Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Quatre cents coups, Les
Hiroshima mon amour
À bout de souffle

freakface delivers

I've seen only Hiroshima mon amour, so about the other two.. I can't really recommend them but they're supposed to be like some kind of cornerstones of french new wave cinema or something

or something else

Excellent, freaky. I've actually already downloaded 300 Blows and Breathless, the latter won't play suibs for some reason.

And ole, can you recommend some and all?

Excellent, freaky. I've actually already downloaded 300 Blows and Breathless, the latter won't play suibs for some reason.

And ole, can you recommend some and all?
Some French films:
Alphaville
Contempt
Le Petit Soldat
My Life to Live
Masculin Feminin
Pierrot Le Fou
A Woman is a Woman
Shoot the Piano Player
Cleo from 5 to 7
Bob Le Flambeour
Le Cercle Rouge
My Night at Maud's

Some Italian films:
L'Avventura
L'Eclisse
La Notte
Blow Up(not an italian neo-realist, but made by an Italian)

I need to think back and remember which other Italian Neo-Realist movies I have seen.

Some French films:
Alphaville
Contempt
Le Petit Soldat
My Life to Live
Masculin Feminin
Pierrot Le Fou
A Woman is a Woman
Shoot the Piano Player
Cleo from 5 to 7
Bob Le Flambeour
Le Cercle Rouge
My Night at Maud's

Some Italian films:
L'Avventura
L'Eclisse
La Notte

I need to think back and remember which other Italian Neo-Realist movies I have seen.

Ole - you seen these?
Roma: Citta Aperta
Bicycle Thieves

Some French films:
Alphaville
Contempt
Le Petit Soldat
My Life to Live
Masculin Feminin
Pierrot Le Fou
A Woman is a Woman
Shoot the Piano Player
Cleo from 5 to 7
Bob Le Flambeour
Le Cercle Rouge
My Night at Maud's

Some Italian films:
L'Avventura
L'Eclisse
La Notte

The Army of Shadows by Melville is also a very good film.

I saw Charles Laughton's "Night of the Hunter" last night. Wonderful film - very well shot and suspenseful.

That's a great movie by Michelangelo Antonioni! Made even better by the music of the Yardbirds. Jimmy page and Jeff beck playing together. The movie was made soon after Page had replaced Clapton in the band.

I thought it'd be average after watching The Birds. As for Rebecca it was brilliant. Don't; listen to Crappy, he thinks Forrest Gump, Crash and Requiem for a Dream are great films.
Only requiem out of that would possibly make my list. Rebecca would probably in your top 10.

Bicycle Thieves

Bicycle Thief is a masterpiece.Simple story but the cinematography and performances are brilliant. I remember reading somewhere that it was the primary influence on Martin Scorcese and Satyajit Ray's film making, which in itself should be reason enough to rate it highly.

Bicycle Thief is a masterpiece.Simple story but the cinematography and performances are brilliant. I remember reading somewhere that it was the primary influence on Martin Scorcese and Satyajit Ray's film making, which in itself should be reason enough to rate it highly.

I think Scorsese definately studied Bicycle Thieves for its realism when he was making Mean Streets - or so I read somewhere.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant film.

I think Scorsese definately studied Bicycle Thieves for its realism when he was making Mean Streets - or so I read somewhere.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant film.

I think he mentioned that in an interview with James Lipton(Inside the Actor's studio).

Dancer in the Dark - 6/10

I heard that this was a good film, but I was disappointed by it. It's supposed to be a very artistic and emotional tear-jerker, but I found it to be contrived and over the top. I was more annoyed by the plot-holes and caricatured naivete of Bjork's character than moved by it. The film is shot with a hand-held camera which I guess is supposed to heighten the sense of realism and give the film a raw, gritty look. However, I don't think it has the desired effect and it distracts from the viewing experience rather than enhancing it. It had the potential to be a good film, but I think Von Trier was much too focused on eliciting an emotional response from the audience than anything else.

Anybody ever seen Danger Diabolik? It's a cheesy heist film from Italy. One of the Beastie Boys music videos is a summary of it basically. It's a strange, yet somewhat catchy movie with a groovin soundtrack.

I have to applaud you guys. I am judging you by the movies you review, and to be honest, it doesn't look good. Anyone who is able to sit through Citizen Kane is either very determined or very bored. Anyone discussing Citizen Kane after watching it in one sit, deserves a public spanking.

Watched Platoon, for the first time in 20 years. Brilliant film. Not as good as Apocalypse which has more iconic moments and cinematically, it's on a different planet, but it's as good if not better than FMJ. An accurate film based on Nam by all accounts, which isn't surprising as Oliver Stone actually served in Vietnam. . . I guess it's one of the reasons why I liked it so much. I loved the realism.

I liked Platoon but I felt it didn't add anything after all the brilliant Nam movies that had already been made. But yes, it was based on a true account and Oliver Stone is a brilliant director. I must have seen all his movies.

It's probably the most realistic film based on Nam. Was really easy to watch and all, 2 hours just flew by even though I was knackered.

Since you guys primarily watch film noir and other weird stuff, I momentarily jump the bandwagon, as I have to recommend this movie to you:

"The Man From Earth" starring David Lee Smith.

The poster is way too flashy for the film, a really bad choice in my opinion. It is a really great story. It is so well told, that you don't realize that you haven't moved a muscle for an hour and a half, until the credits roll.
I really don't want to spoil anything, but I can say that "The Man From Earth" is the square root of "Encino Man"+"Highlander" :D

8.5/10

Watched TransFormers last night, massively overhyped and therefore couldn't help but be dissapointed. Parts of the films were genuinely painfull to watch. It was so so so cheesy and totally formula. I only laughed about three times in the whole thing, which wouldn't be bad if there weren't hundreds of crap failing jokes in between. Some moments of action were brilliant and i think in Shia LeBouf they have found the right front man, but other than that it was utter formulaic drivell.

Oh and: Dear Michael Bay,
please stop filming every scene at sundown it is incredibly annoying after a while.
Thanks Sam,
P.S. I really enjoyed The Rock.

Les Diaboliques was good. Although, I sussed out what was going on half way through the film.

edit. I think I'll have to watch the last ten mins again, because the subs went gay on me.

Watched any of those french movies yet?

400 Blows, Les Diaboliques. I'll watch Breathless tonight, possibly Le Samourai too. Shoot the Piano player and Hiroshima Mon Amour have just finished downloading, so I guess I could watch one of them and all.

As for Les Diabliques. Just rewatced the final 10 mins(fecking copy), which I have to say were fantastic. The film left us with an ambiguous ending. What's your take on it?

400 Blows, Les Diaboliques. I'll watch Breathless tonight, possibly Le Samourai too. Shoot the Piano player and Hiroshima Mon Amour have just finished downloading, so I guess I could watch one of them and all.

As for Les Diabliques. Just rewatced the final 10 mins(fecking copy), which I have to say were fantastic. The film left us with an ambiguous ending. What's your take on it?
Fantastic movie. Been a while since I've seen it, so you'll have to remind me who is on top in the end?

Fantastic movie. Been a while since I've seen it, so you'll have to remind me who is on top in the end?

Spoiler:

Basically, Madame Delasalle dies of a heart attack when she sees Michel get out of the bathtub. The mistress and Michel rejoice, only to get gripped by the policeman/detective/whatever a few seconds later. A further on the caretaker talks to the kid with the slingshot, asking him how it got it, to which he replied 'Madame Delasalle gave it to me'. Which was impossible as she had already died. So was that kid making up the story, or was she not actually dead. . .and perhaps teamed up with the old man to get Michel and the Mistress?

Oh yeah. I guess her ghost is haunting and gunning for revenge or something like that. Your thoughts?

I don't think it's a ghost story. The kid could've easily made the story up after getting his slingshot back. Or it the madame could've faked her death with the detective. I hope it's just a trick just to make us think, directors often do that