we lost Walker lol, terrifying. Rose and Toby will move on, that’s it.

Oh I see, I say one word incorrectly and you can distinguish what I meant? I see where this is going. I tell you what simply exchange the *you* with *we*.... that’s a boy, u get it now?

You take away from the majority of decent United fans.

Calling someone stupid at the same time you can't write a simple sentence is rather daft and deserves to be pointed out. Apologies if they're needed.

Do I think that Spurs suffered from playing at Wembley in some regards? Of course. White Hart Lane had become a fortress of sorts.
Do I think that other teams raise their game because they're playing Spurs at Wembley? No.

You can't have it both ways. It can't be intimidating to play at the Bernabeau, Camp Nou, Allianz etc, but uplifting to play at Wembley. It's just an away game. Against Spurs.

You had a 90,000 capacity stadium to train and play in for a whole season. Most teams played there for 90 minutes. You had close to double the amount of fans for every home match than you previously enjoyed.

By my memory you lost 5 games there? Against City, Chelsea, United, Juve and West Ham (were there more?). I don't think any of those teams beat you because they got excited to be playing at Wembley. It's a ridiculous argument.

Calling someone stupid at the same time you can't write a simple sentence is rather daft and deserves to be pointed out. Apologies if they're needed.

Do I think that Spurs suffered from playing at Wembley in some regards? Of course. White Hart Lane had become a fortress of sorts.
Do I think that other teams raise their game because they're playing Spurs at Wembley? No.

You can't have it both ways. It can't be intimidating to play at the Bernabeau, Camp Nou, Allianz etc, but uplifting to play at Wembley. It's just an away game. Against Spurs.

You had a 90,000 capacity stadium to train and play in for a whole season. Most teams played there for 90 minutes. You had close to double the amount of fans for every home match than you previously enjoyed.

By my memory you lost 5 games there? Against City, Chelsea, United, Juve and West Ham (were there more?). I don't think any of those teams beat you because they got excited to be playing at Wembley. It's a ridiculous argument.

It was a typo and you made a hole post about it at what 2am? Ok ignore the 4 draws against the lesser teams to suit ur narative, again chose the points u wish. The season before at White Hart Lane we only drew 2 and lost none. You have WUMED the Spurs thread all season, I don’t get why, but I tell you what I won’t bother trying to debate anything with you cause it’s boring and pretty much a waste of time.

The finance for the the stadiaum is in place it will be totally separate from any transfer budget. I’m pretty confident of at least a £100m spend outside any money recouped from player sales. This is the pivotal moment for ENIC and they will be looking to sell in the next 2-3 seasons, what they put in they will hope to get out. It makes zero sense for them to just continue as is, we spent last season and that will continue.

This forum is exactly like last season *oooooohhh u will lose all ur players* we lost Walker lol, terrifying. Rose and Toby will move on, that’s it.

What about all the fringe players? Surely N'Koudou(thanks google), Janssen, Vickers and co will all be moved on, as well as Alderweireld and Rose. What about the players that could be improved? Sissoko, Lamela, Aurier? Llorente and Dembele sticking around? And of course the big one, Eriksen? There could be a lot of outs at Spurs, which of course will give Pochettino a hell of a warchest to wade into the xfer market with. Eriksen alone if he does move this window is around the 100mil mark, wait another xfer window and he winds down to one year and his market value drops to what, 40-50mil?

It was a typo and you made a hole post about it at what 2am? Ok ignore the 4 draws against the lesser teams to suit ur narative, again chose the points u wish. The season before at White Hart Lane we only drew 2 and lost none. You have WUMED the Spurs thread all season, I don’t get why, but I tell you what I won’t bother trying to debate anything with you cause it’s boring and pretty much a waste of time.

1. It's 2pm here.
2. I like Spurs. My brother supports them. I've probably been to White Hart lane more than I've been to Old Trafford.
3. I haven't sought any friction in this thread today, let alone all season.
4. I'm sorry I can only remember who beat you and not the 4 games you drew this season.

Finally, and more sensibly...

2017/2018 - Finished 3rd. 5th best home record, 2nd best away record
2016/2018 - Finished 2nd. Best home record, 5th best away record
2015/2016 - Finished 3rd. 5th best home record, 2nd best away record
2014/2015 - Finished 5th. 8th best home record, 4th best away record
2013/2014 - Finished 6th. 7th best home record, 6th best away record

Your home record is always worse than your away record. I think you're the one that's cherry picking to suit a narrative. I don't know why you think that Wembley is the issue here. Unless you're judging it against your best ever home season in your history.

Some of the excuses are hilarious.

At the start of the season when few ManUtd fans said they might struggle because of Wembley factory, Spurs fans just played it down saying as it it's nothing. Then at the end of the season saying they played all away games is downright stupid. At max they can argue they played half of the games in Neutral venue, not sure how they came up with "Away ground" as it wasn't home ground for other team and stadium was full of Spurs banners, flags and fans.

Also like someone posted, they had best or second best home record in 1 season and in the recent past their away record was better than home record.

Anyways it was good season for Spurs, finishing 3rd and starting with CL in their new stadium.

Anyways it was good season for Spurs, finishing 3rd and starting with CL in their new stadium.

I agree, definitely a good season for them, CL games to bring in the new state of the art stadium.

If at the start of Poch’ reign at Spurs, you’d told the fans they would finish 5th, 3rd, 2nd and 3rd in 4 consecutive seasons, the fans would have bitten your hands off.

However, the next step has to be winning trophies otherwise you don’t know how long the players will accept it.

At the start of the season when few ManUtd fans said they might struggle because of Wembley factory, Spurs fans just played it down saying as it it's nothing. Then at the end of the season saying they played all away games is downright stupid. At max they can argue they played half of the games in Neutral venue, not sure how they came up with "Away ground" as it wasn't home ground for other team and stadium was full of Spurs banners, flags and fans.

Also like someone posted, they had best or second best home record in 1 season and in the recent past their away record was better than home record.

Indeed. Spurs should be happy, decent season all things considered with memorable performances in the CL. Usual United fans stirring shite up for no real reason in here.

We improved our performances in the Champion's League ... by some margin. A balanced view would take that into account before pronouncing 'decline'.
Well anybody can raise their game every now and again. The league is the true test I’m sure you’d agree.

Indeed. Spurs should be happy, decent season all things considered with memorable performances in the CL. Usual United fans stirring shite up for no real reason in here.

Yep. It's quite comical seeing United fans trying to spin this season into a "downward trend". Most pundits and the media have been right up Liverpool's ass all season waxing lyrical about them and Klopp and Spurs yet again finished above them.

We finished above them and Chelsea who all enjoyed their usual home advantage whilst we adapted to an unfamiliar stadium.

You can't seriously expect a team to always improve their goals scored, goals conceded and points tally year on year. Just like last season didn't mean spurs were on an upward trend and this season doesn't mean we are on a downward trend. It's just a season in isolation.

Finishing 3rd, 2nd, 3rd the last three seasons for Spurs is incredible really. I think many people forget where Poch has taken Spurs from. The perennial 5th and 6th placed side and making that step up from 5th to 2nd and 3rd and regular CL qualification is so hard. So tough if you don't do a City or Chelsea and spend hundreds of millions in a window or two to make that jump.

Just ask the likes of United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal who have all failed to get CL qualification in the last few years when Spurs have done it consistently under Poch.

There's no way Eriksen is sold this summer. I expect us to sell Alderwerield. Rose 50/50. Sissoko will probably go back to France. Dembele to Italy or China as he can no longer endure the rigours of the PL. It will be a big summer and I sincerely hope we show ambition and make some statements in the transfer market.

Yep. It's quite comical seeing United fans trying to spin this season into a "downward trend".

Think it was obvious why some do it, when some Spurs fan spend 10 years on caf bitching about trends, it's obvious some ManUtd fans will point out the trends when Spurs drop league position.

Thought it was very obvious why someone did it, looks like everything should be explained.

Both, although it depends on what you mean by 'massive' ... there will be substantial pay increases on offer to key players.

Also, there is generally a big exaggeration on here concerning what many excellent players in foreign leagues earn compared to Prem wages. This is coupled with an ignorance of the fact that Spurs will move into the top 10 wealthiest clubs globally next season. The result is an unwarranted claim that Spurs will struggle to attract such players when it comes to wages.
Coupled with your ignorance that your bank loan was secured on those increased profits. It’s strange that Spurs Manager, who knows a lot more about what Spurs can spend than you, doesn’t seem to share your confidence.

Think it was obvious why some do it, when some Spurs fan spend 10 years on caf bitching about trends, it's obvious some ManUtd fans will point out the trends when Spurs drop league position.

Thought it was very obvious why someone did it, looks like everything should be explained.

Sure. However one season isn't a trend. If we were to finish lower than 3rd next season then it could be argued a trend. Not one season though, particularly when we had to play at Wembley. It's been a huge disruption to our usual season and cannot be ignored.

Decent enough season for them. I do think they had a better team than us so you could argue they should have competed for 2nd but not much difference between the two positions at the end of the day.

Clutching at straws mate
I’m pointing out reality. You can blame a ground all you want. Or you can look at what really happened. You lost your starting right back and replaced him with his understudy after buying a replacement that wasn’t as good as his understudy. You made no other improvements to your first team. Unless you believe Sanchez is better than Alderweireld?

He has done an incredible job to establish Spurs as a top4 club really but that interview does sound like an ultimatum. Time for Spurs to elevate themselves to title contenders, they've a very strong base.

Good for him if he is showing a bit of ambition and wants to push for a stronger squad. Has done well in his time there so far, but they really need to take a step up or make big changes or things will naturally stagnate.

I also think spurs would have spent a bit of cash this summer no matter who leaves, simply to build up excitement for the new stadium.

Sure. However one season isn't a trend. If we were to finish lower than 3rd next season then it could be argued a trend. Not one season though, particularly when we had to play at Wembley. It's been a huge disruption to our usual season and cannot be ignored.

Yeah maybe trend is Spurs finishing below 80 points with last season being exception. Whatever it is, it's easy to pull these kind of things to make up "trend"

The problem for Spurs is the same as it's been for a few seasons now, where can they improve?

GK? Maybe but hardly a priority
Defence? I guess that has gone downhill this season with no Walker, Rose and Alderweireld but is that enough to turn a challenge into the title win? Probably not
Midfield? Again maybe especially if Demebele goes but it'll be hard to get an improvement to go there when the likes of us, City, Liverpool etc etc are also after CM's
Attack? The obvious position as they lack that x-factor player but again it'll be hard to attract that kind of player as everyone wants one

Spurs probably need to just concentrate on establishing themselves as a top 4 team and focus on the cup competitions as their next objective as a title win is out of their reach imo

Yeah maybe trend is Spurs finishing below 80 points with last season being exception. Whatever it is, it's easy to pull these kind of things to make up "trend"

I don't see what your point is. I'm not the one calling things a trend. We've had a very good season. That's about the sum of it. Look how much you spent last summer and you finished a mighty 4 points ahead of us, and only because we were away from WHL. All things being equal I think we'd have finished 2nd again if it wasn't for Wembley.

Surely there is immense pressure on Mourinho to deliver a PL next season after all the money he's spent. Bring it on!

I don't see what your point is. I'm not the one calling things a trend. We've had a very good season. That's about the sum of it. Look how much you spent last summer and you finished a mighty 4 points ahead of us, and only because we were away from WHL. All things being equal I think we'd have finished 2nd again if it wasn't for Wembley.

Surely there is immense pressure on Mourinho to deliver a PL next season after all the money he's spent. Bring it on!

Who said you called it as "Trend", I explained why people here call it because of few or one spurs fan.

Again, ManUtd make money and spend money, that's how club should be operated, rather spend than money in the owner's bank account, after all it's the money made by the club.

You can argue as much as you want, you played at home with more than 70 thousand fans cheering instead of 30 plus at WHL.

It's simple, few Spurs fans will say Jose should win the league considering the money spent, few ManUtd fans will say Spurs should at least win domestic cup considering this is their best team in probably 20-30 years.

Oh dear, such drivel.

Why is it drivel?

Why is it not? How can you say that definitively? Football doesn't work on ifs and buts.

If Spurs are such a better side, then why did you lot end up being outplayed by us in the FA Cup Semi Final.

Yes and we finished 17 points behind you in the 16-17 season. That's a 21 points difference. Massive.

Why is it not? How can you say that definitively? Football doesn't work on ifs and buts.

If Spurs are such a better side, then why did you lot end up being outplayed by us in the FA Cup Semi Final.

What has an FA Cup match got to do with a league campaign? I don't think we have such a better side I think our first teams are pretty close, I would say you have a more tactically astute manager when it comes down to it.

We dropped a lot of silly points at home this season, Swansea, WBA and West Ham. I agree that we have no idea what would have happened but the idea that we wouldnt have had more points if playing at WHL wouldn't really make sense in footballing terms.

Well anybody can raise their game every now and again. The league is the true test I’m sure you’d agree.

So if Liverpool win the Champions League, does that mean they've stagnated because they've only finished 4th in the Prem (the same as last season)?

For Spurs, our 'home' record this season has not been as good as last season - a fair-minded person would see that playing at Wembley likely had at least something to do with that. And as I say we did well enough in the CL against far tougher opposition than that faced by most English clubs.

You can say what you want, but Spurs fans don't see a club in decline ... they see a top 3 finish for the 3rd successive season, proof that we can compete with the best in the CL and fantastic new stadium looming on the near horizon.

What has an FA Cup match got to do with a league campaign? I don't think we have such a better side I think our first teams are prett close, I would say you have a more tactically astute manager when it comes down to it.

We dropped a lot of silly points at home this season, Swansea, WBA and West Ham. I agree that we have no idea what would have happened but the idea that we wouldnt have had more points if playing at WHL wouldn't really make sense in footballing terms.

We've dropped points against Southampton, WBA and Burnley at home. Maybe we should stop playing at OT too.

How is it drivel? Do you honestly think not playing at WHL this season didn't cost us at least 4 points in the league? I don't think it's a big leap of faith to suggest it has impacted on our points total. It's amazing to see United fans completely disregarding playing a season at Wembley like it's nothing. Of course it impacted our points total. We simply did not have our normal home stadium to play in. It's beyond debate that it negatively impacted our season especially early on in the season when we dropped points.

I don't think you outplayed us in the semi final either and I could easily point to the demolition job we did on you at Wembley in the league to say we are a better side. In any case I wasn't saying we are a better side than you, just that I do think if we were at WHL this season we'd have finished 2nd. Being at Wembley definitely cost us points over the season.

So if Liverpool win the Champions League, does that mean they've stagnated because they've only finished 4th in the Prem (the same as last season)?

For Spurs, our 'home' record this season has not been as good as last season - a fair-minded person would see that playing at Wembley likely had at least something to do with that. And as I say we did well enough in the CL against far tougher opposition than that faced by most English clubs.

You can say what you want, but Spurs fans don't see a club in decline ... they see a top 3 finish for the 3rd successive season, proof that we can compete with the best in the CL and fantastic new stadium looming on the near horizon.

Or a fair minded person would see more than 1 season to base their opinion.

Poch's home record at Spurs
2017-18: 45 points (5th best)
2016-17: 53 points (Best)
2015-16: 36 points (5th best)
2014-15: 33 points (8th best)

So last season was exception rather than norm.

We've dropped points against Southampton, WBA and Burnley at home. Maybe we should stop playing at OT too.

Well yeah maybe if you think that playing at your established home makes no difference to your performances, because that's what your saying. I don't get why some United fans are getting so worked up about it, at the end of the day you finished 2nd and deserved it.

How is it drivel? Do you honestly think not playing at WHL this season didn't cost us at least 4 points in the league? I don't think it's a big leap of faith to suggest it has impacted on our points total. It's amazing to see United fans completely disregarding playing a season at Wembley like it's nothing. Of course it impacted our points total. We simply did not have our normal home stadium to play in. It's beyond debate that it negatively impacted our season especially early on in the season when we dropped points.

I don't think you outplayed us in the semi final either and I could easily point to the demolition job we did on you at Wembley in the league to say we are a better side. In any case I wasn't saying we are a better side than you, just that I do think if we were at WHL this season we'd have finished 2nd. Being at Wembley definitely cost us points over the season.

Apart from City, every single team has dropped silly points at home. It's a bit big headed to claim definitively that you wouldn't have dropped those points had you played at WHL.

What has an FA Cup match got to do with a league campaign? I don't think we have such a better side I think our first teams are pretty close, I would say you have a more tactically astute manager when it comes down to it.

Eh? Then you have to check your home record. Only last season was exception, this season you had more points than Poch's first 2 seasons at home. It's not as if WHL was like Stamford bridge under Jose (first term) or Old trafford under SAF.

Or a fair minded person would see more than 1 season to base their opinion.

Poch's home record at Spurs
2017-18: 45 points (5th best)
2016-17: 53 points (Best)
2015-16: 36 points (5th best)
2014-15: 33 points (8th best)

So last season was exception rather than norm.

I guess they were playing at Wembley in 2015-16 and 2014-15 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.