Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I've got Devil's Backbone on DVD. Watched it for 30 mins but I just couldn't get into to it. Is it any good?

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Decent enough watch, last 20 mins or so could've been better mind. Overall, it's clearly dated in many respects.

Then again, it parallels what's happening in the world today. US for example, not allowing nations they deem a risk to national security, to have nuclear weapons.

No Country for Old Men

It was Fargo all over again. Are there any Fargo fans here? They'll love this movie. I'm not a Fargo fan.

Anyway, Bardem was great. The first hour of this movie great and then it was just one anti-climax after another. I left the theater feeling cheated out of a good movie.

Then again, it parallels what's happening in the world today. US for example, not allowing nations they deem a risk to national security, to have nuclear weapons.

No-one sensible allows a nation they deem a risk to national security to get nukes. Not if they have the power to stop them. It's common sense.

No-one sensible allows a nation they deem a risk to national security to get nukes. Not if they have the power to stop them. It's common sense.

Yes. If they have the power. The alien planet did. . .like the US in this day and age, but there aren't many more, if any.

No Country for Old Men

It was Fargo all over again. Are there any Fargo fans here? They'll love this movie. I'm not a Fargo fan.

Anyway, Bardem was great. The first hour of this movie great and then it was just one anti-climax after another. I left the theater feeling cheated out of a good movie.
Very much looking forward to seeing this one.

The female lead was pretty hot and all. Paulette Goddard, I think, was her name.

I love Chapilin's song towards the end of Modern Times. As for City Lights, boxing scene was brilliant, perhaps more realistic than Rocky, with all the holding and all that. But yeah, enjoyed his films. I've got a couple of Chaplin DVDs(mainly shorts). Have you seen Safety Last! Hammer? I'd recommended it, you haven't already. Harold Lloyd was top.

No Country for Old Men

I watched a downloaded version of it with terrible print and sound, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I thought Bardem was excellent as well, and his character is one of the finest on-screen villains of recent times. But like you say, it was very anti-climatic, especially the ending. It all seemed set-up for a more Hollywood type of ending, so it really took me by surprise.

I'll have to give it a second watch, hopefully while it's still in the theatres or once it's out on DVD. Even if I don't warm up to the plot, I should still be able to appreciate the character development as well as Roger Deakins' masterful cinematography.

I loved Fargo, and so far I still think it's the best Coen Brothers film that I've seen.

Across the Universe. Visually, it is a fantastic film. For the most part, the cast's renditions of Beatles songs are good. Was a bit slow though. Some of the time you were just wanting them to get on with things. Overall I would say it's worth a watch.

Touch of Evil was very good. Cinematically it was a masterpiece. Not very dissimilar to The Third man, with the titled camera angles and use of light.

I'm in two minds as to whether to see I Am Legend, but have never been sure about Will Smith...thought he was great in Enemyof the State, but can't bear his 'comedy'.

Anyone seen it or thinking of seeing it?

Loved the book...unsure of film.

Just watched Hitman after i discovered they weren't showing The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward something someonesome. It was surprisingly ok. Tries very hard to be a Bourne film when it really isn't, but still totally watchable.

If its the comedy you are worried about then you should go and see it, Smith was quoted as saying that this film was so so hard to make because he was literally not aloud to make a single joke over a several month period

I'm going to watch the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance by John Ford right now. My first John Ford movie. Was just reading up on him.

-His four Best Director Academy Awards (1935, 1940, 1941, 1952) is a record still unmatched, although only one of those films, How Green Was My Valley, won Best Picture.

-His style of film-making has been tremendously influential, leading colleagues such as Ingmar Bergman and Orson Welles to name him as one of the greatest directors of all time.

-Ford has further influenced directors as diverse as Akira Kurosawa, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Sam Peckinpah, Peter Bogdanovich, Sergio Leone, Wim Wenders, Francois Truffaut, and Jean-Luc Godard.

Word up, fellas.

Ace in Hole - Very good(I don't know who's worse, the public or the media?? Madeline McCann case has been a soap opera. Not much changed has it)

Witness for the Prosecution - Again, very good. Loved Charles Laughton.

The Circus - Loved it. A few more Chaplin films on my to see list. I think I've become a fan.

Duck Soup - Insanely brilliant. Didn't know what to make of it at the beginning, it was mental. But it won me over half way through. Insane just about sums it up. Musical comedy that's a tad surreal.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Excellent. Was my first John Wayne movie too and he was far better than James Stewart. I'll have to get my hands on more John Ford movies.

Yeah, i'd read a lot of shit about him and I'd heard all his movies were cheesy westerns so wasn't expecting much. But really, he wasn't a bad actor at all and he outshone Stewart quite easily in this movie.

Well it keeps me out of the other forums, I guess. This is by far my fav forum on Redcafe. The rest are a bit gay. Example, Noodles and Salsa. Whatever next?

Out next project ought to be redcafe movie.

There'll be a 3 second clip of noodle falling over while attempting to dance in it.

mehro, you have counted at least 1000 of someone else's posts in this thread. You sad sad man...;)

Actually there's a very simple feature that tells you which poster has how many posts in a particular thread. This can be used by clicking on the total number of posts in a thread figure...

Oh you were being sarcastic..

We're about to hit 100 pages. if I remember correctly the only threads longer than this one are Slabber's fecking bollocks thread, that Tevez thread from the summer and the redcafe novel.