Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Wickerman

I've not seen this in years and thought I'd give it a watch. It might have lost some of it's original creepiness due to Christianity being less forced on people these days, but that in itself adds an extra layer of strangeness. It's very much of it's time, but it still holds up today. A genius creepy weird horror, with Christopher Lee in great form and Edward Woodward(not that one!) carrying the whole thing with his straight laced cop out of his depth in a place he does not belong. Britt Eklund got very naked and danced around, it's worth seeing just for that. Although in HD you can now see the people dancing nude in the fields weren't nude at all. The outrage!

9/10

Great movie!

Loved the creepiness, the music, the songs.

The landlord's daughter OMG :drool:

By the end of the movie I was celebrating. The religion practiced in the island was way more enlightened than the classical religions.

8/10

Great movie!

Loved the creepiness, the music, the songs.

The landlord's daughter OMG :drool:

By the end of the movie I was celebrating. The religion practiced in the island was way more enlightened than the classical religions.

8/10
Brit Eklund. She's also in one of the Roger Moore Bond movies too. The Man with the Golden Gun I think. She's very scantily clad in that too.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Third instalment in the Wick franchise, not as loud as Chapter 2 but a lot more slick. After a blistering start and an awesome opening death, the film plateaus into standard shoot 'em up fare. How Reeves puts his body through this level of intensity at his age is a credit to him. Don't know how he's going to get through Chapter 4.

Some brilliant set pieces and gruesome deaths makes for 'enjoyable' viewing. The sequence with Halle Berry and her two dogs was one of the best action sequences I've seen in a long time...freakin' awesome. I'm just putting it out there peoples....Halle Berry is 52! Let that just sink in for one moment. Watching her kick ass was worth the price of the ticket alone.

The film takes us further into the world that Wick has gradually been sucked back into over the three films with the emphasis on the codes and principles that this shady underworld are bound by, along with the introduction of new characters. Dispensing with unnecessary build up at the beginning, the film cuts straight to the chase and just dives right in. Fast paced, relentless and guaranteed to make you wince in places, this instalment veers towards the Raid I and II style of fight choreography, which is to be expected I suppose, seeing as the main antagonists from both of those aforementioned films, Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman get to do their stuff here too.

Films have certainly come a long way in what they can do in terms of realism when shooting action sequences. Honourable mentions also have to go to the horse and motorbike sequences. Not much in the way of dialogue but what is used is put to good effect in moving the story along. But people are not going to be watching a John Wick film expecting lengthy monologues as people circle round each other.

Thoroughly enjoyable stuff. Gotta watch it again for Berry and her dogs.

I'm giving this an 8/10.

The Arrival?
Vaguely remember that. Wasn't that an actual invasion of sorts though?

Yeah, with Ron Silver. No similarity to the Amy Adams film apart from the title and the fact that it involved aliens but either way it was a much better movie. They were in the days when Sheen was good. It was a hit when it came out if I remember correctly.

Third instalment in the Wick franchise, not as loud as Chapter 2 but a lot more slick. After a blistering start and an awesome opening death, the film plateaus into standard shoot 'em up fare. How Reeves puts his body through this level of intensity at his age is a credit to him. Don't know how he's going to get through Chapter 4.

Some brilliant set pieces and gruesome deaths makes for 'enjoyable' viewing. The sequence with Halle Berry and her two dogs was one of the best action sequences I've seen in a long time...freakin' awesome. I'm just putting it out there peoples....Halle Berry is 52! Let that just sink in for one moment. Watching her kick ass was worth the price of the ticket alone.

The film takes us further into the world that Wick has gradually been sucked back into over the three films with the emphasis on the codes and principles that this shady underworld are bound by, along with the introduction of new characters. Dispensing with unnecessary build up at the beginning, the film cuts straight to the chase and just dives right in. Fast paced, relentless and guaranteed to make you wince in places, this instalment veers towards the Raid I and II style of fight choreography, which is to be expected I suppose, seeing as the main antagonists from both of those aforementioned films, Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman get to do their stuff here too.

Films have certainly come a long way in what they can do in terms of realism when shooting action sequences. Honourable mentions also have to go to the horse and motorbike sequences. Not much in the way of dialogue but what is used is put to good effect in moving the story along. But people are not going to be watching a John Wick film expecting lengthy monologues as people circle round each other.

I'm giving this an 8/10.
Berry was unreal! Can't believe she's 52. Back to her Catwoman glory days.

It was an excellent film, I'd give it an 8/10. But I felt it should have been the end of the franchise, it crossed the line into too ridiculous several times and the story has completely fallen apart. All these secret assassins charging at people in the street with knives, ordinary people just ignoring murders, the finger thing. They are supposed to be clandestine, but most of them are covered in tattoos that make them stand out. Often on their faces! They were almost going full ninja at times too. I think if they keep trying to up the ante from this it's going to cross the line from insane to stupid.

The fight with the The Raid guys got kind of hilarious, it looked like he was fighting hobbits and he resorted to just repeatedly slapping one of them in the back of the head. Mark Dacascos....what the feck? Where did he come from? I've not seen him in years.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with the cinema. Why can't people just sit down and shut the feck up? Guy a few rows back would not shut up, if I could have seen who it was I'd have made some sort of impromptu sling with my shirt and launched my shoe at him or just gone up and offered to break his jaw but that's less Magyver. If I ever become a dictator then talking in the cinema will get you a public execution. Also I've never been in a cinema which had so many people going out and in to the toilet. It was every 2 minutes someone was going out, half the time they were passing each other as one left and one returned. It went on for the whole film, to the point I stopped eating the popcorn and drinking the coke in case there was something up with it. Then I thought maybe the apocalypse is finally happening. Then I thought maybe they are all going outside to meet up and I'm the only one not invited. They were freaking me out, I've never seen such a parade of pissers.

The Day After Tomorrow (2004)

Good God, what a corny, clichéd pile of polar bear poop. White America saves the world...again. Disastrous disaster movie.

1/10

Good God, what a corny, clichéd pile of polar bear poop. White America saves the world...again. Disastrous disaster movie.

1/10

Awww, I kind of liked that movie, it was dumb with pretty shit cgi (those wolves). But at least it was a bit different to the normal "tornado/storm destroys everything". On top of that they have a nice message at the end with Mexico reversing the border. Although I did think Emmy Rossum was pretty hot so that may have warped my like for this film.

If you're watching a disaster film then I thought the Norwegian film called The Wave was pretty decent.

I'm giving this an 8/10.

I'm still struggling with Lance Reddick's character's accent. What African country is he supposed to be from?

The first action scene with Boban and the Asians, and the scene with Halle and the dogs were great. Otherwise the movie dragged on a bit.

Berry was unreal! Can't believe she's 52. Back to her Catwoman glory days.

It was an excellent film, I'd give it an 8/10. But I felt it should have been the end of the franchise, it crossed the line into too ridiculous several times and the story has completely fallen apart. All these secret assassins charging at people in the street with knives, ordinary people just ignoring murders, the finger thing. They are supposed to be clandestine, but most of them are covered in tattoos that make them stand out. Often on their faces! They were almost going full ninja at times too. I think if they keep trying to up the ante from this it's going to cross the line from insane to stupid.

The fight with the The Raid guys got kind of hilarious, it looked like he was fighting hobbits and he resorted to just repeatedly slapping one of them in the back of the head. Mark Dacascos....what the feck? Where did he come from? I've not seen him in years.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with the cinema. Why can't people just sit down and shut the feck up? Guy a few rows back would not shut up, if I could have seen who it was I'd have made some sort of impromptu sling with my shirt and launched my shoe at him or just gone up and offered to break his jaw but that's less Magyver. If I ever become a dictator then talking in the cinema will get you a public execution. Also I've never been in a cinema which had so many people going out and in to the toilet. It was every 2 minutes someone was going out, half the time they were passing each other as one left and one returned. It went on for the whole film, to the point I stopped eating the popcorn and drinking the coke in case there was something up with it. Then I thought maybe the apocalypse is finally happening. Then I thought maybe they are all going outside to meet up and I'm the only one not invited. They were freaking me out, I've never seen such a parade of pissers.

Yeah, fully agree with the killing in plain sight not even raising an eyebrow and half of the population being secret assassins. That was a bit dumb. Expected more Berry but as I said her part in the film was great. No appearance from Ruby Rose either? Anyway, they can only genuinely squeeze out one more movie from this franchise, which looks like it's heading towards it's big climax anyway.

Oh, and on a side note, I would've drunk Halle Berry's water right in front of her! :drool::lol:

As for the cinema thing, that's why I only go during work hours and check the seating take-up before hand. That pisses me off too...and I have shut people down a few times before too.

Watched Blood Diamond the other day after reading a book on a similar subject. Really enjoyed it, stellar cast and a fascinating portrayal of the negative consequences that can come to pass due to our harvesting of natural resources. Fantastic score from James Newton Howard too. Well worth a watch, even if you've only ever heard the term conflict diamond and wouldn't what it meant. 4/5

Aliens (1986)

Keep up with all the latest releases by subscribing to my newsletter: outdatedtwat @gmial.com

But seriously, Aliens is still a cracking adventure.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Watched Blood Diamond the other day after reading a book on a similar subject. Really enjoyed it, stellar cast and a fascinating portrayal of the negative consequences that can come to pass due to our harvesting of natural resources. Fantastic score from James Newton Howard too. Well worth a watch, even if you've only ever heard the term conflict diamond and wouldn't what it meant. 4/5

Whenever my wife asks me where her wedding ring is, i'll often reply "WHERE IS THE DIAMOND? DO YOU SEE A DIAMOND?" ...

I imagine it probably makes her question why she's even married to me.

1/10
You should do a double feature evening including 2012. Cracking film that too.
Awww, I kind of liked that movie, it was dumb with pretty shit cgi (those wolves). But at least it was a bit different to the normal "tornado/storm destroys everything". On top of that they have a nice message at the end with Mexico reversing the border. Although I did think Emmy Rossum was pretty hot so that may have warped my like for this film.
It is incredibly dumb but weirdly watchable. I also had a friend back at uni who was obsessed with the film and truly believed the """science""" of it held up. Nutjob.
Whenever my wife asks me where her wedding ring is, i'll often reply "WHERE IS THE DIAMOND? DO YOU SEE A DIAMOND?" ...

I imagine it probably makes her question why she's even married to me.
:lol: I'll marry you if she dumps you

Cheers for the tip, mate. I'll have to buy that.
Get the director's cut. If there's no director's cut I'll make one for you.
Being chased down corridors by ice is real man. It was on Game of Thrones too, what more do you need?
Ffs spoilers I'm not up to date.

But does Jake Gyllenhaal show his tits in GoT?

Booksmart (2019) - 7.5/10

Didn't think it'd live up to all the hype but it kind of did. Pretty fun. All-girls version of Superbad. Except with a bit more heart.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow

The scene in which the ambulance crew miraculously arrive to take away the kid who had cancer reminded me of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ab3d838f-0d2d-4346-ab88-91f75f2645f4

Hilarious heroism.

Gotta be one cynical mofo to mock the dedication, bravery, commitment, and selflessness of the United States Coast Guard.

I was mocking the movie portrayal of such heroes, chief.

Widows
Three widows plan to finish off the heist their husbands died trying to accomplish. Not usually a fan of Steve McQueen films bit this one was more to my taste. Thought it was tense, well shot and acted superb. Viola Davis needs to reign it in a bit though, too dramatic. Had a great time watching it 7.5/10

I was mocking the movie portrayal of such heroes, chief.

Yeah I got that. I blame my no-smilies policy. Would have tossed a wink in there just to be safe.

The Guardian (2006)

The best US Coast Guard rescue swimmer movie ever made, and perhaps coincidentally also starring one Sela Ward, who plays the doctor trying to save a kid with cancer in The Day After Tomorrow, which also has some coast guard stuff in it.

It was all a bit 'America saves the day!' for me, mate - even the President 'did the right thing' unlike his crappy VP.

Monster Hunter

Low budget film about a monster that has surprisingly little hunting of said monster. It did have some hunters though so maybe it should have been called Monster and Hunter, I dunno, if you call a film Monster Hunter I expect a lot of monster hunting. I mean what do you think happens in Goblin Slayer? Lots of goblin slaying is what happens in Goblin Slayer. Assholes.

I actually found it surprisingly watchable, they keep the monster reveal low key until near the end and it's all handled very well. It feels like a film from the 90's, reminded me a bit of that Ben Affleck film Phantoms. Although it annoyed me that they made such a big deal about the tracks being three sectioned hoof prints and the monsters feet did not look like they matched those tracks at all. Looked like the tracks should at the very least have had claws in front too.

I dunno what else to say about it, but it was better than the utter trash I expected despite the wild lies in its title. I liked the ending too, I've not seen an ending like that in a while.

6/10

I couldn't find it by name on IMDB either, had to search one of the actors. It is called Monster Hunter though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2251281/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

Thanks. Actually that Phantoms reference got me interested in it, even though that film sucked a bit. Some interesting stuff there though, and I liked some of Dean Koontz's stuff.

I was about to say that movie doesn't come out for a while yet.

Next Paul Anderson - Milla Jovovich masterpiece. :cool:

Phantoms was da bomb, yo! I actually can't remember much about Phantoms, except that I enjoyed it until it got to the end and it kind of fell apart. I can't quite put my finger on why this reminded me of it, other than small town sherriff dealing with things beyond his imagination. It's not brilliant or anything, but at least it's not a Resident Evil film. I'll give it that much.

Thanks. Actually that Phantoms reference got me interested in it, even though that film sucked a bit. Some interesting stuff there though, and I liked some of Dean Koontz's stuff.

Next Paul Anderson - Milla Jovovich masterpiece. :cool:

Anything with Milla is worth a watch. They broke the mold with her.