71. If...
72. All the President's Men
73. Get Carter (original)
74. Fargo
75. Stand by Me
76. Breathless
77. The Grapes of Wrath
78. Day for Night
79. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956 version)

80. Orphee
81. The Vanishing (Original)
82. Scream
83. Yojimbo
84. Gone with the Wind
85. The 400 Blows
86. Blue Velvet
87. Platoon
88. Deliverance
89. Triumph of the Will

90. Pulp Fiction
91. Gun Crazy
92. The Last Seduction
93. Raiders of the Lost Ark
94. October
95. Infernal Affairs
96. Performance
97. The Remains of the Day
98. Persona
99. White Heat
100. High Plains Drifter

I have to question your placing of This Is Spinal Tap at number six?

Very odd position considering the heavy wieghts in that list further down the pecking order.

Good film and funny too, but the sixth best film ever made?

I can't see it.

Spoony, this is all your fault.

I thought we were going with the weighting system? 100-1 pts and just tally them up. Simple as.

I'm not a part of the panel, but I think there should be an additional parameter to the weighting system that accounts for low-ranking movies that appear on multiple lists.

That way, if movies are ranked low, but still appear on multiple lists they have a better chance of making the final list than a questionable film that is ranked quite high on only one list.

I'm not a part of the panel, but I think there should be an additional parameter to the weighting system that accounts for low-ranking movies that appear on multiple lists.

That way, if movies are ranked low, but still appear on multiple lists they have a better chance of making the final list than a questionable film that is ranked quite high on only one list.

Hehe.

This is gonna cause so many arguments.

Its all about points..

If 1 movie appears 4 times at number 75, it will have more points that 1 movie appearing at number 30

so will be placed higher on the final list

Very odd position considering the heavy wieghts in that list further down the pecking order.

I can't see it.

Hammer's list is decent overall, but some choices I found a tad strange. Seven, Usual Suspects far far too high. I love a Tale of Two Sisters, it's one of my favourites but 28th best film of all time??? Casablanca should've been higher. It's one of the most iconic films ever. And I'm shocked Empire's not in thee, again very important film.

Ok, how?

I can't see it.

I was basing my list mainly on influence, durability and originality to a particular genre...to my mind Spinal Tap does that for comedy (only beaten in my list by Some Like It Hot).

And yes, this is all your fault Spoony!

Hammer's list is decent overall, but some choices I found a tad strange. Seven, Usual Suspects far far too high. I love a Tale of Two Sisters, it's one of my favourites but 28th best film of all time??? Casablanca should've been higher. It's one of the most iconic films ever. And I'm shocked Empire's not in thee, again very important film.

Ok, how?
Usual suspects would be high on my as well.

I was working on the theory of greatness according to genre, and yes, I might have got a few films in unusual placings because of it. I went with New Hope as it was the kick-start to all the Star Wars stuff, even though Empire is probably the better film in terms of narrative (not a Star Wars fan, but felt one of them had to be in there). And yeah, perhaps Casablanca could have been higher, but its one of those films, like Kane, which I often neglect in lists like these.

Tale of Two Sisters I have placed right up there again for its generic qualities (all you M.Night Shylaman fans take note!)...but that's the beauty of lists like these, the subjectivity of it all....love it!

I was working on the theory of greatness according to genre, and yes, I might have got a few films in unusual placings because of it. I went with New Hope as it was the kick-start to all the Star Wars stuff, even though Empire is probably the better film in terms of narrative (not a Star Wars fan, but felt one of them had to be in there). And yeah, perhaps Casablanca could have been higher, but its one of those films, like Kane, which I often neglect in lists like these.

Tale of Two Sisters I have placed right up there again for its generic qualities (all you M.Night Shylaman fans take note!)...but that's the beauty of lists like these, the subjectivity of it all....love it!

Empire and SW both make my list. Films don;t get more iconic than those two. And even then Hammer, 65th?? it not only influenced a genre but a whole generation.

Usual Suspects won't be in my 100, neither will Se7en.

Same here. Seven was the better of the two, though. I sussed out the twist in Usual Suspects from the beginning, and it spoilt the film for me. As for Seven, the film plodded along until the final sequence. I think it's easier to make films with unravelling plots, which I think is a form of deus ex machina. That said, Jacob's Ladder, Memento, Following and Tale of Two Sisters were all brilliant. Jacob's and Memento in particular, will make my list, you can watch them over and over again, and the fact that you know the ending doesn't spoil the movie. There's so much more to them than a twist.

When doing anything like this its difficult to divorce oneself from films that you think should be in there (Star Wars) and films that subjectively have merit, importance and cinematic qualities which sets them apart.

Se7en took huge risks in presenting its narrative they way it did - took the 'buddy' movie concept and opened it right up, had moments of stunning cinema - the 'sloth' sequence, chasing Doe through the buildings and into the rain outside, the moments of quiet where there is a prevailing sense of inevitable doom, imaginative use of soundtrack and editing, and the biggest gamble of all with its ending. The film is intelligent and plays against generic conventions all the way through. Its influence on crime (and horror) films since has been immense.

What compiling this list has done has made me re-evaulate the films I love and the films I respect in so much more detail. As a film lecturer its easy to get wrapped up in the technicalities and forget just what makes a film 'great' in the first place.

well said Michael

for the points system its all getting very complicated. I reckon we write them up on a big board and then throw darts at them

its all becoming very messy and its all spoonys fault

well said Michael

for the points system its all getting very complicated. I reckon we write them up on a big board and then throw darts at them

its all becoming very messy and its all spoonys fault

Or maybe just throw Spoony at them...seeing as its all his fault!

I think a straight 100-1 system will work though.

Points system is simple as explained in this thread.

Rank 1 gets 100 points, 2 99 pts and so on.......

Add them all up and you get a list.

When doing anything like this its difficult to divorce oneself from films that you think should be in there (Star Wars) and films that subjectively have merit, importance and cinematic qualities which sets them apart.

Se7en took huge risks in presenting its narrative they way it did - took the 'buddy' movie concept and opened it right up, had moments of stunning cinema - the 'sloth' sequence, chasing Doe through the buildings and into the rain outside, the moments of quiet where there is a prevailing sense of inevitable doom, imaginative use of soundtrack and editing, and the biggest gamble of all with its ending. The film is intelligent and plays against generic conventions all the way through. Its influence on crime (and horror) films since has been immense.

What compiling this list has done has made me re-evaulate the films I love and the films I respect in so much more detail. As a film lecturer its easy to get wrapped up in the technicalities and forget just what makes a film 'great' in the first place.

Spot on analysis, it was and still is now a great movie.

Points system is simple as explained in this thread.

Rank 1 gets 100 points, 2 99 pts and so on.......

Add them all up and you get a list.

This is the easiest way and the fairest, no need to over complicate it I feel.

I still don't see the fuss with Seven aside from it being a good movie. Have you lot watched it again?

It could make a top 500, though.

We need another rule.

A movie must be nominated by 3-4 people atleast to be on the final list. Otherwise someone puts up a movie at no.10 which no one has and that ends up being on the list ahead of a movie which everyone else has on at 90-100.

My list, now in order.

1.The Godfather
2.The Godfather 2
3.Double Indemnity
4.Some Like It Hot
5.Brief Encounter
6.This Is Spinal Tap
7.Sunrise
8.Vertigo
9.Night of the Living Dead
10. Manhattan

11. Taxi Driver
12. Bicycle Thieves
13. The Usual Suspects
14. Badlands
15. Se7en
16. Amelie
17. Schindler's List
18. On the Waterfront
19. Life of Brian
20. Don't Look Now

21. In the Mood for Love

22. Detour
23. Jaws
24. It's a Wonderful Life
25. North by Northwest
26. The Seven Samurai
27. Sunset Boulevard
28. A Tale of Two Sisters
29. Goodfellas
30. Dr Strangelove

31. Les Enfants du Paradis
32. Citizen Kane
33. Mulholland Drive
34. The Third Man
35. Das Boot
36. Chinatown
37. Sullivan's Travels
38. Casablanca
39. Brazil
40. Wings of Desire

41. Halloween

42. Lawrence of Arabia
43. 2001: A Space Odyssey
44. Les Diaboliques
45. Network
46. Modern Times
47. Bonnie and Clyde
48. Psycho
49. L.A. Confidential
50. Cabaret

51. La Dolce Vita
52. Bringing Up Baby
53. The Exorcist
54. The Great Escape
55. Annie Hall
56. 12 Angry Men
57. Blade Runner
58. Metropolis
59. Planet of the Apes

60. Raging Bull
61. Downfall
62. The Deerhunter
63. La Regle du Jeur
64. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
65. Star Wars: A New Hope
66. Papillon
67. A Woman Under the Influence
68. The French Connection
69. Rififi

70. Toy Story
71. If...
72. All the President's Men
73. Get Carter (original)
74. Fargo
75. Stand by Me
76. Breathless
77. The Grapes of Wrath
78. Day for Night
79. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956 version)

80. Orphee
81. The Vanishing (Original)
82. Scream
83. Yojimbo
84. Gone with the Wind
85. The 400 Blows
86. Blue Velvet
87. Platoon
88. Deliverance
89. Triumph of the Will

90. Pulp Fiction
91. Gun Crazy
92. The Last Seduction
93. Raiders of the Lost Ark
94. October
95. Infernal Affairs
96. Performance
97. The Remains of the Day
98. Persona
99. White Heat
100. High Plains Drifter

FFS :lol:

well putting Some like it hot at No 4 for a start:D

Pourquoi?

An undisputed classic of unmatched comedy genius, featuring a perfect cast, superb dialogue, spot-on direction and originality in spades.

Yes, I see your point, Topper.

Don't suppose you'd care to put up your top 100...after all "nobody's perfect".;)

How about we bunch up the Star Wars' as a single movie? And the Indiana Jones movies too? That'd give me 3 more spots and I really want to include a few more movies.