The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Jose not meeting with your chairman? We had basically lost Toby for half this season anyway, he wants a big contract fair play to him, he the money and reinvest. Was he not saying he needed more money?

I'm a Liverpool fan. Yes that's the point though. Jose is talking about spending, Pep will spend anyway with the season Chelsea have had you know Roman will be spending big for his new manager. And we currently have Naby coming in who should improve us massively and possibly a Fekir type number 10 at least. Arsenals new manager will want new players also.

Playing at Wembley, let’s see about Dembele, and I will use smileys all i want. Liverpool we’re behind us also, and we were pretty hungry behind United. You seem to like choosing your arguments.

Liverpool are in the final of the Champions League, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt with results against Stoke and WBA lately. As for that silly Wembley-argument, it’s getting tedious to say the least - your fans are there in numbers and your bloody logo’s on the door. If you do very well next season, you’ll instantly call the new place your home - if you do average, you’re going to say it’s still not home and bla bla bla. If suddenly Kane starts to mumble about leaving over Christmas, you’re still going to argue that you’re not losing your best players or suffering from the obvious constraints everyone else can see. Spurs’ excuses are already created and put on hold, just like the file a newspaper has for every celebrity that’s going to die over the next few years.

Liverpool are in the final of the Champions League, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt with results against Stoke and WBA lately. As for that silly Wembley-argument, it’s getting tedious to say the least - your fans are there in numbers and your bloody logo’s on the door. If you do very well next season, you’ll instantly call the new place your home - if you do average, you’re going to say it’s still not home and bla bla bla. If suddenly Kane starts to mumble about leaving over Christmas, you’re still going to argue that you’re not losing your best players or suffering from the obvious constraints everyone else can see. Spurs’ excuses are already created and put on hold, just like the file a newspaper has for every celebrity that’s going to die over the next few years.

If you can’t see teams coming to Wembley having a lift you know very little about football. The rest of your post is ifs and buts that I can’t really say much about, I don’t get the salty ness of your post tbf, what exactly do you want me to say? Do you want me to say we’re doomed? I don’t really get it, I always try to post intelligently so il just leave it at that. Apart from the fact you as a United giving Liverpool the benifit of the doubt lol.

Last edited:
Interesting interview post game from Poch. I can see the meeting with Levy going sideways though and Poch walking away.

Not a chance.

As I've said before, I reckon Levy will open the purse strings this summer to mark our grand entrance into the new stadium and also to keep Poch happy and because we now know that CL income is guaranteed again next season.

Watch this space .... Spurs are going to spring a few surprises this summer.

I'm a Liverpool fan. Yes that's the point though. Jose is talking about spending, Pep will spend anyway with the season Chelsea have had you know Roman will be spending big for his new manager. And we currently have Naby coming in who should improve us massively and possibly a Fekir type number 10 at least. Arsenals new manager will want new players also.

As a Spurs fan I have heard this for 3 seasons, you spent last season. Fair play in the CL and I hope u win it.

I hear all this talk about Spurs spending top dollar, but who are they supposed to sign? They should do what they are best at, signing bargains and saving money on wages. The next Eriksen, Alderweireld etc. Spurs can’t afford top signings, the players wouldn’t want to go to Spurs in the first place and they can’t afford to pay them. What’s a top signing these days anyway? They need to be very lucky with what they do - it’s easy to blow away money on duds like Aurier, Llorente and Sissoko when you suddenly have burning pockets.

They can’t even afford to re-sign a top player they already have in Alderweireld, I think that says everything about Spurs as a club and they lack of pull in the market. Spurs just isn’t a very exciting destination, every top player knows there are better options out there if you want to win trophies. And get paid for your troubles...

Incorrect. If Spurs choose to sell Alderweireld - and it's not yet sure that he won't sign a new contract - it won't be because we can't afford to keep him, it'll be because - given his age and other factors - we decide that the money is better spent elsewhere.

As for Spurs not being an exciting destination and our "lack of pull", I think you'll find that a top three Premiership club, based in London, with CL football, Pochettino and a fantastic new stadium to offer has a lot more pull than you imagine.

Incorrect. If Spurs choose to sell Alderweireld - and it's not yet sure that he won't sign a new contract - it won't be because we can't afford to keep him, it'll be because - given his age and other factors - we decide that the money is better spent elsewhere.

As for Spurs not being an exciting destination and our "lack of pull", I think you'll find that a top three Premiership club, based in London, with CL football, Pochettino and a fantastic new stadium to offer has a lot more pull than you imagine.
Nobody want’s to sign for a team on a downward trend.

Last edited:
Nobody what’s to sign for a team on a downward trend.

A team that's finished in the top 3 for the last 3 seasons running is hardly on a downward trend sunshine.

Last edited:
You’ve lost Walker, you’re losing Alderweireld and Dembele... you’re 3rd after being 2nd last season, scoring ten less goals, letting in ten more goals... with Chelsea and Arsenal pretty hungry behind you... I wouldn’t use green smilies if I were you.

Chelsea and arsenal pretty hungry behind us :Dare we supposed to be scared?

You say the same every season and every season we finish top 3. Spurs are hardly in disarray.

Those are the comments of a man that think the club is at a crossroad .I essentially read those comments as "I've taken the club as far as I can with the resources I've been given".
Those comments are slightly worrying no matter how you look at it .
Only if you think he won't get the resources. I believe he will.

Well they are. That’s why you scored less, conceded more and won less games.

Worse season in the league, better in Europe, about same in the cups, - plus, I think you need more than one season for it to be a trend.

Don't quite get it, Chelsea and Arsenal finished outside the top 4 and once again Spurs are in turmoil? I'm quite happy to have real discussions on here, but its too much predicted doom without much substance imo.

Before signing new players, you need to secure the assets you already have. That means paying Kane the going rate for a striker of his calibre and keeping players like Ericksen content. If this is not done, you're setting a rod for your own back because these players could and would double or triple their current wage elsewhere.

The worst thing possible for Spurs this summer is Kane and Eriksen having a great World Cups.

Worse season in the league, better in Europe, about same in the cups, - plus, I think you need more than one season for it to be a trend.

Don't quite get it, Chelsea and Arsenal finished outside the top 4 and once again Spurs are in turmoil? I'm quite happy to have real discussions on here, but its too much predicted doom without much substance imo.
Not really. The trend has been apparent all season. Spurs weakened last summer and their league form showed it.

I never said Spurs were in turmoil, just that they’ve regressed and are on a downward trend. Chelsea have too and Arsenal have pretty much bottomed out.

Before signing new players, you need to secure the assets you already have. That means paying Kane the going rate for a striker of his calibre and keeping players like Ericksen content. If this is not done, you're setting a rod for your own back because these players could and would double or triple their current wage elsewhere.

The worst thing possible for Spurs this summer is Kane and Eriksen having a great World Cups.

Surely as soon as that's done the rest follow in requesting a better contract?
I can't see how they're gonna do it.

Not really. The trend has been apparent all season. Spurs weakened last summer and their league form showed it.

I never said Spurs were in turmoil, just that they’ve regressed and are on a downward trend. Chelsea have too and Arsenal have pretty much bottomed out.

they played at Wembley this season. some predicted they wouldn't even make the top 4 because of that. finishing a season slightly below a previous one is not a downward trend, especially when they still made the top 4, come off it.

they played at Wembley this season. some predicted they wouldn't even make the top 4 because of that. finishing a season slightly below a previous one is not a downward trend, especially when they still made the top 4, come off it.
Just playing the game laid out by some Spurs fans. They’re tangibly not as good as they were last season. Playing in an unfamiliar stadium isn’t going away for next season. It was obvious Spurs couldn’t maintain their performances from last season when their team was weakened.

reckon Levy will open the purse strings this summer to mark our grand entrance into the new stadium
Do you mean by splashing big money on transfers or by giving massive pay increases to your most important players?

Because, if your splashing major cash on new players they're not going to be on the sort of money on offer at present so its hard to see how he'll do one without doing the other.

A team that's finished in the top 3 for the last 3 seasons running is hardly on a downward trend sunshine.

Trophies: 0, zero. Let’s see if that fecking trend continues to keep you in a good mood. No matter the investment, which I really don’t care about - fans of Spurs have the biggest reason to feel let down this season. What matters is the quality of the players, not what they cost, and with arguably the second best team in the league you finish 3rd and get kicked out of the cups before the fun starts.

Normal service resumed, United ahead of Spurs in the table. Poc seems to be unhappy about the money that is available to him. Woody needs to do the needful and get him to United.

Normal service resumed, United ahead of Spurs in the table. Poc seems to be unhappy about the money that is available to him. Woody needs to do the needful and get him to United.

So your sacking Jose? Really? Tell me more?

Just playing the game laid out by some Spurs fans. They’re tangibly not as good as they were last season. Playing in an unfamiliar stadium isn’t going away for next season. It was obvious Spurs couldn’t maintain their performances from last season when their team was weakened.

Mate your making urself look stupid, do u really not think both domestic and Europeon players get a boast at playing at Wembley? Come on, man up say yes or no.

Jose today said 2nd was the best position they could get this season, that won’t change next season. Are you happy with that? Arguably the biggest team in the world happy with second?

Mate your making urself look stupid, do u really not think both domestic and Europeon players get a boast at playing at Wembley? Come on, man up say yes or no.

Jose today said 2nd was the best position they could get this season, that won’t change next season. Are you happy with that? Arguably the biggest team in the world happy with second?

No, I'm not sacking Mourinho, I'm hoping Woody does. If I had the ability to do that, he would never have been hired in the first place. If you like him, maybe with can do a straight swap for Poc.

If players get a boost playing at Wembley would that not apply moreso to a team that plays there every other week?

What have United got to do with Spurs? Why can Spurs not be discussed without mentioning Man United? I’m not happy and not overly unhappy. The team above us are much better than us currently so we achieved the best that we were capable of. I’d like to think we’ll continue to improve in future but as poor as we’ve been at times we’re better now than we have been for five years. Which just goes to show just how shite we’ve been for several years.

If players get a boost playing at Wembley would that not apply moreso to a team that plays there every other week?

What have United got to do with Spurs? Why can Spurs not be discussed without mentioning Man United? I’m not happy and not overly unhappy. The team above us are much better than us currently so we achieved the best that we were capable of. I’d like to think we’ll continue to improve in future but as poor as we’ve been at times we’re better now than we have been for five years. Which just goes to show just how shite we’ve been for several years.

Appreciate your honesty and yes I honestly try not to bring united into this thread, but come on it’s pretty hard with the amount of negativity we get in here. If im being honest as a football fan I want United to beat the likes of City and United.

No, I'm not sacking Mourinho, I'm hoping Woody does. If I had the ability to do that, he would never have been hired in the first place. If you like him, maybe with can do a straight swap for Poc.

Levy would probably have Jose in the Thames by Christmas.

Surely as soon as that's done the rest follow in requesting a better contract?
I can't see how they're gonna do it.
I agree and it's the price of being an established CL club; you have to pay the going rates and once a few players get a payrise, others will surely want a bump, too.

If Spurs break from the model of purchasing potentially good players and go for names, they'll have to pay the going rate in wages to that player and then others have every right to ask for parity.

It's a minefield if they're serious about keeping the squad together and then supplementing it with players that can make a difference. Their wage bill will sky rocket.

Levy would probably have Jose in the Thames by Christmas.

Maybe we can agree on something at least. Next season will be Mourinho's third at United, usually he has third year itch around that time and does not last longer than that.

It wasn't a bad season for Spurs. They do what expect for them, TOP 4 position.

We improved our performances in the Champion's League ... by some margin. A balanced view would take that into account before pronouncing 'decline'.

Do you mean by splashing big money on transfers or by giving massive pay increases to your most important players?

Because, if your splashing major cash on new players they're not going to be on the sort of money on offer at present so its hard to see how he'll do one without doing the other.

Both, although it depends on what you mean by 'massive' ... there will be substantial pay increases on offer to key players.

Also, there is generally a big exaggeration on here concerning what many excellent players in foreign leagues earn compared to Prem wages. This is coupled with an ignorance of the fact that Spurs will move into the top 10 wealthiest clubs globally next season. The result is an unwarranted claim that Spurs will struggle to attract such players when it comes to wages.

Trophies: 0, zero. Let’s see if that fecking trend continues to keep you in a good mood. No matter the investment, which I really don’t care about - fans of Spurs have the biggest reason to feel let down this season. What matters is the quality of the players, not what they cost, and with arguably the second best team in the league you finish 3rd and get kicked out of the cups before the fun starts.

Spurs fans don't feel 'let down' at all. We've finished in the top 3 (yet again), did well enough in the CL against the toughest opposition, and all whilst funding a fantastic new stadium ... a new home for next season that is going to be the envy of many a Prem club.

Only to the extent that Spurs players get a boost. So no.

It's a ridiculous argument. By your logic, it's easy to go to The Camp Nou as a visiting team as you raise your game when you go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.