The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you reckon as most probable? Spurs losing some stars that want parity of wages with their level of players at other clubs, or these infamous chickens finally coming home to roost for United?

The former is predicted without fail as we approach each summer, but never really has much impact on Spurs.

The latter depends on how many more hundreds of millions United spend this summer.

The former is predicted without fail as we approach each summer, but never really has much impact on Spurs.

The latter depends on how many more hundreds of millions United spend this summer.

See the poster above, United got double the revenue that Spurs got.

United spending £80m on a player and paying him 300k\week is akin to Spurs spending £40m on a player and paying him 150k\week, hardly something that would have been seen as irresponsible expenditure, is it?

Spurs' revenue is only 53% that of United. How else would Spurs realistically be able to increase its revenue without moving to a new bigger stadium?

It's a catch-22 for them: stay, and they'll always need to shop at the mid-shelves and hope to strike gold with bargain buys like Eriksen etc., or move, and be saddled with ~10 years of restrictive debt which cancels out any extra revenue the stadium would generate.

Also, it was pie in the sky stuff from Levy and Spurs to expect the project to only cost £400m. Absolute naivety, hence the LOL factor.

Going to be hard for Spurs over the next 5 years. We seen how much Arsenal struggled with their new stadium and the market is even more crazy now. Back then, you could still get bargains and top class players for £20-30m, even back-up players cost £20-35m nowadays, so while the inflation of transfers have went up, the revenue of having a new stadium has stayed the same relatively, give or take a few million.
The flip-side of that is they could sell Kane for £200m, which is about eight times more than Arsenal got for any player when they were paying off their debt. Add to that, their revenue will probably be a lot higher than Arsenal's was during that period, even if they don't regularly qualify for the CL.

It's a catch-22 for them: stay, and they'll always need to shop at the mid-shelves and hope to strike gold with bargain buys like Eriksen etc., or move, and be saddled with ~10 years of restrictive debt which cancels out any extra revenue the stadium would generate.

Also, it was pie in the sky stuff from Levy and Spurs to expect the project to only cost £400m. Absolute naivety, hence the LOL factor.

It won't - you're clearly not familiar with the economics of the situation. Compared to WHL the club will bring in far more each year than the annual debt repayment costs.

Pochetino is a very good manager and he deserves massive credit for developing spurs into a formidable team , however with the squad he has he must be doing more , at least win a trophy or two. This is one of the best Spurs squad and a squad which is good enough to be in top 4 so I dont understand when people say he is punching above his weight , which is absolutely not true. Kane, alli, eriksen, lloris, vertongen, son, dembele all are good enough to play for many top clubs so what spurs have achieved this season is a bare minimum.

It won't - you're clearly not familiar with the economics of the situation. Compared to WHL the club will bring in far more each year than the annual debt repayment costs.

Will you be able to spend what it will take to win trophies simultanously though? You can't bet on unearthing gems like Eriksen and Son every time, besides a punt these days are £30m, not £15m like it used to be.

Also no matter how much you deny it, sooner or later your top players will want wage parity with their equals in the PL. United wouldn't get away with paying under the odds, City wouldn't, Chelsea wouldn't and sooner or later Spurs won't either. If you were raking in the trophies it might work, but that isn't exactly happening for the time being.

Will be interesting because if the stadium is as profitable as hoped, surely Spurs will have to start paying salaries similar to those at Chelsea/ Man Utd/ City level which is a huge step up from the present. I don't have a clue what the estimated revenue will be but I'd expect your wage bill to rocket to at least Chelsea levels ~£220m p/a. If you add that onto the debt repayment, surely there'll be a quiet few seasons of transfers whilst the club acclimatizes (a la Arsenal's move)?

Will be interesting because if the stadium is as profitable as hoped, surely Spurs will have to start paying salaries similar to those at Chelsea/ Man Utd/ City level which is a huge step up from the present. I don't have a clue what the estimated revenue will be but I'd expect your wage bill to rocket to at least Chelsea levels ~£220m p/a. If you add that onto the debt repayment, surely there'll be a quiet few seasons of transfers whilst the club acclimatizes (a la Arsenal's move)?

Of course we'll start to pay more in wages - to selected players - but I doubt we'll start paying as much as Chelsea do currently.

And whether Chelsea will be able to continue with their current wage bill would seem open to question, unless their sugar-daddy dips into his pocket again, because they'll have a new stadium to build - with legal and design costs already accruing - and likely no CL football next season.

I don't expect our low net spend to continue at such low levels as before. In fact this summer I expect Levy will want to make a statement with our net transfer budget, to mark our entry in the new stadium.

Carrick is our next manager, just got that feeling.
I love Carrick so if he could become our next manager and do well that'd be amazing. As it is right now I'm all for Poch after José's done.

I dont think wages will need to be on par for most players to be content, just in the ballpark which they are not atm. Sure you have those mercenary players like say an Adebayor, but for the most part a lot of players will be more concerned about CL qualification and content with that if the wages are close. But what was the rumour? 200 000 a week for Kane? I think he will be fine with that, id be more worried if I was a Spurs fan about missing out on CL 2 years in a row. Then I think you would see Kane looking to move, I would imagine he would give them a year to get back in. After that though.....

As for losing players they don't necessarily want to lose Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen are the three id imagine will move on. But Spurs will be very well compensated, if Eriksen moves it's going to be for a massive fee. And you can't tell me big clubs are not interested, he is class. You would imagine Levy will try and squeeze the most out of the Alderweireld and Rose deals.

Plus they will probably move on players that just havnt stepped up, Sissoko, N'koudu, Aurier, Lamela, Janssen(LOL) being the ones that spring to mind. Spurs could head into the xfer window with a lot of spending money if all those players move on.

Spurs income has increased 56% in 2 years, as of 10 months ago. It will have increased further since then and will go up much further next season, taking us into the global top 10 income-wise

Moreover, Spurs can if needed either negotiate to extend the repayment period, or else take out another loan to pay off the remainder of the £400m.

You can thank the bigwigs who negotiate the Premier League and Champions League TV deals for that.

To put a bit of background around this out of the £110m revenue growth over the past two years only £29.5m of this has come from club generated commercial sources and over £40m is as a result of CL qualification.

Whilst we're massaging figures to try and illustrate huge but non-relevant turnover growth why don't we look at Spurs growth in comparison to Leicester over the past 2 years.

Spurs - 56%
Leicester - 124%

Then lets look at director salaries:

Spurs - £9m
Leicester - £325k

Oh dear.

Last edited:
Spurs income has increased 56% in 2 years, as of 10 months ago. It will have increased further since then and will go up much further next season, taking us into the global top 10 income-wise

Moreover, Spurs can if needed either negotiate to extend the repayment period, or else take out another loan to pay off the remainder of the £400m.
What has been the source of this massive increase in income apart from TV deals? If it's mainly due to TV deals, why are you so sure it will go up much further this coming season? Yes the gate receipts will help but TV income will not increase much because of the way it is structured.

When you look at stadium debt which needs to be paid and the contracts that need to be negotiated for the players, how can you be so upbeat about your team's chances? Not saying you don't have a good team but will you be able to keep it that way?

Pochetino is a very good manager and he deserves massive credit for developing spurs into a formidable team , however with the squad he has he must be doing more , at least win a trophy or two. This is one of the best Spurs squad and a squad which is good enough to be in top 4 so I dont understand when people say he is punching above his weight , which is absolutely not true. Kane, alli, eriksen, lloris, vertongen, son, dembele all are good enough to play for many top clubs so what spurs have achieved this season is a bare minimum.

Only one of these players is reportedly on more than £100k a week (Lloris)

At any other top club and these guys are on over £150k a week

Some of them closer to £180k - £200k

Nice to see none mercenary behaviour but they are low salaries in todays footballing world for that kind of quality

He’s a fan of the club and trust me, not all United fans are fully convinced and behind Mourinho.

How on earth did you get hate from that statement?

"I hope it’s three and I hope he wins multiple titles because I think he’s a fantastic manager"

I dont doubt he is a fan of United, no one does but i dont think its controversial to say he doesnt like Jose. Half of Caf hate Jose, is that controversial too?
This is the same man who said give Moyes more time and trust him and berated United for sacked that clown. This is the same man who said Giggs is the answer when Moyes left. How on earth he can said give Moyes six years but Jose can go after one year or maximum three years? He cant wait to see the back of Jose, no doubt as many here too.
Anyway this is Spurs thread, sorry for derailed.

Fairly much, yes.
But all you're doing is posting speculative statements with the only numbers used being thanks to a bigger tv deal which has nothing to do with Levy.
Unless there's some secret Spurs fans memo, I can't see what you're reading that hasn't been posted in this thread that gives you the right to say you're familiar with your finances over Utd fans.
If anything, this forum has posted every available article on the subject to a slightly unhealthy degree.

I dont think wages will need to be on par for most players to be content, just in the ballpark which they are not atm. Sure you have those mercenary players like say an Adebayor, but for the most part a lot of players will be more concerned about CL qualification and content with that if the wages are close. But what was the rumour? 200 000 a week for Kane? I think he will be fine with that, id be more worried if I was a Spurs fan about missing out on CL 2 years in a row. Then I think you would see Kane looking to move, I would imagine he would give them a year to get back in. After that though.....

As for losing players they don't necessarily want to lose Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen are the three id imagine will move on. But Spurs will be very well compensated, if Eriksen moves it's going to be for a massive fee. And you can't tell me big clubs are not interested, he is class. You would imagine Levy will try and squeeze the most out of the Alderweireld and Rose deals.

Plus they will probably move on players that just havnt stepped up, Sissoko, N'koudu, Aurier, Lamela, Janssen(LOL) being the ones that spring to mind. Spurs could head into the xfer window with a lot of spending money if all those players move on.

Not a cats chance in hell Eriksen leaves this summer. Alderweireld and Rose will but spurs have done fine without them.

This summer, Alderwiereld, Rose and Dembele will probably leave. I'd be shocked if they are replaced with better players.
Spurs and Pochettino have done an incredible job but at some point the inevitable will start to set in. One can argue it has already started. Walker and Rose were the best fullbacks in the league by some distance. Although they have been replaced by two decent players, Triper and Davies are nowhere close to those two in their pomp.
I think Pochettino is realises this and at some point will put his personal ambitions ahead of the club's.
The stadium further complicates matters. Pro who think the bigger stadium means they are immediately able to attract bigger talent and pay bigger wages are deluding themselves.

What has been the source of this massive increase in income apart from TV deals? If it's mainly due to TV deals, why are you so sure it will go up much further this coming season? Yes the gate receipts will help but TV income will not increase much because of the way it is structured.
It also went up from qualifying for the CL but they can't get that boost in income again. However, they will have brought in more this season from getting further in the CL. Being at Wembley this season will also increase their revenue and the move to the new stadium next season will further increase it.

PL money could safely be predicted to increase with the new three year cycle starting from 2019. The domestic rights are the same but it is thought that this will be offset by a significant bump in the foreign rights. Currently the worth across 3 seasons is £8bn; this could rise to £10bn.

In short:

2016/17-£306m
2017/18-move to Wembley plus Ro16 in CL
2018/19-higher gate receipts (I think) from new stadium plus naming rights
2019/20-improved PL deal

I dont doubt he is a fan of United, no one does but i dont think its controversial to say he doesnt like Jose. Half of Caf hate Jose, is that controversial too?
This is the same man who said give Moyes more time and trust him and berated United for sacked that clown. This is the same man who said Giggs is the answer when Moyes left. How on earth he can said give Moyes six years but Jose can go after one year or maximum three years? He cant wait to see the back of Jose, no doubt as many here too.
Anyway this is Spurs thread, sorry for derailed.

It's not controversial for sure and sorry I made it seem like it was. In any case Neville has never called for any manager to be sacked which is why he backed Moyes, through gritted teeth I imagine. He hasn't called for Mourinho to leave after 3 years, just when he is finished and left on his own terms. I doubt anyone sees Jose as a long term option at the club.

On a side note, I must have missed the whole "Giggs should take over after Moyes". Do you have a link to that? Can't find it on google myself.

It also went up from qualifying for the CL but they can't get that boost in income again. However, they will have brought in more this season from getting further in the CL. Being at Wembley this season will also increase their revenue and the move to the new stadium next season will further increase it.

PL money could safely be predicted to increase with the new three year cycle starting from 2019. The domestic rights are the same but it is thought that this will be offset by a significant bump in the foreign rights. Currently the worth across 3 seasons is £8bn; this could rise to £10bn.

In short:

2016/17-£306m
2019/20-improved PL deal
This improved PL deal will be for all teams so won't just simply help Spurs. If the deal value increases, the prices will rise more which brings things back to square 1.

Of course we'll start to pay more in wages - to selected players - but I doubt we'll start paying as much as Chelsea do currently.

And whether Chelsea will be able to continue with their current wage bill would seem open to question, unless their sugar-daddy dips into his pocket again, because they'll have a new stadium to build - with legal and design costs already accruing - and likely no CL football next season.

I don't expect our low net spend to continue at such low levels as before. In fact this summer I expect Levy will want to make a statement with our net transfer budget, to mark our entry in the new stadium.

How do you expect to go crazy in the market - whilst still only being able to pay 100k? Doesn’t make sense, the best players don’t want to sign for Spurs - they don’t have the incentives. Ah, Spurs are always winning (according to you), except for where it matters the most of course. Yet another season without a trophy. Kyle Walker left last year, tripled his income and won two trophies immediately. How do you think that feels for Kane, Eriksen et al? A tiny little sting?

This improved PL deal will be for all teams so won't just simply help Spurs. If the deal value increases, the prices will rise more which brings things back to square 1.
It will still make it easier for them to pay off the debt.

It will still make it easier for them to pay off the debt.
That could still be the case but it still means they will have a struggle on their hands to keep the squad together as increasing their pay won't be easy at all.

But surely this will be restricted given debt repayments & inevitable hikes in key player's salaries? I appreciate you won't offer everyone a new bumper deal but surely most of the first team will get a decent increase.

Can Levy really go out and splash £70m+ on a player (and that's not even enough for the top players anymore) without selling someone?

In short:

2016/17-£306m
2019/20-improved PL deal

You're forgetting:

2017/18 (and onwards): Improved shirt deal: switch from Under Armour to Nike

2018/19 (and onwards) - not an exhaustive list:
* Much higher income from corporate boxes
* Income from a variety of non-football events & facilities (multi-event, multi-purpose stadium complex)
* Income from the NFL
* Most likely higher commercial income from a variety of merchandising (e.g. via what will be the largest club shop in Europe).

Status
Not open for further replies.