The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you expect to go crazy in the market - whilst still only being able to pay 100k? Doesn’t make sense, the best players don’t want to sign for Spurs - they don’t have the incentives. ...

I haven't said that Spurs will "go crazy" in the market, only that I expect our net-spend transfer budget will be increased significantly this summer to mark our entry in the new stadium.

We've not had trouble attracting talented players before - e.g. Sanchez last summer, Son, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Alli etc. prior to that - so I don't see why we should struggle in that department now, especially since it looks like we'll again have CL football on offer.

If United want to pay 300k per week to attract the likes of Alexis Sanchez, then good luck to you. Spurs can't and won't pay those sort of silly wages ... and nor do we need to.

But surely this will be restricted given debt repayments & inevitable hikes in key player's salaries? I appreciate you won't offer everyone a new bumper deal but surely most of the first team will get a decent increase.

Can Levy really go out and splash £70m+ on a player (and that's not even enough for the top players anymore) without selling someone?

The problem is they will lose players.

Selling Walker was a lose.
Then not playing Rose and Aderweireld regularly because of their contract situations also cost them this season.

Eriksen and Son both have two years left. If they dont sign new contracts Spurs will have to sell.

But surely this will be restricted given debt repayments & inevitable hikes in key player's salaries? I appreciate you won't offer everyone a new bumper deal but surely most of the first team will get a decent increase.

Can Levy really go out and splash £70m+ on a player (and that's not even enough for the top players anymore) without selling someone?

Yes, of course. We are one of the most profitable clubs in the Prem (c. £149m combined profits - after tax and interest - from the last four published annual accounts), so spending £70m without selling would hardly be beyond us.

But the point is moot, because we most likely will be selling some players.

I win 200 if they don't blow it and finish 3rd (bet on that top 3 with City and Utd in both orders 1-2). A dour Conte draw against Liverpool will make me feel better though, I don't trust them against Leicester on the final day at all.

But all you're doing is posting speculative statements with the only numbers used being thanks to a bigger tv deal which has nothing to do with Levy.
Unless there's some secret Spurs fans memo, I can't see what you're reading that hasn't been posted in this thread that gives you the right to say you're familiar with your finances over Utd fans.
If anything, this forum has posted every available article on the subject to a slightly unhealthy degree.

That's not the case. Spurs income has and will increased substantially in several ways apart from the Prem TV deal.

I've several times posted what these other increased sources of income are and will be. It's not a question of some secret Spurs fans memo: all of the information is in the public domain, but some opposition fans either choose to ignore this or don't know about it.

As of 10 months ago our annual income was c. £306m. In 10 months from now I expect it will be somewhere around the £400m mark.

The problem is they will lose players.

Selling Walker was a lose.
Then not playing Rose and Aderweireld regularly because of their contract situations also cost them this season.

Eriksen and Son both have two years left. If they dont sign new contracts Spurs will have to sell.

I don't think it's only because of the contract situations. Rose has not been as good as Davies this year when he has played imo, and Sanchez has been very good with Alderweireld coming back from a long injury and not been found good enough to break up the existing partnership. The contract situation may have something to do with it, but that's not the whole story.

I don't think it's only because of the contract situations. Rose has not been as good as Davies this year when he has played imo, and Sanchez has been very good with Alderweireld coming back from a long injury and not been found good enough to break up the existing partnership. The contract situation may have something to do with it, but that's not the whole story.

Davies and Sanchez have played well this season for the most part, but they're significant downgrades on a fully functioning Rose and Alderweireld. You would have to be in full denial to dispute this fact.

The contract situations have had a far more detrimental affect than you care to realise. You cannot expect a footballer to perform at optimum levels of commitment and desire if the club they play for is unwilling to mirror those emotions by way of a huge contract offer. Not when they can simply leave for a new club whom will happily give them everything they desire and more.

It's all about the money for these lad's.

Not a cats chance in hell Eriksen leaves this summer. Alderweireld and Rose will but spurs have done fine without them.

I wouldnt be so certain, this summer is when he will be worth the big bucks, give him another year and his value will drop quite dramatically with only 1 year left on his contract. We all know how much Levy likes to get the most out of his transactions and this xfer would be the time to cash in.

This summer, Alderwiereld, Rose and Dembele will probably leave.

As for Dembele, that is a difficult one, he may want one last payout in China. Or he could be content to play a much bigger bench role and stay in London, realising his body just cant stand up to the rigours it once could.

Davies and Sanchez have played well this season for the most part, but they're significant downgrades on a fully functioning Rose and Alderweireld. You would have to be in full denial to dispute this fact.

The contract situations have had a far more detrimental affect than you care to realise. You cannot expect a footballer to perform at optimum levels of commitment and desire if the club they play for is unwilling to mirror those emotions by way of a huge contract offer. Not when they can simply leave for a new club whom will happily give them everything they desire and more.

It's all about the money for these lad's.

Davies is different than Rose, he lacks Rose's attacking play but I think he is much more solid defensively from the Spurs games ive seen. Sanchez is a clear downgrade from Alderweireld, but Spurs are looking to the future here. He has done phenomenally well for a first season 21 y/o CB in this league. Yes he has made errors, and been caught out occasionally, but could be the real deal in a couple years.

I agree on the contracts, but as I said earlier I think Spurs just need to be in the ballpark contract wise and the players will be happy, provided they have CL football. The rumoured 200k a week for Kane will also manifest for contract improvements for the likes of Eriksen and co. Will it be as much as other clubs? No of course not. But it will be almost doubling what they currently get and may convince a lot of the non mercenary types to stay on for another year or 2. Obviously if clubs like Barca/RM come in for players they are gone, but you could make this argument for just about any club.

Aurier is a clear downgrade from Walker, they arnt even worth discussing it's that obvious. The biggest part of Walkers game is the fact he very rarely gets skinned, I remember his stats for this were off the charts. Trippier I honestly dont mind, needs to sharpen up his game man marking defensively, gets beaten too often, but his decision making in attack and delivery into the box is great, better than Walker in this aspect.

For the Spurs fans, do any of these players have a future at Spurs Sissoko, Aurier, Lamela, N'Koudu, Janssen?

Get the feeling this group of players might've peaked.

Thought they were better to watch previous two seasons, last few weeks they've been really poor.

Lloris looks in decline now so need to scout a younger keeper and suddenly toothless with Kane not fit, Son seems to have clocked off for the world cup.

They are still punching well above their weight.
The thing about punching above their weight is debatable. What I meant is sure they finished above, making top 4 consistently now above more funded team in individual seasons. Yet they still lose out to one or few other better funded team and win nothing. In other word peaking sooner than expectation. It's basically Arsenal theme for years. What if it's about them peaking with a good set of players and the manager like with Wenger & Arsenal and in long run, thing balance out as they can't keep underpay players compare to market rate. Look at Arsenal, in the end they end up invest heavy and overpay squad players. Managing people is different than property. You can't under maintain and underpay while hoping for steady progress forever.

A loss today but i think they'll make top 4.

It's not like United haven't been beaten by any team from the bottom of the table this season or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spurs income has increased 56% in 2 years, as of 10 months ago. It will have increased further since then and will go up much further next season, taking us into the global top 10 income-wise

Moreover, Spurs can if needed either negotiate to extend the repayment period, or else take out another loan to pay off the remainder of the £400m.

Not if needed, You will surely have to refinance the debt. The outstanding debt at the end of five years will be either refinanced or long term bond will be issued to payoff.

As per you: Because we posted record revenue of over £306m for the year ended 30 June 2017 (that's as of nearly 10 months ago - our revenues will have gone up further since then), with a profit for the year after interest and tax of £41.2m.

Thats not enough to payoff some 550M debt (going by the posts here 850M stadium costs- 300M own money) and its interest in 5 years. But its not a problem as the club will refinance it later. I also agree that spending 100M on trasnfers is still not a problem, as it will add some amortized amount of 20M a year. But north of 100M - its very difficult.

I am guessing Spurs will sell naming rights on the stadium to ease the financial pressure, and i think its logical thing to do.

:lol: Spurs, WBA had 1 shot on target the whole game and scored. Eriksen the only Spurs player looking to make stuff happen and he will be sold in the summer. How does Lamela get games? Wouldnt look out of place in Watford line up.

Doom? Win our last 2 games at home and we finish third... decent season :D.

Yes, that's true, but are you factoring all the variables in to this assessment, specifically the whole 'Spurs being very Spursy this time of year'?

Hope you do make top 4 along with Chelsea though. Liverpool missing out would make for quite the party around my way.

Yes, that's true, but are you factoring all the variables in to this assessment, specifically the whole 'Spurs being very Spursy this time of year'?

Hope you do make top 4 along with Chelsea though. Liverpool missing out would make for quite the party around my way.

Ha the grinny emoji was there to signify that I’m not exactly 100% confident. I’m not then happiest Spurs supporter right now for a number of reasons. We have indeed been very Spursy on all fronts this season. Dropping silly points in the league when we really should have been battling for second with yourselves and not turning up in the FA cup semi and lastly the whole Harrygate situation. Just want to get top for and enjoy the World Cup now and see our new home next season.

Pochettino is a great manager without a doubt but his blatant favoritism for his fellow Argentinian Lamela, who has performed poorly in general with awful returns (0 goal, 2 assists in 21 games in the league), has hurt the team this season. They may even be challenging us for the 2nd place spot if Lamela didn't play in so many of their games.

It really would be quite delightful to see Chelsea sneak the CL spot. Not too bothered over which of the other two miss out.

Pochettino is a great manager without a doubt but his blatant favoritism for his fellow Argentinian Lamela, who has performed poorly in general with awful returns (0 goal, 2 assists in 21 games in the league), has hurt the team this season. They may even be challenging us for the 2nd place spot if Lamela didn't play in so many of their games.
I don't think so because he needs to play. Alli has played almost all the minutes this season and might be burned out this summer. Eriksen is the same. It's not unlikely that both of them have been feeling it in the last couple of months and have been unable to bring their A-game consistently because of that. That's not good for Spurs as the bulk of their attack hinges on those two.

Not a huge amount wrong with their season. January-March they're the most inform team in the league. They get knocked out of the CL when they should have won both legs. Lost to us in the semis in the FA Cup which isn't abnormal.

They should finish 3rd because they've got 2 home games left against teams that have gone on holiday.

I don't think so because he needs to play. Alli has played almost all the minutes this season and might be burned out this summer. Eriksen is the same. It's not unlikely that both of them have been feeling it in the last couple of months and have been unable to bring their A-game consistently because of that. That's not good for Spurs as the bulk of their attack hinges on those two.

Not a huge amount wrong with their season. January-March they're the most inform team in the league. They get knocked out of the CL when they should have won both legs. Lost to us in the semis in the FA Cup which isn't abnormal.

They should finish 3rd because they've got 2 home games left against teams that have gone on holiday.

Eriksen and Alli hardly ever get rested though like yous said. Lamela has almost always played in place of Son rather than to give Eriksen and Alli any rest. Lucas was also hardly given a sniff in the team because Pochettino played Lamela at every opportunity since his return from injury. Kind of hard to expect somebody to start playing to their full potential in a new league while hardly playing.

Eriksen and Alli hardly ever get rested though like yous said. Lamela has almost always played in place of Son rather than to give Eriksen and Alli any rest. Lucas was also hardly given a sniff in the team because Pochettino played Lamela at every opportunity since his return from injury. Kind of hard to expect somebody to start playing to their full potential in a new league while hardly playing.
Doesn't that work the same way for Lamela? He was injured for a long time shortly after joining Spurs and has had a hard time getting going properly. Lucas basically arrived injured and then became proper injured having played very little earlier in the season. He would have been used more had he been more fit.

It's also a question about mentality. Some players get subbed more and are benched more simply because they can take it and do take it. Someone like Alli might sulk or throw a fit if benched (not saying he personally would but there's at least some reason why he always plays). Footballers are so different like that. One player out of 25 might need to be babied in order to function which is perhaps why he'll play well at one club and shit at another. Some players it doesn't matter if they're injured, they're just perpetually match fit (Sadio Mané, Kante, Sanchéz). Poch knows Lamela has talent but he's not just getting it out of him but you'd at least think that Lamela's mindset in training is good since he's playing so much but on the other hand if you look at some of our players and why they don't play you can guess that it's because they're just not up for it or doing enough in training.

Doesn't that work the same way for Lamela? He was injured for a long time shortly after joining Spurs and has had a hard time getting going properly. Lucas basically arrived injured and then became proper injured having played very little earlier in the season. He would have been used more had he been more fit.

It's also a question about mentality. Some players get subbed more and are benched more simply because they can take it and do take it. Someone like Alli might sulk or throw a fit if benched (not saying he personally would but there's at least some reason why he always plays). Footballers are so different like that. One player out of 25 might need to be babied in order to function which is perhaps why he'll play well at one club and shit at another. Some players it doesn't matter if they're injured, they're just perpetually match fit (Sadio Mané, Kante, Sanchéz). Poch knows Lamela has talent but he's not just getting it out of him but you'd at least think that Lamela's mindset in training is good since he's playing so much but on the other hand if you look at some of our players and why they don't play you can guess that it's because they're just not up for it or doing enough in training.

I mentioned Lucas as well but Son has been the biggest victim of Pochettino's seemingly obvious bias, for what, being a nice guy and not sulking? He plays one or two games without performing amazingly, he gets dropped immediately for the next couple games. And he is himself somebody who plays much better with a run of games. For someone who has the second highest goal tally in the team while playing in the wings most of the time, he really gets shafted in the starting line up. His confidence looks shot recently after getting dropped so often for Lamela.

Lamela just isn't good enough to start for Tottenham and it doesn't make sense to keep starting him hoping he will eventually become good enough to deserve starting 11.

I mentioned Lucas as well but Son has been the biggest victim of Pochettino's seemingly obvious bias, for what, being a nice guy and not sulking? He plays one or two games without performing amazingly, he gets dropped immediately for the next couple games. And he is himself somebody who plays much better with a run of games. For someone who has the second highest goal tally in the team while playing in the wings most of the time, he really gets shafted in the starting line up. His confidence looks shot recently after getting dropped so often for Lamela.

Lamela just isn't good enough to start for Tottenham and it doesn't make sense to keep starting him hoping he will eventually become good enough to deserve starting 11.
I'm saying that some players do get subbed and benched more often than others simply because they can handle it and will continue to behave, train and perform the same way regardless. I don't know if that's the case with Son but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Being a manager is a lot more complicated than just picking 11 players. You need to keep a whole squad happy throughout an entire year and in order to do that you need to find a balance and that means knowing the mental strengths and weaknesses of your players and how to handle it.

When you're fighting on multiple fronts over the course of ~50 games you'd want as many players readily available to step in without a hitch. For Poch that means playing Lamela.

For Son specifically there can be more factors. Perhaps he's just way better for the first 60 minutes of the match than he is in the last 30 and therefor it's better to sub him off whilst for Alli or Eriksen that doesn't matter. Poch has those details available to him, he knows them better and he's got his reasons for which he bases his decisions on.

Status
Not open for further replies.