The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eriksen and Alli hardly ever get rested though like yous said. Lamela has almost always played in place of Son rather than to give Eriksen and Alli any rest. Lucas was also hardly given a sniff in the team because Pochettino played Lamela at every opportunity since his return from injury. Kind of hard to expect somebody to start playing to their full potential in a new league while hardly playing.

I think on the Moura front he is possibly the Lamela replacement, but Pochettino likes players to have a pre season with the team and gives them plenty of time to bed in if they havnt played in the prem before. We seen this with Son who took a season to integrate and really shine, for what they paid for him Son has been a steal.

I think Lamela is dross, he had one ok season where he was starting to pick his game up and settle, suffered a serious injury and was out, for what, nearly a year? And has been rubbish since, clearly not the same player he once was, time for Spurs to cut their losses and move on. Im sure he could do a job for Watford or Brighton or someone but not good enough for Spurs, I think it's telling in the years Lamela was injured they placed 2nd and 3rd? He is not the player to take them to the next level. Lamela's only advantage is he is an aggressive presser from start to finish, he really buys into that Pochettino philosophy. But I think they could sell him, lay out some cash for Zaha and have an instant upgrade.

He has had 21 appearances in the league this season some 700mins+ for 0 goals and 2 assists. 16-17 season 9 appearances for 1 goal, 15-16 34 for 5 goals and 33 for 2 in 14-15 season.

106 appearances for 8 goals in the league. Surely there is a CB somewhere in the league with similar returns.

Is it true that Spurs only managed 55.000 people at home to Newcastle today? Wow, that’s proper pathetic - where are all the fans? Home game, great weather, securing CL... still don’t show up

Is it true that Spurs only managed 55.000 people at home to Newcastle today? Wow, that’s proper pathetic - where are all the fans? Home game, great weather, securing CL... still don’t show up

It is a weekday and a rearranged fixture.

I’m sure the number will be high on Sunday.

They were all busy having a look at their new state of the art hotel close to their arena that might host NFL matches in the future. Net spend something something

Well have you tried getting to Wembley? Week night? Come one stop wumming and have a look at the season attendance figures, 2nd largest after your goodselves.

Anyway hopefully will finish third now and get into next season.

Nervy performance tonight but we got the win and secured champions league football which I think was a good achievement for us given the stadium issue.

Well have you tried getting to Wembley? Week night? Come one stop wumming and have a look at the season attendance figures, 2nd largest after your goodselves.

Anyway hopefully will finish third now and get into next season.

Spurs can still finish second although highly unlikely.

Nervy performance tonight but we got the win and secured champions league football which I think was a good achievement for us given the stadium issue.

I’m happy with the league performance but have to say disappointed in the cups.

Spurs can still finish second although highly unlikely.

That would be fun on here :wenger:.

So Spurs win 1-0 againt NewCastle and they are 3rd. If end like this, it will be the third time in the PL's history that Spurs can make TOP 3. All of them in a row under Pochettino.

Good showing in the Premier League again, although I'm not sure if many Spurs fans predicted at the start of the season they'll be(most likely) finishing below Manchester United. Really need to get a backup striker, left winger, left back and midfielder in the next season though particularly considering the departures.

Pochettino really does need to reconsider his stance towards the FA Cup though.

It is a good achievement but if I was a Spurs fan I would be unhappy with another trophyless season. Poch has done well at Spurs there's no denying that but no trophies to show for it just top four finishes. This season was a perfect opportunity to win a trophy with Spurs having the advantage of playing home games at Wembley.

Good showing in the Premier League again, although I'm not sure if many Spurs fans predicted at the start of the season they'll be(most likely) finishing below Manchester United. Really need to get a backup striker, left winger, left back and midfielder in the next season though particularly considering the departures.

Pochettino really does need to reconsider his stance towards the FA Cup though.

Departures? Considering our stadium situation I honestly wasn’t overly confident, I don’t really care we ended up compared to United tbh.

It is a good achievement but if I was a Spurs fan I would be unhappy with another trophyless season. Poch has done well at Spurs there's no denying that but no trophies to show for it just top four finishes. This season was a perfect opportunity to win a trophy with Spurs having the advantage of playing home games at Wembley.

To be fair, if you were a Spurs fan you'd have only experienced one trophy in 10 years, watched your team be in the shadow of your local rivals for decades and have for the first time in decades become a top team.

A lot of Spurs fans are just loving their team competing in the Champions League. They considered beating Real Madrid 3-1 at home as a historic game, which shows you where they have come from.

United fans are like a rich spoiled child that has to live a modest life. Spurs fans have climbed up the social ladder and have a different perspective on things.

Departures? Considering our stadium situation I honestly wasn’t overly confident, I don’t really care we ended up compared to United tbh.

Rose, Alderwerald and probably Dembele.

To be fair, if you were a Spurs fan you'd have only experienced one trophy in 10 years, watched your team be in the shadow of your local rivals for decades and have for the first time in decades become a top team.

A lot of Spurs fans are just loving their team competing in the Champions League. They considered beating Real Madrid 3-1 at home as a historic game, which shows you where they have come from.

United fans are like a rich spoiled child that has to live a modest life. Spurs fans have climbed up the social ladder and have a different perspective on things.

This 1000%. Yes we want a trophy but from a spurs fans perspective this is golden era.

And if you don’t think it’s a golden era … after winning the title in 61, the 60s Spurs side had finishes of 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 3rd, 7th, 6th (average league position inc the title, 4.44th in the league)

The 2010s for Spurs from Harry to Poch has been 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd ... (average league position of 4.25th)

Yes, the 60s team had 42 games and 22 team leagues and won two FA Cups and the Cup winners cup ... but even so, there's nothing between the teams in league consistency and no other Spurs era even comes close.

Enjoy this, it really is special and may not last forever

And with the 1000th EPL game looming on the final day, Spurs have now won exactly 100 more games than they have lost (before WBA anyway), with more than a +200 goal difference. P998, W421, D255, L322, F1473 A1263

anyone with who remembers the likes of Sugar, Pleat etc will remember it used to be very very different with the only bright light being that one day Spurs would be as good as they are now

I preferred the Harry version of Spurs but its undeniable that Poch has built a brilliant team. Not entirely convinced he's getting as much out of it as he should as i think they're equal in strength to us.

This 1000%. Yes we want a trophy but from a spurs fans perspective this is golden era.

And if you don’t think it’s a golden era … after winning the title in 61, the 60s Spurs side had finishes of 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 3rd, 7th, 6th (average league position inc the title, 4.44th in the league)

The 2010s for Spurs from Harry to Poch has been 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd ... (average league position of 4.25th)

Yes, the 60s team had 42 games and 22 team leagues and won two FA Cups and the Cup winners cup ... but even so, there's nothing between the teams in league consistency and no other Spurs era even comes close.

Enjoy this, it really is special and may not last forever

And with the 1000th EPL game looming on the final day, Spurs have now won exactly 100 more games than they have lost (before WBA anyway), with more than a +200 goal difference. P998, W421, D255, L322, F1473 A1263

anyone with who remembers the likes of Sugar, Pleat etc will remember it used to be very very different with the only bright light being that one day Spurs would be as good as they are now
I think it is the stance and what has been said in the media in regards to Spurs, Poch and cups. He has said that the main focus is on the league and CL and that the FA and league cup are not as important. Whilst true, I would be disappointed if my manager was saying these things publically as it will have been seen by the players and their attitude changes towards these competitions. I would want my manager to come out and say that all competitions matter and the club want to achieve cup finals and trophies each and every season; which is what Tottenham could/should be achieving with the current squad.

Your league performances have been fantastic as well as the football, next season is the new stadium will be great for the club and supporters.

I think it is the stance and what has been said in the media in regards to Spurs, Poch and cups. He has said that the main focus is on the league and CL and that the FA and league cup are not as important. Whilst true, I would be disappointed if my manager was saying these things publically as it will have been seen by the players and their attitude changes towards these competitions. I would want my manager to come out and say that all competitions matter and the club want to achieve cup finals and trophies each and every season; which is what Tottenham could/should be achieving with the current squad.

Your league performances have been fantastic as well as the football, next season is the new stadium will be great for the club and supporters.

If everything is a priority then nothing is a priority.

Pochettino has not said that the FA and League Cups are unimportant and don't matter. He's simply said that the CL and league are more important. He's got the priorities right.

When he retires that "top 4" cabinet will look pretty sweet won't it.

I know you're just taking the piss but let's be honest. If Spurs won the FA Cup and finished 5th it would not be a better season than 3rd and no FA Cup. In fact it would significantly impact our summer transfer window and next season financially for us in a very negative way. Once the initial glow of winning a trophy evaporates we'd be worse off.

Of course no reason we couldn't have finished 3rd and won the FA Cup.

How would Spurs fans rate this season out of 10 and why? :)

In the context of our recent history I would say

8/10. On course for our second best PL points total ever of 75+. FA Cup semi final. CL last 16. 3rd place most likely and all whilst doing it away from WHL.

A trophy would have made it 9/10. 10/10 would have been winning the league or CL.

I know you're just taking the piss but let's be honest. If Spurs won the FA Cup and finished 5th it would not be a better season than 3rd and no FA Cup. In fact it would significantly impact our summer transfer window and next season financially for us in a very negative way. Once the initial glow of winning a trophy evaporates we'd be worse off.

Of course no reason we couldn't have finished 3rd and won the FA Cup.
While the money is important to the club, I don't agree. Winning a trophy is a big thing for the majority or players, some won't ever win a trophy in their lives.

If Kane stayed at Spurs all his life, got top 4 every year but never won a trophy, do you really think he wouldn't trade 1 of those for an FA cup win? Money is great but it's not what you play football for.

You are talking as a Utd fan and thinking like a Utd fan rather than a Spurs fan who as others have pointed out have had next to no success for a very long time. This has been a successful season - our main objective was to get champions league football again which given the move to Wembley was no means certain at all. We had a good run in the Champions League getting out of a very tough group and we got to the Semi's in the FA Cup which is really when our only real disappointment of the season occurred as I'd hoped we could get to a final.

Pochettino has not said that the FA and League Cups are unimportant and don't matter. He's simply said that the CL and league are more important. He's got the priorities right.
I never said that Poch said they were unimportant and don't matter; unless you misread what I typed, in which case I'll ignore this point.

I said that he commented that they were not as important, which is basically what you have confirmed. My point is that there is no need to make these comments publically as everything will be read by the players and this attitude transcends into their performances, as seen with another trophyless year. Beating Real Madrid in the CL is only so good as long as you maintain this level of performance in the knockout stages, when it really matters.

I don't recall any other top 6 manager coming out publically and saying they are focusing on the league and CL/EL and less so on the English cups. This was a big story when he said it, which is my case in point that is doesn't often happen.

This squad is great and this is a time when trophies need to be getting won, as it is difficult to maintain a team of that level, and soon rivals overtake.

You are talking as a Utd fan and thinking like a Utd fan rather than a Spurs fan who as others have pointed out have had next to no success for a very long time. This has been a successful season - our main objective was to get champions league football again which given the move to Wembley was no means certain at all. We had a good run in the Champions League getting out of a very tough group and we got to the Semi's in the FA Cup which is really when our only real disappointment of the season occurred as I'd hoped we could get to a final.

Yeah, can't argue with that. Finishing top 4 was the number one priority for Spurs this season and they have achieved that. Can't help but wonder how much further Poch can take this Spurs team. With the inevitable sales of Toby and Rose on the horizon, it will be absolutely essential to keep the rest if the squad in tact. The likes of Kane and Eriksen will need properly looking after with regards their salary. There are many potential suitors that will step up should that not happen.

How much in the way of transfer funds do you expect Poch to be allocated this summer?

Very convenient thing to say - you will mention the same drivel over and over until the day you die, and you’d never admit to any bad judgement calls. A winning culture is built on winning trophies, even a Carabao Cup would mean the world to a smaller club like Tottenham right now. Yet another season where at least two bigger clubs find themselves in the darkness, and you are nowhere to be seen - even with a mighty fine squad.

We are talking about a club with two measly league titles in their entire history, the last won 60 years ago - the last FA Cup almost 30 years back in time.... yet you dare speak about «priorities» on the nicer trophies you have absolutely no chance of winning!? Amazingly arrogant and hipsterish. A trophy, any trophy would do - and you failed miserably yet again. Tottenham really should have gone all-in on the Carabao this year, the tournament they actually stand a chance at winning - instead they rested the best players and crashed out to West Ham.

I never said that Poch said they were unimportant and don't matter; unless you misread what I typed, in which case I'll ignore this point.

I said that he commented that they were not as important, which is basically what you have confirmed. My point is that there is no need to make these comments publically as everything will be read by the players and this attitude transcends into their performances, as seen with another trophyless year. Beating Real Madrid in the CL is only so good as long as you maintain this level of performance in the knockout stages, when it really matters.

I don't recall any other top 6 manager coming out publically and saying they are focusing on the league and CL/EL and less so on the English cups. This was a big story when he said it, which is my case in point that is doesn't often happen.

This squad is great and this is a time when trophies need to be getting won, as it is difficult to maintain a team of that level, and soon rivals overtake.

Sorry, I don't agree. Players like to know what the priorities are and they are not stupid. In any given game, for instance, is the priority attack or is it defence?

Besides, you might as well equally argue that Poch making publicly clear his campaign priorities will lead to improved performances in the CL and in the league games.

The campaign prioritisation is to do with team selection and squad rotation than anything else..

Yeah, can't argue with that. Finishing top 4 was the number one priority for Spurs this season and they have achieved that. Can't help but wonder how much further Poch can take this Spurs team. With the inevitable sales of Toby and Rose on the horizon, it will be absolutely essential to keep the rest if the squad in tact. The likes of Kane and Eriksen will need properly looking after with regards their salary. There are many potential suitors that will step up should that not happen.

How much in the way of transfer funds do you expect Poch to be allocated this summer?

I think we will spend about £100-150 million though we will sell Rose, Toby, Dembele I reckon which should get us around £80-100 million depending on how much we get for them.

Not this season we werent - very few people had us in the top 4 this year
You kept your best players and strengthen a bit (granted, opposition strengthened more) - I think at the beginning of the season you looked much stronger than at the beginning of any other season last years. No way you were not aiming at any trophy.

You kept your best players and strengthen a bit (granted, opposition strengthened more) - I think at the beginning of the season you looked much stronger than at the beginning of any other season last years. No way you were not aiming at any trophy.

Oh we wanted a trophy don't get me wrong but no way were we seen as title challengers - most pundits had us out of the top 4 due to the Wembley move and our rivals outspending us massively yet again.

I think we will see a record spend and I think and a move to buying a more established level of player rather than going for ones we have to work on. There is certainly one who is currently a Red Devil I would very much love to see coming our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.