The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will see a record spend and I think and a move to buying a more established level of player rather than going for ones we have to work on. There is certainly one who is currently a Red Devil I would very much love to see coming our way.

You'll have to work on Martial as well, he is far from established. His best season was his first season, it's up in the air whether he can move up a level.

You'll have to work on Martial as well, he is far from established. His best season was his first season, it's up in the air whether he can move up a level.

I agree he needs something but all the tools are in him from what I’ve seen. I didn’t word my last post very well TBH :wenger:.

Very convenient thing to say - you will mention the same drivel over and over until the day you die, and you’d never admit to any bad judgement calls. A winning culture is built on winning trophies, even a Carabao Cup would mean the world to a smaller club like Tottenham right now. Yet another season where at least two bigger clubs find themselves in the darkness, and you are nowhere to be seen - even with a mighty fine squad.

We are talking about a club with two measly league titles in their entire history, the last won 60 years ago - the last FA Cup almost 30 years back in time.... yet you dare speak about «priorities» on the nicer trophies you have absolutely no chance of winning!? Amazingly arrogant and hipsterish. A trophy, any trophy would do - and you failed miserably yet again. Tottenham really should have gone all-in on the Carabao this year, the tournament they actually stand a chance at winning - instead they rested the best players and crashed out to West Ham.

Prioritising the league (for example) over the domestic cups is not just about trying to compete for the league title ... it's also about finishing in the top 4 because this gives access to another CL campaign the following season, with all the financial and player-attraction benefits that come with this.

Given our limited spare finances, due to the stadium investment, CL money is all the more important to Spurs - not least in terms of attracting sponsorship and selling stadium naming rights on the eve of our move into the new stadium.

Some Spurs fans may disagree, but for the reasons I've given I'd rather have a top 4 finish than win the FA or League Cup, so I agree with Pochettino's prioritisation of the former over the latter.

You say it's a "bad judgment call": we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Prioritising the league (for example) over the domestic cups is not just about trying to compete for the league title ... it's also about finishing in the top 4 because this gives access to another CL campaign the following season, with all the financial and player-attraction benefits that come with this.

Given our limited spare finances, due to the stadium investment, CL money is all the more important to Spurs - not least in terms of attracting sponsorship and selling stadium naming rights on the eve of our move into the new stadium.

Some Spurs fans may disagree, but for the reasons I've given I'd rather have a top 4 finish than win the FA or League Cup, so I agree with Pochettino's prioritisation of the former over the latter.

You say it's a "bad judgment call": we'll just have to agree to disagree.

While I agree with most of what you said about top four and yes it is the priority, I see no reason why we couldn’t have win a domestic cup at the same time.

When asked if he was 100 per cent certain he will still be at the club next season, Pochettino told reporters: "What a question. I don't know, but today it is 100 per cent because I have a three-year contract here, but tomorrow I don't know what is going to happen.

"[There's] no point in talking about that. Only you know in football that everything can happen. No one is sure in their job, but I have a three-year contract.

"Like I told the media in Spain after the game on Wednesday, they asked me about my contract and about what happened at some clubs, I told them: 'Look, I have a three-year contract and they [the other clubs] need to agree with Daniel [Levy, Spurs chairman].'"

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ev...-when-he-will-leave-spurs#uF3z8QwouXxmxOz9.99

Reminds me of Ronaldo when he was with us. Only god knows.

Not this season we werent - very few people had us in the top 4 this year
So a couple of you keep saying. Yet the poll at the top of this page had over 50% of Utd fans saying you would. I don’t recall many in the media predicting doom either. Or Spurs fans for that matter.

So a couple of you keep saying. Yet the poll at the top of this page had over 50% of Utd fans saying you would. I don’t recall many in the media predicting doom either. Or Spurs fans for that matter.
Virtually all the media had us out of the top four.

How would Spurs fans rate this season out of 10 and why? :)

For me, finishing top 4 would automatically make it an okay season considering the competition and circumstance. In addition to this we managed to top a CL group with Real Madrid and Dortmund before losing a game against Juventus where we in my opinion were the better team overall, which shows progress from last season. League cup was a huge disappointment, and FA cup we got to a semi, so not horrible, but had an opportunity and didn't take it. I'd say 7/10.

How do you feel about Uniteds season?

For me, finishing top 4 would automatically make it an okay season considering the competition and circumstance. In addition to this we managed to top a CL group with Real Madrid and Dortmund before losing a game against Juventus where we in my opinion were the better team overall, which shows progress from last season. League cup was a huge disappointment, and FA cup we got to a semi, so not horrible, but had an opportunity and didn't take it. I'd say 7/10.

How do you feel about Uniteds season?

I agree with you and the other posters that answered my question, I feel you guys can be happy with your season considering you spent a season away from home. I would give Spurs a 7/10 this season.

As for United's season...how long have you got? Lol to cut a long story short I think it's been disappointing even though we have improved from last season. I think the biggest disappointment was going out in the CL to Sevilla and not mounting a proper title challenge and on top of that we haven't really played well all season which has been quite frustrating. I think I would probably give our season 7/10. If we win the FA Cup I would probably give us an 8/10.

Interesting interview post game from Poch. I can see the meeting with Levy going sideways though and Poch walking away.

“I think it is a good point to talk now. We need to talk between us as a club. I don’t know if the club will agree with me. To create the new project or what I think we need to do. To try to improve. That is a little bit up to Daniel. After four years we need to assess that period. We need to review a little bit the things.”

Is what he said I don’t see what’s so worrying tbh. Like Jose, he is saying we need to spend money to improve.

“I think it is a good point to talk now. We need to talk between us as a club. I don’t know if the club will agree with me. To create the new project or what I think we need to do. To try to improve. That is a little bit up to Daniel. After four years we need to assess that period. We need to review a little bit the things.”

Is what he said I don’t see what’s so worrying tbh. Like Jose, he is saying we need to spend money to improve.

What do you think he'll do if he and Levy don't agree and what needs to be done?

Spurs need to spend this summer to stay in the Top 4 next year imo. Not sure if that'll be possible with the financial constraints the stadium will initially bring. I can see all the other top 6 teams improving with big spending this summer and Arsenal with a new manager.

Those are the comments of a man that think the club is at a crossroad .I essentially read those comments as "I've taken the club as far as I can with the resources I've been given".
Those comments are slightly worrying no matter how you look at it .

What do you think he'll do if he and Levy don't agree and what needs to be done?

What do you think he will do if they do agree? If Levy refuses point blank to invest, which I highly doubt Poch will likely consider his position, but where exactly will he go? I honestly think, considering the move to the new stadium and out continued performance Levy will invest. Why would he not for a short term spend, to keep our best team and manager in decades, why would he not. People make out the stadium finance will mean we have no money, I don’t buy it.

Spurs need to spend this summer to stay in the Top 4 next year imo. Not sure if that'll be possible with the financial constraints the stadium will initially bring. I can see all the other top 6 teams improving with big spending this summer and Arsenal with a new manager.

Why? We finished 3rd playing are home games basically away. It’s like a broken record that at the end of every season we won’t do it next season, total stickman argument.

Those are the comments of a man that think the club is at a crossroad .I essentially read those comments as "I've taken the club as far as I can with the resources I've been given".
Those comments are slightly worrying no matter how you look at it .

I’m not worried, he saying to Levy I have produced again, now back me, I think Levy will. It he doesn’t I don’t know exactly where Poch will go. Time will tell.

Why? We finished 3rd playing are home games basically away. It’s like a broken record that at the end of every season we won’t do it next season, total stickman argument.

I’m not worried, he saying to Levy I have produced again, now back me, I think Levy will. It he doesn’t I don’t know exactly where Poch will go. Time will tell.
That's where the comments are slightly worrying. There's a possibility Levy won't.
I think he will ultimately back him .

Are you not a little worried Poch could leave this Summer? His comments after United beat Spurs were odd. I would be a little concerned. It would be a horrific time to change manager.

That's where the comments are slightly worrying. There's a possibility Levy won't.

I’d call it a slim one, moving into a new stadium and all the fan fare, yes us fans are quite excited about it, not to spend would be an absolute disaster. The money for the stadium is secured, considering our net spends over the years, and the wealth of ENIC, there will be money.

Are you not a little worried Poch could leave this Summer? His comments after United beat Spurs were odd. I would be a little concerned. It would be a horrific time to change manager.

I agree it would be a disaster if epic proportions but I’m not that concerned, Poch’s English is good but he still at times makes the odd “translation mistake” it wasn’t long ago he said if he was offered a 50year contract he would sign. We have to remember he is looking a new contract, players aren’t the only employees looking for a raise. Besides that what big jobs are available that he has really strongly been licked with.

If he does choose to go it’s up to him, Club first over anything but I’m pretty sure he he will be here next season.

Spurs need to spend money. This is a crucial
time for them and they need to get it right.

I hear all this talk about Spurs spending top dollar, but who are they supposed to sign? They should do what they are best at, signing bargains and saving money on wages. The next Eriksen, Alderweireld etc. Spurs can’t afford top signings, the players wouldn’t want to go to Spurs in the first place and they can’t afford to pay them. What’s a top signing these days anyway? They need to be very lucky with what they do - it’s easy to blow away money on duds like Aurier, Llorente and Sissoko when you suddenly have burning pockets.

They can’t even afford to re-sign a top player they already have in Alderweireld, I think that says everything about Spurs as a club and they lack of pull in the market. Spurs just isn’t a very exciting destination, every top player knows there are better options out there if you want to win trophies. And get paid for your troubles...

What did he say?

Basically that he will meet with Levy and talk about the next stage to be taken.

Why’s that? More wishful thinking than what actually will happen, or do you know something we don’t?

Nah its just a hunch I got reading the interview. Its odd. It just seemed like setting the foundations for an exit so he can say Levy didn't agree with my vision for the club etc etc.

Of course it could be that he wants assurances that the top players won't be sold and wants a certain level of investment (which Levy should agree with wholeheartedly if he has any sense imo).

As regards wishful thinking not really I enjoy Poch at Spurs and think that Spurs should do what they can to keep him. Of course if he wants to go and his mind is made up theres not much can be done.

I hear all this talk about Spurs spending top dollar, but who are they supposed to sign? They should do what they are best at, signing bargains and saving money on wages. The next Eriksen, Alderweireld etc. Spurs can’t afford top signings, the players wouldn’t want to go to Spurs in the first place and they can’t afford to pay them. What’s a top signing these days anyway? They need to be very lucky with what they do - it’s easy to blow away money on duds like Aurier, Llorente and Sissoko when you suddenly have burning pockets.

They can’t even afford to re-sign a top player they already have in Alderweireld, I think that says everything about Spurs as a club and they lack of pull in the market. Spurs just isn’t a very exciting destination, every top player knows there are better options out there if you want to win trophies. And get paid for your troubles...

It’s amazing we are holding most of our players and finishing 3rd isn’t it, very proud of our unattractive club :lol:. Our pay scale will certainly increase as it has done season after season.

Basically that he will meet with Levy and talk about the next stage to be taken.

Nah its just a hunch I got reading the interview. Its odd. It just seemed like setting the foundations for an exit so he can say Levy didn't agree with my vision for the club etc etc.

Of course it could be that he wants assurances that the top players won't be sold and wants a certain level of investment (which Levy should agree with wholeheartedly if he has any sense imo).

As regards wishful thinking not really I enjoy Poch at Spurs and think that Spurs should do what they can to keep him. Of course if he wants to go and his mind is made up theres not much can be done.

I agree it’s football and I support the club not the players or manager. Interesting summer ahead.

I agree it would be a disaster if epic proportions but I’m not that concerned, Poch’s English is good but he still at times makes the odd “translation mistake” it wasn’t long ago he said if he was offered a 50year contract he would sign. We have to remember he is looking a new contract, players aren’t the only employees looking for a raise. Besides that what big jobs are available that he has really strongly been licked with.

If he does choose to go it’s up to him, Club first over anything but I’m pretty sure he he will be here next season.
Your comments about his English are interesting, he could well be angling for an improved context. That would make sense with his recent comments. The part that I'm confused about is the close friendship thing, fishing and trips together ect. If they have a strong friendship it would suggest mutual respect and not low tactics publicly. I always think supporters of there own club have a better understanding though, I guess we'll find out. Daniel Levy needs to be careful to get these contracts right, it could be a domino effect if an integral component like Kane, Ali or Poch leave. Spurs have an an excellent squad still and play good football, they need to add some experience and win something next year. If they don't, I think this group will be broken up.

Your comments about his English are interesting, he could well be angling for an improved context. That would make sense with his recent comments. The part that I'm confused about is the close friendship thing, fishing and trips together ect. If they have a strong friendship it would suggest mutual respect and not low tactics publicly. I always think supporters of there own club have a better understanding though, I guess we'll find out. Daniel Levy needs to be careful to get these contracts right, it could be a domino effect if an integral component like Kane, Ali or Poch leave. Spurs have an an excellent squad still and play good football, they need to add some experience and win something next year. If they don't, I think this group will be broken up.

Can’t dissagree with any of that tbh, I’m choosing to be confident, if we nail Poch down and get him a new contract I think the rest will fall into place. Basically I’m not gonna worry about it till it happens.

It’s amazing we are holding most of our players and finishing 3rd isn’t it, very proud of our unattractive club :lol:. Our pay scale will certainly increase as it has done season after season.

You’ve lost Walker, you’re losing Alderweireld and Dembele... you’re 3rd after being 2nd last season, scoring ten less goals, letting in ten more goals... with Chelsea and Arsenal pretty hungry behind you... I wouldn’t use green smilies if I were you.

You lost Kyle Walker and will most likely lose Alderweireld this summer. Vertonghen and Demble will be 31 for next season. Even your manager is planning to talk to Levy about funds so even he knows to stay with the pack or move to the next level money must be spent.

You’ve lost Walker, you’re losing Alderweireld and Dembele... you’re 3rd after being 2nd last season, scoring ten less goals, letting in ten more goals... with Chelsea and Arsenal pretty hungry behind you... I wouldn’t use green smilies if I were you.

Playing at Wembley, let’s see about Dembele, and I will use smileys all i want. Liverpool we’re behind us also, and we were pretty hungry behind United. You seem to like choosing your arguments.

You lost Kyle Walker and will most likely lose Alderweireld this summer. Vertonghen and Demble will be 31 for next season. Even your manager is planning to talk to Levy about funds so even he knows to stay with the pack or move to the next level money must be spent.

Is Jose not meeting with your chairman? We had basically lost Toby for half this season anyway, he wants a big contract fair play to him, he the money and reinvest. Was Jose not saying he needed more money?

Status
Not open for further replies.