Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Odd Couple a good watch, Ole? oh and have you seen Les Enfants du Paradis? I'd recommend that to you, if you haven't already seen it. Le Reine Margot's brilliant, too.

Haven't seen that one yet. One of my roommates has it, haven't made the time to watch it. I will say that I did enjoy City of Lost Souls. At times he can do some great things, but that's negated by his too far off the wall bits.

I don't mind his offthe wall stuff.. Visitor Q, I thought was a masterpiece. Rainy Dog's not offbeat and it's a very good film, the last scene was used by Tarantino in Kill Bill 2. I loved Fudoh and all. Very comic booky.

The Odd Couple a good watch, Ole? oh and have you seen Les Enfants du Paradis? I'd recommend that to you, if you haven't already seen it. Le Reine Margot's brilliant, too.
Give the Odd Couple a watch. Mathiau/Lemmon are a great pairing. I don't think I've seen Les Enfants du Paradis. I've seen a couple movies with Les Enfants in the title, just not sure du Paradis is one of them.

I don't mind his offthe wall stuff.. Visitor Q, I thought was a masterpiece. Rainy Dog's not offbeat and it's a very good film, the last scene was used by Tarantino in Kill Bill 2. I loved Fudoh and all. Very comic booky.
Not to mention a girl shot darts out of her vagina, which then turned out to be a hermaphrodite, so really it was shot out of her/his top eye.

No. Recommend a few, Ole.

Hopefully, I'll have a decent top 100 by the deadline, which is why I'm watching so many. Plus, I love it. Reckon I'm addicted again.

No, no it's not. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Miike's work.*

*Though we should agree that I am right.

It was more fun. I think it was better in all departments. Mehro loved it and all, and thought it was better than Oldboy too. And he's always right when he's got the same opinion as me.

Drawing up another list(this way I can keep tabs):

Modern Times(loved City Lights)
Touch of Evil
Les Diaboliques
Out of the Past
African Queen
White Heat
Stalag 17
Witness for the Prosecution
One, Two, Three
Ace in the Hole(last 4 all Wilder)

(will add some more later)

You've got to add The Great Dictator (Chpalin) to that list.

His Dark Materials worth a read, Wibbs?

I've been planning to read that book for years now. It's ranked 3 on BBC's Big Read.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

I am going to drop out of the list thing. Too many movie to see. Won't be able to see them all before the deadline.

What Mehro said. I won't have seen enough films by the deadline, but I think that goes for most of us. I suppose we could update it next year.

A Streetcar Named Desire. Brilliant film. Vivian Leigh was amazing. . . up there with Gloriia Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

Actually the problem is I have just started on Xbox bandwagon.
And most of my time goes towards that. And then I will be in Indian from 19th Dec when I won't even get to see one movie.

What Mehro said. I won't have seen enough films by the deadline, but I think that goes for most of us. I suppose we could update it next year.
A Streetcar Named Desire. Brilliant film. Vivian Leigh was amazing. . . up there with Gloriia Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

Suppose that means I'm going to have to bribe more students with good grades to get them to collate the list - again!

Got a few lined up for the weekend (even though it is my twins birthday on Saturday!):

Desperado (Robert Rodrieguez - if only for Salma Hayek getting her norks out)

La Bete Humaine (Renoir)

and, if I have time, fancy re-watching Don't Look Now (Roeg) again. Now that's a director who hasn't yet had a mention.

Spooney and Ole...as fans of Asian horror, are either of you familar with a Japanese horror called Stacy? Lots of references to Evil Dead, and its got zombie Japanese schoolgirls with chainsaws...how could it possibly be a bad movie??!!!

Spooney and Ole...as fans of Asian horror, are either of you familar with a Japanese horror called Stacy? Lots of references to Evil Dead, and its got zombie Japanese schoolgirls with chainsaws...how could it possibly be a bad movie??!!!
I have not heard of that one, but anything with chainsaw wielding Japanese schoolgirls can't be bad.

I have not heard of that one, but anything with chainsaw wielding Japanese schoolgirls can't be bad.

I've bought two copies off Ebay...first only had Japanese language and no subtitles; the other was dubbed into Dutch (with no subtitles)...so now I can watch Japanese zombie schoolgirls speaking in Dutch accents but can't understand a word.

Who cares?:D

Saw that recently and liked it a lot though it's not as good as the Fritz Lang version Human Desire.

Haven't seen the Lang version in a very long time - must try and hunt it down.

The book by Emile Zola was superb...read three of his in three days a few years back - La Bete Humaine, La Germinal and the best of the lot, Therese Raquin (which I think has a film version).

The book by Emile Zola was superb...read three of his in three days a few years back - La Bete Humaine, La Germinal and the best of the lot, Therese Raquin (which I think has a film version).
Haven't read the book but I believe the Renoir version is a lot closer to it than the Lang. There must be French versions of Therese Raquin, though none spring to mind. There was a very good BBC adaptation years back.

Any of you bigger badder film buffs seen Del Torro's Mexican films? I have seen Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone, I also own but have not yet seen Cronos. Anything in this line you can recommend? Either other Del Torro or other directors?